“Fabulous” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villa La Estancia

Save Saved
You added Villa La Estancia to your Saves list
Villa La Estancia
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Camino Viejo A San Jose Km 0.5, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico (Formerly Villa La Estancia)   |
Ranked #5 of 66 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Sydney, Australia
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I LOVED this place. The accommodation was sensational, the staff helpful, warm and friendly. The views were a highlight. Everything at your finger tips. I will be going back. So close to San Jose and Cabo. The food was excellent at the resort, not so great at the adjoining resorts. Food was value for money.

Room Tip: One bedroom villa- views, comfort
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
rvanbalderen, Gerente at Villa La Estancia, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
We thank you for your valuable comments. We look forward to welcoming you once again in the near future.

Cordially,

728 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We just returned from over two weeks at Villa La Estancia...our second visit in 18 months. My last review, in April of 2011, was raving and highly commented upon. Everything is well cared for at VLE, and the grounds are magnificently manicured. Conveniences are right there on property, and the food in both La Parilla and La Casona are above par. Security is taken very seriously here and we never once felt uncomfortable on site.

One concern was the absence of useable WiFi anywhere on the property other than in the lobby. WiFi does exist on the grounds, and a strong signal will be readily secured by your device just about anywhere on the property, but no data ever transfers, either in or out. Something is seriously wrong with the system, and this was a daily subject of discussion and frustration amongst the dozens of fellow guests we spoke with. In this information age, WiFi is sort of like oxygen to, most likely, nearly all of the guests stating at a high-end resort such as VLE. Frankly, the lack of it is both baffling and highly frustrating.

Nonetheless, WiFi was mostly always available in the lobby, and this was a significant place of guest congregation throughout the day and into the evening as this was the only place to access it. We appreciated that it was indeed available there, and we were able to stay connected.

Another thing to be aware of is that this resort, although not technically a timeshare property, is a deeded ownership resort with full, 1/4 and 1/8th shares. You need to know that some of the owners are very, very poor ambassadors for the resort in general, and have a strong sense of entitlement that can be extremely offensive to those who rent at VLE. I was verbally assaulted be one owner by the name of Donna when she perceived that I was taking a poolside lawn chair that was secretly "hers". She shouted at me from across the pool area as if I were a dog, and she was very rude and condescending, letting me know that her husband, Brooks, needed his sun. I did not respond in kind, as that is not my style. Frankly, I feel sorry for her fellow owners, as one crucial item that must exist for the vast majority of them to make their investments viable is the rental market and Donna is a vile and hateful example of an owner who takes every opportunity to give owners a bad reputation.

Anyway, I soon put that offense behind me and took the high road and we thoroughly and completely enjoyed our remaining days at VLE. We appreciate all that the staff at VLE does to ensure that our vacation experience is a positive one, and we understand that owner attitudes are not likely within management's control.

We cannot say enough great things about the staff at VLE, regardless of where they work within the resort. Absolutely delightful, personable and friendly! Muchas Gracias to Daniel, Ramon, Alberto, Oscar, Alonso y Carlos and all of the wonderfully pleasant ladies in the fitness center for making our stay a delight! You guys are the best of the best, and I would hire any one of you in an instant!

Thanks again, and we will be back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
rvanbalderen, Gerente at Villa La Estancia, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind comments. We offer you our deepest apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay with the wifi, our system department are working on it. We hope to have the opportunity to host you once again on your next vacations.

Regards,
Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Yes, Mexico is hard to travel to. It takes a little more work than traveling domestically but I promise you this resort is worth the extra effort. We have stayed here twice and both times were perfect. I have always booked our rooms through private owners, but you can book directly with the resort as well.

The rooms are HUGE. Both units we rented were 2 bed 3 bath 2200 sq ft suites. I think this is the norm. We had another couple with us and the room layout makes it perfect. The view is sensational, it's right on Medano beach. We had breakfast on the balcony everyday with the beautiful ocean in the background. Everything was top notch and worked great. The staff is very friendly, attentive and protective of their guests. The resort itself is wonderful. We laid out by the pool daily and took advantage of the swim up bar. The grounds are beautifully manicured and well taken care of.

They do have an all inclusive option, however, we preferred to go into town for dinner. There are some amazing restaurants a short taxi ride away. If you prefer to walk, it takes about 15 minutes. We did both depending on our mood. The restaurant at the pool is a good option for lunch, however, we don't so much care for the fine dining restaurant La Casona. There are better options in town for way less. We did go to Wal-Mart to buy some groceries and drinks. It's an $8 cab ride from the hotel. Well worth the trip!!

You absolutely cannot go wrong staying here!! We are already planning our third trip back in December!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
rvanbalderen, Gerente at Villa La Estancia, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
On behalf of Villa La Estancia we thank you for your feedback, regarding your stay with us and for sharing it with others. We look forward to welcoming you soon on your next visit in December to beautiful Cabo and provide you with the excellent service you expect and deserve.

