“Only Getting Better” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Av Solmar No 1 - A | Col Centro, Cabo San Lucas 23450, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Tripadvisor Deal
Ranked #3 of 66 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Sacramento, California
“Only Getting Better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We just returned after a week at Grand Solmar. After reading several of the most recent reviews I must concur with their comments. So instead I will "review" a few other areas that may add/subtract from you decision to visit this outstanding resort.
As always the service was superlative. There are too many names to mention them all but kudos in particular to Reuben, Alana, Fredy, Alanso, Sergio, Guillermo, Victor's x 2, Erica and the chefs at El Roca. Smiles and helpfulness all around!
Now to some items not recently addressed:
1) The Pacific Ocean: On this beautiful private beach, it is red flagged. They have staff who will "red flag" you if you go into the ocean and will follow you back into the resort to find you and have you sign a liability waiver. So if ocean swimming or playing in the waves is your thing, be warned. I do love the infinity pools, I'm ADHD but a respectful swimmer user of the ocean, however, I saw the ocean as a challenge. But that's another story...
2) Family resort vs couple's/adult resort: Grand Solmar is really geared for the older, quieter, reading, relaxing, drinking, conversational guest. Don't get me wrong, kids there didn't have any trouble finding fun things to do, but if playful splashing & noise disturb you, just move over to the adult infinity pool and spa area. VERY quiet. If I still had children under 21 I would opt to use and/or stay at another nearby resort in the Solmar group, Playa Grande. FYI...it's close and it's services are available to Grand Solmar guests, AND the restaurants are included in the Solmar meal plans as well. There are activities galore planned day and evening for adults and kids alike. It's a great alternative...
3) Wi-Fi: I tried to use my HD Kindle and had no success. Hard wired in the rooms seemed to be the best way from what I could tell. Poolside it was sketchy at best. Staff however was great, not charging me for internet use when I needed to get my airline boarding passes.
4) Lobby/Gym/Amphitheater: The full scale plan is not yet completed which is why Playa Grande is still your terrific alternative. I LOVE the Play's lobby, gym, mini-golf and tennis! (That's why you want to get over there whether staying at Grand Solmar or not!) When Grand Solmar is finally completed in 2014, as previous reviewers have stated, it will be remarkable. I have been assured that the lobby/gym, etc. will rival that of Playa! And the Amphitheater, if done right, will be beautiful and should attract world class acts.
And just to let you know I'm not talking out of the side of my neck...I am an owner but I am in no way have any affiliated to the resort. (I wish I was! I need a job...)
Anyway, I have stayed at both Playa Grande (loved it) and Grand Solmar (loved it even more). I could not afford to buy three years ago but I'm glad I did. I have not yet met an unhappy owner. Grand Solmar has so far kept all its promises! I have a Junior Suite but hope to someday upgrade.
I'll be staying at the Playa and/or the Grand Solmar again before the Grand Opening which is slated for 2014. I CAN"T WAIT! It's only getting better (and more expensive...)

Room Tip: Not a bad room in the place. Personally, the higher the better, for the view...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Jean_Louis_Magron, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
It is so rewarding to read you had such an incredible time with us.
Please let me tell you that we will do our outmost to always accommodate all of your needs.
Warmest regards,
Jean Louis and team

1,070 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My fiance purchased a 2 wks/year timeshare at Grand Solmar several years ago so he has his long-established patterns there. He brought me to Grand Solmar for the first time in early December 2011. I had never had a positive impression of what a timeshare resort would be like - how wrong I was!

I was amazed by how beautifully finished and complete the complex was, how lovely the setting and the pools were, and the generally high quality of Grand Solmar overall. Because it was my first time, I didn't try many of the amenities - but I hope to this year, including the fitness centre, the restaurant and the spa - oh, a massage !

This year we arrive for my birthday, so I hope to enjoy some special treats to myself....

