“Looks great, can't wait to stay” 4 of 5 stars

45-50% Off All-Inclusive
Ranked #27 of 68 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Fredericksburg, VA
“Looks great, can't wait to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

We traveled to Cabo on our honeymoon Sept. 21-30, 2009 and had the pleasure of checking out Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach for a timeshare. We kept saying we would not buy anything, but once our salesman Mark took us around, we decided to buy. It looks amazing, the rooms look immaculate and we can't wait to eat at the restaurants. The prices, I keep reading from reviews that everything was expensive. We looked at the food prices when we went on our tour and even ate at a restaurant at the PB Rose resort, and think that the prices are cheap. $18 for a filet mignon, that's cheap.... unless I am used to higher priced food than most of the people reviewing the resort. We thought that the golf cart system was great. We hope that after reading the reviews that we have a great experience when we stay in 2011. But from our visit, the people, especially Mark and Eric, were great and we can't wait to stay in 2011. I think many people exaggerated the time it takes to get to town from the resort, we caught a cab to town and were at the mall within 10 minutes from leaving the resort. We dined in town also and the prices were very cheap.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,121)
Lodi, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

Just back from our trip 9/25-10/2. We were two couples mid 30's to mid 40's. We had a fantastic time at PBSB! I will say that every single person we came across went out of their way to provide outstanding service. From front desk, maid, cart drivers, lobby enterance, restraunts, bars, pools etc. EVERYONE was awesome!
We were very kindly upgraded to a 2 br suite (thank you Mr. Dodge) The hot tub on the balcony was a great touch. The room was very comfortable and the kitchen was well equipped. We actually cooked most meals as my husband and I love to cook. We enjoyed candelight dinners on our huge balcony and awesome sunsets! We had nacho's at the Manilla bar once & they were very tastey. We also went to the Itallian buffet on Wednesday night at La Nao. The buffet was awesome with great choices and presentation. However I am not a huge fan of buffet's just because I can never eat enough to get my money's worth. I literally had a ceasar salad, half a bowl of pasta, and one rib from rack of lamb. Not $30 worth. Everything we had was very good though.
We took advantage of the shuttle to the Rose almost everyday. It was nice to walk the beach and get your fill of the vendors & haggling for price etc. But also nice to go back to PBSB and not worry about being hassled. We did do the timeshare presentation and it was not so bad. The $200 resort credit was great and upon check out we were glad we had it to use. Typical for timeshare resorts everything is over priced. You expect to go to Mexico and get $1.50 corona, not $4.50 American prices. Even sitting in the lounge area for a drink for 4(two glasses of wine & two brandy's) with tip $50! But we were prepared for the gouge.
The carts were always available and never a problem but I'm not really sure I am in love with the idea of a resort so huge & steep that its really not possible to get around without the carts. My husband and I are in good shape and if so determined we really could walk top to bottom of this resort, but the pathways really don't permit you to walk without having to squeeze against a wall to let carts pass. From the beach to our room 2274 would be at least a half hour hike up a very steep winding mountain.
The one thing I felt was a rip off at this resort was the spa. For attending the timeshare presentation we were able to purchase two $100 credit vouchers for couples massage. So basically we paid $80 for $200 credit. Seems like a good purchase...My husband decided against the massage so I booked a massage & facial. They were both fantastic! However the price for each was $110. So ok I thought I have $200 credit, my services will be $220. I paid $80, I'll have to bring in another $20 plus tip. Not so bad....So I'll get two services for the price of one.....NOT! When you get there they charge you an additional 10% tax & 12% service fee. When I asked what the service fee covered, it was explained as a sort of tip for everyone who works in the spa. So I still ended up paying $170 after tipping my massuse. I guess you could say I saved $50 but $170 in Mexico for these services??? I am pretty sure these massage therapists are not being compensated for their services anywhere near these prices.
All in all this was a beautiful resort and I would definitely recommend to anyone.

California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2009

Our first trip to Cabo and so glad we picked Sunset Beach! Our room was truly amazing, a junior suite with a kitchenette, ocean front. We were there for 10 days and still hated to leave!
The carts pick you up and take you anywhere in the resort you want to go, I think the most we waited was 2 minutes. Always an entertaining ride! The sky pool is beautiful but the main pool at the bottom was our favorite. Sits right on top of the beach, we would turn our chairs around and face the ocean while having the serene pool sitting just a step away.
So relaxing! We had lunch at the pool almost daily, the nachos are so good as are the beef tacos. The breakfast burritos are really yummy if you get to the pool that early.
We ate at The Bistro a few nights, lots of choices, and food really good. The little deli stores have all kinds of snacks and pastries or sandwiches which we enjoyed too.
You can take a taxi ride for $10.00 into town/marina. Or the shuttle to the Rose and walk. Although we preferred just taking a cab right into downtown.
We did our homework before we picked this resort and knew it was a little out of the way, the beach was not swimmable and needed to take a taxi or shuttle to town. Thats why we liked it! It is so relaxing and serene there. We were truly able to shutdown and enjoy our surroundings.
! We did the time share presentation it was only about 2 hours. We did not buy, our guy was really nice, "Dirk".No hard sell pressure.
And you get $200.00 credit towards food/drink which was great!
We loved our stay and will for sure be back!

