“Nice resort, but Will not return” 2 of 5 stars

Special Price
45-50% Off All-Inclusive
Ranked #20 of 66 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
San Ramon, California, United States
“Nice resort, but Will not return”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

I am currently on my third day in Sunset Beach, and already determined that we will not come back to this resort. We are renting a one bedroom suite from an owner, the pre arrival experience with owner and contacting the resort were all great. However a few issues arise during our first couple of days stay lead me to this judgement.

First, let me mention the nice things. The resort is very well planned, excellent landscaping, good furnishing, and room amenities are in fine quality. The view from the room is impeccable. The restaurants are so far great, and price is reasonable (expensive as it should be in its category.). The staff are great, for anyone we contacted. Though service is a bit slow everywhere. But that's not a problem, hey, we are here for vacation, wasting time is what we do.

Now, onto what's so bad to cause me not wanting come back?

First, bugs everywhere. There is mosquitos flying around the room, I at least killed 5 of them in one single day. And we haven't even open our door to patio. So they must be in the room when we arrived. There are flys in restaurant where we ate. There are also small bugs crawling in the room. I sat on coach, it will show up on my arm, and legs. We can spot them on kitchen counter, and almost everywhere we pay a bit attention. My daughter was bit on here face, accumulated at least five red spots on here face in one day. I bought some fresh croissant, and left the bag on kitchen counter over night, and in the morning, there are many ants at the bottom of the bag that I have to throw the entire bag into trash. And my wife found a big bug in her shoe. :) a very nice scene to observe.

Second, no wifi access except 2 locations in the entire resort. There is supposed to have pay wifi access in the room that I can pay 79.95 for one week access for one device only. I don't mind to pay. But even I paid, the signal in our room is so bad, that we can only get scattered single in one particular corner, and it's still on and off. The registration form declared that I can get second device for 44.95, and I did try to buy for two devices, but after I submit my credit card, I can still only use one device. I called the support person onsite, and the person was so rude, and after spending about 20 minutes on the, not only didn't understand my problem, but declared that I must have entered for one client request. At end, it was clear that the extra client information on registration form was false information, and for second device, I need to pay another 79.95. I tried to argue the person to honor the registration form price, he just hang up on me. I know that the wifi in room is not resort staff, nor provided by the resort, but it's a resort contract, and using a resort internal line for support. Most of all, wifi access is such a norm at this day for any luxury hotel chain, lacking it, whether pay or free, is a big disappointment. That's what many people rely on do trip research, and determine places to visit, and next day's schedule, including access to the tripadvisor site. My wife will not return just for this.

Third, the time share sales person... I probably don't need to say anything more, many people have mentioned it. It's same everywhere in Cabo, so it may not be a specific issue for sunset beach resort. But it's still annoying.

Forth, going into nit area, old fashioned tube TV in the room, lack of basic information of the resort in the room. Not sure if these are particular to owners suite. On the night of our check in, we have no information about anything, not even a map of the resorting the room, nor activity list of the week, which should be standard for a resort like this.

Overall, I feel the resort has outstanding hardwares, but lack of details. If it's a no name resort, I would probably tolerated it. But with the fame it claims, and as a 4 star resort, alo named one of the best resort in Mexico, those are not acceptable. Hence my declaration of not return while we are still on the property.

One more nit, you need golf cart to go anywhere as it s an enormous property. It's fun ride one, and the cart drivers are very helpful and friendly.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

2,606 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (749)
Wildomar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

