“Outstanding” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Av Solmar No 1 - A | Col Centro, Cabo San Lucas 23450, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Tripadvisor Deal
Ranked #3 of 66 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

So many good things to say. The location is incredible, although you can't get in the ocean the infinity edge pools make you feel like you are right there. The crashing of the waves was so relaxing for me. The facility is immaculate, everything is well taken care of and the staff is friendly and helpful, most knew our name after the first day. Our room was fantastic, 5th floor facing south, away from the construction. We had the couples massage in the beach huts, best massage I have ever had, we did get some construction noise during the massage, but not enough to cause issues. The food was very good, we did the all inclusive for a number of days and found that to be a good value for us.

Overall our stay there was outstanding, even with the construction going on, they did their best to minimize the impact.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Jean_Louis_Magron, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Innovate in all aspects of high end service is our daily commitment as your vacation experience should always be impeccable and memorable.
I hope you had a pleasant journey.
With best personal regards,

1,037 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
Ada, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Our trip to this resort was a pleasant surprise. We brought friends with us, telling them they would be our lock off. To our surprise, both rooms were very spacious. We did have a great time at the pools, met wonderful people and would come here again. Maybe when the construction is over. It never bothered us, it was just an inconvienice. The staff was excellant. I want to thank Meny, Sammy, Artoro,Daniel, Joelm Aluno,Oeson and Felix for all your help and making our stay very pleasant. Thank you

Room Tip: make sure you get a room without a wall on the balcony. You will not beable to see if you sit in th...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Jean_Louis_Magron, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
We are delighted to read your great review post your stay with us also it gives us great pleasure to know that we could fulfill your vacation expectations.
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We recently stayed a week at the Grand Solmar Lands End and the place as mentioned in other reviews is really beautiful. The staff is fabulous, the location cannot be beat and the accommodation are amazing. This should be a 5 start rating and it would be if it were not for some major issues, but first the really positive things about the resort.

1. The rooms are really beautiful, well-appointed and spotless. They have an amazing view of the ocean and cannot be beat.
2. The staff, with the exception of upper management ( will get to that in a bit) everyone we dealt with from check in, to the wait staff, to housekeeping were outstanding. I have to mention Raymundo at the Adult's only pool, who took care of us each day and was outstanding. Also Humberto at the front desk who helped us with our room issues and helped facilitate a move to another room. Also the managers on duty who helped with the room issue and were there to listed to problems as they occurred during out trip.
3. The food...so good. We hardly left the resort. We had lunch every day and a number of dinners. The restaurant was wonderful. They have daily specials and theme nights and great standard menu. I had one of the best filets ever and the seafood was amazing. We also had room service a number of times, which was quick, reasonable and excellent.
4. Location - it so beautiful and peaceful. There is also a great breeze, that makes it much cooler than when you just walk outside the resort. It is also a short walk to the marina for other spots to explore in town.

The Ugly:

Now for the bad part...
The construction...it is out of control. We went there knowing there was construction and had no issue with that. We understand that things need to be built and thought it would be perhaps 7:00 - 7:00 or 8:00 - 8:00. It was actually nonstop..some mornings starting at 4:00 am. My husband called at 4:00 am and even went to the lobby at 4:00 am to complain that men were working outside out door at 4:00 AM. He was told there was nothing management could do. It also started at 5:30 on another morning we were there. It was on going until 9:00, 10:00, even almost 11:00 at night. The construction project is running the resort. The onsite management has no authority to tell them to stop, and the only response was that the complaints would be conveyed to the board of directors for review. That really does not help with my weeks’ vacation that was greatly impacted. Like most people, we get a few weeks a year to get away, and being part of a 24 hour construction site was not my idea of a restful vacation. Upper management who seem not to be onsite or don’t interact with guest if they are present, seem to have no issue with this happening all day and night and do not care. They leave their onsite management staff on duty to take the brunt of the complaints and you almost feel sorry for these people as they are stuck in the middle and cannot do anything about it.

Also...the resort did not seem to be full in anyway while we were there, but trying to move away from the construction is like pulling teeth. If you are in certain buildings, you are not affected at all. We were first in building 6, which looks right out from your balcony to the construction. It was like have a view of ground zero, along with a huge crane overhead...with a glimpse of the ocean in the background. We were able to move to building 2 after a day, which was much appreciated, as it was right on the ocean and had a great view off the balcony. BUT...the construction was then right out the front door...in fact there was a tarp in the hall right in front of our door as the construction was on the other side of a sheet. The noise of jack hammers, generators, men yelling as I have mentioned almost 24 hours a day made it really hard to enjoy time in our beautiful room. There needs to be an effort to use the buildings away from the construction if they are not full, but they do not want to use these rooms as they may be an upgrade? I am not sure if this is the reason but a they need to worry about their current guest, and not hold rooms for those who may come.

Also as an FYI...in most of the buildings if you are on the 3rd floor...there is a solid wall that does not allow you to see the view while sitting on your balcony. The ones higher up have a medal rail you can see through. We did get around this by bringing the bar stools from inside the unit outside and this gave enough height to sit and see the view.

