“Above and Beyond Service!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Bungalows Hotel

You added The Bungalows Hotel to your Saves list
The Bungalows Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Camino Charros, Lienzo Charro, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Click for Lowest Rates!
Ranked #4 of 65 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
“Above and Beyond Service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We booked this hotel/inn after reading several TripAdvisor reviews. We stayed here for a total of 9 nights (<< although, we were in Cabo for 10. They didn't have our last night open.)

OVERALL: We loved it. Immediately upon entrance, we were greeted with a hug by the famous (manager/owner) Eric I kept reading about. He gave us some fruit smoothies and showed us our room. We stayed in the Bungalow suite, which I highly recommend. Apparently, we forgot to mention our toddler because they typically don't give the second floor (w/ stairs) to young kids but we were totally fine with it since our son is a stair master. Unlike the bottom floor bungalow suite, which is enclosed (aside from the patio area) our hangout area with hammock was outside and the two bedrooms were on the inside. The only downside about this was the mosquitos at night, however, Eric gave our family his kid's mosquito repellent for our entire stay which I thought was extremely generous. (SIDENOTE: No matter where you stay in Cabo, bring mosquito repellent.)

SUITE/ ROOM: The bed was very comfy, especially since I read a lot of reviews that said their hotel beds were hard and lumpy. There is some dogs barking from surrounding neighborhoods so I recommend bringing a noisemaker or download a sleep app. The whole suite had it's own character and lots of local Mexican flavor. Ceramic bowls, handmade soaps and lots of beautiful tile was to be found in our suite. The hotel pool is kept extremely warm, which was perfect for night swimming. Eric has a huge collection of movies you can borrow to watch in your hotel room (no cable tv) and he will even pop you some popcorn. If you need a taxi or delivery/takeout, he will also call it in for you. The hotel cleaning staff always did a great job of cleaning our room (be warned, other hotels have reports of items being stolen but we never worried about that here!) It is common courtesy to tip your cleaners no matter where you stay in Cabo but we had no problem doing so because our room was always spotless. Also, the wi-fi was spotty at first but after a day we finally connected.

LOCATION: There is a gas station just a block away from the hotel if you need anything at all. The walk from the hotel to the downtown area is about 10 minutes and there are two routes you can take. One is up/down a hill which can get tiring but we got used to it immediately. The other route appears to be in a sketchier area but after we walked it a few times we realized there was really nothing sketchy about it at all...just some narrow roads and sidewalks that literally disappear.

FAMILIES WITH KIDS: We have a two year old and he did wonderful here. Everything is concrete, brick or stone so they do have to be careful when running around but as I mentioned, just be sure to request a lower level floor for the little ones.

THIS HOTEL IS FOR YOU IF:
- you want a cozy, home-like atmosphere
-you want to see some local-life outside of the tourist area
-you want delicious breakfasts made for you every morning
-you want to break away from the typical tourist experience
-you want great service and want to be taken care of.
-you don't mind walking a bit to the downtown area (this may be an issue for handi-capped or elderly unless you take a taxi every single time.)

Let me just add that at our last night, we stayed at an all inclusive resort because as I mentioned, the Bungalows didn't have any availability for us (which we knew beforehand.) The staff at the other hotel was not friendly at all, the food was ok, the pool was cold and we were just regular Joe's. At the Bungalows, you are treated like family and if I'm ever in Cabo again, I will be sure to stay there again.

Ok, one more thing...my husband bought a fishing pole and needed a case for it. We asked eric if he could direct us to the nearest store with PVC pipe. The next day, he brought my husband a pvc pipe case he made himself and gave it to us as a gift. If this doesn't show you the generous hospitality, then I don't know what does!

Room Tip: Get the bungalow's suite! It was such a unique experience for us and was not your typical hotel...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed in 2BR Garden Bungalow with scuba dive buddy for a few days prior to boarding yacht. I agree with all the nice things said in the reviews. I would stay here again, and soon! Strong fast in room WiFi signal, bottle drinking water supplied, 1 block to Oxxo convenience store (food, beer, ice cream). No meat in the delicious breakfast (this is not a criticism, rather an alert). Excellent overall value.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
OKC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here because of the positive reviews and we were not disopointed. The staff was amazing. They helped us set up a fishing trip and a car rental. They were spot on recomending restaurants and the breakfast totally loved up to the hype.

Thank you bangalows. We will be back!

