“Great hotel, horrible internet!” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Predio Paraiso Escondido, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Special Price
45-50% Off All-Inclusive
Ranked #22 of 65 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
“Great hotel, horrible internet!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

The hotel and everything about it is great. The internet is horrible. I paid the $16 for one day of wifi, i was only able to get on for 5 minutes. Other hotels offer free wifi, not sure why they don't. If you need to get work done or access the internet for anything of importance this is not the hotel to stay at.

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (886)
Hempstead, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

While Pueblo Bonito is beautiful, they seem to practive in deceptive sales practices and have no integrity in selling, they just want your money so beware.

I purchased what is essentially a studio there in September and I was told that as part of my package that I would receive 3 free BONUS weeks in addition to the two weeks that came with the purchase of the studio once our down payment was paid in full. Long story short, when I finally received the BONUS certificates they promised us, I only received one free bonus week. When I called the resort for explanation first I was told by Barb there was nothing else she could do. When I asked to speak to her supervisor, I was kept on hold for literally 30 minutes So I hung up and tried again. This time I was sent to another customer service rep, Antonio. When I asked to speak with a manager after speaking with Antonio, he even went so far to tell me that there is not a manager in the customer service department, that right now they report to themselves (which clearly makes no sense). I asked to speak to Alfredo Ramirez (because I was sent mail with his name) and Antonio informed me that he was no longer with the company and there was no one higher to speak with. I kept insisting and he then put me on hold for an half an hour. So I called back, spoke with the operator asked who was in charge of the customer service department and he told me Sandra Garcia. He connected me to a number that was of course was a voicemail.

I feel like I was scammed and no one seems to want to address my needs. The customer service is lack luster at best and the whole ordeal was very frustrating and a lot of waste of my time being on hold.

So to all out there I say the place is breathtaking but please beware of buying because when there is an issue no one seems to want to take the time out to address your concerns or even act like they care. What a disappointment!!!! If I could cancel the sale I would. I am a BIG believer in customer service, it sets good companies apart from so so ones. So far it seems like Pueblo Bonito is just so so on a good day.

To be a new owner and start my relationship with them like this doe not make me feel very good about the thousands of dollars I just spent. However, I will not stop my quest to get answers. So if anyone reads this and has a suggestion about who I can speak with over there that can make decisions I would appreciate it.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
BSuazo, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Customer,

Thank you for sharing this information to us. I've sent you a personal message with information that may be helpful to your needs.

Jose Ernesto Coppel, GM
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We have stayed at this property once before and liked it and Cabo enough that we decided to purchase a timeshare here. Maybe a rash decision, but after revisiting Sunset Beach, our impression was reinforced. The rooms are great, all of them have an ocean view, and sunset beach is not a misnomer. Almost every afternoon there are whales that can be seen from your room, and the sunset every evening is gorgeous. The service at the hotel is wonderful and attentive and very pleasant. Even the complaints that have been noted here on trip advisor regarding the speed or lack of it of the carts that bring you from one building to another did not seem to be as bad as mentioned. Sometimes it did take a while, but generally pretty quick to arrive. Just call in advance.
Since every room has a partial kitchen (refrigerator,microwave and burners, no oven or dishwasher) you can bring in all sorts of groceries, or buy them in the deli at a not too ridiculous price, and they help you bring them to your room if you wish. Makes life easier and a lot less expensive. The food at the restaurants is very good. The buffet at LaNao near the beachside pool area was poor in terms of the quality of the food, but the bar food at the Manila bar at the same pool, and the Skytop pool bar was superior (loved the fish tacos). The Bistro in the main building and LaFrida restaurant were both excellent, and the La Frida was worth the "gourmet" designation it has been described with. A new coffee shop near the entrance to the property (where the shuttle buses into town stop) serves espresso, latte's, coffee and a good selection of pastries. very nice, and free wi-fi as well.
My only other complaint was the check in process. There is is no "early check-in." If you get there before 4pm, you have to wait to check in. Not just to get your room, but to actually physically check in. That means that at 4pm you have to show up at the desk and battle the long lines, and on a busy day, especially near the holidays when the hotel is full, the lines get ridiculous, and then you can wait another hour or more to get your bags and wait for a cart to take them up to your room. If you are in a rush, forget it. For a hotel of this quality to have overlooked this significant issue is almost unforgivable. However, after you get to your room, and get into your bathing suit, and have a drink on your private patio overlooking the ocean, or if you are lucky enough to have gotten or upgraded to a room with a hot tub, sit in it and enjoy the view and the hassles just melt away. We even upgraded our timeshare membership.

