“I was concerned about the price, even after I booked our stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Bungalows Hotel

You added The Bungalows Hotel to your Saves list
The Bungalows Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Camino Charros, Lienzo Charro, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Click for Lowest Rates!
Ranked #4 of 66 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Arkansas
“I was concerned about the price, even after I booked our stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

Some times things look like such a great deal, or bargain, you can't pass them up ... and The Bungalow's falls into that category. I worried, even after I booked our stay, but after staying here a week, I would not consider anywhere else. I cannot think of a single negative item to point out about the accomodations, service or breakfast. Life is good at The Bungalows.

We stayed in the Honeymoon Suite, even though we have been married for years :-) We could see the cruise ships as they docked and watched the sun come up every morning from our balcony.

I loved the location and did not mind a short taxi ride to the beach. 6 to 8 USD for a taxi anywhere around town. We walked every where but to the beach. OH, they do not have an elevator, so if you have knee problems, stay on the ground flood.

Be sure and find Gordo Lele and do a taco. OMG They are as good as everyone says. Also try seafood (and a Bulldog dring) at Marios Shrimp House, both places are only a few blocks from The Bungalow's. We did an appetizer one evening at Squid Roe. They made the salsa fresh at your table.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Capitola, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

I went to Cabo San Lucas to get away from all of the hub-bub. We both needed to unwind and be catered to rather than always being on the run, excuting every little thing just to make ends meet. I had never been in Cabo San Lucas before and wanted to explore the deserts of Baja California. I decided on the Bungalows because they seemed like a good value compared to the Big-Box-Package deals on the beach I was so used to.
My wife & I were very pleasantly gratified immediately upon our arrival in Cabo when we exited the airport to find a driver & luxury vehicle waiting to pick us up. My wife really appreciated the way we walked right past all of the taxis and clambering service people where we were given a personal tour of the area as we proceeded to the Bungalos about 15 minuets away. We arrived at the bungalows relaxed and hassle-free where we were met by Estela and Eric. Two of the most genuine and attentive persons I have ever had occasion meet. We were immediately disarmed by their honest ability to "listen" and "anticipate" my needs. I felt very safe, cared for, and understood! Immediately, I began to relax. I passed through the courtyard, past the pool to my room, enchanted by the sense of being in a hidden garden-oaisis, removed & protected from the fast pace of the touristic goings-on of the town. The room was simple, yet elegant. And clean! With of the amenities I needed. Clean, and colorful--Exquisitely beset with the local arts & crafts of local artisans lending a feeling of really being in the old pueblo of Cabo San Lucas.

During my stay at the Bungalows, whether I had simple needs, or complex requests for how to function in the town, I found Estela, Erick, & Junior, to be the most genuinely helpful and charming people. I find that my favorite memories were the moments my wife & I spent relaxing at breakfasts, being papered and waited on, hand & foot, and enjoying my conversations with Erick and Estella in a tranquil, safe, and relaxing setting. I found myself wanting to pass the time at the bungalows where everything was provided for me in such a beautiful surrounding rather than venture out in the crowd. While I realize that others would say that the staff was just doing their job, their amiable service in anticipation for my needs went way beyond any thing I have ever experienced on a vacation before. We will be going back at the first opportunity just re experience the oasis of hospitality and beautiful surroundings that made our vacation truly memorable. And this is why I feel so compeled to take time out to write this review...

Sincerely
Rich

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2009

This was our first time to Cabo San Lucas and we had a good time and enjoyed our stay at The Bunglows. The beaches are beautiful here. Get a water taxi at the marina to "Lover's Beach" and go explore the Sea of Cortes and Pacific Ocean beaches. Try to get them to come down on the price. We paid $8 USD each person round trip and got to stay for 2 hours (or however long you want).

*Liked: The breakfast that is included in the stay was WONDERFUL!!!! They should have all the meals available for purchase. I would rather spend money there than at some of the places at the marina. The food was NOT impressive down at the marina or anywhere else in town.

*Liked: FREE Wifi.

*Liked: Little kitchen area. We got a taxi to Wal-Mart and bought sodas, water, snacks and sandwich stuff.