• Stayed December 2012
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We booked this hotel based in the Tripadvisor reviews and the experience was really good. First, we've booked the cozy room and when we got there, we got offered a free upgrade to a bungalow as the hotel was not completely occupied (Our stay was from Monday to Thursday).
Rooms were clean, quiet and cozy.
At first, hotel looks a little bit far as you have to walk 2 hills to arrive downtown, but afterwards you realize it is really close to the action and far enough to stay away from all the noise.
Breakfast was delicious! and the staff was absolutely lovely: I was traveling with a small baby and Erick even drove us up and down to downtown for dinner as most of the sidewalks are not really "stroller friendly".
Estela was really friendly and the plus was meeting their lovely dog Adonis :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Prior to planning our trip to Cabo (my wife and another couple) we were trying to decide on a place to stay. We didn't want an all inclusive hotel so this was a great option just from the reviews. We worked with Patricia to get our reservation process started and she was accommodating and answered all of our questions regarding the hotel and setup.

We ended up reserving the 2 bedroom Patio Bungalow for 4 people. Upon arriving in Cabo the transportation we reserved through The Bungalows was standing right outside holding a sign with our name on it. When we arrived at the hotel Estela met us and showed us to our room. We were pretty hungry so we asked for food recommendations and she pointed us to Los Claros (which happened to be one of our favorite restaurants in Cabo). The bungalow was real cozy and the beds were really comfortable We had no problem falling asleep. There were A/C units in the bedrooms and overhead fans in all of the rooms. We also had a mini fridge and microwave. Our rooms were cleaned daily with coffee and fresh water provided in sealed gallon jugs (which really didn't matter as you could ask any of the staff for these and they will get you more if you wanted it). The pool was cleaned every morning and the grounds were well maintained.

Everyone raved about the breakfast in prior reviews and it lived up to the hype. Fresh fruit juices or smoothies every morning, coffee, a fresh fruit plate and a hot meal (alternating sweet and salty daily, though I don't know if that was the intention, but it was also a nice touch).

I was a little worried about the location of the hotel as that was an issue for some of the other reviewers of The Bungalows. We did not find this to be a problem, but rather refreshing (as we did a lot of eating on this trip). It is about a 15 - 20 minute walk to the beach. [Side Note: If you're a first timer like I was, I was looking at the beach on the southern tip of the Baja Peninsula as the closer beach. However you cannot swim at that beach as the current it too strong.] We found that the hotel was actually closer to many the places we ended up going to than many of the other larger hotels. We tended to eat at the restaurants closer to west side of downtown because those were many of the places that were recommended to us by locals. But if we went further we payed no more than $8 total for a ride to the beach, and usually $6 to downtown if we didn't feel like walking.

Estela, Erik and Aletse were always helpful to us. Any of the recommendations they gave us never disappointed us. Aletse told me where their coffee mugs were from, so I walked over there to purchase some. Estela and Erik told us where to eat, Erik drove us to one of his favorite restaurants and hooked us up with a bottle of wine and a meal upgrade. I was talking to our friends even if this was a middle of the road hotel, we would come back for the service ... I guess the plus is not only is the service great but the hotel is awesome too. They treated us as if we were family and watching them interact with other guests was refreshing, because we don't see service like this often.

If you have any questions about my review or anything in general, feel free to pm me.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Is the best place, comfortable rooms, very quiet and they have everyday a delightfully different breakfast!!! Estela and her children are the best !! We where traveling wiht a small child and we always have something special for her! We highly recomment The Bungalows!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
NSW Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I stayed at The Bungalows in May for six nights and it was by far the best accommodation experience I have had in Mexico. Not because it was five star fancy, but because from the minute I walked through the gate into the tropical pool area I found both peace (which I sorely needed) and a new family. After a warm welcome by Erik I was shown to my lovely Cozy Suite upstairs. The decor was perfect. If I built my own little Mexican house it would look a lot like this. Later I was upgraded to a stunning garden bungalow by the pool. Cool and spacious with two separate bedrooms. I would highly recommend both kinds of room. Breakfast was spectacular. Just be aware it is a little walk downtown - and not on the beach, but in a neighbourhood - which I loved. I was on my own and always felt safe walking to and from the hotel. But if it's late, or you're carrying groceries from the supermarket just down the road and don't fancy the walk up the hill, a cab is about $7. The jazz sailing cruise recommended by Erik was superb and I also did a low key private tour to Todos Los Santos with Erik's brother Torito, complete with a surfing lesson along the way. Fantastic fun. Torito is a professional chef. He owns Cabo Chef Services and can whip up an incredible meal if you have a special occasion. He also knows all the best places to eat. I will keep going back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Bungalows Hotel? Share your experiences!