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2009

Don't listen to anyone complaining about the golf carts!! They were prompt, friendly, drove carefully, and very convenient. We were just one level up from the main pool and two levels down from the lobby so we walked a fair amount rather than take the carts. But to get to and from the Sky Pool you'll want to take the carts.

The aroma-therapy style scent in the lobby, though, was a bit on the strong side, but we quickly acclimatized.

In general... the resort is beautiful, the grounds well kept, and the staff very, very friendly. The free shuttle into Médano (to the sister resort, the Rosé) was very convenient and we used it virtually every day.

If I had any complaints at all, it would be the lack of a DVD player in the room or, barring that, DVD players available to check out from the front desk. We were there for Hurricane Jimena and were an entire day in the room. We had brought some DVDs just in case, but were unable to play them.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Bay area, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

We really really LOVED our trip to Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach. My Mom bought last year at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay in Mazatlan and we traded weeks and went to Cabo this year. We could not get a Executive Suite that she has, so they gave us two Junior Suites. It actually worked out really well. My Mom and her best friend stayed in one suite and we (my husband, myself, and 20 month old son) stayed in the other.

Airport-- i did not listen and go confused on who to talk to when we landed about getting to where we needed to go. It is a shark pit. KEEP WALKING. you will see an "offical taxi desk" inside the airport, and right before you go outside. Just go right there and get a taxi. The customs is SOOOO slow at the airport, seriously the worst. NO A/C, hot, humid, and then annoying pushy people trying to sell you stuff. We just take it in stride, and next time will know better. We got a SUV taxi and the driver was wonderful. He stopped at Walmart for us to stock up on a few things before going to the resort.

Check-in.. It could have been a little better. We asked for an upgrade and we were told they did not have one, but the couple next to us were offered a upgrade a moment later. It took a while for them to find us rooms next to each other, and the guy was not overly friendly. I called in advance but I guess they did nothing with the request. Since my son had been traveling all day the meltdown mode was in full effect. Then we were asked about the meeting the next day. We wanted to check it out since my Mom's friend was interested, but at that moment I just wanted to get my son to his room to take a nap. The woman did not seem to care at all, and was a bit slow. Bell boys were wonderful and fast.

Rooms.. The location was wonderful. My Mom's room was RIGHT on the beach. They loved this and spent every morning walking the beach, and sitting on the patio. They even saw some dolphins swim by close one morning. Our room was upstairs and it had a small patio. They were spacious enough, have a small kitchen which is wonderful when you have a child. Only complaint here is we called a few weeks in advance to get a crib, and it was not in the room and took a long time to come.

The Resort... AMAZING. Pictures don't do justice. It really is stunning. The views are wide, and from almost ever corner of this place. There are SO many pools you can for sure find one that is not crowded and able to enjoy it. The food we thought was good, selection was nice, staff was nice, the cart drivers were FAST and nice... We ate at La Frida one night and really enjoyed it. Coming from CA we did not think that the prices were very high at all and SOOOO worth it. There is a Deli by the biggest pool (we could walk to this one) and there is one that sells sandwiches up by the lobby both reasonable. The food by the pool was also very good, I thought they closed a little early but other than that nothing bad to say.

Not sure what I am missing, but the place was wonderful. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Edmonton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

