“Wonderful - So glad it was away from the actual town” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
45-50% Off All-Inclusive
Ranked #23 of 66 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Atlanta, GA
“Wonderful - So glad it was away from the actual town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2008

We just got back from a week at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach. We own a timeshare in NC, and went on a trade with RCI. The hardest part (and most expensive) was getting there, but once we did, it was worth it.

We loved that the resort is tucked away from the actual town of Cabo. Being from the East Coast, the town reminds me of Panama City and has the hustle and bustle of Spring Break. There are vendors on the beach and marina, and for us, we just wanted to relax. You could be tucked away from this if you hung out at the pools at the other Pueblo Bonito resorts on the Sea of Cortez side (Blanco and Rose), but we definitely preferred the peace and quiet of Sunset Beach. We didn't mind that we could not get in the water (it's freezing to begin with!) but the strong waves are nice to listen to at night!

Here are a few of our favorite things: We loved Pacifica! I was actually surprised at how many kids were at Sunset Beach, but we loved getting away to the adult only Pacifica. It is completely peaceful, holistic, and wonderful. Beds on the beach, 2 large pools, and wonderful food. Seriously, the pool food was awesome. And we loved that we could sign anything to our room as long as we were at a Pueblo Bonito resort. It made it so easy. We also went to the Spa at Pacifica, and they were so attentive. Wonderful experience. We also really loved the Sky Pool at Sunset Beach. This was our daily hangout and Happy Hour was from 4-5 every day. As many others have said in their reviews, the Dirty Monkey is yummy! The Bloody Mary is also wonderful! The view here was my favorite spot all week. I literally bellied up to the overlook wall and hung out with drink in hand...meeting people and enjoying vacation! We also really loved the Bistro restaurant. The sushi was so fresh, and we loved the value and the selection. Everything we had here was wonderful.

Some other general thoughts: Watch out for the timeshare people, they will suck you in. The ones at Pueblo Bonito were actually great and did not pressure us as much. Plus we got some great cash to use at the restaurants there on site. We did go to one other, and loved the place, but they would not take no for an answer. It became very stressful, and then the "goodies" that they offered were very questionable. We actually didn't even use them because a few of the numbers that they gave us to call were invalid. We drove to Todos Santos one day and stopped at the famous Art & Beer. Everyone told us we had to do this, and it was very underwhelming. As energetic as the locals were about this little art town and the famous biker stop on the way, it just wasn't what I expected. The beach and the resort were calling my name the whole time we were away. We wish we had just stayed and enjoyed the view! All of the rooms have a fridge and some kitchen stuff. We bought beer, wine, cheese and crackers and some breakfast stuff and saved lots of money that way. Though again, there are some reasonable food options in the Bistro, and the pool food at all the resorts was really good.

The only complaint we had with the resort was our room location and the lack of enforced pool hours. We were in building 26, right above a pool, and there were 2 nights that I had to call the front desk because people were in the pool at 1am and 4am. There were kids screaming, splashing, and running around. It was very disrespectful, and if they don't have pool hours, then that needs to be known. Just an FYI.

Overall, this was our favorite trip. Sunset Beach can be what you want it to be. It can be romantic, it can be fun, it can be family-oriented. It was 5 star all the way. Believe the hype!

• Liked — Staff, beauty of resort, the view
  • Disliked — Lack of established pool hours (see post)
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (960)
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2008

Ok,,, this is the best place in the worls (i think) i have been going there since i was 5. me and my family go every year and we own 3 time shares! the city has changes over the past years because it got more touristy because when i first went there it was kind of a secret place. I love it there, the rooms are clean, the people are nice, and the food is goos too! but... if you dont have a timeshare it might be hard finding a room! good luck! you'll love it!! and to all those people who said it's not the best there, they are liars, lol

• Liked — The room and the town's atmosphere
  • Disliked — the front desk
  • Stayed February 2003, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Nashville, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

My husband and I just returned from 5 nights at the Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach. We had a very relaxing time! Here are some of our thoughts about the resort:

1. RESTAURANTS ON THE RESORT

La Frida : excellent with very good service. I had scallops, and they were wonderful. My husband had sea bass, and he thought it was a little bland. We split a cream of asparagus soup, and it was outstanding.

