“Beautiful Resort - Great for Families” 5 of 5 stars

45-50% Off All-Inclusive
Ranked #28 of 68 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Francisco, California
“Beautiful Resort - Great for Families”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

We just got back from spring break at PBSB. The weather was perfect, the views were breathtaking, the staff was welcoming, this resort is first class. We stayed in building 40 which is so new, it's not even on the resort map. There was a pool right outside our building which was great for a quick dip any time of day and much quieter than the Main Pool.

We were able to get free wireless internet access from the balcony of our room which was very convenient.

If you are not interested in a timeshare, just say no. Don't sign up for one, cave to sales pressure and then blast the hotel due to buyer's remorse. We went on a presentation, it took 2 hours , we declined and received $200 in resort credit which we gladly used at the pool bars and The Bistro (please note, Deli items are not applicable towards the resort credit).

We were traveling with a 5 & 8 year old who loved spending time in the pools and swimming up to the pool bars for Shirley Temples.

We had no troubles with the Free Shuttle and always got on the next available even though we were traveling with 8 (two families traveling together). PB Rose and Blanco were fun to visit and the kids loved browsing the vendors on Medano beach however we always breathed a sigh of relief coming back to PBSB. It is the resort for those who want to get away from the hustle and bustle of downtown and just relax.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,119)
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

We are a 30-something couple, with no kids. We stayed in a 1 bed/2 bath Executive Suite with kitchenette at PBSB for 5 nights at the end of March, 2010. We stayed in building 23, on the 5th floor. Words and pictures can't begin do this place justice....seriously. It is a beautiful resort, with AMAZING views. Our room and balcony were HUGE, and very nicely decorated. Having 2 bathrooms was very convenient. The service was great, prices were surprisingly reasonable, and the maids were very thorough. We ate at La Nao, the pools, and got room service, and all the meals were great. I can't say enough great things about this place.

I'll admit, I'm really bad about writing reviews, and usually only write one if I'm not happy with something. But, I felt I had to share our great experience at PBSB, because this place really deserved it. It truly was the closest thing to perfect we've ever experienced on a vacation.

Between the two of us, we've stayed at resorts in the Bahamas, Hawaii, Cancun, and throughout the US, along with the ME and the Riu Palace in Cabo, but this was our all-time favorite...hands down. We can't wait to go back!

I would highly recommend this resort to everyone. Especially couples and families.

Keep in mind, this resort would NOT be an ideal place for singles, or party-goers who are looking to be close to the bars, and in the middle of the action. PBSB is quiet, remote, and not close to the action of Medano Beach.

Also, if being able to swim in the ocean is a big priority, this would not be a good choice, since you are not allowed to get in the water because of the strong currents and undertow. But, with 6 infinity pools with swim-up bars to choose from, it did not bother us one bit. We took the free shuttle to the PB Rose one day and swam in the Sea of Cortez at Medano Beach to get it out of our system. We aren't much for swimming in the ocean anyway, so we preferred hearing the sound of the large waves crashing and seeing the amazing sunsets at PBSB.

If you are looking for a peaceful, scenic, tranquil, romantic resort in Cabo, look no further than PBSB. You will NOT be disappointed. It doesn't get any better than PBSB.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Detroit
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

We rented a timeshare unit online from an owner. Wow. Nice one bedroom, two full baths, kitchen, living room and balcony. We rented it was less cost than most hotel rooms in Cabo.

I'll start with saying this place is suitable for families of all ages. We had a 5 year old with us who just loved it. She used the kids club 2 1/2 days. We had a to tear her away from it, she wanted to go everyday. They made t-shirts, kites, ceramic painted hands, pictureframes, etc. It really was great. No guilty feeling about leaving her there, she begged to go. All of the pools had kids. Some were packed with kids, others had a few. We even saw kids at the Sky Pool. Kids are allowed to bring inflatables in the pools too(they even sell them). When our daughter was not in kids club she was in the pool. Great time had by the whole family!

This resort is HUGE. The climb up and down the hill could be a challenge for some. We had a mix of some walking and some golf cart rides. We never seemed to quite get the golf cart routine down, we'd call ahead and no one showed up. No big deal we just caught one somewhere else or walked.

The one recurring problem were towels at the pool. If you wanted fresh pool towels in the afternoon you're out of luck. They run out after lunch. If you go for a late afternoon dip (4:00 p.m.) you'd better already have a room towel or plan to stay wet. This happened to us two straight days so we decided to hold a pool towel in the room if our daughter wanted a p.m. swim. Apparently everyone must do this.

The beach is secluded and quite. They did have cabanas and chairs on the beach. I know that's been a back and forth topic of discussion. We stuck to the pools. We did drive over to Medano Beach and enjoyed Spring Break on two days. Great party over there!

