“A Quiet Green Oasis in Cabo San Lucas” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Bungalows Hotel

You added The Bungalows Hotel to your Saves list
The Bungalows Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Camino Charros, Lienzo Charro, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Click for Lowest Rates!
Ranked #4 of 66 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Alexandria, VA
“A Quiet Green Oasis in Cabo San Lucas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

The Bungalows Hotel is a quiet green oasis a ten minute walk away from the center of town. Estela, her sons and staff serve up a variety of wonderful, imaginative breakfasts [a different one all week!] as well as a very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful atmosphere. The rooms are very nicely decorated, clean and comfortable with everything working as it's supposed to. The pool is clean and well maintained although all that green limits sun bathing opportunities. While there's no cable TV The Bungalows has an extensive English and Spanish language DVD collection. There were a variety of guests when we were there from older to younger, couples to families, English to Spanish speaking - a nice mix.

Room Tip: We stayed in the hammock suite for 6 nights and the King Suite one night and preferred the hammock s...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Just 3 blocks from downtown, this charming hotel is an oasis within the property. We stayed in the Hammock Suite for 6 nites; switching to the King Ste for our last nite. Great breakfasts; something different every day we were there. More than enough food. The weather didn't cooperate for us but it was sunny every day with temps in low 70's so no real poolside time. There isn't that much sun in the pool area anyway making it tough to tan. That may be different in the summer months though. The owners are charming, especially Estelle and Eric, her son. Very warm and friendly, very helpful. Only down side, which wasn't bad for us, is that there are only DVDs available on their large, new TVs. However, they had a large DVD library to choose from. There is no cable so no other TV was available. Very comfortable property. Found good restaurants within easy walking distance.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

On arrival we were greeted with a hug, making us feel like we had just been welcomed home. We can not rave enough about the Bungalows, Estela, Erik and staff were so helpful with everything, arranging tours, car hire and recommending the best local restaurants. They also lived up to their reputation when it came to breakfast, each morning we were served a culinary delight! If you're planning on heading to Cabo give the large hotels a miss and stay at the Bungalows, you won't be disappointed.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My wife and I first stayed at the Bungalows in 2007. We loved everything about it. Comfortable rooms, private pool, authentic mexican feel, and above all- the best breakfast EVER! Also, the location is great, only a short walk from downtown shopping and restaurants.

In 2012 we were planning another trip to Cabo. At first we were considering staying at one of the larger, beach front resorts. However, we just couldn't get the breakfast at Bungalows out of our mind. How could we possibly go all the way to Cabo and miss out on that Breakfast? So, we chose to return to the Bungalows. Again, we made the right choice.

I cannot fail to mention the service. This is a family owned place and the two brothers who run it couldn't be nicer. These guys take care of anything you could need. Also, they have the best reccomendations for restaurants if you are looking for anice place to eat.

Room Tip: Every room is great.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sherwood Park, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

First of all I want to make it clear I have not stayed at this accomodation but want to let people know why. My wife and I have travelled a fair bit and I have used Tripadvisor as a reference for at least 5 years now and have been a frequent contributor. I try to be honest and objective in my reviews.
We decided it would be nice to get my 79 year old father-in-law out of this Canadian winter for a bit and he indicated he had never been to Mexico so I turned to Tripadvisor to scout out a place to go.
This hotel in Los Cabos caught my eye because of the many positive reviews and that it was small, private and lush with a garden like setting unlike the masses of humanity at the large hotels and all-inclusives. So I went to its website for more information and viewed the pictures. The two bedroom bungalows interested us but noticed there were no rates on the website so emailed the given address. Next day there was a response from Patricia of "US Reservations". We were looking for 14 nights and she replied with the rates and the applied special of 3 free nights. However there was no information on type of payment accepted, deposit required or cancellation policy, all important things when you are looking at a bill close to $3000 just for accomodations. So emailed again and this time no reply for 2 days. Then a reply saying sorry "I was away from the computer". So in her email she explained that one nights deposit was required to hold the reservation and the cancellation policy was that if cancelled within 3 weeks of the stay, the amount would be given as credit towards a future stay. They would take credit card for the reservation and we could use Paypal or send the credit card number broken up in two emails. (That was a new one to me) So she said one night was $217 + 14% tax for a total deposit of $494.76. So I am like Huh????? Where did the $497 come from? So I emailed her back to inquire about that.
That was 6 days ago and I still haven't received a reply back. Needless to say, we changed our minds about reserving this place.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We booked this hotel/inn after reading several TripAdvisor reviews. We stayed here for a total of 9 nights (<< although, we were in Cabo for 10. They didn't have our last night open.)

