“The accommodations great! Management not so great!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villa La Estancia

Save Saved
You added Villa La Estancia to your Saves list
Villa La Estancia
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Camino Viejo A San Jose Km 0.5, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico (Formerly Villa La Estancia)   |
Ranked #5 of 66 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Centennial, Colorado
“The accommodations great! Management not so great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

This was a last minute booking for our fall break trip that was supposed to be to New York City. Unfortunately, Sandy caused us to cancel all of our plans ( we got all of our money back, much to my surprise) and try and quickly re-book to Cabo. I changed the length of our stay in Cabo and am still waiting for my $800 refund for the night we did not stay. I have gotten emails from The Villagroup saying "we will take care of it" and nothing yet.
But beyond that the property and condos were beautiful, the staff exceptional and the service on property some of the best I have had. We enjoyed the meal plan and found all of the restaurants great! The chef went out of his way to cook the Mahi we caught ourselves perfectly!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
rvanbalderen, Gerente at Villa La Estancia, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
We thank you for your kind review. Your comments have been forwarded to those involved. We hope to have the opportunity to host you once again in a near future.

Rene Van Balderen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Arlington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I want to write a long review that lets everybody know what to expect when you stay at Villa La Estancia with 2 children. We did do the all inclusive option called either the "gourmet eating plan" or the "premium meal plan". They were running a special that the kids stay and eat free. Let me just say there is NOT a huge choice for the children. If your kids are picky and not the age where they cannot eat off your plate they are required to eat off the childrens menu in the restaurants that are not buffet. The kids menu through out all the resorts (Arco, Palmar and Estancia) are basically the same. They can choose from quesadilla with chicken or steak with fries, grilled cheese, chicken fingers, fish strips, peanut butter and jelly sandwich and mini hamburgers. There are a few other things that I can't remember. I will say after 8 days and that menu 2 times a day got really old for the kids. We did attempt to do the buffet because of this at Palmar, however, we ran into 3 occasions that the kids could barely find anything that they liked. I even had a issue once that I didn't find anything I liked and I'm not picky. The buffet was hit or miss at Palmar. Either really good with a ton of choices or not good at all. Just depends on your individual taste.

As far as the room, we were in room 3203A. It was a 2 bedroom, 3 bath suite and it was beautiful! Everything I expected and more. I do not have any complaints about it. A great view of the sea and pool. Beautifully furnished, comfortable beds and pillows, always cleaned to perfection ( and I have a cleaning business so I really have an eye for finding dirt). The one thing that I did not like was the mosquitos! They somehow were in the suite when we arrived in each bathroom. Not a lot of them, just that they were there and my son is allergic to the bites. So we did deal with a bite that swelled up to the size of a golf ball that required us to go to the pharmacy at Palmar and buy a $14 tube of hydrocortizone (2.5% which requires a prescription in the u.s.) which worked great. Also, we were supplied with new towels, mints, shampoo, conditioner, lotion and soaps every day. Never an issue with not having them when we needed them in each bathroom.

The pools were great! Del Arco has the best and is heated and feels like bath water. It is so nice and you can swim at anytime and not have to adjust to the temp as it's perfect! Having said that we were not allowed to use the Del Arco pool. We didn't realize it until the end, so we obviously did it anyway. It's weird how they have it set up. If you stay at Estancia you can go to Palmar and use their pool, but you can't use Del Arco's pool. Del Arco and Palmar can not come to Estancia. The pool at Estanica was always quiet and relaxing. No noise and no activities. Occasionally (probably everyday, but I didn't notice because we were at other pools) they had water aerobics that looked fun. The only pool that did some minor games and activities was Palmar. Palmar was loud on occasion with children and adults and a water slide that was fun for the kids. The upper part of the pool is for adults only. We were approached and asked to move in a very nice way. With the pools you are certain to find one you like and there are comfortable chairs and plenty of room (at this time of year anyway, we went Jan. 23-30). They have pool towels that we brought with us from Estanica everyday to any of the pools. The jacuzzis are all over and they varie in temperature. Either really hot or slightly hot, but you are sure to find one that you love. I had quite a few. I think Estanica has 4 or 5? The waiters are good and bring you drinks to your chair. The way they have the all inclusive set up with different from other all inclusives if you are used to all inclusive. SInce there are people there that are NOT on the meal plan they require a signature and room # with every drink and food order. Can be annoying when you are trying to enjoy the pool. However, the least of my worries in such a beautiful environment :)

The beach was not the greatest, but given the other options around Cabo I hear it is one of the nicer ones in the area. If you are used to fine soft sand it is not. It has small rocks mixed with course sand and I don't even think you could build a sand castle? We didn't try, because we did not spend much time at all on the beach. The flag was always on red and it was not safe to swim. If you want to just lay in the sun on a chair, it certainly meets all of those expectations. Also, it is hard to walk in... although I did see quite a few people strolling down the beach.

The spa at Del Arco was disappointing. I would like to say it was probably that I just had a random experience which probably does not happen to most. They seem organized for the most part. They did not put down all of my services on my reservation and were not able to to accomodate all my requests. Also, they say if you want to enjoy the facilities (which you can only enjoy if you have a spa service) (saunas, whirlpools, plunge pool steam room) you need to be there a 1/2 hour early. I was there early, but they spent so much time trying to figure out my reservation that I was going to take a step into the whirlpool and it was time for my service. It was disappointing and they seemed unapologetic. One of my services was great and the other was so so. I did get to enjoy the facility after my services, but I felt like I would ruin what I had done by enjoying the entire facility. It was disappointing. They did say I could enjoy the spa the rest of the day, but since my service was done at 5:30 and the spa was only open until 8... it didn't seem like such a great deal. It would have been nice since they screwed up my experience that they would have allowed me to enjoy the facility the following day as well. I really only wanted to enjoy it for about an hour on my own.

