“Thanksgiving Week Visit” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Erie, Colorado
“Thanksgiving Week Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My family and I were at the Sunset Beach from 11/17 to 11/24. We were expecting big crowds, but the resort never felt crowded. The pools were well attended, but we could always find chairs in good spots. Service around the pools was generally very good and always friendly. The Resturant Manager, Fausto, is a real gentleman and is sincerely interested in making sure you have a great experience at the resort.

We took the complementary shuttle to town several times for meals and to visit the other Pueblo resorts. It typically took about 20 minutes. We never had a problem getting shuttle passes and they were always on time. The town isn't that big and we could walk from the Rose resort to anywhere we wanted to go in about 15 minutes. We've been all over Mexico and have dealt with the gauntlet of street vendors. Cabo wasn't too bad compared to some of the other resort towns. The folks are friendly and not too pushy.

We chose to not use the "all inclusive" meals at the resort. For our family, we saved quite a bit paying a la carte. Also gave us the flexibility to dine elsewhere. The restuarants at the resort are decent. A reasonable value given Cabo prices (Cabo is expensive compared to other places in Mexico). Food was good, drinks are a little pricy. Be careful about ordering wine. House wine at the bar is fair, but a terrible value at $160 pesos a glass. We did find a great local place in town called Maro's Shrimp House. It's not fancy, but the food and service were excellent and Maro's a great guy. Try their signature drink, the Bulldog.

The Pueblo Bonito resorts are uniformly excellent. We've been to several over the last 6 years and have never been disappointed.

Room Tip: Presidential Suite provides 2 bedrooms and seperate family room. Excellent desks and views. Stay i...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,107)
Reno
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We stayed here from Oct 25 to Nov 8 2012. First the bad stuff, and there is a lot.
On Oct 27 the jets in the hot tub at the main pool broke and were never fixed by the time we left on Nov 8. Are you kidding me? Almost two weeks and you can't even fix the hot tub??! Lots of tiles are missing in the main pool and most of the jets in the grotto/bench seat area in the main pool don't work. I asked one of the pool servers about this and he told me that there are 7 pumps that run the jets in the grotto and only 2 are currently working. This is unacceptable. A complete lack of maintenance/up keep is going on at this property. We are owners here. What are our maintenance fees paying for if not maintenance and repair?
Also there are themed buffet nights with new poolside entertainment at La Nao on Monday and Thursday. A lot of pool seating is removed all day on these days to set up for the evening party. This inconveniences the guests all day long on Monday and Thursday because of the lack of chairs at the pool. Why does it take ALL DAY to set up for the evening buffet? Why do your guests have to put up with a lack of seating all day just so the resort can set up entertainment that doesn't start until the end of the day? Then, because of this entertainment, there is excessive noise until around 10:30PM. We were in building 8 and couldn't go to sleep at 10PM because of the noise. There is also a lot of noise created by the singer that entertained at the cigar bar every night. Her voice echoes throughout the resort and is too loud even inside our room. This resort used to be relaxing, but these activities create a lot of noise and make the atmosphere of the resort intrusive and not relaxing anymore. I'm sure that the management is trying to create energy and fun, but all the noise is too intrusive for the guests that are not at these events.
This property is still trying to sell timeshares. I would NOT recommend buying a timeshare from Pueblo Bonito Sunset when they cannot even keep up on basic maintenance.
The pool activities used to be excellent also but have declined dramatically recently. Israel and Miguel used to run the activities and they were great. All of the activities ran on time and the beach volleyball was great. This is no longer the case. Sunset has recently hired Sahara and Brent. Sahara is nice but she doesn't even know how to play volleyball. Brent is terrible. He is just lazy. He doesn't even run activities on time and he just cancels activities without notice. he doesn't even try to recruit people to play volleyball. Brent is a huge downgrade from the high standards that Israel and Miguel used to set at Sunset. Sahara is ok but needs training.
Now for the good stuff. The excellent staff other than pool activities help to overcome the lack of maintenance and upkeep and all of the the other recent changes for the worse. We received OUTSTANDING service at the main pool every day. Our favorite Sunset employee of all time is Angel Lopez Ventura, a food and drink server at the main pool. Every time we come to Sunset he remembers us, he even remembers our names, and he treats us like friends and not just guests. Angel is a great representative for Pueblo Bonito. He has given us the best service we've ever had, at any resort, ever. We also received great service from the pool food server Alonso, and from the supervisor Ignacio, also at the main pool area. Israel at the front desk also treated us well.
Overall this resort has some great employees that give great service, but the lack of maintenance, the recent changes that inconvenience the guests, and the bad pool activities make the overall experience less than it used to be. I would not recommend buying at this resort until these issues are addressed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Winfield, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I stayed there Thansgiving week 2012 and was in a very beautiful 2 bedroom suite that for on of the first times in Mexico had a great feathertop bed and slept almost too well. I chose to stay away from the all inclusive as i do not drink and had too many places in town thanks to Trip Advisor to check out. You take carts everywhere and I went to 4 of the 7 pools and they were nice but I like the a little cooler. As far as the food I did the La Nao argentina steak night and it was fantastic from the various delicious steaks, to the spinach salad and great begetables and other items, The only thing that was not that good were the desserts which to me and the people I was with very sub par and this is the only down thing of the week. It was very nice staff in every way and a great vacation.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