*Liked: Nice rooms and very cozy. Friendly staff. The staff took care of all our arrangements from doing the 4 wheeler tour to ordering a pizza. I don't mind people smoking in the designated smoking area. I would rather they smoke there and not around the pool or my room.

*Disliked: It is "in town", so there is a lot of noise from cars and dogs barking.

*Main disappointment about Cabo (nothing to do with the Bunglows) was the mass amounts and aggressiveness of the sales people. They are everywhere and very aggressive and everybody wants a "tip". We found it very irritating that a guy who hands you a helmet wants a tip and a lady banging on your bathroom stall trying to sell you a shower is ridiculous. At the marina I had a waiter flapping his menu in my face as the breaking point.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Holland, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

I will admit that I had very high expectations going in to this experience, after reading the many rave reviews on this website. However I do not believe I am being unfair in rating The Bungalows "Very Good" rather than "Excellent." My husband and I stayed at The Bungalows for four nights in April. We spent our vacation relaxing by the pool and venturing in to town to shop, go to the beach, and eat out. As far as Cabo goes, it is VERY touristy, not that we didn't expect this but it is definitely the most touristy place we've been in Mexico, out of the 6-7 places we've visited. Back to The Bungalows, though, here are the things we did and did not like about this hotel:

Liked:
* Breakfast--very good, beautiful presentation, different every day
* Ceanliness of the hotel and room--everything is neat and tidy, well-kept
* Location--yes it is not on the water or downtown but it's just a 5-15 min walk away
* Free wireless internet (although they don't give you the password unless you ask)

Disliked:
* Seeing the management entertain friends, smoke, etc.--this seemed unprofessional
* The service in general--we stayed at a Best Western prior to flying to Cabo the service there was better than the service we received at The Bungalows. Don't get me wrong, the staff was pleasant and they helped us when we asked but they definitely did not act as if their top priority was serving us. I am sure it gets tiring for them to always be rolling out the red carpet but sadly they did not do this for us, hence the "Very Good" rating.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

I stayed at The Bungalows in January with my partner and I have to say all the rave reviews are true. This is where you go to experience the real Cabo, and Eric and his wonderfully welcoming family just make the whole experience so enjoyable.

Breakfasts were amazing and they really meant there wasn't much need for lunch - the lovely ladies in the kitchen were also able to accommodate to our gluten free diets (with a bit of help explaining from Eric) - eggs instead of waffles and the like, but still delicious.

Wifi, bottled water, DVDs, books and breakfast are all free which was such a refreshing surprise as most hotels fleece you for these. We stayed in the honeymoon suite which had its own bar which opens out onto the terrace with lovely views across Cabo town out to the ocean. There was no mini bar but a well stocked and well priced mini mart just across the road, where we could by alcohol, juice, snacks and other staples.

The decor of the suite was lovely - simple and tasteful with traditional Mexican artwork and fixtures (I loved the ceramic basins) and the terrace had a pretty fountain and tiny birds would visit in the mornings to drink and bathe in the trickling water.

Eric is able to advise you on the best tours to take and the best restaurants to go to - just let them know Eric from the Bungalows sent you and you get special treatment - he seems to be pretty well respected around town.

This is not the best hotel to go to if what you are looking for is cocktails on the beach in a large generic American resort. Equally so if you have a heart or other mobility problem because it is a ten minute walk down to the marina, and then up quite a hill on the way back. We saw this as an advantage as it meant that we were away from all the touristic overkill and the walk gave us and opportunity to work of some of our taco and margarita debt!

On the whole the stay in Cabo at The Bungalows was one of the most relaxing and enjoyable holidays I have ever had. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Sarasota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2009

The last review was spot on. If you want 5-star with all that goes with it then this is not your place. My wife and I only spent one night here before joining friends at a 5-star time share and honestly, we would be more than happy to spend our time here.

I was greeted by the owner's son with a big hug and "welcome to your home" and then he did the same with my wife. A warm and wonderful surprise. In fact, it felt like a home away from home. Everyone was helpful and willing to share tidbits and information. You will need a to be able to walk up and down hills with irregular walking to get to town and to restaurants, but that was ok with us. Some people would want or need to drive.

Reviews that criticized the breakfast as too many carbs should get over it. The price you are paying more than pays for a breakfast out somewhere. My wife says that this was the best coffee she had the entire trip and I loved the entire breakfast experience. I wouldn't change a thing.