We had our own car so we rarely ate at the resort. What we had was a bit pricey but good. We hit several restaurants in town and some taco stands too.

We have visited several other hotels in Cabo and San Jose and this one ranked right up there. It was a bit too large for us to consider the best, but we would definitely go back if the owner rented to us again.

Beverly Hills
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

1. No room cleaning second day, removed and did not replace towels while at pool, no hair conditioner.
2. 40 % discount for massage offset by 10% tax and 13% "service charge "after we paid $20.00 tips.
3. "Donation" charged on every bill for every day to Ernest Coppel's wife, Leticia: "Donativo Fundacion Letty Coppel....12.00 (pesos)" That is $1.50 for every room for every day! Who are these people?
4. Coppel personally enforces 10 am check out with "gangster" routine. Though we specifically obtained an 11 am checkout when we checked in, this is what automatically happened the morning we left: Maid walks through our locked door at 8:15 am to offer "Room cleaning!"; baggage valet knocks loudly at door at 8:45 to announce "Are your bags ready? Its check out time!" At 9:45 am, bell captain telephones to unilaterally announce that "Check out time is ten o'clock". He would not respond when we tried to explain our one hour extension.
5. Registration removed the $1.50 "donation" per day to the owner's wife but couldn't explain what it was for.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Lake Oswego, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

We loved our stay at this resort. It is very clean and quiet, and has all the amenities a family could need. The service was excellent, and every room has a view of the beautiful beach. While one cannot swim at this beach, the resort has free shuttles to its sister hotel. The sister hotel (Pueblo Bonita Rose) is right on Medano Beach, the "happening" beach scene for the wilder side of Cabo. My teens enjoyed the ability of our family to easily visit this beach, we parents enjoyed the quiet of Pueblo Bonita Sunset. There are many swimming pools at this resort; they are never crowded and they all have full-service food and beverage service. The "sky pool" is located at the top of the resort and has an unsurpassed view of the gorgeous beach. While the resort is huge and spread-out, golf carts connect all parts of the resort, and the golf carts arrive within minutes of requesting one. Two notes: be sure to reserve tickets in advance to the shuttles between hotels; sometimes they sell out. Also, our unit kitchen did not include an oven--not a problem as long as you know in advance (i.e., don't plan lasagna for dinner).

Portland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

RE: Pueblo Bonito Cabo San Lucas - Nov 2009

This was our first anniversary and sharing my great disappointment in the referral as well as the “oversell” of my timeshare presentation on the standards and quality of the restaurants and the overall interactions of the establishment. I was told this was a 5 star location with awards given to the restaurants. I beg to differ.

My husband and I arrived on Saturday afternoon and decided to eat dinner at La Nao. It was very busy and they were serving the Prime Rib Special. We did get seated (after a very long and unorganized wait). The wait staff seemed pleasant. The Prime Rib was below any Prime Rib quality we had seen and I ordered Tuna – which was fine…however during our whole meal the wait staff continued to shove chairs next to us between the music and wall, which was disruptive and not very professional for the restaurant. I did mention it to a waiter upon leaving. The dinner included Spanish Coffee… there was a presentation about three tables away - and no one mentioned for us to watch or did the waiter catch all who he was preparing for - suddenly a Spanish Coffee is slapped down at our table. We were not impressed.
The next day we had our timeshare presentation, it was informative and they talked about the great restaurants, as well as the overall of “Pueblo Bonito” and the company. We ended up buying a Timeshare. The resort was spectacular – beautiful grounds, pools and the rooms were lovely. We did however, move from our original hotel room in bldg 29 due to unclean drapes (food stains on them) as well as the furniture (upholstery) looked filthy. We moved to bldg. 30 (also another hotel suite - it had two beds instead of the King requested when we booked) - also we booked for a timeshare Suite (with kitchen) and when we indicated that at the front desk they said they did not have any room options for us available. After our timeshare presentation (we still did not get upgraded to a timeshare unit with kitchen suite as none were available or moved to a timeshare suite as we were supposed to have been booked).

After our timeshare meeting we spent the day at the pool – and had dinner at the Bistro. We were told to check out the Bistro and the wait was very long to be seated and again very unorganized. Dinner was average – very slow service and we were not impressed at either of our dinner choices (Nachos and I had a pasta dish). At this point we are having second thoughts on the “quality” of the food and in purchasing a timeshare. The resort was beautiful yet the other issues were outweighing the good.
The next day we ate breakfast (I had eggs – that had egg shells in them). I have now commented numerous times on the poor food and quality. We went to the pool and ended up eating lunch at the Sky Pool at the top of the resort– Chicken quesadilla for myself. Later that day I was not feeling well. Oh, and we saw a cockroach on the walking path when we left the pool. We ended up getting room service for my husband - I was becoming sicker by the minute. Our timeshare guy was kind enough to coordinate a doctor to come to the room. The next THREE DAYS I remained quite ill. I managed to eat little and enjoy only few hours at the pool. In conversations with a few other guests throughout the three days, there were 2-3 couples per day with similar food related issues. We all had eaten at the restaurants and had cocktails – at the resort.

