We just returned after a week at Grand Solmar. After reading several of the most recent reviews I must concur with their comments. So instead I will "review" a few other areas that may add/subtract from you decision to visit this outstanding resort.
As always the service was superlative. There are too many names to mention them all but kudos in particular to Reuben, Alana, Fredy, Alanso, Sergio, Guillermo, Victor's x 2, Erica and the chefs at El Roca. Smiles and helpfulness all around!
Now to some items not recently addressed:
1) The Pacific Ocean: On this beautiful private beach, it is red flagged. They have staff who will "red flag" you if you go into the ocean and will follow you back into the resort to find you and have you sign a liability waiver. So if ocean swimming or playing in the waves is your thing, be warned. I do love the infinity pools, I'm ADHD but a respectful swimmer user of the ocean, however, I saw the ocean as a challenge. But that's another story...
2) Family resort vs couple's/adult resort: Grand Solmar is really geared for the older, quieter, reading, relaxing, drinking, conversational guest. Don't get me wrong, kids there didn't have any trouble finding fun things to do, but if playful splashing & noise disturb you, just move over to the adult infinity pool and spa area. VERY quiet. If I still had children under 21 I would opt to use and/or stay at another nearby resort in the Solmar group, Playa Grande. FYI...it's close and it's services are available to Grand Solmar guests, AND the restaurants are included in the Solmar meal plans as well. There are activities galore planned day and evening for adults and kids alike. It's a great alternative...
3) Wi-Fi: I tried to use my HD Kindle and had no success. Hard wired in the rooms seemed to be the best way from what I could tell. Poolside it was sketchy at best. Staff however was great, not charging me for internet use when I needed to get my airline boarding passes.
4) Lobby/Gym/Amphitheater: The full scale plan is not yet completed which is why Playa Grande is still your terrific alternative. I LOVE the Play's lobby, gym, mini-golf and tennis! (That's why you want to get over there whether staying at Grand Solmar or not!) When Grand Solmar is finally completed in 2014, as previous reviewers have stated, it will be remarkable. I have been assured that the lobby/gym, etc. will rival that of Playa! And the Amphitheater, if done right, will be beautiful and should attract world class acts.
And just to let you know I'm not talking out of the side of my neck...I am an owner but I am in no way have any affiliated to the resort. (I wish I was! I need a job...)
Anyway, I have stayed at both Playa Grande (loved it) and Grand Solmar (loved it even more). I could not afford to buy three years ago but I'm glad I did. I have not yet met an unhappy owner. Grand Solmar has so far kept all its promises! I have a Junior Suite but hope to someday upgrade.
I'll be staying at the Playa and/or the Grand Solmar again before the Grand Opening which is slated for 2014. I CAN"T WAIT! It's only getting better (and more expensive...)
- Also Known As:
- Grand Solmar Land`s End Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Grand Solmar Land`s End Resort And Spa
- Grand Solmar Land`s End Hotel
- Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa Cabo San Lucas, Los Cabos
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Solmar sets a new standard of luxury in Cabo San Lucas with landscaping reminiscent of royal gardens, old world architecture carefully crafted with modern style and grace and a setting you thought only existed in photographs, the Grand Solmar is unique in a very exclusive class. Thoughtfulness and thoroughness are the trademarks of this grand resort. The award-winning design combines the grace of old world architecture with carefully crafted modern style. And the location will leave you speechless. A natural cliff forms the backdrop and guides guests to the lobby complete with a spectacular view of the mighty Pacific Ocean. From here, you can see pelicans soaring over golden sands and sailboats scooting across blue waves. Just feet away is the very tip of the Baja Peninsula in all its sun-drenched glory. The same breathtaking view is available from every room. Grand Solmar offers six categories of luxury suites each featuring a long list of deluxe amenities: full kitchen with marble counters and stainless steel appliances, multiple flat screen satellite televisions, I-Home, separate sitting area, in-room safe, luxury bathrooms with steam shower, wireless and corded Internet access, in-villa dining and spa services, and private terraces. Outside your suite, you’ll find four infinity-edge pools with swim-up bars and white-canvassed cabanas complete with poolside massages. There’s also a seasoned staff who wait, hands folded, for the next opportunity to serve. For dining, the Grand Solmar offers a first-rate restaurant as well as three unique cafes serving a variety of cuisines. La Roca International Restaurant & Bar offers all day service from 7:00 am – 10:00 pm. Here you’ll enjoy Chef signature specialties, along with international dishes and Baja California seafood. The cuisine has to be special. It competes with the incredible view. The Lobby Bar is a warm and comfortable spot for a favorite beverage and snack. For poolside dining, Las Olas Pool Bar and Las Brisas Sushi Bar are the perfect choice for the health conscious. As a guest, you will have access to world-class golf, deep sea fishing, scuba diving, kayaking and just about any other activity you can think of. That includes shopping. Downtown Cabo San Lucas is but a 10-min walk away away and teems with distinctive boutiques and world famous stores. And when the sunsets, you won’t want to miss the nightlife Cabo is famous for. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Amex, EasyToBook, Olotels, Priceline, Agoda, Venere, Tingo, Hotels.com and HotelsClick so you can book your Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.