“Great Family Vacation!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 66 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Seattle, WA
“Great Family Vacation!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Just returned from a family vacation to Cabo in late Feb./March 2013. This was our first time staying at the PB Sunset Beach, we have stayed at another hotel group on Medano Beach the last few years. This hotel is great, my new favorite in Cabo! It's very spread out with many pools/restaurants so even though it's huge it's never crowded. We had 2 rooms - one in Building 19 and one in Building 18. Both were great, awesome views! We saw whales every single day. While moving rooms was a bit of a hassle they did it all for us down to the contents of our refrigerator. We were able to upgrade to a one bedroom with hot tub upon check-in which was awesome! $50 extra per day. The one bedroom units here are large.
We were traveling with our 4 year old and 2 year old. They provided a crib and high chair in our room. Both kids attended the kids club for a few mornings. I can’t say enough great things about Carmen and Pamela at the kids club. They are so sweet and I felt comfortable that the kids were in good hands! My kids loved it and were excited to go back and had so much fun! They did some really cute and fun crafts! Note – they technically only take 4 – 11 year olds but they were slow while we were there so they took our 2 year old. She is used to a daycare setting so she did great.
The golf carts were not an issue for us. We rarely used them and actually liked walking every day. I didn’t want to go to the gym on vacation so climbing the hills was my work out. I climbed from bottom (main pool) to sky pool in 20 minutes.
A taxi into town is $12 each way. We took the shuttle into the Rose one day and it was super easy. If you don’t want to pay for a taxi you could just take this and walk into town? The only complaint I have about this place is the food. While some things were decent (Salsa, Guacamole & Ceviche, Club Sandwich) some were downright bad – the pizza at 17 pool was burned and inedible. It tasted worse than bad frozen pizza. The drinks were great! We did happy hour every day. We took the kids to the Pirate Night and the show was cute, the buffet was decent! Overall it was a very fun night for my 4 year old. One of the highlights of our trip for him.
Overall, we really enjoyed this hotel. I also want to add that I am a frequent traveler for business and stay primarily in 4 and 5 star hotels. I can be a bit fussy and have high expectations and they were met at this hotel.
We did not attend the time share presentation, we said no when we checked in. We were approached once more and almost did it because the deal gets better and better every time you say no but decided we’d rather spend our time playing instead of dealing with them.
The spa is expensive but awesome! My massage was just OK but the facility was so nice. The steam room, hot tub and freezing plunge pool were so nice! I actually had a massage on the beach the day we went to the Rose for $30 that was awesome. That woman needs a job at the PB Sunset Spa !

Room Tip: Building 17 & 18 are near the kids pool which makes it convenient for family's. Not walking...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

2,610 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (750)
salt lake city, ut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a stay at the Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach. We were so pleased with hotel, we loved the setting, enjoyed our room, but we were absolutely blown away by the awesome service! Everyone was friendly and helpful and seemed very happy.
One server in particular, named Pablo, who worked at the main pool, took our vacation to a whole other level. We felt like we were the only people he was taking care of, when in reality, he was taking care of many! His care helped to make our vacation the best we have ever had!
Bravo, Pueblo Bonito, for hiring such an amazing staff! We will be back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Goleta, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I am a Pueblo Bonita owner and read negative reviews regarding the Sunset. I returned home last evening and had a wonderful time at the resort. The two bedroom unit in building 14 was clean and quite nice. I can't speak for other buildings. This was my 3rd time at the Sunset and saw very little that needed to be fixed or redone. Yes the TVs are old but work just fine. We didn't have hand towells or enough towels when we arrived. A phone call took care of the problem within 10 minutes.The paint is wearing off the wooded areas in the parking lot.
One lady at the welcome desk doesn't know what the word NO means and I had to get really tough with her to get her to quit following me and insisting I do the owner's breakfast. I had to get into her face to get her to stop. I hated having to do that but she was not going to take NO for an answer and was quite rude to me. That was my only complaint.
I can't comment on the restaurants as I don't ever do all inclusive becaus the food in town is fantastic and fairly priced. The pool food is good enough for lunch or a snack.

Room Tip: Building 14 is just a few steps from two pools. Easy walk to them without having to use the carts...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Sunset Beach is completely amazing. It is such an escape from the busy downtown life of Cabo yet only a short cab drive to town or a free bus shuttle to Rose on crazy and fun Medano Beach. Daniel at the main pool is amazing, his service, attitude and love of life is such a treat and really made our trip special. The Sky Pool is beyond words. This year we stayed in a two bedroom unit and it is like your own private villa with AMAZING view of the ocean We stayed on the top, building 19, forth floor. Last year 1st floor building 22. Both amazing. We did not do the all inclusive and heard the buffets were horrible but the food at the pool for lunch is FANTASTIC and the pizza at Manilla bar is great. Also, Il Bistro is good too. In town, Salvatore's is a MUST and you need reservations. Also, we LOVE Taco Loco in the courtyard of Cabo Wabo, 4 taco's, one beer, $8.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Mayra P, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Jesibel,

We appreciate your comments and taking the time for reviewing us, it's a pleasure for us to make guests like you feel welcome and comfortable. Hope to see you soon!

