“PB Sunset Beach service level changes” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
45-50% Off All-Inclusive
Ranked #22 of 65 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
La Habra Heights, CA
“PB Sunset Beach service level changes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

As a member and time-share owner at the Sunset as well as the PB Rose I have been a frequent visitor to the PB Sunset at least once a year for the last 10. During this time I have experienced a decrease in responsiveness to guests needs and requests, and by force of a decreased service staff observed, a decrease in service level, promptness of responses, affecting my satisfaction level while at this resort. I have upgraded my membership 3 times in the last 4 years, but have not really experienced a change in how we're treated from arrival to departure. This year was particularly disappointing, as a unit upgrade request x4 went unanswered, and once there, golf carts were nearly impossible to get from check-in time forward. Checking at a resort should not take over 1-1/2 hrs when reservation is confirmed in advance and experienced travelers have all documents ready, including credit card needed. After the interminable checkin we waited for luggage assistance and transport cart for an hour, until I raised strong complaints to the Bell Captain. There are much fewer carts and drivers, and their new set up leads to guests cluttering in one inconvenient location, confusion, and ultimately chaos. Fortunately my husband and I are fit and strong walkers, even up steep hills, however, what if we weren't that able? or if we chose not to walk? The internet access is scarce and a total ripoff- one can get free internet anywhere in town, but up in the remote hill it's $16/day, or if purchased by the week $10/day. And it is slow as snails; a phone line would have worked better. The locations for free internet access are not limited to one, not clearly advertised or marked, and I found out through other also frustrated guests where to go - again, quite a walk away from my room location. No need for the gym while there, as I got my 4-5 miles w/o problems. Service at the Sky Pool, that is kept quite poorly, is sorely lacking. We left w/o even being asked if we were interested in ordering anything after 1-1/2 hrs there, since it was stifling hot and no umbrellas are to be found, and the hotel does not provide the additional needed numbers there. And at the other pools it's best to walk up to the food/bar area if you're hungry or thirsty, and wait for your order, or like me, you'll be waiting for over an hour for the wrong order to arrive. Happy hour? forgetaboutit - it'll be over before the waiter ambles over to take the first order. The Manila Bar on the other hand is always delightful, although now extremely crowded in the evening as the only open site with free internet. Most there were just surfing, not eating or drinking, so it's more difficult to find room especially during my October 22 - 29 stay, when they set up theater style chairs for sports games to be watched that lasted until almost closing. So... we bought our own Zambuca and Tequila in town and enjoyed our balcony or joined our good friends in theirs. Missed hospitality opportunities by the hotel management. As for sanitation and maintenance? Wow! I'm harder than most since I do sanitation and physical plant inspections as part of my work as a consulting dietitian. However, it's pretty obvious when things don't work, as well as quite irking during vacation where you're supposed to be trouble free. Will I return next year? Yes. And my expectations will be just as high and so will my critique for management, although they no longer provide a satisfaction card, and no one was willing to listen. I'm thinking if this is as an owner, what happens to the general tourist who buys a week's vacation at this beautiful resort expecting what they paid for? A pity. Note my critique is applicable to this particular PB property, not others where I own and stay.

Room Tip: Get a map ahead of time, because location is everything! And not all rooms locations are created e...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (951)
Battle Ground, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We are owners and stayed at PB Sunset Beach 10/28-11/4/12. On the plus side, check in was much improved in speed and courtesy. We were given a choice of 3 different buildings which was nice. The lobby and turnaround area is much less congested now that the shuttles and tour operators pick up and drop off people at the new Sunset Coffee. The wifi at Sunset Coffee was very strong and more than adequate for our internet needs. No need to purchase wifi. Beds and pillows very comfortable this time around. Being asked to go to "owners meetings" and other timeshare meetings was much less. In the past we were hounded, but this time around a simple "no thank you" did the job and we were left alone. The concierge was most helpful when we decided to stay another week (moved to PB Pacifica-see other review).

On the down side, the pool service is completely lacking. I suspect this is due to the "all inclusive" option. The servers seem very unhappy. Asking for an ice tea was an ordeal, and by the way, no free refills (were free in years past), if you can get a server to come back around to ask for one. Our room was missing kitchen towels, a can opener, a corkscrew and the coffee pot. We had to ask for these items that were always included in our room before. The pools are in a state of disrepair, missing tiles, etc. The prices of everything from deli, restaurants, poolside have gone up considerably, again, must be to make all inclusive look like a good value. It could only be a good value if you drink a ton of alcohol.

