“Amazing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villa La Estancia

Save Saved
You added Villa La Estancia to your Saves list
Villa La Estancia
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Camino Viejo A San Jose Km 0.5, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico (Formerly Villa La Estancia)   |
Ranked #5 of 66 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Had never experienced Cabo before, but the property and grounds were world class. I purchased the package "Luxury Romantic" for our Anniversary. Phenominal. La Casona is the property's flagship restaurant for good reason. Chef Ricardo is by far one of the best culinarians I've had the pleasure of meeting. With the first bite, you knew that everything would be the best. Fine beef from the Midwest and perfectly prepared. If we go back to Cabo, this will be the place.

726 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

My best trip to Cabo yet. Stayed here with 5 friends in August 2012. The resort is gorgeous. Immaculate, excellent service and great food. The breakfast buffet was delicious and rotated items daily. There were plenty of Mexican specialties like chorizo in addition to the standard fare of bagels & pancakes. The staff was so attentive at setting up our chairs/towels by the pool and remembering our drinks. The room was huge and well stocked. Plenty of towels and bottles of water. We had an ocean view room with a patio that was magnificent. 2 ceiling fans, plenty of outdoor seating and a barbeque. Look no further when heading to Cabo. The Estancia can't be beat!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I have a 10/31 fiscal year end and this year it was especially brutal. So, I decided for a post-10/31 R&R trip and booked a few days at Villa La Estancia. I didn't get there until evening, so I didn't get a chance to see what it really looked like. The room they gave me was at the back end of the property -- near the lobby -- and didn't appear to have that great of views. I had trouble with my entrance door -- it wouldn't accept the magnetic key even after changing it several times, so they relocated me to a different room. Had I stayed in the 1st room, I think my experience would've been a bit different. But the new room was toward the front of the hotel with amazing ocean views. I was in just a hotel room type accommodation -- not a full villa with kitchen, etc. -- but I just loved it. From the moment you get to your unit -- with the iron entry gate and vestibule -- to the jacuzzi tub and large balcony, it just makes you feel so good! As many others have said, it's very quiet here, so if your idea of a fun time in Mexico is Tequila shots at the pool bar, then this isn't the place. It's actually not really a hotel, but a private villa residence. However, many of the owners rent out their units when they are not there and the property is managed like a hotel -- concierge, several restaurants, daily maid service, etc. The larger villas looked amazing -- with really huge balconies -- most with wet bars and barbeques -- so you could really settle in and feel at home here vs. being just at a hotel. All of the people I encountered who work there were very nice and helpful. Several people have mentioned that the food there was expensive -- I guess relative to what you usually pay in Mexico, maybe. But as compared to what I pay in the U.S., I thought it was reasonable. And normally when I'm in Mexico, even when I'm at a nice restaurant, the food is generally very sub-standard -- shoe leather meat, etc. -- but everything I had a VLE was great. And to top off everything, their spa was fabulous! Very big, spacious facility with several rain/massage showers, hot/warm/cool jacuzzi pools, etc. and they must've had about 20-30 treatment rooms -- so you'd probably never have a problem getting an appointment. At any rate, I loved this place and would definitely go back. In fact, I'm thinking of making it an annual post 10/31 plan!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
West Covina, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed there a few years ago and was remiss in not writing a review earlier. We stayed in a two bedroom villa and it was bigger than my house! I loved it. The bedrooms were separated by the living space (full kitchen, living room, restroom). One bedroom, a.k.a. Junior suite had two twin or full size beds, kitchenette, and bathroom. The Master Suite had a king size bed, sitting area, master bath with jacuzzi tub. In case you failed to notice our suite had three bathrooms, It was awesome! The decor was fabulous, the view from my balcony was tremendous, the whole place was beautiful.....and QUIET! It's not the party place I enjoyed in my twenties, and I was fine with it.

When we checked in we immediately went to the Walmart and Sam's Club a short taxi ride away and shopped for our groceries (breakfast\lunch foods and snacks) for the week, I think we went out to dinner most nights. We also purchased a small styrofoam ice chest to load our beer/drinks in to take pool/beach side.

We did have some issues with the freezer not being cold enough (melted ice-cream) and some light's going out. We called the front desk and maintenance came to fix the lighting issue immediately, they did what they could with the fridge...but short of replacing it there wasn't much to be done.

I also want to mention I really felt safe there, as you entered and exited the hotel grounds you had to check in and state what room you were in with the guard at the gate. So you know there weren't people there that shouldn't be there.

The Estancia is between two sister resorts, Villa Del Palmar and Villa los Arcos, staying at Palmar allows you to enjoy the grounds and facilities at the other two resorts, but Estancia is exclusive to those that are staying there. The guests of the other two resorts can not enter Estancia property.

Overall service, cleanliness, staff friendliness etc. was great.

I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

Spent a week at the Estancia and had a wonderful time from start to finish. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, staff are wonderful and pleasant from the time we got there to the time we left. My mum got sick from sun stroke and they did an excellent job in treating her at the Dr office. My only advise I could say is not to go full out on the all inclusive! We went into Cabo for the first 4 nights and then did the all inclusive for the last 3, best way to go I think. Get to see a little more Mexican culture that way! Pool side was also lovely, waiters to cater all your needs!! I would like to go back and enjoy this place.

• Stayed October 2012
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Well.... I am the first one to admit that being here mostly the exception will probably discredit my review. I always said the majority is always right and the minority wrong. So with such a good rating on Tripadvisor (ranked #7), I am for sure going against the grain.

Okay, so my 2 cents.... maybe it is because I used to be so incredibly pleased by the other hotel I usually stayed at while in Cabo (Casa Dorada), this one fell a bit short of my expectations.... first and foremost, I might be married with two kids, but that does not mean I am dead. This place felt more like a retirement home than anything else. It was so quiet that I just kept on telling my kids not to shout and run around in fear of disrupting the complete silence in the property. Everything closes at 10.30 pm. If you like to go out for a drink or a bite to eat after that time, you will have to take a cab downtown.

The property is so HUGE and such on a deep lot, that if you are unlucky enough like me to get a villa towards the inside, you will never see/hear the ocean while inside. Frankly I could have been anywhere else inland it would have felt just the same.

The reviews are correct about how big the villas are. We had a 2 bedrooms and it was probably bigger than my own house. That being said I would have rather have 1/2 of the size and have something a bit more modern.... the furniture felt like something you would find in a museum. The TVs were all tube TVs with small screen. I did not even think those existed anymore. And wait.... no DVD player but good old VHS tape..... No I am not going to Cabo to watch movies on the TV, however if you have kids that like to watch a bit of a cartoon before goign to bed, that will be an issue.

Also super disapointed with our booking agency. They first promised us a certain villa which we especially chose based on some criteria for our kids (proximity to the pool... etc). And after being promised a certain unit (and booking non-refundable flights....), we were told they doubled book and assigned us a unit all the way inside the property, right next to the lobby (always pleasant to wake up with people shouting for a cab) and I do not believe the sun made it's way to us more than 5 mns a day.....

Also everybody saying it's a quick walk to town.... yes for adults.... no if you have kids... to end on a more positive note, the pool at the property next door had a super fun slide which is great for children

Again, probably should not listen to me and just read all the other great reviews. Maybe I was just unlucky this time. But definitely will not go back to this property and never use again this booking agency....

Room Tip: Don't take a unit all the way on the inside. Super deep lot. You will not feel like you are stay...