My wife and I are owners at one of the four Pueblo Bonito Resorts in Cabo- the Pueblo Bonito Los Cabos (or "Blanco"). We traded for the Sunset Beach property which is on the Pacific side (Blanco is close to town near the Port right on the bay). We had a one bedroom accommodation in building 19. The entire resort is built in tiers with spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean. We are time share owners, but you may book directly as a non-owner from the Pueblo Bonito web site. From the moment you arrive you are graciously welcomed and pampered as an honored guest. There are seven pools (there are adult only pools designated), three formal restaurants, the Coffee Shop, a number of poolside food services, two bars, and a deli/food mart. Linda and I selected the "All Inclusive" package on booking, therefore we got a special rate. If you drink it is a fabulous deal! Our favorite restaurant was the Le Nau adjacent to The Manila Bar, both at the southern extremity of the property directly adjacent to the Beach. The food is served as a fabulous buffet with a different theme each night. The variety of offerings is astounding! A fair quality WiFi is available free only at The Manila Bar and at the Coffee Shop at both extremes of the property. A very expensive WiFi is available on an hourly, daily and weekly rate for purchase allowing resort wide connectivity 24/7. A free shuttle to town runs on the hour, although Taxi service is always immediately available. There are no self service Washing Machines. Laundry service is available for a charge. If you have not been to Cabo, there are many enjoyable activities to choose from. These include: Para Sailing, Jet Skis, Fishing, Snorkeling, boating, and Whale Watching. Oh, don't forget the beach (no swimming on the Pacific side)! The town has numerous good restaurants; and, walking around the side streets with multiple little shops is a lot of fun. My wife and I recommend renting a car for one day trip to the quaint town of Toda Santos. It is a nice 1 hour drive north. The town has a number of shops and restaurants that are worth the trip, and the people are friendly. If you do not wish to be hastled by a sales pitch for Time Share Ownership, just politely say NO.

Room Tip: There are 24 numbered buildings containing the various condominium like accommodations: from Jr Suit...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We just completed a week stay at Pueblo Bonita Sunet Beach (PBSB). In between the time we made our reservation and arrival, I must have received 8 calls from the resort trying to sell me their all-inclusive food/beverage package. Their all-inclusive sales people are almost as aggressive as Cabo time share sales people ( another story). I have done a couple of all-inclusives at other MX resorts and am luke warm about them. PBSB price ($95pp per day...if you buy before you arrive and requires a 3 day minimum) is the highest I've seen. (Stayed at Park Royal in Cozumel several months ago and they charge $50pp per day) Our group (2 couples) reluctantly decided to buy the 3 day package. I am glad we didn't decide to purchase the all-inclusive for the entire week. Cabo has some great places to dine that you don't want to miss. While I am not saying I would buy it again, I wasn't disappointed either. The food at the Bistro and the buffet was B+.....the menu offered at the pool grill was.....well...."pool food".... burgers, nachos etc....fills a void. Their top restaurant, La Frida, required an additional $20 pp surcharge, but it was outstanding and worth the surcharge. Here's my bottom line....if you are a big eater ( ie 3 meals a day) and reasonable vacation drinker (5-6+ drinks/day) it's a great deal to buy the three day package......if you are a two meal a day person/non drinker, it's not a good deal. In between it's a wash. Surprisingly, as remote a location as PBSB is, their food and drink prices are not bad at all if you decide not to do the all-inclusive. You can get a lot of food/drink for $95/day. The $95/day charge includes tax and gratuity, but if you're wearing a blue bracelet, your service improves dramatically if you throw a few $ on the table as you're being served. One other comment.....if you buy the all-inclusive package, you also may dine at several restaurants at the other Pueblo Bonita properties....which is nice.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
new york
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I would like to say as an owner for over 7 years. I am often frustrated. Never mind the normal complaints about the grounds and such.. they have been covered. The food is always lacking and we NEVER eat on the grounds. We bring food in our eat out every meal. The grounds, tvs and internet should be addressed! its a gorgeous place to visit..but not the 5 star it once was.

My largest complaint is regardless how much we pay in maintenance or for our timeshare we should be treated fairly.

I was recently married and have a new LAST name. All I asked when making my reservation was my name be changed to reflect my ID, Passport and every other single form of myself match my timeshare.

they are insisting that I pay $500.00 to change my name.
Im not changing ownership or transferring anything.I simply want the correct name on MY timeshare. PEOPLE do get married and names to change in doing so.

WHAT is the $500.00 FOR? to erase one name and type a new one?