OVERALL: We loved it. Immediately upon entrance, we were greeted with a hug by the famous (manager/owner) Eric I kept reading about. He gave us some fruit smoothies and showed us our room. We stayed in the Bungalow suite, which I highly recommend. Apparently, we forgot to mention our toddler because they typically don't give the second floor (w/ stairs) to young kids but we were totally fine with it since our son is a stair master. Unlike the bottom floor bungalow suite, which is enclosed (aside from the patio area) our hangout area with hammock was outside and the two bedrooms were on the inside. The only downside about this was the mosquitos at night, however, Eric gave our family his kid's mosquito repellent for our entire stay which I thought was extremely generous. (SIDENOTE: No matter where you stay in Cabo, bring mosquito repellent.)

SUITE/ ROOM: The bed was very comfy, especially since I read a lot of reviews that said their hotel beds were hard and lumpy. There is some dogs barking from surrounding neighborhoods so I recommend bringing a noisemaker or download a sleep app. The whole suite had it's own character and lots of local Mexican flavor. Ceramic bowls, handmade soaps and lots of beautiful tile was to be found in our suite. The hotel pool is kept extremely warm, which was perfect for night swimming. Eric has a huge collection of movies you can borrow to watch in your hotel room (no cable tv) and he will even pop you some popcorn. If you need a taxi or delivery/takeout, he will also call it in for you. The hotel cleaning staff always did a great job of cleaning our room (be warned, other hotels have reports of items being stolen but we never worried about that here!) It is common courtesy to tip your cleaners no matter where you stay in Cabo but we had no problem doing so because our room was always spotless. Also, the wi-fi was spotty at first but after a day we finally connected.

LOCATION: There is a gas station just a block away from the hotel if you need anything at all. The walk from the hotel to the downtown area is about 10 minutes and there are two routes you can take. One is up/down a hill which can get tiring but we got used to it immediately. The other route appears to be in a sketchier area but after we walked it a few times we realized there was really nothing sketchy about it at all...just some narrow roads and sidewalks that literally disappear.

FAMILIES WITH KIDS: We have a two year old and he did wonderful here. Everything is concrete, brick or stone so they do have to be careful when running around but as I mentioned, just be sure to request a lower level floor for the little ones.

THIS HOTEL IS FOR YOU IF:
- you want a cozy, home-like atmosphere
-you want to see some local-life outside of the tourist area
-you want delicious breakfasts made for you every morning
-you want to break away from the typical tourist experience
-you want great service and want to be taken care of.
-you don't mind walking a bit to the downtown area (this may be an issue for handi-capped or elderly unless you take a taxi every single time.)

Let me just add that at our last night, we stayed at an all inclusive resort because as I mentioned, the Bungalows didn't have any availability for us (which we knew beforehand.) The staff at the other hotel was not friendly at all, the food was ok, the pool was cold and we were just regular Joe's. At the Bungalows, you are treated like family and if I'm ever in Cabo again, I will be sure to stay there again.

Ok, one more thing...my husband bought a fishing pole and needed a case for it. We asked eric if he could direct us to the nearest store with PVC pipe. The next day, he brought my husband a pvc pipe case he made himself and gave it to us as a gift. If this doesn't show you the generous hospitality, then I don't know what does!

Room Tip: Get the bungalow's suite! It was such a unique experience for us and was not your typical hotel...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed in 2BR Garden Bungalow with scuba dive buddy for a few days prior to boarding yacht. I agree with all the nice things said in the reviews. I would stay here again, and soon! Strong fast in room WiFi signal, bottle drinking water supplied, 1 block to Oxxo convenience store (food, beer, ice cream). No meat in the delicious breakfast (this is not a criticism, rather an alert). Excellent overall value.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Bungalows Hotel? Share your experiences!