The Units were really nice...a couple of things that I think were over looked though. There is no DVD plaer.. This was a surprise, as most units like this would have that so you couple bring your own movies to watch, but no...not included.
Also there are no washer and dryers in the units or dishwashers. Not a big deal but the units are so large and well thought out, it seems that this could have been included.

The Unusual:
I know it is referred to has a cash free resort and I thought this was a reference to not needing to carry case around during your stay. That you can sign for food and drinks to charge them to your room...but they mean they do not except cash at all, even when you check out. I had exchanged a good deal of money for my trip and was going to put the money that I had left toward my bill in cash, but no...they do not take ANY CASH. I had to re exchange my money back to US dollars at the airport and take a loss on the exchange...do not make this mistake. Again, just seems really strange to me. I have never in all my travels around Mexico or anywhere else in the world, stayed at a hotel that would not take any cash to settle a bill.

A quick not on the time share issue that others have been bothered with. This was not a problem for us. When we checked in, we were brought to the desk being told this was a welcome but really all they tried to do was invite us to the “ welcome breakfast” which is the time share presentation…we declined as I was there on an exchange, own 2 time shares and was not interested in another one. I was not bothered really on this the rest of the trip. I was also given information about the all-inclusive option, but did not do that either for my stay.

Over all...again, the place is really lovely...would I think about coming back after the construction is completed, probably..but not until then as they seem to have little control on it currently and how it impacts their present guests.

Room Tip: fight to be as far away from the constuction as possible...ask nicely and they will try and move you...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jean_Louis_Magron, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Our staff is very happy to read that their service is so well appreciated by you and family.
It is true that once construction next door is over this will be a better place.
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Spent second day at the pool enjoying our time talking with other guest's and having beers and margaritas. Late in the afternoon the waiter brought a bill and folded it over as he approached me, I signed the bill then noticed the amount was wrong and told him. He pointed to some loungers behind him and asked" if i was with the people that had been there?". I told him no and to bring me a corrected bill. We stayed a while in the pool talking with other guests and left. I realized later that night that I had never recieved the corrected bill,and thought it would be easy too get corrected at the front desk since we had not ordered any of the (9) xx lagers all day at the pool that were on the last bill. Busy with activities the next few days ,I finally had a chance too talk with the front desk and a manager who listened but would not give me any satisfaction on correcting the bill. The waiters name is "Jose Amando" no tips for him next trip! OUT $50.

Room Tip: B AND E building's are close too the construction monday through friday 7:30-6:30, hammering and...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We apologize for the created confusion. Rest assure we’ll change your perception for good on your next visit.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Service was top notch. Peaceful and relaxing. Room service was prompt. Construction still in progress but was not a distraction.

Easy walk to the marina and downtown. Taxi available if feeling lazy.

I'll be back next year.

• Stayed April 2013
Jean_Louis_Magron, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
It is very rewarding to read that our cordial staff was the highlight of your stay.
I hope that you had a pleasant return journey.
Warmest regards,
Ventura, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We enjoyed our vacation at the Grand Solmar. The property and rooms are wonderful. Everything is new (2 years old) and well kept. The staff is wonderful, especially Luis at LaRocha restaurant who made us always feel welcome, relaxed and he was very personable. We also struck up a relationship with Eban, who has a wealth of knowledge on tequila. The one disappointment was that the property had massive construction going on from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm. There was a huge crane right next to our room and you could hear drilling, saws, men talking and all the other construction related noise. My husband & I came to experience a relaxing week from very busy, stressful lives, however, we could not stay in our room during the day or open our door to the ocean to listen to the waves, due to the ever present construction noise. I would have appreciated if the hotel would have been honest with us about the construction and given us a choice of staying there or not. When I asked the manager to please move our room away from the construction site, he just stared at me and said he could not help. No understanding, apologizes or anything acknowledging our situation. For this reason, I would not choose to stay here again and I will always ask about construction in future hotel reservations that I make.

Room Tip: Ask if there is construction on the premisis.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Jean_Louis_Magron, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
I am delighted to read our staff was the highlight of your stay.
We hope you had a safe return journey.
Warmest regards,
Walnut Creek, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We recently took a large group to the Grand Solmar for a sales incentive program. I can tell you absolutely that this property had never had a large group before. They definitely stepped up there service once we got on property, but setting up the events and booking rooms as very difficult. It is gorgeous, and since each rooms have kitchens I could see why the restaurants were so empty most the time. The problem was that our group had meal bracelets to use for all 3 days we stayed, and although the servers (Luis was amazing) did everything they could to accomodate any special need, it was soooooo slow. Like 2 hour lunches slow. All the guests complained about it. Needless to say they all loved their rooms and the gorgeous property, but felt the service in the restaurants was sub par. They do really have a friendly staff that is ready to please, so overall I would recommend the property to couples or families, but not for a large group.

Room Tip: There is major construction happening. Ask to be as far left or right on the property as possible!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jean_Louis_Magron, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. Rest assure we’ll change your perception for good on your next visit.
Jean Louis

Been to Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!