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Jean_Louis_Magron, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you once again for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor and thereby giving us the opportunity to constantly enhance our service quality.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Pros - the natural beauty of Lands End is breathtaking. A secluded beach with rock formations jetting above and sugar sand to walk on next to the crashing pacific waves makes you feel a million miles away from not only back-home city life, but even the fun-but-craziness 5 minutes away in downtown Cabo. You will appreciate it even more after spending 5 minutes on the spring-break-like Medano beach. We enjoyed the releasing of the baby turtles into the sea, saw sea lions in the sun, snorkeled with a good variety of tropical fish and even saw a few whales ahead of the traditional season. Sun rises to the left of the property and sets to the right .. spectacular sights to see. The people were wonderful as well. Warm, helpful, professional and well spoken. Cannot say enough about the service with a smile, as rarely do you find staff that are like friends by the end of your trip. Particular thank you's to Omar at the Brisas pool/bar and Reuben at the Concierge desk. Omar is the hardest working guy there, always with a smile and a quick story, and definitely the shortest delivery time. Reuben can help with any arrangements or suggestions you need, and is always a pleasant hello and conversation in the lobby. The hotel has the location and people to make it a top choice in the future.

A note on the historical timeshare comments: We were told upon check in about the when/hows and then one other time when organizing something with the front desk asked if we had been or would like to go. But it was not an issue at all and seems as though the complaints from months back have been heard and successfully addressed since then.

Cons - the resort will truly be special once completed, but there are potential issues lurking in the present state. First, we lost water 4 times in the two weeks we were there. Nothing worse than coming back from a long day at the pool, sticky with sunscreen to get ready for dinner only to find no water to shower and with no ETA. Happened twice. The other two times were later at night, but again not being able to brush your teeth before bed is not something that guests will tolerate if the hotel intends to be top class. The television connection is also problematic. The channels freeze quite often, and cut-out too. Not that you should be watching much tv in such a wonderful place, but if you do find yourself staying in one afternoon or evening, the constant problems can become very annoying. Also, I find it curious as to why the hotel would have 80% of it's rooms completed, but choose to build more rooms before completing the spa and gym. Again, not an issue once all is done, but for now, to be a flagship property that is self-competing with Palmilla, Capella and Hacienda BC, having to take a shuttle to use the gym or get a spa treatment (aside from the available massages in the outdoor huts which were lovely) is a very strange choice by the project managers.

Unique to building 6 - as many other write ups have indicated, building 6 is right next to the construction, try to avoid it all costs !! We were unable to at check-in or upon additional requests and it definitely was a downer. The construction doesn't start at 8AM and end at 6PM as stated. They started in the morning by 7AM, and worked until 8PM, and it's 6 days a week. Saturday is no different here! The good news is that the glass sliders are pretty good at muting, but not eliminating, construction noise. But with that view, and the symphony of ocean waves outside your balcony, who wants to have the doors closed ! If you are a timeshare owner, or lucky enough as a hotel guest to get one of the other buildings, the construction will basically be a non-issue for you.

I feel badly writing the negatives with the knowledge that the management is going to feel the need to respond. I cannot say enough how this is no fault of the employees or management, they were all truly wonderful !!!! It's just a fair review of what I would call a soft-opening and hotel guests should be expecting until the property is fully completed.

Room Tip: If you can, avoid building 6. It's right next to the construction, which goes from 7 AM to at 8...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Your invaluable feedback is important to ensure that we continually deliver the ultimate experience Grand Solmar is renowned for and exceed your expectations for future visits.
ALTA LOMA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My wife and I have been coming down to Cabo since 2007. We first visited on a cruise ship and the following year stayed in the original small solmar bungalows and fell in love with the resort. We then were talked into buying into Playa Grande time share. That was Ok , but when they showed us the yet to be built Grand Solmar we were hooked. Last year was our first year at the new resort and it was fantastic. This year we wanted two weeks and spent the first week at PG. We put up with a first floor room with no ocean view and plenty of noise from the party people. We waited for our second week at Grand Solmar and was it worth it - a different world. It was like a paridise. We got sucked into a presentation and paid for an upgrade to stay next year at GS for two weeks with no garantee as to where we will be placed . I have to say there is a difference between the sales people and the people who actually schedule your rooms. We especially appreciate Erica in the sales office who was the first person to tell us the truth about how it works. We are happy and can't wait for next year, Grand Solmar is the best resort with the best people. Love it.

Room Tip: If you want to see the sunset, pick the right building and the highest floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jean_Louis_Magron, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
We appreciate all of your wonderful comments, and yes, we do care about you at Grand Solmar.
Kelso, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is the newest resort in Cabo. On the beach on the Pacific Side with awesome views of the Sunrise and Sunset. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Great place for a romantic trip and or a family vacation. Their is an Adult only area for those that wish that seperation.