Lastly, the big hotels and timeshares in Cabo seem almost too "American." The staff speaks English too good and even the music is from the USA. There is not much foreign culture in these big places.

TWO thumbs up for "The Bungalows."

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

My girlfriend and I just spent 4 nights (from Feb.20 - Feb.23/09) at the Bungalows and we loved every minute of it!

Now before you read another word, you need to ask yourself - what kind of traveller are you and what kind of vacation are you looking for? I've stayed at 4-5 star all-inclusive resorts and have had a very good time and I will again in the future. If you want a swim-up bar, an ocean view, and just steps to the beach then the Bungalows is not what you're looking for.

But if your diva factor is low, then you will not go wrong with Bungalows! Here's why:

1) We stayed in Suite #4, a Cozy Suite, and it was a well-proportioned, clean room with an exceptionally comfortable bed (my home bed is not this good). They have two ceiling fans which really keep the rooms cool especially when you're sleeping. They give you a big jug of distilled, bottled water that is kept in the mini fridge. You get an unlimited supply, you just have to ask when you run out. You also get a microwave. Good sized shower, but the water pressure wasn't the greatest to be honest. That didn't bother me, but it was a bit of a challenge for my girlfriend, who luckily is a non-diva trooper and she made do fantastically! You also get a TV and DVD player. The office has a wide range of DVDs - just grab one - but the TV didn't have cable or satellite (or I couldn't figure out how to switch to the channels). No matter, I didn't come to watch TV, but I want to post an accurate review.

2) Previous reviewers constantly refer to the Bungalows as an oasis and it really is! Relatively small property, totally enclosed by palms and flowers and it has a very good sized pool with comfy deck chairs all-around. There is a wonderful, relaxed feeling to the place - it is a well-run, tropical B&B!

The breakfasts are great - you will love the banana pancakes sprinkled with crushed walnuts! I rarely am hungry when I wake up, but my girlfriend lives for breakfast and she couldn't get enough of the place or the food! It's not a buffet or a la carte, rather they make one item each morning and that's what you get. We had in order: great waffles, a delicious eggs on some toast covered in some kind of sauce (sorry can't be more specific), the awesome banana/walnut pancakes, and a 'hungry man's' breakfast burrito. You always start with a plate of fresh, tropical fruit, unlimited coffee and fresh tropical juice - usually a banana/berry smoothie or cantaloupe or melon juice - then you get the entree. So all you do is show up between 8 - 10 am, sit down and let the service and the food spoil you. Also my girlfriend is vegetarian and she had no complaints, but I can honestly say that, as a carnivore, I never left the table unsatisfied.

3) The Bungalows are about a 20 minute walk to the nightlife/downtown and the marina (a must visit often!) and ten more minutes to the main beach. This turned out to be a great blessing because you walk through the streets of Cabo, past undiscovered restaurants and Mexican craft stores. For example, a small ice cream store (can't remember the name) on the north side of Lazaro Cardenas street (the main street that you walk to go to the downtown/marina), halfway between the Bungalows and the Puerto Paraiso mall. When was the last time that you had a vanilla ice cream bar, filled with sliced strawberries, and the bar was coated in chocolate and coconut? Or you bought a frozen fruit bar and the strawberry bars had a strawberry stem in it or the watermelon bar had the seeds in it (to me this is a good thing - I know it was made fresh)!

4) I can't say enough of the service/staff at the Bungalows! I believe it is family run and we met Estella and her sons Junior and Eric. No favour, no question, no advice was too little or too big to accommodate. How's this for service? Junior makes reservations for us to do some off-roading in the desert, which starts at 9am the next day. He offers to drive us to the place at 8:45am, right after he drops off his daughter at school! He also wanted to do this free of charge but we insisted on paying him something, which I only think he accepted after I suggested he put the money in his daughter's piggy bank. Bottom line is that the staff at the Bungalows look after your interests!

So if you're a little active and don't mind a 15-20 minute walk to the action, then you cannot go wrong with the Bungalows. The room, grounds, breakfasts, price and especially the service makes the Bungalows a true winner!

Been to The Bungalows Hotel? Share your experiences!