I have never actually written a review before, although I do find them useful. In this case, I thought it important to let everyone understand that Canadians may be treated as second class citizens at this resort. Like most North american residents, I am extremely proud of my heritage and country. I thought that also transcribed as being reciprocal between Canada, USA and Mexico. I found that this in fact is not the case here at Pueblo Sunset Beach.
We arrived on Saturday and wanted to relax and didn't need to get our free drink tickets stamped that they gave us. We found out soon after that the tickets are a way to get you to come to a timeshare or similar presentation. "Okay", I thought, "I am game for a couple hundred bucks use at the hotel". I was looking forward to the presentation as I am always interested in new trends out there in timeshares and in fact already own 2 of them. "Not so fast Gringo" went through my mind as they informed me that Canadian money was not welcomed here. Only Americans can take the presentation.
Well, hopefully you can understand my dismay at the blazen disrespectful attitude towards me and all my Canadian friends that come here. I will certainly ensure that they all know and that our money is good at other resorts, but not at Pueblo Bonito family of resorts.
I did call to the service desk to let them know of my dissatisfaction and how I am appauled at their remarks and discontent towards me because I am a Canadian. This seemed to get an unsympathetic sorry as the line went dead after....so I advised that I would need to advise others (but certainly not as sour apples, but as the truth of what happened). I remember reading the reviews of this resort on Trip Advisor and not seeing too many bad comments and was one of the reasons I came here. If I had read about how they treat Canadians, I certainly would not have stayed here and as such I thought I owed it to my Canadian friends to beware prior to coming. If they know and come anyway, all the power to them, but at least they know ahead of time.
Now as you read this, my stay is actually not over as I have 5 more days, but I thought the sooner I identified the problem, it might help my fellow Canadians that may be thinking of booking. It may even help my awesome Amercian friends reading this that consider us equals as well and they also may be appauled.
Since this is early in my stay, it is also unfair to give a total overview, but I will give some particulars to the hotel that will not change.
Let us take a look at the negative first since that is my mood. The beach is depressing. Don't get me wrong, it looks beautiful. The only thing missing is people enjoying it. For the most part, the beach is deserted because of the dangerous Pacific Ocean waters. You must sign your waiver to not swim when you check into the resort. The resort is also farthest away from town and has no buses and you are at the mercy of the taxis who constantly change prices depending on their mood??The resort is built on a hill and can be very challenging for anyone not in shape.
Let us now look at the positive objectively. The Skyview pool has an awesome view of the Pacific Ocean from a really high vantage point and beautiful sunsets. The transportation within the resort is pretty good and needs to be as you need to be a billy goat to get from one place to the next. There is a free shuttle that runs every hour from this resort to the sister resort beside this one or the ones on the other side of downtown Cabo San Lucas.

I cannot advise on restaurants or the spa as my Canadian money will go elsewhere even if I have to pay 12 USD (or whatever they charge me that day) to get to town.

On the lighter side, I am staying at another resort (Playa Grande Cabo San Lucas) next week and hopefully will be treated with a little more respect. I will write a review of that resort as well to help others like myself make a better informed decision.

PS. The weather is awesome so far, but the humidity is brutal on me. My wife loves it, but I feel like I just ran a marathon (not that I will ever run one, but in my imagination, that is what I think it would be like).

Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

Two of my sisters, my brother-in-law, and I stayed at PBSB on September 10-17, 2009. My sisters own a timeshare there (one week every other year), but when we tried to book a room directly through PBSB, we were told there was no availability. So, we had to “deposit” the week into RCI and rent the week through RCI, which meant incurring additional fees. I’m sure there is some mathematical formula that goes into all of this, but it still seemed a bit strange to us that the resort had no availability for owners given that we were traveling during the lowest of the low season and that the place was dead during the week we were there.

We first stayed at PBSB in 2005 and we loved it. In 2007, we decided to stay at PB Rose, which we didn’t like nearly as much, so we vowed to return to PBSB in 2009. We were really looking forward to going back, and I’m sad to report that we didn’t like it nearly as much as our 2005 trip. Our two-bedroom, two-bathroom suite was very spacious and more than accommodated our needs. (For anyone thinking they can stretch the number of people in a suite by having people sleep on the pull-out sofa in the living room, I’d advise against it, unless those people are fine with sleeping on something that is as malleable as a piece of wood. The sofa is fine for watching TV or playing games. Sleeping? Not so much.) The only bad part about the beds was that whatever the resort uses to pad the mattresses does not run the length of the bed. So, it took one pillow just to get my head aligned with the rest of my body. The beach is not swimmable, but the sound of the waves is melodious, especially at night, and you can hear it even from the highest point of the resort, which is the sky pool. The views really are tranquil and quite breathtaking. And, they call it Sunset Beach for a reason…truly fabulous.

Although our suite was spacious enough, we had a huge ant problem. We were in building 15 (room 1533). Unfortunately for us, we did not discover the problem until the four of us already had unpacked our luggage and a week’s worth of groceries and beverages. At first, we didn’t think it would be so bad, but by morning it was clear that it was problem. And, the ants weren’t contained to one area. They were in the sink, on the cook top, and on all the counters. When I called to report the problem, I was told that the resort did not have a comparable suite for us. And, really, who wants to have to pack a week’s worth of stuff back up and move to a new location, especially at a restort as mammoth as PBSB? Someone came in morning to “spray” the kitchen. We were told it was chemical free, but by the look of the can and sprayer, it was a run-of-the-mill insecticide. The worst part is that it got all over everything. Well, no…I take that back. The worst part was that it did not alleviate the problem. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a complainer who expects her every whim to be catered to, but I do expect to not have a severe ant problem in a resort that bills itself as luxury. I couldn’t even sit at the counter to use my computer without having ants crawl onto the computer or my hands or arms, and we certainly couldn’t leave any food, including fruit, out on the counters. A single crumb in the sink attracted hoards of ants. (Oh…I also found a cockroach in the living room.) To the resort’s credit, the manager on duty did call a couple of times to check on the problem. And, I recognize that, outside of spraying the place down with chemicals or moving us, there was no other solution. My main reason for including the information in this review is my concern that the problem was not completely taken care of after we left, so I would caution against staying in that particular suite. The entire week, however, cans of Raid seemed to be a staple in the housecleaning arsenal throughout the resort, so it might be a larger issue than just building 15.

