“A solemn place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
45-50% Off All-Inclusive
Ranked #23 of 66 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
New York City, New York
“A solemn place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

I enjoyed every bit of time I stayed at pueblo bonito sunset beach. I was invited by my friend and stayed in one of d 9 penthouse with jacuzzi. Very quiet at night. Sunshine in the morning which is fantastic. The place us peaceful, clean and quiet. I love it and I'm sure I'm coming back. The people r friendly. The sushi place is good.

Room Tip: Very nice location. Ocean front and we stayed at d penthouse. Fantastic.. Jacuzzi by d beach is good...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (960)
Sacramento
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

Pros: the villas are perfect. Clean, comfortable, beautiful, private pool, gourmet kitchen, personal concierge, great view. The resort pools are fun. Check out happy hour (3-4) at Sky Pool. Hopefully you can get a chair, but if not just hang out in the pool. The BEST bartender is Zenon! He was so good we can't say enough about him. Attend the obnoxious hour and half sales pitch and get $250 credit. We ate at Fridas and Siempre for free. Great food and impeccable service. There is a free shuttle to the Rose in Cabo. Must prebook it.

Cons: sometimes the wait for a golf cart can be tiresome, especially when hot and tired. We learned that scheduling in advance for a pick up from Monte Cristo was better than calling and asking for them to come pick us up. You cannot swim in the ocean at this resort. Major drawback for me and my husband. The villa pools are super warm. Not very refreshing.

• Stayed July 2014
Newton, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

We arrived two days ago and our room never got cooler than 75 degrees according to the wall thermostat, it sure felt hotter though! Maintenance came out and did the same thing I did, look at the thermostat and check the return air filter, which checked out fine. After opening the refrigerator and freezer doors we managed to fall asleep well after midnight.

We were able to get a new room our second day and had the exact some problems, falling asleep well after midnight only after opening the refrigerator and freezer doors. They're currently looking for a solution ... we'll see!

Upgrades you ask? Don't bet on it. Pueblo Bonito told us in 2008 that they NEVER OVERBOOKED and reserved a certain percentage of their rooms for owner upgrades. Apparently that policy has fallen by the wayside as they're now telling us that they're overbooked and have no larger rooms (we even offered to pay) I do agree that some people get upgrades and maybe even most did in the past, but not now! We brought our two adult kid's with us do to the promise of unquestioned upgrades, with the four of us in a smaller room it's a bit crowded.

We received the room we purchased in 2008 so I'm not complaining about that, just don't believe the sales pitch promises that you will automatically get upgraded at every stay!

I'm still rating "very good" but only because our first stay was so awesome AND I'M willing to give them an opportunity to correct our current (hot and) sticky situation.

Jim Robinson
seadogg56@yahoo.com

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Pros: First off, I'd like to say the view is out of this world! It has one of the prettiest views out of all the hotels. It's located on top of the mountain overlooking the ocean with trees & flowers; Rooms and bed were clean. The sky pool was lovely with a view to die for.

Here comes the endless list of cons: unfortunately the only thing good about this hotel was the view. Everything sucked which is a shame. The pool service was eh, a bit slow. The La Nao buffet is basically dog food to say in the nicest way. I've had bad buffets but THIS was beyond gross. The food was Inedible. Looked like slump. The service is HORRIBlE. The workers are either under staff or super lazy. Takes 1 hr exactly for anything to get done, starting from the slow golf carts (which you need to get around the huge hotel) that took almost an hr to arrive after them telling us it'd be there in 5 min! The lobby is crammed and the workers at the front desk are confused, under staffed and barley speak a lick of English. Absolutely NO entertainment. At night it's completely dead! The drinks are disgusting. Room service takes 40-50 min to arrive.
I got food poisoning from the food or water.

Anywhere is better than here!

• Stayed July 2014
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

This is the second time we have been to the Sunset, the first being 9 years ago. We used our parents’ timeshare to stay and got an Executive Suite which is a 1 bedroom with separate living area. The grounds themselves are beautiful and well maintained. The rooms are nice, however the first room we were in did have ants all over the sink, we then moved to another room which was much better as was the view as it was in building 20. The biggest problem in our room was the couch that our daughter had to sleep on. The smell of urine was so powerful I couldn't believe it. I called maintenance and they said they would send someone, well after 5 calls and 5 hours I finally got someone. I wanted the mattress replaced with a clean one however all we ended up getting was for them to remove the cover and replace it with 3 sheets and one of the fleece blankets. I then asked for 3 more sheets so that I could cover all the areas of the couch. The girl told me they would be there tomorrow to replace the cover, they never showed and I wasn't calling again. The king bed we had was super comfortable and our daughter didn’t mind the couch just wish it didn’t smell so bad. Removing the cover did help with the smell which was also another reason we didn’t feel like dealing with trying to get moved or the couch replaced.