The Bistro: Our experience at the Bistro was not as positive. We sat at our table for almost 20 mins before someone even came to greet us. My husband went to the hostess stand to let her know that we had not been helped, and our server was standing at the hostess stand chatting. Once my husband started explaining that we hadn't been helped. He raced over to the table to greet me. My sea bass was very good, but my husband's seafood enchiladas (which came recommended from the server) were not good at all.

Pool Bars and Grills: Lunch by the pool was good and good-sized portions. The prices aren't ridiculous either. The guacamole is really good. Drinks were pretty reasonable $4 for beer, $7.50 or $8.50 for frozen tropical drinks.

2. RESTAURANTS IN TOWN

La Panga Antigua: WONDERFUL!!!! It was probably one of the best meals I have ever had. It's about the same pricewise as La Frida, but both our meals were excellent. The service was superb, and they didn't rush us at all. It's owned by the same people as Mi Casa, but it has more seafood. It's just a short walk from the Rose, so it's easy to take the shuttle without a 20 min walk.

Mi Casa: The food was good. It felt like they were trying to move you in and out as fast as they could. My husband really liked his fish (can't remember what kind it was), and my tamales were good too.

3. TIMESHARES

The whole thing is a little annoying, but it didn't ruin our stay. Initially, we agreed to do the breakfast. After talking about it some more, we realized we weren't getting the full benefits that they normally give because we are younger than 28. That really made my husband mad because money is money regardless of your age, so we decided to cancel the breakfast. When we did that, they gave us our money back (you have to pay $20 to reserve your space) without trying to pressure us any further. That was kind of surprising. Plus, we were only there for 4 full days, so we felt like giving up 1/2 a day for benefits that weren't that good wasn't worth our time. After that if anyone approached us about time shares, we told them we had already done the breakfast thing.

4. GOLF CARTS

Were very quick. If there was a long line, we would just walk, and it usually wasn't bad. Don't get me wrong...I was winded after walking up steep steps, but it was definitely do-able. The only place where it was kind of annoying was to get to the Sky Pool because they drop you off at a building, and then you have to go up an elevator, and then it's a steep walk up to the pool. The carts can't run straight to the Sky Pool, and I'm not quite sure that's why it is.

5. POOLS/BEACH

Other reviews had said there was Happy Hour at different times of the day at different pools. We found out it was from 4-5 at all of the pools. There is Happy Hour at the Lobby Bar from 7:30 - 8:30.

Sky Pool: We really enjoyed the top portion of the Sky Pool because there is this awesome ledge where you can just sit and look out over the ocean for miles. We definitely thought this was the best pool. On our last day, that part of the Sky Pool was closed for a party at 6 that night. We got up there about 10 a.m., and they closed it all day. We were really disappointed because we looked forward to hanging out there all day, and it really didn't make sense to have it closed all day. They could have put a sign up that said that part of the pool would close at 3 or something, and I'm sure that would have been plenty of time to set-up.

Main Pool: Tended to be more crowded and louder. That's where all of the activities are, so they make announcements about them occasionally. There really isn't a view of the ocean from this pool, so that was disappointing. There was also more of saving chairs with towels, so sometimes it was hard to find a chair. We always ended up finding one, but sometimes we had to walk all the way around the pool and move some together...no big deal.

Beach: I would HIGHLY recommend walking on the beach away from the resort (facing the ocean to the left). There are some INCREDIBLE houses right next to the resort, and eventually you get to these really neat looking rocks that block the rest of the beach. As others have reported, you can't swim in the water, but the waves are really high close to the beach, so I wouldn't want to. There were a few times where the water surprised us and came over our feet, and you could feel the waves pull you...not bad, but I understand why people can't swim. The beach at the Rose is swimmable. We were there during high tide, and it didn't look much better.

6. GROUNDS

The grounds are gorgeous and meticulously maintained. Lots of interesting flowers and plants.

7. SERVICE

Except for our experience at the Bistro, overall the service was very good. Check-in and check-out was quick and smooth. Our bill was correct. The people are very friendly and always saying "Hola" to you.

8. LOCATION

It's about a 10 min ride into town, so we stayed mostly on the resort. There is the bus shuttle to the Rose that runs on the hour. You have to get tickets for the bus because they fill up, so don't wait until the last minute. From the Rose, it's about a 10 - 15 min walk into town, so we did the shuttle once and took a cab once because Mi Casa would have been about a 25 - 30 min walk from the Rose.

