“Quality and beauty make an exceptional resort” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
45-50% Off All-Inclusive
Ranked #26 of 69 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
“Quality and beauty make an exceptional resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

This was my second stay at Pueblo Bonito at Sunset Beach and it was just as enjoyable as the first time. Every room has a panoramic view of the Pacific where whale spouts can be seen daily. I stayed in a spacious studio. It had two queen size beds, a kitchenette, full luxurious bath, and a private balcony. It had all the amenities you would expect in a high quality resort. The room is very attractively decorated and immaculately clean.
The very large resort has many, many, buildings--all beautifully landscaped--that sit on the side of a large sloping hill so every one has an unobstructed view of the ocean. Buildings are connected by narrow paths--just wide enough for little transport vehicles slightly larger than golf carts to travel on. This service is amazing how efficiently it runs. There are call phones located at every building, pool, restaurant, etc. Within minutes, usually no more than 2 minutes, one of the 50-60 carts will arrive and take you to any location on the premises. The carts can comfortably hold 6-8 passengers.
Every part of the resort is breath-taking. There are several beautiful pool areas and I still haven't been to them all. Again you can see the ocean from any place on the resort. Service poolside is very attentive and prompt.
There are 3 restaurants not counting the poolside ones. Don't miss the Sunday brunch or buffets at La Nao--just overwhelming with the selections and quality. La Frieda is the gourmet restaurant and I didn't visit it this time. The Bistro is my favorite daily restaurant especially for breakfast out on the balcony. There is a varied selection of very good dishes--enough that even after several days of 3 meals a day there I continued to try new things. The only disappointment this visit was that the service was very slow and not very attentive in the evenings. I had not experienced any problem 4 yrs ago so I attribute it to possibly not having enough servers for some reason.
My daughter and I both visited the spa for massages. I had the ultimate relaxing one and it was wonderful. My daughter got the deep tissue and she said it was the best she had ever had. The spa is very accommodating and the pampering is top notch.
There are shuttles to sister resorts which I used my first visit but frankly this resort has everything I wanted so I spent 90% of my time there.
I did take one day to go into Cabo which is about a 10 minute ride. It's worth exploring--many nice restaurants, bars, and shops-- but I had been there before so mainly wanted to relax by the pool. You definitely should at least do one of the many sunset cruises that take you out to the famous rock formations on the tip of the baja. This time I did the pirate ship cruise and it was very satisfactory for the price. From January through March you will have no problem sighting humpback whales any time you are on the water.
The resort has a beautiful beach but swimming is not allowed because of the dangerous undertow. You can visit the sister resorts if you want to swim in the ocean. Myself, I like looking at the ocean while swimming in beautiful clean pools with excellent service.
This resort easily deserves the highest rating. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms. Every one has an unobstructed panoramic view of the Pacific. The studios a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Mayra P, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Carol F,

We would like to thank you for your excellent comments, which motivates us very much.
Our main commitment is our guest’s satisfaction and it's an honor for all of us, who work at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach, to receive such an excellent review. We will continue reinforcing our service, to keep our standards of service.

Thank you again. With great appreciation!

Jose Ernesto Coppel, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,198)
Oakley, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We just returned from a two week stay at Sunset Beach. We own at Emerald Bay which we also love but traded to Sunset because we enjoy the activities that Cabo provides and because of some of the negative press Mazatlan is getting of late.

We stayed in an Executive Suite and our friends travelling with us stayed in a luxury Suite. Both rooms were in great spots to watch for whales throughout the day.

We found the rules for saving chairs at the pool are completely ignored and on my last morning when I wanted an hour of pool time, every chair was occupied with a magazine or flip flops. The towel hut was not even open yet. So, I found a chair that looked good, placed the magazine on the table next to me and enjoyed. After an hour and a half when it was time to leave, the seats around me remained "saved" and unoccupied. The staff should do a better job of monitoring and removing these items so those who do wish to enjoy the early morning pool hours are not left waiting for those who prefer to have breakfast or sleep in to finally decide to show up.

Had dinner at the Bistro one evening and the Sushi must have been bad. It was too spicy to tell at the time but shortly after dinner, I had a strong reaction and my friend did as well but not until the next morning. I am recommending the sushi at Solomons Landing at the marina instead. Quite excellent.

We love Sunset Beach. We don't mind the Time Share presentations because of the benefits we get - free tequila, nice credit to the room bill and it doesn't have to take that much time if you don't want it to. Our friends left after 90 minutes having enjoyed a nice breakfast and cocktails along with a tour getting them acquainted with the resort.

We hope to see the rooms updated with some fresh furniture and flat panel TV's would be on par as well. I did find that they bring you a robe to use if you call and ask for one.

We will be back. Two weeks is the perfect amount of time for us to stay there to enjoy all of the things we love such as EcoCat for snorkeling and sailing, Ocean Riders for whale watching, Buccaneer Queen for their sunset cruise. We plan to spend more time at the marina and plaza next time. So many nice restaurants there to check out. We love love love Cabo.