Best Regards,

Jose Ernesto Coppel, General Manager
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I am officially Caboized after visiting this resort. We are in our 30s and went w/ another couple who booked at Sunset Beach through their timeshare w/ RCI. The resort is nestled on the western side of Cabo with breathtaking views of Pacific. Some of the reviews I have read for this resort that were negative are shocking to me because it's definitely one of the most beautiful resorts we have ever stayed. We are beach people so were a little disappointed when we found out the waters were far too rough for swimming, but you still can enjoy the private beach and lay out. The main beach pool is right there when you need to take a dip or get food & drink. Part of the charm of this place is the golf carts ---- they are always available! It's your choice, you can walk on the paths and tiny roads OR you can hitch a ride. The grounds are spectacular, so I would encourage you to walk around and check out the landscaping and black swans near Pool 17. There are more then enough pools to cool you down so even though you may want to swim in the ocean, the infinity pools and views will NOT disappoint. The rooms are very clean, we lucked out and stayed in a suite w/ a jacuzzi on the veranda. Watching the sun set after a day at the pool w/ a Modelo Light in the hot tub was amazing. We only ate at The Bistro, but loved it so much, we continued to go back. Make sure you ask Leonardo for coffee and order the Seafood Enchiladas at least once! Each of us ate it about 3 times this past week. The only negative thing I can add about this resort is the RCI timeshare reps. They will start hounding you at the airport - that is if you engage in conversation w/ them. Avoid it. Line up a shuttle service from the airport to Sunset Beach prior to your arrival. Throughout the week we were asked at least once a day to go on the "tour" ----------- do not do it. We spent 4 hours w/ two reps that would not take no for an answer. It was a waste of both our time. Taxi service from the resort costs $12 USD. If you plan on utilizing your all inclusive bracelets, take a shuttle to the Rosa sister resort, but be prepared to be hounded by local Mexican vendors on the beach. They are relentless. Other then that, this was a wonderful resort and I would definitely return!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Curlylocks,

We feel flattered after reading such nice comments about our resort. We would like to thank you for your kind remarks and for taking to the to review us. We hope to welcome you and your party in the future anytime soon.

Sincerley,

Jose Ernesto Coppel, General Manager
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is a spectacular property. Each hotel building is almost an Italian villa design with beautiful rooms and decor. It's setting on a prominent hillside stretching down to the beach provides beautiful ocean vistas from many rooms. While it can be excellent exercise going from the bottom villas and beach to the upper units and main lobby, golf cart shuttles from key points, and a service where you can call a cart directly to your unit, make it easy to get around the property. The two ala carte restaurants are outstanding. The buffet restaurant, which also hosts themed dinners, is very very good in its own.

This is not a loud, partying property. You can certainly enjoy yourself, but it is not an all-night partying property like many all-inclusives can be (this hotel offers an option of all inclusive or buying meals as you go). For our family, AI was the way to go. Many of the units are time shares and used by regularly returning owners and their families.

The setting is spectacular, with beautiful sunrises and sunsets from the broad, uncrowded beach and wonderful walks along a long stretch of beach shared with beautiful private villas set to the east. (this is also located below the hilltop Capella Hotel, which was rated as one of the top 10 best hotels with a view in the world by Tripadvisor). Unfortunately, the beach is my only complaint about the property. Because the beach drops off sharply into crashing surf (an obvious safety concern), staff is always stationed at the beach. Which is fine. However, to discourage use of the beach, they purposely limit the number of chairs that are available for use on the beach. We are not pool people, so by the end of the week I (and other fathers of groups who preferred the beach to pools) were in a constant cat & mouse game with security of getting lounge chairs down to the beach. It was a shame, and something I don't quite understand.

It is beyond a comfortable walk to the city itself. You can catch a shuttle to its sister properties on Modano Beach and then cab it to the city, but we honestly never felt the need to leave the property. We did visit the sister properties, and immediately appreciated the beach, the uncrowded

Despite that oddity, Sunset Beach is truly a first class property, and one we will certainly return to.enjoy it again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Mayra P, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

We would like to thank you for writing such a nice and detailed review, we feel very happy to hear that you had a wonderful time during your stay at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach. Our guests security is one of our main concerns, that is the reason we are very aware of the people trying to swim in the ocean, we are sorry that you wanted the beach better than the pool, but we take measures only for your safety.

Looking forward to welcome you again really soon!

Sincerly,

Angel S.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

The hotel and scenery is gorgeous. Sunset at the sky pool or from our balcony each night was a must. We had so much fun getting to know the staff at the resort. Rafael, one of the cart drivers, is fantastic. He made our week so much more fun and we miss him! We got engaged the last night, but he wasn't working and I was so sad we didn't get to tell him! I would highly recommend a trip to Cabo and am ready to return to Sunset Beach!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach? Share your experiences!