this is just a small sampling of some of the frustrations as owners many face.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Campbell River, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Yes - this place is isolated and away from the noise and bustle of Cabo but it is not an advantage. It is impossible to go anywhere else without taking a taxi (there is a shuttle to Rose - but you have to book it in advance and it only takes you to Medano Beach - no stopping anywhere else). We were there for 2 weeks and felt pretty much stranded, the taxi fares seem to be all over the map - we were told it was 120 pesos (or $12) to town - which was pretty necessary to get groceries (the resort deli was ridiculously expensive - captive audience - and the restaurants were costly too). Each time we came back from town the taxi fare varied - from 150 pesos to 180 pesos. We decided to rent a car and drive up to La Paz for two days (great trip!), we rented through National - not realizing that they do not have a contract with Pueblo Bonito (only Avis) and they were not allowed to drive onto the property - so we had to take a taxi to the main gate (another 70 pesos) - which is a 5 minute drive away to pick up our car!!!
All inclusive... hmmm - we were phoned several times before leaving for our vacation - offering us All inclusive at a special rate of $95 per person - minimum 3 days - we declined. On checking in the AI rate was $105 - again we declined... however when we picked up our "welcome package" we were offered the AI at $64 per person minimum 3 days - of course we had to attend the presentation... but this time we decided to take it and even at that rate it was not worth it. We noticed that at the bar our drinks came in different glasses than if you were paying for it ..e.g. the margarita came in small plastic cups -while others got the fancy big glasses, my husbands beer also came in the plastic cup instead of the can. There were only 2 choices of wine (white or red), the the food wasn't exceptional - buffets at La Nao all seemed the same although they were supposed to be themed. The exception was the Sunday Brunch - which was excellent. For a special occasion we booked at La Frida (the fancy restaurant) and had to pay a $20 surcharge each... even then no choice of wine... what a disappointment.
Now the pools...another disappointment. The "main" pool is so small for a resort of this size, and towels/belongings have been put on chairs by 7.00 a.m. - there is no enforcement of the rule stopping this. If you are not at the pool by 9.00 don't even bother (we didn't - we went to the pool around 3.00 when everyone was leaving) - if you are lucky enough to get a chair you are so close to your neighbours that you are practically sitting on their laps, and can hear everyone's conversations. Very noisy and not relaxing. There are other pools dotted around the resort - but with the same seating and overcrowding problem.
The charm of the resort is supposed to be the location - nestled in the hills but it became tiresome having to wait for the golf cart shuttles - this is not a place for those with mobility issues.
Our suite... now here we were so lucky - we were in building 7 - right on the beach, no-one if front of us or even behind or to the side - now that was relaxing and beautiful. We spent our days (if not away from the resort), on our beautiful balcony or the beach in front of us, only heading to the pool in late afternoon, and the sunsets were amazing. The actual suite was a little dated and worn, and we had 2 double beds instead of a king - but due to the location we were not about to complain.

Room Tip: try to get buildings 4-7 as they are on the beach.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chapala, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Beware: The employees of this resort are in competition with each other to get you to attend the timeshare presentation. Unless you learn to laugh it off, it is a real turn-off. You might be able to get more "loot" if you sign up with one of the bellhops or with someone at a restaurant than with the cute young women in the lobby when you check in. The presentation is pretty low-key, so why not get a $200 credit, plus discounts on a couple of excursions, plus...plus?

We are now disputing a charge Pueblo Bonito put on our credit card for transportation from the airport to the resort. When we arrived at the airport, there was no record of our reservation. We called Pueblo Bonito, and they said they had no shuttle reservation on file for us. So we went ahead and arranged our own transportation (the timeshare salespeople can be very helpful in this regard...but of course, you need to attend a presentation). Then PB billed us for transportation not provided.

We stayed for two weeks, so we really experienced the ups and the downs.

This is a gorgeous resort, with a sweeping view of the Pacific. The grounds are lovely--colorful and immaculately kept. The customer service was impeccable, with one big exception (below). It's not for everyone, though. The property is VAST! There are more than 500 units! It is built up from the beach to the top of a cliff, and while it may be possible to walk downhill from Point A to Point B, walking back up is another story. And the way the resort is designed, walking from your unit to where you want to go (for example, to catch the shuttle into town) may well require a hike. So Pueblo Bonito provides golf cart service. Except for a couple of instances, every time we left our unit we needed to call to get a golf cart to pick us up. Happily, the golf carts arrived pretty promptly--even during the week that the resort was full. But if you get MOTION SICKNESS easily, or are AFRAID OF HEIGHTS, don't stay at this resort! Some of the golf cart rides reminded me of roller coasters--and I wasn't the only one who said so.

The golf carts are a necessary service, and where Pueblo Bonito really fell short was making sure that there were golf carts waiting at The Sunrise Cafe when the shuttle returned from PB Rosé. A couple of times we had to wait a half hour before a cart showed up. Could we have walked back to our unit in that time? I suppose so, but considering that when people walk they are sharing the pathways with the golf carts, I didn't want to risk it--especially after dark.