Room Tip: It all depends on what you like. If the sunset is important to you, request a room higher up near th...
Malverne, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

My wife and I owned 2 properties in cabo,we needed to downsize because of the lack of vacation time do to work.Our other property is at mendano beach,ok, but not nearly as relaxing as Pueblo sunset.We plan on going back in Feb of 2014,to fix our mistake.What I miss most is the great view you get from every room,especially the spectacular view from the skypool.You also can't see whales from mendano beach because it's so busy with cruise ships and jetskis.Every morning we would see dozens of whales from our room at Pueblo sunset.Please forgive us.

Port Orchard, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Stayed Feb 9th thru the 16th. I don't know how anyone can write a subpar review on this magnificent property. Everything was 5star, the service the food the overall ambiance was outstanding.... Glad I bought here and will be back in April. Top Notch!!!

Room Tip: A little tip goes a long ways!!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Mayra P, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Petroron,

We really appreciate your positive attitude! We're very pleased to hear you had an excellent experience during your stay with us. Don't forget to contact us before your next visit.

Looking forward to see you in April!

Best Regards,

Austin, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband and I recently returned home after spending 2 weeks at this resort. While some areas definately need improvement and / or updating, we still very much enjoyed our stay and we look for to our trip back again next year. We stay in a Junior Suite and while they are modestly furnished and in need of new furniture and an overall upating, the room was very clean and well kept. Daily housekeeping was very good. We prefer to stay in building 26 or 27 as there is great whale watching from this building. We enjoy spending our days at pool 26. Omar is in charge of the pool area and makes every day a good day for anyone who spends time here. He is friendly, efficient and very personable. On Omar's day off, Fidencio fills in and also does a great job. It's a great place to spend a sunny, quiet, and relaxing day. The Happy Hour's are great. Try out the Omar special sometime at this pool too! In the evening we enjoy spending our time at the marina, downtown Cabo, or one of the restaurants at the resort. The two Happy Hours in the evening at the resort are also a fun way to relax and meet new people. This a a fun place to stay and by making a few changes it will be an even better place to stay.

Dear Gale,

We would like to thank you for your comments and for taking the time to review us. We're very glad to hear you enjoyed everything about Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach. We'll make sure to pass your recognition to Omar, thanks to customers like you we have excellent and motivated staff who strives to keep our guests satisfied at all times.

Best Regards,

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband and I just returned from this resort on February 9, 2013, after spending a week there. It is a beautiful resort set up on a hill overlooking the Pacific Ocean. We only used one of the pools every day. We did venture down to the main pool one day and found it too croweded. No seats were available there. The sky pool is very beautiful, but quite lively. The Sky pool has a magnificient view of the sunset and everything else for that matter.

We had no complaints about our room. It was lovely and large. We had an executive suite, which had 2 full bathrooms. The bed was very comfortable.

We purchased the all inclusive plan because we aren't very adventuresome with going into town to eat. The food was very good at The Bistro. The pizza was mediocre though. The lunches at the pool bars were very good. Try the Bella Linda Salad. Quite tasty. The plan was not too expensive. We drank a lot of frozen and mixed drinks and beer that week so it was good for us. We didn't have to wait for happy hour to enjoy our beverages. It was nice to just go to the restaurants and try new things without worrying about the cost. The food seemed very pricey if you paid al a carte. (breakfast bagel and cream cheese was around $8.00.)

The view from our balacony was great. We sat and watched whales morning and evening every day. That was a real treat.

The golf carts were ok. We stayed at the Luxxe in Playa del Carmen last year and they do the same thing. I guess we didn't get much exercise last week. The carts are a pretty good plan for transportation there.

We like to go into the ocean, so we probably won't go back just for that reason only. Overall the resort was beautiful and we had a great time. The service in the restaurants is a little slow, but we chalked it up to the slower lifestyle in Mexico.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach is in a very picturesque setting, on the side of a mountain overlooking the Pacific Ocean. We had a 1 br 2 bath with views of the ocean from our terrazza. We saw whales swimming etc right out our door. The suite was spacious and marble floored. The kitchenette was small and the appliances a little worn. To get around the resort you either had to use their golf cart system, or walk/climb. From our building to the roadway to the adult pool, I counted 93 stairs, and that's only part way up. It was a similar hike down to the beach. The beach was wide and was a good hike especially to the east. While the food services we tried were good, they were not spectacular, and seriously over-priced. You're somewhat captive when you're there. Speaking of which, P.B. does provide a free shuttle to one of their 2 downtown beach resorts, P.B. Rosa. From there it is a good hike to downtown Cabo and the Marina. And then, there was the time share presentation, which stretched into close to 3 hrs even though advertised as 90 minutes. Too much pressure and too much of my vacation time wasted. The staff were all very polite and helpful, but all in all, if I had the choice again, I would not return to this resort.

Room Tip: We were in building 10, and it served our purposes fine.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!