We have owned at PB sunset beach since it was built. I called in September to book our weeks for 2013. I was informed that the week from 2011 could not be used in 2013' it had to be used this year. Funny how no one bothered to let me know that. So, I decided to surprise my husband for our 15 th wedding anniversary . But guess what? They were booked, but they did offer Pacifica, so I took it. (Read my review of it). After arriving, my husband and I discussed the fact that we own at sunset beach, we pay our yearly maintenance fees, yet could not get a room. After much time and effort, they gave us a room for three nights. We agree with a previous reviewer that much has changed in the last few years. So where do we begin? Lets start with the main pool. All those tables and chairs set up everyday blocking the walkway was ridiculous. And if you wanted a chair you had to arrive @ 8:00 or earlier, otherwise you were out of luck. Yes, the pool needs attention. They stated they were repairing them. No they weren't . We just left there today, and the hot tub needed repaired, as well as the pool area. Now lets talk about the restaurants and the all inclusive. The all inclusive has created higher prices, smaller portions, and poor service. All this is a major factor if you are not doing the all inclusive. We don't drink alcoholic drinks, and so it would be overpriced. We were given four different prices for all inclusive ranging from 64.00 to 105.00 per person , per day. We elected not to do this because we enjoy going into town.
We agreed to attend the owners luncheon, even though our salesperson is no longer employed there. Randy, the salesperson we were assigned to had an ego as large as his stature. Wow! He talked so much we both had headaches when we left.
Lastly, lets talk about reservations. Israel and Luis at the front desk are both amazing. They care and want to help you in all matters. But you now have to talk to someone on the phone, not in person about making your reservations. We have made reservations for May 2013' but needed to adjust the days by five days. You guessed it. They are booked and cannot accommodate the change . Are you kidding me? So now it looks like we are going to bank our weeks and buy the weeks we need. I believe the management needs to take a closer look at what they are trying to accomplish. As one reviewer stated, this was a classy place, that you could relax and enjoy. It truly needs attention in a lot of areas. We left there feeling like no one is in charge, and no one really cares if you are happy with the service. Rumor has it, there is a class action lawsuit filed from owners who cannot book the units they purchased. It is obvious the staff isn't happy either.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I am an owner at PBS and when I purchased last year, I was given 3 stays before my maintenance began. This was my third time at one of the PB resorts, but my first stay at Sunset. At first I was skeptical about the walking, and proximity to everything based on reviews some had on here. Once I figured out where everything was, it was actually super quick to get around. There are a lot of little short cut stairways and you can alwyas access the golf cart roads if you want to walk instead of waiting on a cart.

I went with a great friend for a girls week, and it was just what we needed! The staff was amazing and helpful, and the room and resort was beautiful. We had a pool right in front of our hotel (bld 41) but once we went to the sky pool, we only used ours at night if we wanted to go in the Hot tub. We LOVED the sky pool. You will definitely need a golf cart to get there, but it is AMAZING! We never had a problem getting a lounge chair and were greeted by the same friendly and outgoing staff each day. We loved Federico and Marcos...Carlos was great too! The music was bumpin and the crowd was superfun! The infiniti pool is beautiful and the views are spectacular. We saw Whales twice from the sky pool during our stay. The service was fantastic and the people are just so friendly and accomodating.

We did the All inclusive, and made sure that we tipped well besides. I had done some "research" before going and found out that even though a portion of the all inclusive goes to the staff, it's not much. So we just made sure to give 5-20$ a day depending on how much our overall bill was. They really give awesome service and should definitely be rewarded for it! The all inclusive is the only way to go in my opinion if you drink. You don't have to worry about how much anything costs and you can truly relax. The restaurants were fabulous as well. La Nao's champange brunch was PHENOMINAL and La Frida was my absolute favorite. Manilla bar was a great place to go hang out around the fire with friends we met on the trip at night and a good place to check emails as the Wi-Fi is free.