Come Thursday we have been eating room service and both breakfasts served had issues ( egg shells again in the eggs, packaged special K ( stale from a brand new box and warm milk ) and items were delivered incorrectly - we are NOT happy with the quality of the food or service at all. Also, let me mention the nearby fumigation going on and thus cockroaches running thru our room and patio. The next day at the pool (sky pool) we ran into a few others who were having stomach cramping, indigestion and other issues of food poisoning or food contamination At this point we do not even have the resources to cook our own as we are still in a hotel room versus a timeshare suite with a kitchen.

The second to the last night along with the last night we end up going out to eat downtown (as I am feeling able to ride in a taxi off site) and have two nice meals with incredible service and quality food. I have been in the food industry for over 15 years and am very in tune to quality of food, food handling practices, and sanitation. I saw numerous issues with hand washing and basic HAACP standards where hands were not washed before handling food or assisting with cocktails, napkins dirty on the tables.

Our last breakfast in the Bistro was the day before we left – we sat down and the waiter opens up a napkin ( it is dirty ) and then reaches for another to set up on the table and it too is dirty – all 4 napkins on our table were dirty, stained and yet even the wait staff did not act too concerned …as they run to find some and come back with round two of napkins (three more are brought over - all dirty) … and these are all folded up and ready to set! Food, berry juice, stains…. oh my gosh! At this point I am absolutely furious and we should have walked out – they should have reset the whole table and I still don’t understand why they did not!?!? If this is the situation out in front of customers I hate to think what the standards are in the back of the house??
The meal took an additional 45 minutes to order an egg omelet and waffles. I have just about had enough with the whole restaurant, staff and food to last a lifetime.

In closing – we check out and a bit ( once again ) confusion on the shuttle and how you need to “prepay” prior to standing in line had us holding up others as they waited due to lack of staff on hand to support those checking out. Despite the restaurants (which are so important when one is on vacation and not having access to a kitchen in order to cook or supplement a menu) we thought the resort was pretty and the spa was fabulous. I am overly concerned with the food – and as we headed in a cab to the airport (three new couples sharing the cab ride back) all had eaten at La Noa and the Bistro and suffered similar ill effects. There were too many sick people for a one week timeframe to call this normal.

I truly believe The Pueblo Bonito Resort and sister resorts have some major food issues and despite "what quality" they are supposed to be - food safety should be their #1 concern. I would never recommend any of the restaurants and if we end up returning we will cook or go out - the wait staff, though friendly, has no clue as to what constitutes a 5 star service. It is best to not oversell yourselves, and then so under deliver. I felt the "fluff" of how great they were did not reflect the quality on a day to day basis.

The MOST DISAPPOINTING THING IS THIS - after we wrote a similar letter directly to the hotel manager we did not even get a response from ANYONE...until our second attempt. The lack of concern in regards to both service and food safety was absolutely unexceptable. We have two other timeshares we have never run into these issues or had any health issues from our resorts food or beverage. This "Premier so called Group" needs to "care" about their customers make some major improvements!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2010

Get advanced tranportation set up thru Cape Travel. Get off plane, get lugage, go outside of airport go get your TRANSPORTATION! do not stop inside, REPEAT go outside! That means thru the doors that lead to fresh air people! enough said! First of all, the property is clean, clean, clean! What a wounderful place to walk into. We stayed at a different pool each day. What a great thing not having to go to the same pool everyday for a week! Pool food is very good and reasonably priced. Happy hour at pools 3-4pm good drinks! Took the bus to the Rose "its very pink daddy" says my 7yr old. Yes it is I replied! Enough said!Want bus tickets! just plan ahead!( Not 5min ahead people! use some common sense! your not the only ones on vacation!). Eat breakfast at the bistro! Pancakes (daughter),Creamchese bagle(Wife), Egg sandwich(I) plus a fresh squeezed glass of carrot juice for all (Highly recommend). Dinner (Go downtown) marthas, margaritta, la galleria (Not as good as the last time we went) explore your options. In a pinch order a pizza for the kids or youself at the bistro. Everything you need is right on site so if you forgot anything, they will have it at the little store(s)on site which are a little overpriced so as to jog your memory and not forget that suntan lotation,tooth brushes,lip balm ect......on your next visit right! Great place! Highly recommended we will be back for CHRISTMAS!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Been to Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach? Share your experiences!