“Hidden Jewel of Cabo” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
South Dakota
“Hidden Jewel of Cabo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2007

We arrived at the sunset beach on Christmas day and left New Years Day! From the minute we came over the hill I was impressed. This resort is absolutely breathtaking. I have stayed at many resorts in Mexico and have had no desire to go back, but I will definately be visiting the SB again. Our check in was easy. I rented a timeshare from someone off the internet and had no problems. The whole resort is very clean. Our room (922) was awesome. Every room faces the ocean. Our balcony was huge. We enjoyed many evenings on it. The room was very clean and the beds very comfortable. I could lay in bed at night with the terrace door open and hear and see the ocean. One night I even awoke to see a cruise ship passing by. I was awake every morning to see the sun rise. The sunrises and sunsets were absolutely incredible. The pools were not overly crowded. The main pool by the ocean was always pretty full, but there are 3 other pools that would only have a handful of people at them. All of the pools have hot tubs and swim up bars. Nothing I have ever seen before at other resorts. The new sky pool at the top of the resort is awesome. We sat in the hot tub one night and watched the sunset. It was incredible. I will have to admit we did not eat at any of restaurants. We cooked breakfast in our room and tried different restaurants in town every night. I did eat by the pool a couple of times. The food was good, not great. There are two delis, one located near the lobby and one by the main pool. Cab rides into town cost around $12.00-$15.00. There were six of us in our group. We did not take the shuttle into any of the other resorts. I do not like to be on a time schedule! We enjoyed the carts that took us around. All of the cart drivers are very nice, along with the whole staff at the resort. We did walk alot to the main pool and up to the lobby. Our room was centered between the two. We only got asked once when we checked in to go to a timeshare presentation. We said no and we were never bothered again. We had a cart driver on the first day named Manuel who gave us a tour of the whole resort. He was very nice. He let us see a presidential suite. Wow! We were in an executive and I thought that was nice, but the presidential was unreal. We had an awesome trip thanks to this resort being so wonderful. We will definately go back.

• Liked — The spectacular rooms and their views and the wonderful pools!
  • Disliked — Restaurant Prices
  • Tips/Secrets — Pictures do not do this place justice. You will be blown away when you arrive.
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,121)
seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2007

This was our second stay at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach and although our first stay was wonderful, I always think that perhaps they know it is our first stay so they make sure to treat us extra nice. Thus, the second stay. It was as wonderful as the first! Not only is the resort lovely and its location secluded from the noise and traffic of the city, but the staff is among the friendliest of any resort I have stayed at around the world. The resort also offers a variety of settings and activities to appeal to both couples and families alike. We are returning to Pueblo Bonito this April and are looking forward to another wonderful experience.

Stayed October 2006
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2007

This is a wonderful property with all the amentities! The hotel staff was excellent. I actually enjoyed having transportation via the golf carts. It prevented long arduous walks. The beach at this hotel is not for swimming as the tides are too crazy on that side of Cabo. However you can take free shuttles to the other Pueblo Bonito properties(Rose and Blanco). I highly recommend this resort.

Tamara
California

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Malvern, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2006

A great location overlooking the Pacific, but what is up with the golf carts? Pools were very nice, especially the Sky pool, but is very annoying having to ride the golf carts all the time. The PBS is built on the side of a mountain and requires you to ride in golf carts to get around or walk like a mountain goat. Grounds are very nice, and food at La Friedas is excellent, but pricey. I would return, but would not be my first choice, since beach access is limited to riding in the carts.

• Liked — Pools
  • Disliked — riding in golf carts
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2006