This is a great place to stay, but it's not as wonderful as it once was.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
West Linn, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I almost canceled our trip to Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach due to the reviews, and I can't tell you enough now happy I am that I didn't. I am extremely picky about restaurants, food, hotels and service, and I believe the food here is FABULOUS by any standards. The grounds are vast and beautiful, and the staff is super well trained and friendly. So, why all of the reviews to the contrary?
Here are my thoughts: There is a breed of traveler who is pushy and arrogant. You’ve seen them, and you’ve read some of their reviews by now. People like that get what you'd expect. I saw a few of those folks while I was at the resort, and the servers and staff were taken back and reacted as you might expect anyone to react. Rude travelers are a turn off.
Next, I would say that smiling, saying, "Gracias," and tipping tastefully goes a LONG way. I actually read a recommendation before going on this trip that suggested tipping with a couple of US Dollars each time a drink was delivered by the pool. I arrived with a pocket full of ones, and I was quick to hand them out. As a result, I was treated like a KING. The servers soon began to bring my favorite drinks without me even asking (many times as a double, or with a bucket of bottled waters on ice).
The all inclusive plan is a MUST. We bought it as part of our Expedia package, and I can't imagine going without it. It allows you to eat and drink without feeling like you must gorge at a buffet or be selective a la carte. It is really the best of both worlds. But again, I tipped 10% of the meal value even though the all inclusive made the cost to me $0 and is supposed to include gratuity. I would normally tip 15% to 20%, so 10% felt like a bargain. You do get a zeroed out bill with each meal or drinking stint, and these ran us between $50 and $120 of value, but we were charged $0. Since we could see the value of the bill, we tipped 10% on that value. With this healthy travel policy, I can't say this enough, I was treated like a KING!
This resort is indeed spread out. For people who enjoy walking up winding alleys up and down steep hills to burn off the calories from all of the wonderful food and drinks, this is perfect. I loved it. For people who like being shuttled on motorized golf carts, it is super cool too. For people who are too old, cranky, out of shape to either walk or step up two steps into a golf cart -- don't go here. It is that simple. For people who romanticize about the beautiful alleys of the Mediterranean, this resort invites pleasant walks that will make you happy. The alleys and paths are all paved and clean and well manicured. Simply breathtaking!
What about the time-share nuisance? The staff here is very well trained to make friendly introductions and inquire whether you are an owner and if you have taken the tours (in return for $200 in various vouchers). They know how take "no" for an answer here, but it is their job to ask. For me, I got over it real quick, because I could see it was the time-share machine that paid for all of the fantastic grounds, food, service, rooms, bars, pools, etc. The time share machine builds these super resorts; they sure aren't built on what I paid to go on this trip. When I add up what I paid, it wouldn't have covered the airfare and the room -- so the all inclusive aspect was sort of free -- That's the way I looked at it. So, if a friendly inquiry once a day is what pays for this luxury, please don't stop – I felt like it was a very small price to pay for super luxury at this price. But rest assured, these inquiries are professional and courteous, and it is not at all intrusive. Literally, no more than once a day, a very pleasant, clean cut, friendly resort worker would ask if I had taken the tour, and I would say, “Yeah, I’m just not interested, but thank you very much for asking. This is a beautiful resort, and I can’t wait to tell my friends.” It was clear they had been trained to drop it at that point and change the subject to making sure I was happy and enjoying myself. In other words, it couldn’t have been done any better. It was truly friendly, professional, and infrequent.
My bottom line point is this, if looking for something to get angry about on a vacation, or if you don't have international etiquette (basically -- just knowing to smile and say thank you and knowing you need to tip even though the all inclusive plan says you don’t have to) -- nothing is going to please you.
And, I'll add a few more thoughts. There are not a lot of activities here for adults or children. This is a place to come and eat, sleep, swim, and chill out. I would, however, like to bring my 9 year old and 12 year old girls here and let them just explore the grounds alone. They are good about entertaining themselves, especially if they were able to bring a friend on the trip (or if we traveled with another couple with kids the same age). I felt like my kids would be safe and there is a lot to explore. They would enjoy going up and down the alleys by foot and by motorized cart. They would enjoy going into restaurants and being able to choose anything they want.
This resort doesn't have the wild party mentality of the hotels and resorts that are closer to town, so there isn't that edgy element found near the harbor beaches near town. On that side of town, I was approached numerous times to be offered "weed" or "blow." If that is your thing, select a resort by the harbor, because that down town and harbor area caters to you. I was pretty shocked at how bold the beach merchants were to offer drugs after they offered jewelry and such. Even with those solicitations, I didn’t actually feel un-safe – just out of place. I spoke to a number of people at the down town and harbor resorts, and they were adamant that the law was very in control and the streets were safe. They are trying to offer partiers a safe place to do what they want to do. But, at this resort, and on this side of town, nothing like that is going on. Driving into this resort, there were about 3 different security gates, and it is far enough from town that the partiers and edgy element keeps to their side of town. There aren’t even any beach merchants at this resort.
Oh, and here is something else, if you use Sprint for your cellular service, don't bother bringing your phone. Mine was worthless, but people with ATT seemed to do better. I literally couldn't get a connection at all. That made me nervous, so I signed up for unlimited Skype phone service as soon as we discovered our Sprint phones were bricks here. That allowed us to call and be called when we had WiFi. I paid the $50 for unlimited WiFi for the week at the resort, and that worked pretty good (better than most US airports).
So again, to try to summarize, this trip cost less than half of a similar trip to Maui, and it was super first class service and accommodations. This is Mexico and you need to understand what all that entails. Don’t be naïve. Bring some dollars and tip in a tasteful way and you will be quickly recognized as a good appreciative customer. Say “thank you” and smile a lot and people will treat you the same way.
Oh, I thought of something else. We ordered all sorts of top shelf drinks and were never turned away. At other Pueblo Bonito resorts that we visited (near the harbor) with our all inclusive plan, we were told certain drinks we ordered were not on the plan. At this resort, I never denied anything and it was served with a smile.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Food is really poor with flies on food in The la nao resturant. Do not do an all inclusive. The shuttle service is good since it takes you to town where you can get way better food. Rooms were good. Will not go back to this place