Room Tip: All rooms have an excellent view. We have a Time Share in the B Building that is the closest to the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Jean_Louis_Magron, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
We are delighted that we made your stay memorable.
All of us eagerly look forward to your next visit.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I were gifted an Interval International week timeshare from his grandparents to use for our honeymoon and we were so excited when we were able to get the Grand Solmar. The resort is brand new and absolutely gorgeous. Our room was on the ground floor, which I initially was unhappy about, but it ended up being great since we had direct access to the pools out our door. We had a "studio" room which was very spacious and we really loved the large bathroom with double sinks, large shower, and soaking tub. We also enjoyed having the kitchen--we used Where in Cabo for grocery delivery and enjoyed having our own alcohol and snacks throughout the stay. The greatest asset to the resort for us was is proximity to the city. We could easily walk from the resort to shops and restaurants and even felt very safe walking back after dark.

The pools were all immaculate and the infinity view was unbeatable. We enjoyed the specialty margaritas and mojitos--especially the cucumber one with the spicy salt rim. The snack foods were much better than the actual entrees in my opinion, but in general the food was very good. We dide 3 days of the all-inclusive plan, but ended up regretting it—the food quality of nice restaurants in town far surpassed Solmar’s and at a similar price. We enjoyed a massage at the spa on the beachfront tiki huts which was my absolute favorite part of the trip. The beach is essentially unusable due to the strong currents and waves, but if you walk down to the edge of the property where the large rock wall is you can climb a path there which deposits you onto Divorce Beach and you can walk through that to get to Lovers Beach. It was a fun little adventure, but if you do it make sure to wear proper shoes! All in all we really enjoyed our stay at Grand Solmar, it was the perfect luxurious, relaxing stay we had hoped for.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
All of us enjoyed very much your Honeymoon vacation at Grand Solmar.
We'll be ready next year for your anniversary celebration with us again, and be ready for some nice surprises for both of you.
Cordially,
Chandler, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Solmar at the end of September, beginning of October for his 30th birthday. I had read many, many reviews on the hotels in Cabo and originally really wanted to stay on the Medano Beach side, but was swayed by the negative timeshare reviews of other properties and the amazing reviews of Grand Solmar. And every good review was true! The hotel and staff was beyond our expectations and really went the extra mile to make my husband's birthday special. I did not request any special perks for his birthday, but put a note in the reservation that we would be there to celebrate. When we got up to our room, they had a bottle of wine, cookies and a small sign that said happy birthday. It was so nice! And then, the next morning when we awoke to look out our balcony, they had written happy birthday to him in the sand just below our room. It was really a special treat and shows the level of service they provide at this hotel.

Beyond that, the views, the property, the beach are all stunning! Staying on the Pacific Ocean side of Cabo versus the Medano Beach side actually worked out to be even better. Watching and listening to the waves crash against the beach from one of the four infiniti-edge pools could not be beat. There is plenty of seating and servers at each of the pools so we never had a problem finding a spot any time of day and it was so relaxing! We also walked down to the mountain the hotel is built into a couple times because it is just so unique to look at.

The location of the hotel is also perfect. It's just a short walk down the mountain to the marina where a majority of the restaurants and shops are located. It was still a little hot while we were there, so we took a cab a couple times which is a standard rate, I think it was $5. We also went to the Medano Beach bars a couple times for a little action and I believe it was a $10 cab ride.

For dining options, we had a great breakfast at the hotel every morning that was actually very reasonably priced. The hotel also has happy hour at the beach bar every evening that we took advantage of. Lunch on Medano Beach was nice if you want to be in a little more of the action for a couple hours and then head back to your peaceful hotel. We ate at Mango Deck both days, the food was good Mexican food and it's happy hour all day long, which you can't beat. One night we had nice dinner at Esquina down by Medano Beach, which was amazing! They have the cutest patio with overgrown vines and really delicious food. We also had dinner at the Baja Brewery at the Marina one night, they had a great singer on the patio and the food was pretty good, but its a casual place with bar food.

Not only were we down there for my husband's 30th birthday, but also to get our scuba diving certification. We went through Manta Scuba and did the two-day open water dives. I must say, this is a class act dive shop. I would highly recommend them! (I'll provide a full seperate review on their site)

In closing, I would highly recommend this property when staying in Cabo. It was by far one of the nicest hotels we've ever stayed at and we will for sure be back to stay here again! Can't wait!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Jean_Louis_Magron, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Our endeavor is to ensure you have an incredible vacation with us. It was fun indulging your husband due to his birthday.
Jean Louis

Been to Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!