Kind Regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is top notch and upscale from every perspective. My family booked a two bedroom suite which was amazingly large, seriously great space. The living area with full kitchen, living room and dining room. The master and other bedroom were great size. It had three bathrooms, including a really large master bath and closet area. All connected by large deck. The appointments and furnishings were really nice. Not a single complaint about space or unit. The service at front desk and concierge were excellent. The place is kept up and clean and has nice gardens. The pool and beach are really good. Great location, on nice beach, close enough to town but not in middle of hub bub. We would return and definitely highly recommend this resort.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
We thank you for your comments, we really appreciate your opinion, we look forward to welcoming you soon to Villa La Estancia on your next vacation.

Cordially,

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We booked a week at La Villa Estancia based on the high ratings and rave reviews on Tripadvisor. Overall we were a bit underwhelmed. We came during a particularly quiet period a couple of weeks before Christmas. We stayed in a 2BR villa in Building 3. It got the morning sun although we would have preferred afternoon sun. If staying here I would try to get a unit in Building 1, especially in the winter months.

We expected the resort to be quiet and it was, as appropriately described by previous reviews. The abundance of poolside lounge chairs was welcome. The staff was friendly and helpful when we needed directions and recommendations. We liked the pool – especially the large kiddie area that led to the larger adult part of the pool; this was great because we did not have to move pools to enjoy a splash in the water or spend the day at the children’s pool. However we were disappointed by several aspects of the hotel:

1) Poor service – given that it was so quiet around the pool, you would expect poolside staff to be abundantly available. But the wait to order a drink was long. We too often saw staff chatting away too busy to notice people languishing in dehydration.

2) The rooms lacked some of the details that you would expect at a 4 star hotel/resort. In many ways, it has more of a condo complex feel rather than a hotel/resort feel. There are no slippers/robes. While the rooms have nice L'Occitane products, they were not fully replenished by housekeeping. Also, I always felt like there was a shortage of towels. The little washcloths were not replenished.

3) In December the nights get chilly and the blankets are not warm enough. I woke up cold at 5 in the morning a few of the nights. In the villa we stayed in, the floors are all marble. I’m sure it would be great in the summer, but in winter after 5:30pm when the sun goes down, the floors are icy. And as mentioned there are no slippers. It sucks if you have to wake up at night to use the bathroom.

4) Location is not ideal. If we return to Cabo, I would prefer to be closer into downtown. We were with our 2.5 year old so couldn’t do the 20+ minute walk in the evenings. We took a taxi without car seat which made me uneasy.

5) This won’t apply to most people but if renting a crib, be warned that it is a mini-crib. The crib rental is $10/day which we knew before arriving and we were fine with paying. But when it was delivered we realized it was a mini-crib. We probably would have brought our own GoCrib if we had known it would be so small.

Room Tip: If afternoon sun is preferable choose a room on a high floor in Building 1. Rooms on ground floor h...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

What a deal this place is, top notch resort. We were able to get a room with balcony right on the beach ball four floors up awesome view of the rocks looking toward downtown Cabo. Like other reviewers for la estancia we used Malcolm and Vicki and can't say enough good things about the process and working with them to make our first trip to Cabo a success. La estancia vacations.com
We spent a few days just using the beach, sitting by the pool, eating lunch at the restaurant by the pool, and everything was excellent. We did not try the restaurant for dinner because it was such an easy beach walk or water taxi ride down the beach into town to Cabo and to try all the restaurants there. In fact our daily routine was to around 5/6 o'clock take a water taxi ride from the hotel into Cabo San Lucas get dropped off at the marina and then shop around, get a few drinks in town, and then walk back on the beach, stopping at restaurants like Baja Cantina right on the beach highly - recommend that.
The room was really clean, nicely furnished. Fell asleep every night to the sound of waves. The landscaping was very well done, tropical and like a botanical garden. No timeshare hard sell that we experienced. We'd definitely recommend la estancia.