We mainly went to the kid’s pool as the happenings at the other pools would have given our daughter an education I wasn't ready for her to receive, no big deal to us about going to that pool it is nice. We did go to the main pool the first day and went up to the sky pool one late afternoon but really they are just pools so to us it didn't matter where we were so long as we had chairs. If you have kids or if you like to paint, be sure to paint some pottery, Juan will finish it for you and it looks amazing, our daughter did 2 pieces and she loved it and loves showing them off. We did let our daughter go to the kids club for a half day as she really wanted to, they made a frame out of sea shells and tie-dyed a shirt that we provided, we paid $22 for her to go, it is $32 for a whole day. I honestly think this should be included as it is in many other places. She did have a lot of fun and the people that ran the kids club were very friendly. We went to the Rose a couple of times so that we could swim in the ocean as the pool tended to get boring after a while.

We bought the all-inclusive plan prior to arrival and we thought the food was really good for what/where it is. We mainly went to the Bistro for breakfast as a buffet can get boring to us. We ate at Zen Shao twice and found it to be very good. We did do the buffet a couple nights at La Nao which we found to be pretty decent. We ate at Fillini’s at the Rose and found that to be good as well. Everything at this resort is in super slow motion, it takes forever to eat no matter where you go so if you have an early morning excursion keep that in mind. This package also included WIFI for the week, however as soon as you check out you can no longer access it. They do have free internet at the Sunrise Coffee place; it tends to get busy at certain times of the day with everyone that doesn’t have the included internet hitting it up. The coffee is very expensive there and the specialty drinks are nothing like Starbuck’s.

My husband and I both visited the spa, I got a facial and he got a massage. Jonathan at the spa was super nice and set up our appointments. He gave me a discount since we didn’t have any vouchers since we didn’t attend the timeshare presentation. They were offering half off massages if you went between the hours of 12-2 so my husband took advantage of that. My husband got the deep tissue and loved it, I also really enjoyed my facial it was probably one of the best I have had.

The biggest issue that we had with this place is that every single time we went anywhere we constantly had someone asking us to attend the special breakfast. Of course we all know that is the timeshare presentation and we were not at all interested in attending. We turned it down at check-in and thought we would be done with it, however over a 1 week period we were asked 15 times (no exaggeration) by members of the hotel if we would attend. We started calling them sharks and would avoid all eye contact to try and get them to stay away, that worked half the time. One morning while sitting at breakfast we were asked 3 times by the same woman. If you even look at doing any outside activities they ask you, if you want to do the spa they ask you, if you ask pretty much any question, they will follow up your question with an invitation to attend. I have never felt so badgered before in my life.

So while we had a good time, because we made it a good time, we won’t be returning to this resort any time soon.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

The setting of the hotel is beautiful -- water views from everywhere, lots of opportunities for dining al fresco. If you want to really get away from it all this is the place to be. Quiet, sun-soaked.. Nothing around in the immediate area, but you can take their free shuttle to the Rose location in town and walk to Squid Roe and those sort of places from there.

Service leaves something to be desired -- gratuities are not included in the all-inclusive package, so you would think the waitstaff, cart drivers, etc would work a little harder to earn their tips. Not so. Everyone passes the buck to their compañero leaving you hanging. Do not be surprised to wait >20 min after calling for a cart to come pick you up, while 3 empties pass but their drivers tell you they're headed to lunch.. How convenient.

Room Tip: Tip the front desk staff for an upgrade! $10 USD is all it takes..
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hemet, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

After reading several bad reviews before my vacation began, I was a little hesitant about visiting this resort. So, I felt the need to tell everyone that this resort is amazing! The staff is friendly, the resort is clean, and the pools were amazing.
First, we did not participate in the all inclusive because we wanted to be able to leave the resort and eat in town. We did attend a timeshare presentation that lasted 2.5 hours and we were given $300 in resort credits for attending. We did not buy a timeshare and we were not bothered again. Next, the resort has beautiful views because it is located on the side of a mountain. Plan on walking up hill a lot! We stayed in building 41 which was centrally located so we walked pretty much everywhere we went and it wasn't too bad. However, if needed, there are plenty of carts on the property that will drive you where you need to go just simply call for one when you need it. There is a shuttle that takes you to the sister resorts on Medano Beach. We made a reservation for the shuttle the day before and never had a problem. If you plan on eating dinner at one of the restaurants on the property, make a reservation and your table will be ready when you arrive. It seemed like the people who were upset during their vacations failed to make any reservations for shuttles, cart service, or restaurants. Our room was perfect. It was spacious and clean with maid service every day. There were a few bugs here and there but nothing out of the ordinary considering the tropical location. If you want to use wifi in your room or visit the gym, there is a daily charge. However you can get your exercise and use the free wifi if you walk up the Sunrise Café daily. Overall, I thought this resort was excellent. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Building 41 is centrally located, quieter pool outside room, and not a far walk from anything.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach? Share your experiences!