I hope this gives everybody a accurate idea of what this resort is like. Please feel free to ask me questions if you would like to know anything.

Room Tip: We were in the 3rd phase. I would say the 1st and 3rd are the best. The higher the floor the furth...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
rvanbalderen, Gerente at Villa La Estancia, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
We appreciated the time you took to share your experience with othes. Your comments are highly appreciated as they assist us in our effort to improve our service. We hope to have the opportunity to host you once again on your next visit to Cabo.

Kind Regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

This is the fourth year my husband and I have rented a condo at Villa La Estancia. We have been happily satisfied every time.
The staff is friendly and welcoming. The pool is beautiful and has enough chairs for all the guests wishing to sit. There is pool side bar and food service. The grounds are landscaped nicely and taken care of. The villas are well stocked with dishes and any thing else you could want. The accommodations are first class.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
We are pleased to know that you had a grate time at Vila La Estancia. We look forward to welcoming you soon, on your next vacations.

Monterey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Very comfortable place to stay while in Cabo, the service and friendliness of the staff was very very good. Located right on the beach and within a 10 minute walk to town. Highly recommended great for couples and adults. While there appears to be many nice resorts to choose from this is where I'll call home when in Cabo.

• Stayed January 2013
On behalf of Villa La Estancia we would like to thank you for your preference. We look forward to welcoming you back to beautiful Cabo.

central jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We recently returned from a wonderful stay at Villa La Estancia in Cabo San Lucas Mexico, January 5-10 2013. This was our second trip to Cabo. First trip we stayed closer to San Jose Cabo but for this trip with both sons, ages 20 and 22 we decided to stay closer to more activities for them. Villa La Estancia was the perfect location. I rented a two bedroom unit, 1305, directly from owner on VRBO. Unit was absolutely stunning.Unit was extremely large with wonderful large balcony. Master bedroom had its own sofa so that was very nice and bath for master bedroom was huge with great closets--but very few hangers. Great kitchen with washer and dryer but it would have been nice to have paper towels, dish clothes, etc. there for use. Only issue was not sure if due to time of year, or if it is always, there was very little sun on balacony. Also, at times there were large groups in hot tub and it was a bit noisy so would probably rent closer to beach front to enjoy the views and sun. Entire resort was spotless and the staff and employees were always busy cleaning and doing things and would always acknowledge with a cheery hello and how are you. Only other issue was not sure if we would dine again at La Casona. We ate there first evening and everything was wonderful so we decided to dine there again our final evening and it was not good. I did ask for an adjustment to vey expensive dinner, approx. $300.00 for our family of four, and did not receive an adjustment. Our steaks were terrible and service was very poor.Felt that resturant was understaffed that evening and was a totally different experience that first evening. Much better choices in town, including Tres Gallos and La Corona. We also tried breakfast there, but again, very expensive, and food on bufet was not covered and therefore exposed to flies which wasn't appetizing. Server was wonderful though.Walk up beach and find many breakfast spots. Villa La Estancia was a perfect location to walk down beach each morning to The Office for breakfast. Very reasonable and do not miss their wonderful pineapple filled fruit tray. You can easily walk back or take a water taxi which was fun. Also lots of activities right next to VLE. See Oscar for best jet ski rates. Boys also did ATVing and enjoyed that. One other note is make sure you have a credit card with raised numbers. We rented a car through Thrifty and upon trying to pay, we were unable to use our Presidential Plus United Card as the brand new ones do not have raised numbers and Thrifty wanted an old fashioned imprint of the card. We argued for almost half an hour as it is the only card we use, but then my husband remembered he had his business card so we used that, but then had to pay for all the extra insurance that was standard with Presidential Card, but not with his business card. That was only place we had an issue.
I would highly recommend Cabo and VLE. The Mexican people were so welcoming and we felt safe and secure at all times. Also, no need to go to Walmart as the little market right at VLE had comporable prices to Walmart--yes we were surprised too, with coffee being less than Walmart. Suntan lotion, soda, bottled water, all same pricing as walmart and so very convenient. We have already recommended VLE to many friends and will definately return.

Room Tip: The best views are of course oceanfront units and one back. The phase one side does get afternoon su...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
On behalf of Villa La Estancia we offer you our deepest apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. Do believe your remarks will not go unnoticed. We hope that in the future you would give us the opportunity to change this past experience.

Reedley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The property is cared for every single day! It is incredibly manicured, from the grass to the trees. The hotel is beautiful, and the staff are very helpful. 6+ stars for the staff and general property! However, our rooms were outdated on furniture, as our outdoor lounger was ripping, and the wood was dying. However, our friend's rooms werent as bad as ours, as they had better furniture and was more cared for. The room was extremely clean also! We will be back soon!

Room Tip: The rooms on the 3rd floor in building 1 are furnished nicer!!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
rvanbalderen, Gerente at Villa La Estancia, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
We appreciate your valuable comments, and we would like to offer you our apologies for the inconveniences; we are working with the new furniture in to the villas, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome once again on your next vacations.
Lake Forest, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have been coming to Cabo over the years with our kids. Always sunny & warm! We love Villa La Estancia. The location is great. close enough to town & restaurants but family-oriented. We like the pool & the chairs on the sand too! Nice to be by the swimming beach. The staff is wonderful! They are always very helpful, friendly & courteous!

Room Tip: The 2-bedroom units are great for families!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
rvanbalderen, Gerente at Villa La Estancia, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay at Villa La Estancia. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Cabo and provide you the quality and service you expect and deserve.

Kind Regards,
Rene Van Balderen

Been to Villa La Estancia? Share your experiences!