The rooms are gorgeous and the views are stunning. We never had a problem getting a golf cart, and just gave a dollar each time they took us somewhere. If we went to town, we just made sure to make arrangements a couple hours before for the shuttle to Rose as they fill up fast. But as long as you plan ahead you will be just fine. Go to the Sunrise cafe in the morning, get your latte and your shuttle ticket for that afternoon...simple. Taxi's are always an option too. It's only 12$ into town. You'll probably want to pay for the Wi-Fi as it's only 70-80$ for the whole week, and I had HORRIBLE cell service. I thought 70-80$ was too expensive. I wish I had done it however. I turned on my data roaming and within 20-30 minutes I had racked up 50$ in charges through Verizon. For the whole week it is definitely worth it...and even though we can get it for half that at home, things are different in Mexico. It will be well worth the money than to come home to a huge cell bill.

My friend did the timeshare tour and got discounts at Cabo Dolphins for us both as well as a 200$ spa credit. It is sooooooooo worth the couple hours to get such a great discount. They give you endless margaritas and a great breakfast plus hundreds of dollars in "stuff"! What's to complain about there?!

As two single ladies going to Cabo we felt very safe. We are in our early 30's and met many people our age while we were there. The resort itself is pretty quiet at night so you'll want to head into town if you want nightlife, but we actually really enjoyed that part of it. We would stay out til 3am one night and the next be in bed at 10pm...up the next morning sweating it out in the gym. The gym is super. Tons of cardio equipment and really nice weights. And with the walking up the hills all the time, you definitely feel better about all of those "boofets" you'll be eating!!

Overall, we had a wonderful time, made friends we will vacation with again, friends we will come visit in Cabo again, and made lasting memories.

Top Picks of the trip... Sky Pool, La Nao, La Frida, Bistro Sushi, the Spa, the Gym, Retro night at La Nao, Champagne Brunch at La Nao, Carnival Night at Rose and Manilla Bar.

One thing! DO NOT talk to the men who tell you that they represent your driver at the airport! They will tell you that it's different now, that it's not a timeshare scam. IT IS!! Just walk past. Your driver/shuttle is outside. My friend got stuck thinking the guy she was talking to was from cape travel. He wasn't. Cape Travel was outside waiting with the clipboard with our names on it. It's definitely a great way to go. It was really cheap to get to the resort and you will meet people that you'll most likely be hanging out with again on your trip.

Have FUN!

Room Tip: If you want to be at the Sky Pool, choose a room up top, we really liked Building 41 as it was prett...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Bethesda, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

We just came back from another great vacation at PB Sunset Beach. We bought two units there in 2007, a Presidential Suite and Penthouse Suite. This year we invited 4 other couples to join us and rented both units for the same week. Everything worked out great. Staff at the front desk were able to get us units near each other which is what we wanted.

First the praise. Luis at the front desk is the best! We had five couples, all with different credit cards registered. Luis was able to resolve a couple of issues that came up regarding our charges and credits on these accounts. He was calm and professional at all times. The management should take note of his skills. He makes people want to come back! THANK YOU LUIS!!! Our housekeeper, Irma, was also fantastic. We cook in out suite a lot when we are there and like trying all sorts of Mexican recipes. She loved this and offered a helpful suggestion to the various peppers and other Mexican ingredients. Thanks Irma. And then there is Marcel in reservations. He is also fantastic.

Now for the suggestions. We noticed some changes this time that were less than welcoming. First our favorite pool is no longer adult only. It is near Building 42 I believe, just up the stairs from Building 33. When we asked we were told that now there is only 1 adult only pool at the resort. We love children and have 4 grandchildren of our own, but when we vacation we don't like to have that energy around us when we are trying to relax and rejuvenate before returning to work. I would ask that the resort try to be more accommodating to the adults. There are five pools. More than just one should be an adult only pool. This is a big issue for us and we heard several other couples commenting the same. The second thing is just the general upkeep at the pool areas. Used towels were left sitting on chairs for long periods of time and other Jed items laying around. Nothing major but for a 5-star resort the details matter. Finally the theme nights at La Nao have changed dramatically, and NOT for better. They now lack the elegance of previous years. We went to the Mexican Night and were told by the concierge that if people didn't want the buffet they could order from the menu. When all 10 of us showed up at the restaurant we were told that it was the buffet only. That meant that we had to split up our celebration as only 4 of us wanted the buffet. And it has turned into a show with different entertainment groups. This is totally not an elegant addition. It makes me feel like I am at a theme park. BAD IDEA! La Nao also has an 80's night. We did not go but had no choice but to participate. The music was loud and went late. We were in building 33 but I am sure the music also effected many buildings. I called to complain about the noise but nothing was done.