• Stayed December 2012
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed at Villa La Estancia for six days starting with December 9. We got the package through Costco Travel and for an ocean view apartment with one bdr/living room/kitchen/washer & dryer (unit 3305) we paid $3,031.59 which included the airline, transportation from/to the airport, and $150 credit to be used at the restaurant. The units are very nice, the view of the ocean is great and the grounds are kept immaculate BUT… I cannot rate the building only without taking in consideration other factors surrounding my stay there.
When we got out of the plane we had to stay in a line and have our passports looked at, but while in line we had to fill in another form besides the two forms they gave us already on the plane. So, it wasn’t very easy, for with one hand you had to move your luggage and with the other hand we had to fill in this new form. Why wasn't everything handled on the plane? After that we picked up our checked in luggage and then went through a gate where we had to press a button and a light would come up. If the light is green you go through toward the exit, but if the light is read then you have to stop and have your luggage manually checked by customs. Our light was green so we were lucky not to be stopped by customs.
Outside there was nobody with a “Costco” sign as we were told by Costco Travel but somehow we figured out the company which had to drive us to the hotel. Even so it took about 40 minutes until we left, for the driver had to wait for other people besides us to be picked up. This process was not very smooth.
The check-in was pretty smooth and nobody ever bothered us in the whole time we spent there with time share sales as other people complained in previous reviews.
I spoke to people who got very sick from the running water in Los Cabos. I’ve heard that La Estancia has its own filtering system, but the advice on Trip Advisor and from some of my friends who traveled to Los Cabos before me was “Do not drink or brush your teeth with running water and when you take a shower do not let water enter your mouth. Use only bottled water.” Well, I traveled a lot through the US and Canada and never had to worry about such things. And believe me, it is inconvenient to brush your teeth with bottled water!
Then the vendors on the beach are amusing the first day but they become a nuisance afterwards, for we were there to relax and on vacation and not to constantly hear “Amigos, amigos do you want to buy this or that” and having to again and again answer, “No, thank you.” At least there is a portion of the beach reserved just for the hotel and the vendors usually don’t cross the line (though there were a few exceptions when vendors ventured in the guests area) but they are allowed to shout at you from a few feet away and invade your privacy at any time with total disrespect for us as guests. I don't mind the vendors having small beach front fixed points where they can sell their stuff but to shout at you nonstop seems to me abusive. I could see that about 80% of the guests at the resort were sitting inside the hotel grounds around the swimming pools, and because of the vendors roaming the around they would avoid the beach in front of the hotel. But what’s then the purpose of paying a hefty price for a “hotel on the beach” if because of the “beach vendors” one cannot lay on the beach? Anyway, one day I got a pair of sunglasses from one of the vendors and I paid $7 for it. I wore it about a day and a half and some red irritations suddenly showed up on my face and around my eyes exactly where the frame touched my skin. I realized that the frame had some dangerous chemicals in it so I stopped wearing them and I even left them behind at the hotel. A day later my irritations disappeared. These beach vendors are selling all kind of stuff and though my bad experience was with sunglasses I have a feeling that the other items they sell are of the same poor quality and made with cheap dangerous chemicals. Those with kids should stay away from anything these vendors sell.
In town it’s nice but again there is a total lack of respect for tourists and everybody is shouting at you offering you trips, time shares and who knows what else.
We used once a local bus from downtown to Walmart and... was surprised to say the least. Buses are white and look like our school buses just smaller and much older. It was a very uncomfortable ride.
I want to mention one more thing. I spoke to the owners of a quarter of one of the condos and they pay (for a quarter of a year) $8,000 per year for maintenance. That means that all four owners pay a total of $32,000 per year maintenance fee just for one unit. I mentioned this detail and also the price we paid for our travel package in order to make a point. As a foreign guest in Mexico, one is expected to give tips at every corner and to everybody. Yes, Mexicans are very poorly paid. A cleaning woman makes about $4 per day. Waiters, the front desk people at the hotel, the taxi drivers make an average of $7 per day. The per night fees they charge the Americans and Canadians are relatively similar with what hotels charge in North America, so my question is why Mexican workers are paid 10 to 20 times less than their counterparts in the US or Canada? There is a huge rip-off which unfortunately affects not only their local workers but the tourists as well, for tourists are expected to pick up the tab and pay these poor people’s salaries through constant tipping.
We bought some food from Walmart (trip by cab $7). There is also a Costco store but did not get a chance to visit it. Walmart has a good food section. The pastries are inexpensive and very good but watch out for other food items. We bought some chicken and when we got back to the hotel we realized that one of the packages was completely rotten and had to throw it away. Also Walmart in Mexico looks more like one of our dollar stores here, but hey, Walmart and Costco may be your best option in getting safe food.
There was another small inconvenience related to the La Casona restaurant which is on the resort’s premises. They told me that a bottle of Pelegrino is 50 pesos, but after I came to the room I realized that they charged 85 pesos per bottle ($1 US= 12 pesos), went back to the restaurant, spoke to another guy asked again how much is a bottle, this time he said 45 pesos, showed him the receipt with the mistake but they refused to adjust it, so I had to go to the front desk and eventually they took care of it. Our package included a “pillow menu” and a “beach bag” but the hotel did not provide them to us. We had to ask a couple of days later for the beach bag and when we asked about the pillow the front desk guy wasn’t sure what that was and eventually we gave up on it.
Well, if you’re comfortable with the inconveniences of vacationing in a 3rd world country, then go ahead and book your trip. Otherwise think of Hawaii or Florida.
TIP: DO NOT buy a time share in Mexico. Buy it in Hawaii or Florida and then trade your points for a resort on Mexico if one year you want to go there. Mexico is very volatile because of the drug cartels and many people who bought in Acapulco for example some years ago now count their losses for nobody wants to go to Acapulco anymore.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Villa La Estancia? Share your experiences!