I had such a wonderful stay when I visited Sunset Beach with a relative last February that I couldn't wait to go back. Yes, I did buy a timeshare, and it was the best thing I ever did!! I checked many of the other timeshare resorts during my stay last Feb, and nothing compared. The high pressure tactics at some of the other places were repellent. Not so at Sunset. If you're not interested, just say so, and they are respectful. It is so remarkably beautiful and serene, and the quality of service is extraordinary. Spas are also a big thing for me, so I tried them at several other places, and was very disappointed. They were not as luxurious or clean as Sunset. The Sunset Beach spa was pure bliss. The food was incredible, the new sky pool was open and it was outstanding, and the weather couldn't have been better. Maybe I could have gotten a cheaper deal on E-bay, or a timeshare resale site, but I wouldn't have gotten the 99 year deal, or many of the bonuses like Premier Bonito. Plus their staff was exceptional and went out of their way to assist me. They feel like family. I came home relaxed and refreshed, and am planning another trip in a few months. Now you can arrive any day you want to, rather than just Mondays or Fridays as was the only options in the past, so that makes it even more attractive. From the airport, I did a quick shop at the big Mega store in San Jose for groceries and wonderful prepared foods (great rotisserie chicken!) and wine, water, etc. because I didn't want to go out the first nite I got in. Last time I went to Costco on my way to my resort and had to buy such large quantities of things, I wound up throwing alot out, and it was such a waste. Mega is sort of like a WalMart and you can buy food or a TV. CityClub in Cabo is like a Costco, and you can get a day pass, but the selection is not as good-but it's convenient. I suggest if you rent a car,on the way from the airport, go to Mega and stock up. Then head straight to Sunset Beach!!

• Liked — Magnificent Location-a bit away from the crowds, and no cruise ships in view, just sea and sky!!
  • Disliked — The business center-not enough computers.Internet access should be available in rooms.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Alexandria, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2006

We have just returned from a week at this property and it exceeded our expectations. The photos actually don’t do it justice. The entire staff was friendly and helpful. The food was excellent and generally priced reasonably. Be sure to take advantage of the rolling 2for1 happy hour (starting at 2pm it moves every hour from bar to bar on the property…it seems like it’s always happy hour somewhere on the property) This property sits on a beautiful, near deserted stretch of Pacific beach (unsafe to swim in) a short trip away from the bustle of downtown ($10 cab ride for up to 4 people). It’s sister properties (Blanco and Rose) are easily accessible by a free luxury shuttle and provide swim-able beach, additional restaurant options and access to the city.
One caveat , this property is about fractional ownership and they will apply mild pressure to attend a 90 minute presentation. If you can restrain yourself from buying it can be pretty lucrative hour and half (we received $250 toward room charges and $60 toward the spa plus a lot of local knowledge from our sales representative). After attending the presentation we were left alone completely to enjoy the rest of our vacation

• Liked — price to quality ratio...lot of hotel for the money
  • Disliked — No internet in the rooms
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2006

My wife and I stayed here the week of July 4th, 2006, and except for a few minor complaints, I feel we made a great choice.

First off, we bought a 1 bedroom timeshare for a week off a public timeshare website. The reason for this was simple: We wanted a 1 bedroom suite (which the hotel has many of), but we also wanted a full kitchen (which the hotel itself does NOT have any of!). If you book a 1 bedroom through the hotel directly, they cannot assign you a suite with a kitchen. You must either have a timeshare at the property, or buy it for a week off someone who does, which is what we did. I am told that both types of suites are nearly identical, except for the kitchen facilities of course.

The suite was amazing! Very large living room with TV, big kitchen and counter space, two bathrooms (one in hallway, one in bedroom), massive porch, which extended across the living room and out to the bedroom, each with its own entrance...the porch was the biggest I've ever seen...we could have had 30 people for a BBQ out there! The bedroom was also very large, with its own TV and separate sitting area. Bedroom bathroom was also large, with a separate bathtub (with French doors that opened up directly into the bedroom) and glass door shower. Lots and lots of closet space, drawers, shelves, etc. I believe all porches and views overlook the ocean, and ours was no exception. Spectacular views, overlooking the Pacific and the rest of the property.

Only two complaints about the suite: First, the hallway bathroom had an ant problem (as did the kitchen, but on a much smaller scale). They came to spray each day as we requested, but the ants just kept coming back. Eventually, we just gave up and simply “closed off” that bathroom and didn't use it. A small annoyance, but from what we heard from other people who have been to Cabo, the ant problem will be at any hotel you stay at. Second problem was that ALL the one bedroom timeshare suites only come with two double beds! No King bed is available at all. The owner of the timeshare who sold it to me did not tell me...but then again, I didn't ask either. The beds are very nice and comfortable...just too small in my opinion for two grown adults. I guess we could have each slept in our own bed and had more room, but what's the point?