Another tip for potential guests: it did not occur to us to ask for smoke free building. Building 15 is not smoke free, so we had to deal with other people’s smoke coming into our suite. This is completely our fault for not thinking to ask, but it certainly detracted from the pleasantness of our stay.

The nice part about the location of building 15, though, was that we could walk to and from the lobby so we didn’t have to constantly rely on golf carts. And, we only had to walk up a flight of stairs to get to the nearest pool. Also, even though there wasn’t wi-fi in that building we were able to pick up access inside our suite from the pool’s wi-fi.

None of us cared for most of the food on the resort. (The only time we ate at the resort in 2005 was when we were out by the pool, and that food was decent.) We didn’t feel like taking a taxi to town on our first night there, so we ate at one of the restaurants, although I can’t remember which one. We ordered our entrees off the menu, and each one came with full access to a salad buffet and a dessert buffet. Some of the salads were pretty tasty. The entrees were fine/good but certainly not worth the price. I ordered a stuffed fish, and it came out cold rather than warm, which was disappointing. The worst part of the meal – hands down – was the dessert selection. We tried just about everything on the buffet and all of it was awful. Some of it was politely-spit-it-into-a-napkin awful. We all agreed that none of us has seen so many selections that look so appealing and taste so atrocious. I strongly advise PBSB to hire a new pastry chef or find a new dessert supplier.

We ordered room service one night during our stay as well – big mistake. We had cheese pizza, been burritos, macaroni and cheese, a green salad, and cinnamon toast. Most of that was from the kids’ menu. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT order the pizza. By far the worst pizza I’ve ever had. The bean burrito was cold and chewy with a funky aftertaste. The macaroni and cheese was fine, although it was more like cheese soup with noodles. The cinnamon toast was delicious. So delicious, in fact, that we ordered it later in the week to accompany a breakfast we had made. That time, though, it was awful. We each had one bite and left the rest. So, my second piece of advice to PBSB’s food staff would be to work on consistency and taste.

Given that we were there during low season, we had no problem getting lounge chairs by the pool. Everything was completely empty. The water temperature wasn’t really that refreshing, but once we got out of the water and the breeze hit us, it did cool us down momentarily. And, yes, the breeze was a constant, but in a good way. The food by the pool was the best food we had while on the resort. We stuck to things like the nachos and the fish tacos. Be forewarned that all of the drinks on the pool menu are super, super sweet…much too sweet for our liking. The “dirty monkey” was okay, as was the “bahama mama.” (The latter was not on the menu.) Although they were sweet, they were the least sweet of the bunch.

In addition to the ant problem and the poor food quality, the other issue I had with the resort was that it requires its guests to pay to use the gym. The front desk clerk told us that the only time people don’t have to pay is if they are timeshare owners who booked their stays directly through the resort. Obviously, we weren’t able to do that, which meant we were required to pay if we wanted to use the facility. Instead of paying the daily fee, though, I held daily workout sessions for my sisters and myself in our living room. (Because of the ant problem, I was able to negotiate free gym access for my brother-in-law.) We were able to do core sessions, yoga sessions, and martial arts sessions. Yes, the living room was THAT big (once we rearranged some furniture, of course). In conjunction with a hike or two on the beach, we never even missed the gym!

As for the sales pitch in the lobby, I simply said we were not interested in giving any of our information, even if that meant foregoing the “free drink” tickets. The sales team can be intimidating, for sure, but I was assertive without being rude and simply gave them back the drink tickets. We were only asked one other time whether we had signed up for the “presentation” and we again were steadfast in our disinterest.

Anyone reading this should keep in mind that the resort IS NOT within walking distance to town, so you will need to either rent a vehicle for your stay or rely on taxis. The latter cost $10 one way; although we did have to pay $12 for a trip even though we were dropped off a mere two blocks farther than our previous taxi ride. Driving in Cabo is quite stressful (and I write this as someone who has driven in some pretty crazy places). And, having a vehicle means someone has to be the designated driver, so no margaritas for him or her! The shuttle to PB Rose is another option, but it only runs once per hour, it stops running around 10:00P, and you still have a 5-10 minute walk to get to the shops and restaurants in downtown Cabo.

All in all, our stay at PBSB was fine, just not memorable. It simply lacked the luster and positive energy of our previous trip in 2005. Will we be back? Probably, but it likely won’t be in 2011.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Been to Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach? Share your experiences!