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Memphis, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We booked this room after reading reviews on Conde Naste, Travel and Leisure and American Express. I was excited for our vacation. We were so disgusted by the condition of the rooms that i forfeited the entire cost of the 5 day vacation and opted to stay at another hotel. THATS HOW BAD IT WAS.
Upon arrival they offered us an upgrade to a suite which we happily took for the price. When we got to the room there were still dirty towels on the wet bathroom floor, verrrrry old furnishings, a huge rip along the entire center cushion of the couch with stuffing sticking out...the list goes on and on? They moved us to another "upgraded" room and in that room the couch pillows appared to have something resembling feces on them.
I called American Express and they got the manager on the phone who said they would book us in their sister hotel, but SURPRISE when we let the American Express service rep hung up the manager at Sunset Beach told me there were no other open rooms at any of their other resorts.
American Express attempted to contact them for the next 4 days (it was the manager of the travel division) and finally got a return call about 5 days later. They had no excuse but refused to compensate us in anyway even though we did not check in and had moved to an alternate hotel.
PLEASE DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE. This place it very old and outdated.

Room Tip: they say that buolding 41 is their newest model. if you are forced to stay here i would opt for thi...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I spent two nights at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach as overflow for Pueblo Bonita Pacifica all-inclusive adult only resort was overbooked. I was assured there would be no cost to me, as I had already paid for an all-inclusive vacation. Think again. Every time I turned around, there was an extra charge I had to argue about. Also had to refuse a time-share presentation every time I went through the lobby. As a timeshare owner in another location, I'm aware of the typical sales push, but this was over the top and utterly awful. The suite was the only highlight of the two nights there - enjoyed the hottub, but had to argue to get room service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Erie, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My family and I were at the Sunset Beach from 11/17 to 11/24. We were expecting big crowds, but the resort never felt crowded. The pools were well attended, but we could always find chairs in good spots. Service around the pools was generally very good and always friendly. The Resturant Manager, Fausto, is a real gentleman and is sincerely interested in making sure you have a great experience at the resort.

We took the complementary shuttle to town several times for meals and to visit the other Pueblo resorts. It typically took about 20 minutes. We never had a problem getting shuttle passes and they were always on time. The town isn't that big and we could walk from the Rose resort to anywhere we wanted to go in about 15 minutes. We've been all over Mexico and have dealt with the gauntlet of street vendors. Cabo wasn't too bad compared to some of the other resort towns. The folks are friendly and not too pushy.

We chose to not use the "all inclusive" meals at the resort. For our family, we saved quite a bit paying a la carte. Also gave us the flexibility to dine elsewhere. The restuarants at the resort are decent. A reasonable value given Cabo prices (Cabo is expensive compared to other places in Mexico). Food was good, drinks are a little pricy. Be careful about ordering wine. House wine at the bar is fair, but a terrible value at $160 pesos a glass. We did find a great local place in town called Maro's Shrimp House. It's not fancy, but the food and service were excellent and Maro's a great guy. Try their signature drink, the Bulldog.

The Pueblo Bonito resorts are uniformly excellent. We've been to several over the last 6 years and have never been disappointed.

Room Tip: Presidential Suite provides 2 bedrooms and seperate family room. Excellent desks and views. Stay i...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach? Share your experiences!