Cabo itself is great. It has grown tremendously since we were there last, but it still retains its comfortable feel. The restaurants we went to in town were great. (PB Sunset Beach is a short drive into town by shuttle, cab, or rental). The omnipresent troops we saw last time have dissolved into the woodwork, but it remains one of the safer venues in Mexico, with a marked absence of cartel activity, at least as far as it is invisible. Get used to the driving. People are generally friendly and helpful, the golf is great, the weather is sublime, in general, and it is a place we will be happy to return to on a regular basis for years to come, we hope.

(PS note regarding sales pitches for timeshares- they are omnipresent and unavoidable in Cabo- they hit you as you get off the plane at the airport, and it almost seems that every taxi driver, every person on the street and everyone you meet wants to sell you one. PB Sunset Beach is no exception. They have people wandering the property asking if you are an owner or not, and if you have had your meeting or not. They do give you a $200 certificate to lower your bill if you meet with a sales rep the first time, and only $50 for subsequent meetings if you didn't buy. They are also good salespeople, very persistent and know the ABC's of sales- "always be closing" But you can go there not buy, and you can just tell them that you already own and already had your meeting and they will walk away. It is annoying, but part of life there.Just so you know if you have never yet been to Cabo.)

Room Tip: If you have to opportunity to get a room with a hot tub do it. My daughter lived in it, and it is gr...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Everett, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I've been going to PB Sunset for several years and love it whether alone or with friends and family. I love the variety of pools and the view is over the top! I've seen whales nearly every time I've been there. The facility is breathtaking and the maintenance of both grounds and rooms is excellent. Unless you're big eaters and/or drinkers, don't bother with the all-inclusive. A trip to Walmart or Sorianos and you're fixed for a week of meals and snacks for about the same as one day of the all-inclusive. As a PB Sunset guest, you have access to three other resorts with shuttle bus transportation to any of them. Sunset is built on a cliff overlooking the Pacific so you can get a good workout walking or you can call for a shuttle. The staff are unfailingly polite and eager to serve you and both earn and deserve your tips. Most speak excellent English. I can hardly wait to go there again this year!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Shaker Heights, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

First, some of the best views you will ever experience while on vacation. Yet, because this resort is spread out on rocky topography, it requires effort. You can't just saunter on to the pool or meet friends at the beach. We traveled with friends who were in a different building. If you don't take a golf cart, be ready for some lengthy hiking up steep hills and stairs to get where you want to go. Some might find this appealing to counteract the daily damage from the tortilla chips and guac.

(Actually, you can't really meet at the beach because this particular stretch of ocean is particularly rough, and workers are on patrol to keep you away.)

The resort is on a bluff and not close to Highway 1 (towards San Jose) or the center of Cabo. So, you really are far removed from things, which some might find appealing. We like to sample restaurants in town, so this required lengthier taxi rides. The restaurants on site are surprisingly few for the number of guests, and not consistent in entree quality. I ate at the Bistro three times (breakfast, lunch and dinner). The Mexico City chicken soup was my favorite,

Because of the size, many choose to get around on golf carts which roam the resort. I think one of our drivers late one night at 11:05pm (he reminded us it was 5 minutes past his shift) thought he was Starsky and/or Hutch. It seems he had a death wish or wanted to give us an extra thrill.

Also because of the size, I experienced quite a number of phones that went unanswered, particularly to the Concierge desk when I tried to cancel off-site restaurant reservations and make some. Not complaining about the staff, but when you have SO many people and three members of the concierge desk taking calls at 6pm dinner time, something has to give.

If you or a spouse need to stay in touch with work via Internet, this is tricky as well because the cliffs block access. So Internet (which is a very expensive extra -- lots of extras by the way) is spotty at best.

Still, the view at the Sky Pool was spectacular and we spent a memorable night watching the New Year's fireworks from the top of the very top cliff overlooking the ocean. A night I soon won't forget. And, we met some very pleasant employees who obviously work very hard.

Room Tip: We were in building 24 which was a short hilly walk to to Lobby and also to coffee shop with free wi...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

The resort is amazing. They great shuttle service around the resort as the grounds are somnewhat steep and could pose problems for some. The resort is in top shape and is just gorgeous. It's short drive to town so having a vehicle is nice. We we definately be back to this resort again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsburg, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We have been going to Cabo and PB Sunset Beach for over 10 years each January! We love the beauty of the resort, the cleanliness, friendliness, and the extras. The gym, pools, and spa are superb! I have even attended church in the little chapel and found the services inspiring. If we have any complaints, it would be the small grocery located there; we would like to see more products offered. We never do all-inclusive as we like to ride the bus downtown and eat in local places.

Room Tip: We like the rooms in villas 14, 15, 16 as they provide a great view of the ocean and whales, are in...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach? Share your experiences!