We changed units twice to get one that had a king-size bed, a view (the terrace of our second unit was fronted by a concrete wall, so we had to stand up to see anything), and a location closer to the beach. The terrace was tiny. As we were settling in, we discovered that the room didn't have a toaster, nor had the maid left any toiletries. There wasn't a single good place to sit. The two indoors chairs were low-slung and uncomfortable, and the chairs on the terrace were hard and uncomfortable. My husband, after considerable persistence, managed to get us two straight-backed chairs to use at the table indoors while eating.

We were very frustrated with internet connectivity at the resort. Guests couldn't be assured of fast response at the locations where Wi-Fi is provided free of charge, so we signed up (for $80/week!) for internet in our unit. With that service, we couldn't connect at all! We like to stay connected, even during vacation, so this deficiency was a definite minus for us. And I'm sure that you have a later model TV in your home than you'll find in your unit there.

It was so crowded while we were there that it was difficult to find chairs by the pool. No matter what management says about how guests shouldn't reserve chairs, everybody does it.

I read in other reviews about poor maintenance on the main pool and can report that during one of our two weeks there, half of the pool was emptied and under repair.

The woman water aerobics instructor was sub-par, and the man shouldn't have been teaching.

Swimming in the ocean is prohibited here, so if you want to swim, stay somewhere on Medano Beach on the Sea of Cortez side.

By all means, check out the Sky Pool at the very top of the property. That's where the "younger" guests hang out, drinking and listening to loud music. There were a few families there that day, but not many. The view is spectacular. Food is also served at the Sky Pool, so there's really no need to go anywhere else all day if you're in the mood to drink, eat, socialize, and sunbathe.

You can get into Cabo San Lucas by taking the shuttle to PB Rosé on Medano Beach and then walking or taking a cab to your destination, or by taking a cab from the resort for $12USD. If you're not doing the all-inclusive and are going outside the property to dine, those $12 cab drives sure do add up! Look for other people going into town at the same time and share a taxi.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Crystal Lake, Illinois, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We purchased 2 weeks of fixed unit and time 7 years ago at Sunset Beach. Each year we have looked forward to this vacation. It is always the first 2 weeks of December and since we live in the midwest, the warm weather is a welcome relief.

Now comes the but..... I can not begin to tell you how disappointed we were with our stay this year. They had excellent empolyess that ran the Activity Desk. They were attentive to the guests and made the days so enjoyable at the main pool. As you can guess, those individuals are no longer there and their new person Brent is worthless. He does not lead any activities, he does not participate and basically is never around. The pool was very cold and when we asked to have the temperature adjusted it was like they did not understand what people were asking. Enough said about the activity center.

The concierges desk was even worse!!!! We had a very early morning flight that required transportation to the airport. We were told that others would be available to share a ride but we would need a taxi. When we got to the front with our luggage, there were no others to share the expense, they were suppose to provide us with a slip and have us pay the charge up front and this was not communicated. We were not allowed to pay the taxi cab driver direct. I believe that Sunset was just pocketing money. The cost was $110.00 US Dollars. A private limo in the Chicagoland area for the same distance or further is around $75.00 US Dollars. They refused to get us a taxi until we went inside and paid the hotel clerk. My advise is to arrange for your own transporation ahead of time. Don't count on any help from the resort!

On the flip side, we had excellent cleaning people. They were friendly and outgoing. For the 3rd year our private hot tub did not work until 1/2 way through our second week of vacation. The good news is they finally fixed it after 3 years of being broken.

The maintenance fees have increased year over year. This year they either bought new baby blue carts (ugly, I preferred the red) or had the old ones painted. Truly a waste of the owners annual maintenance fees.

As others have stated the resort is not as prestine or nice as it used to be. It is becoming old and not being kept up to date. Old TVs, inadequate internet service and decaying building exterior and interiors are common in all areas.

As an owner, we want the old activity people back or at least ones that will insure the activities take place. At the most someone who acts like they care would be nice. Fresh coats of paint and minimal upgrades would be appreciated.

Overall, our heavenly vacation spot has become a distant memory. The activities and serenity are what we appreciated most. This no longer exists!!!!

Room Tip: Try Playa Grande. Better service, close to town and all rooms have beach or marina views.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach? Share your experiences!