The resort is beautiful…and massive! There are at least 3 separate pool areas, each with its own swim-up bar, Jacuzzi and two-level pool. And you can easily jump down from the top level to the bottom level of the pool...very cool. The biggest pool also has a sort of Jacuzzi, circular, shaded, waterway that you can sit in, walk through, play in…very unique and something I’ve never seen before. But the water is not hot…so it’s more of a “massage” type of waterway. I doubt there is any resort in all of Cabo that can compare to not only the layouts and beauty of the pools but of the number of pools as well.

Although we were fairly close to the main lobby area, we were far from any of the pools. Unless we wanted to hike it, we needed to call a golf cart to pick us up. The cart service at the lobby and the pool areas is not a problem, as there are always carts ready for you. From your room however, it’s hit or miss: They might come in two minutes, they might come in 15…or they might not come at all unless you call a second time and they act surprised like you had never called before. However, as most reviewers state, it’s not that bad to have to walk around, especially if you’re in decent shape.

The place was so big that as my wife and I were checking out on the last day and enjoying the view from the bar area in the lobby looking down over the resort…I said to her, “Honey, I don’t recall ever going into that pool down there.” And she said, “Which pool?” And I said, “The one right next to the beach!” So apparently we actually missed swimming in one of the pools, even though we had gone all around and thought we had swum in all of them.

The spa is nice and the massage was very good. The attitude of the people behind the desk was not the best, but overall it was very nice. There is a huge store/deli/restaurant on the premises. Not the cheapest place, but they do have almost everything you could want: Sodas, snacks, fresh fruit, made-to-order sandwiches, ice cream, alcohol, frappuccinos, etc. There is a huge, nicely air-conditioned tour bus that departs the resort every hour to take you to the sister resort (Rose) which is in the heart of downtown and a few minute walk to the city center. Because of taxi regulations, the bus can’t stop or drop you off on the street, but the walk from the Rose to the shopping area is very short. We used this bus on many occasions. It’s also takes you back from the Rose to the Sunset.

Another small van will take you back and forth from the Sunset to the neighboring Pacifica resort. You have to go there once! It’s completely the opposite of the Sunset. It’s very nice and serene…but quiet…eerily quiet! In fact, it’s too quiet. It’s an adult-only resort…the pools are beautiful, the service is great…but I could never spend more than a day there. We never saw more than 20 people by the pool area, but yet we were told it was completely sold out. If you want to hear a pin drop with no screaming kids for your entire trip, than this is the place for you.

I really feel compelled to make one very important observation and refute many previous reviewers who said that the timeshare people were rude and never stopped pressuring them to take a tour. I too did not want to take the timeshare tour, and told my wife as much. She insisted that we do it. So we played good cop/bad cop at the timeshare desk. After about 10 minutes of negotiating with the two very nice young women there, we got a promise of $150 in vouchers ($100 for the Spa and $50 for the restaurants and pool side services) as well as multiple drink coupons. In fact every time we passed the front desk throughout our stay and merely smiled at the timeshare people, they would hand us coupons. And each coupon is for 2 free drinks. By the time we left the resort, we still had coupons left over because we couldn’t use them all; between the $50 voucher and the dozens of drink coupons we kept getting, we didn’t pay a dime for any drinks for the entire week! How can that NOT be worth 90 minutes of your time one morning?

They promised it would not last more than 90 minutes…and they were right. It lasted exactly 90 minutes. The tour included a huge buffet breakfast with American style food. Our tour guide was actually American. After the 90 minutes, when she knew we were not going to purchase anything, she seemed a bit sad…but she went out and got us our $150 in vouchers and off we went. No pressure, no gimmicks. The women who got us to sign up for the tour were very up front in telling us that they get about $20 for each couple they sign up…so they make a little money and the guests make a lot of money, so who loses?

Overall, it’s a beautiful resort with amazing pool areas, very large 1 bedroom suites with great views, and excellent free shuttle services. I would highly recommend the Sunset to anyone looking for a variety of fun things to do at a resort…because as we can attest, you can spend a whole week here and STILL not see the entire resort!

• Liked — The Pools!
  • Disliked — Ant problem in the Suite
  • Tips/Secrets — Buy a timeshare off a private individual for the best deals
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach? Share your experiences!