I bought into PB Sunset because of its elegance. I worry now that it is becoming just "typical". I hope not.

Stayed October 2012
Winston Salem, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My wife and I took our 3 kids (all under 5 years old) on this vacation. We like to explore and have options when we travel. Typically, we do not sit around in our room or live by the pool for several days at a time. Traveling with 3 little ones makes it slightly more difficult but we still like to get out as much as possible. We always enjoy eating local food and seeing what the area has to offer.

Our stay was scheduled for 7 nights in September 2012 at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach.

When we arrived at Sunset Beach around noon, we noticed lots of pretty tropical plants and trees and a very peaceful environment. Everyone seemed nice as we checked in and waited on our room until 4:00. We had lunch at the Bistro (we did not select the all inclusive plan) and the food was ok. At 4:00 we checked into building 24 which was convenient to the sunrise cafe and free wi-fi.

Like other reviewers mention, the setting is on a mountain and to get from one place to another you can walk the steep cart paths or call for a golf cart to pick you up (fun at first but gets old quick). The golf carts arrived quickly and the drivers were helpful and one even gave us a tour of the entire grounds, which was nice. The room was simple and slightly above average. The view from our room wasn’t anything to brag about.

After check in, we took the kids to the sky pool. It seemed like a lot of people were leaving when we were just getting to the pool. The swim up bars were closed and the sun was setting. It was very quiet and peaceful and a great view. Actually, all of the pools that we visited during our stay were nice.

The following day we caught the free shuttle to the sister hotel, Pueblo Bonito Rose. We went there because we wanted to check out the downtown area. The walk to downtown was pretty simple, even with a stroller and 2 other little ones. Later in the day we returned to Sunset Beach to swim at the pools and eat.

After dinner we tried to find some type of entertainment, music or something to do, but seems we were out of luck. We quickly started feeling very secluded at Sunset. There wasn’t much to do at the hotel and we were too far away from everything to travel outside. We questioned whether we chose the right hotel to stay at.

The next morning we shuttled back to the Rose and began talking to them about options to transfer over. We checked out rooms at the Rose and also at the other sister hotel, Pueblo Bonito Blanco, right next door. We really felt like these hotels met our needs even more. They weren’t quite as luxurious but the swimmable beach was right behind us and the views were beautiful. We could walk out of our room to the pool without needing a golf cart and the downtown area was also an easy walk. After giving it some thought we chose to stay at Blanco.

Sunset, Rose and Blanco were all very easy going and helpful with our transfer. We packed our bags at Sunset and caught a cab to Blanco. Our room at Blanco was a step down but still an average room. We were given a jr. suite at check in so we had a little bit more room. Our girls were thrilled to have flamingos and turtles right outside of our patio. The beds weren’t as comfortable as they were at Sunset but the front desk was very helpful in letting us test out other rooms. The rooms were older and a bit dated but it met our needs and made everyone happy. We now felt like we had options on how to spend our vacation and evenings.

We spent 3 nights at Sunset and 4 at Blanco and we were happy with our decision. While at Blanco we never ate at the hotel so we can’t report on the food. The pool was nice and it was easy to walk back and forth to Rose where you could also swim in their pool. The mosquitoes were bad through the entire area but they didn’t seem to bite as much as we are used to back home. The bugs were a nuisance the entire week everywhere we went.

Blanco did not provide free wi-fi but you could get access by going to the deli at the Rose. Slightly annoying but we tried to stay away from phones and internet while on vacation anyway. The walk to downtown was about 15 minutes and a little dark at night but seemed safe. There you could enjoy the bars, clubs, flea markets and local restaurants. There was a lot more to offer in the downtown area than I was expecting. We didn’t get to take full advantage of the night life because we were traveling with the kids. The kids loved the pools, the birds and we took them on a glass bottom boat where they got to see sea lions.

Overall the Blanco fit our vacation needs more than Sunset. We were only approached by a time share rep 1 time during our entire week there. They may have stayed clear of us because of the kids. We never encountered any lines, crowds, lack of pool chairs etc. at either hotel (seems we traveled in the off season). Everyone, for the most part, was pleasant but it did seem like anything beyond the basics came with a hefty fee. Internet, gym use, etc. etc. all had fees. Both hotels were nice but it all depends on what you are looking for in a vacation. As far as returning, we aren’t sure if we would. It is a long flight from the east coast and many other areas to visit and check off the list.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach? Share your experiences!