• Liked — Great views
  • Disliked — Pushy timeshares sales people
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Newport Beach, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

Let me start out by saying I have been to a lot of cities in Mexico. By far the best was Puerto Vallarta. Cabo is expensive. I wrote Cabo off about 4 years ago and decided to give it another try. My Bad! I will go to Maui again before I ever go to Cabo. They actually cost about the same amout. They think Americans are rich and they nickle and dime you to death. Steak and lobser at the Trailer park is $87 Dollars and Half of the lobser is taken out for their lobser cocktail. I live in Newport Beach and I can get steak and lobster on the water cheaper than that.

I stayed at the Sunset on an RCI exchange and my experience was not so good. It is a nice hotel but in Cabo there are many nice hotels that are more Conveniently located to everything. If you are a couple and you just want to go lay aroung the pool it is fine. If you have small children and you are not going to any other location this is fine and if you never want to use the Gym it is fine. Also, if you don't want to go to the beach or in the beach water to boogie board or surf this will work fine.

There is a shuttle that takes you to the sister resort every hour. There is a beach there but hard to go into the water because of all of the Jet skis and boats leaving from the beach.

If you want to use the gym and you don't own at the Pueblo Bonito they charge $15 dollars per day per person to use the gym and then tell you that if you get a $150 dollar spa treatment you gym time is free for that day.

They charged us for several drinks and food at the pool that were not ours and we had to argue to get them taken off. It was crazy. The pool bar has so many bees flying around it that the bartenders are actually flicking bees out of drinks before thay sereve them. If you order a blended drink and a bee flys in it is just blended along with the mix. I saw this on several occasions.

The restaraunts are just average. Not bad but definitely not great.

I have read some other reviews and people loved the place. I will absolutely not be back. The people at the resort were completely rude, except for the drivers they were all really nice.

It was just a really bad experience. Honestly, go to Hawaii. You will have a better time and it will be very close in price and maybe even cheaper.

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — Anytime you asked for anything there was an issue and it took forever
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Aliso Viejo, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2008

You can't go wrong staying here! What a wonderful experience! From the moment we arrived, we were greeted with smiles from everyone and the smell of lavender and vanilla flowing through the air.
You can go to the presentation they offer and save money on beach activities, massages, food and drink. The only misleading thing is the length of the presentation which was supposed to be 90 minutes and ended up being 3 hours. Needless to say, we didn't buy but we did get a free margarita and a nice tour.
We went snorkeling at Lover's Beach via water taxi (about $12 roundtrip). Not much else to do there but it is worth seeing.
Not much into the downtown craziness but did have fun shopping at the flea market which is located near dock 4 (same place you can take a wine/jazz cruise). Take a $10.00 taxi ride and you are there.
Had a great dinner at Fridas the first night there. Five star service!
Also enjoyed a wonderful dinner at the Pacifica Resort. Yummy!
Rooms were beautiful. Had a 1 bedroom with 2 full baths in Bldg. 18. Fun golf carts, great sky pool, nice, private beach!

Would definitely go back!

Stayed June 2008
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

Overall nice & picturesque setting, however you should note:
1 The resort is 85% timeshare 15% hotel. I unfortunately sat through one of their sales presentations.
2 The beach is not swimmable. It is the Pacific Ocean and the waves are rough.
3 The resort is secluded from the rest of the town, so if you want to go out it takes a 10-15 minute cab ride.

• Liked — Nice view
  • Disliked — Somewhat pricey
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Phoenix, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2008

We were recently married at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach on May 31, 2008. It by far exceeded my expectations and my dream wedding came true. The hotel only books one wedding per day so the entire staff at the hotel are all focused on the wedding,the wedding party and the wedding guests. They had signs up the week before announcing our wedding to other guests. Laura Ortiz, the wedding coordinator, is awesome. She is very attentive to detail and worked extremely hard to make our day perfect. Ignacio was our head waiter and was at our sides serving us food and drinks during the entire night of the wedding. Enrique Morales took our pictures (you have to book a photographer through the wedding coordinator) and he was also great. I couldn't have picked a better photographer. His pictures are beautiful.

We had 45 guests travel down to Mexico for our wedding and the majority of them stayed at PB Sunset Beach. We were given so many compliments from our guests about the hotel, how they were treated, how beautiful the wedding was and just overall what a great place it was.

I know there are many great places to have a wedding in Cabo, but you won't be disappointed at Sunset Beach.

• Liked — Hotel, views, quiet beach, landscaping
  • Disliked — Not close to downtown Cabo
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach? Share your experiences!