We have just returned from our second trip to the Sirena Del Mar. I can barely put into words the incredible experience we had at this little piece of paradise. We stayed there exactly 1 year ago when it was just opening. Much to our surprise the staff has not changed and the amenities have only improved.
The first improvement – transportation to the resort from the airport. About 10 days before we were scheduled to arrive, the Welk resort contacted me to find out if we would like to arrange transportation. For $18/person each way we were picked up and transported to and from the airport in a luxury SUV. From the moment the plane touched down it was approximately 45 minutes before we were at the resort.
Upon arrival at the hotel we were greeted by the friendly staff. Last year my daughter, (then 2 years old) was given a fish in a bowl to take care of. As we arrived this year, they quickly presented her with a fish in a bowl and explained that they had been waiting for her to return so she could take care of him again. It was little details like this one that were consistent from the beginning to the end of our trip.
We booked a Premier Ocean Front 1 Bedroom Villa. We were on the second floor this year. The room was spotless. One day I watched a staff member spend an hour just cleaning the balcony, in-between guests. They really take pride in keeping this place looking nice. Every morning they would hose off the patios and wipe down the pool chairs. It would be nice to get clean towels a little more frequently than once a week but we just threw a load in our washing machine every other day as we washed other stuff. I will say the kitchen is a bit short on supplies. A baking sheet, kitchen towel and a sharp knife would have been a huge help.
We caught a cab to Walmart the next day to stock up on groceries. They have posted a sign at the entrance to let people know approximately what cab rates should be to various locations. This is a HUGE help because last year the cab rates seemed very inconsistent.
Another improvement was the extended hours at the restaurant on the weekend AND the introduction of Fiesta night on Friday night. We had a blast at the fiesta party and Manny and the servers worked hard to get the people to play along with the party games. I understand that once the new addition is built on the hotel there will be an expansion to the restaurant that will be open more often.
You will not find a better group of staff anywhere . These guys work long hours and always have a smile on their face. Manny is the activities coordinator and he doesn’t stop trying to make sure that everyone, young and old is having the best possible time. From water aerobics to snorkeling to salsa dance to ping-pong to building sandcastles with the kids he encourages everyone have fun. Caesar oversees the food and beverage and has an unbelievable attention to detail. While we were there we celebrated my birthday. My husband had a brief conversation with Caesar about putting together a special lunch for me. Unbeknownst to me, upon the arrival for lunch, we were put at a special table, overlooking the ocean, given a selection from the weekend dinner menu and they baked a special birthday cake complete with diamond ring (thanks to my husband) hidden in the intricately carved strawberry. This whole presentation made for a very memorable birthday.
There were some other reviews that mentioned feeling pressure to do the time-share presentation. We were asked if we wanted to attend and offered free tours and free tickets to the fiesta night but we politely declined and there was no more issue. If I were interested in purchasing a time share, I would certainly not hesitate to look at the Sirena del Mar.
Other tips: Remember your binoculars so you can get a better look at the whales coasting past your balcony every day. Next year, I might bring my own coffee as the selection at Wal-Mart was not great and very expensive. We were advised at the bank to bring Peso’s instead of US dollars but everyone seemed to still want US dollars, especially the cab drivers. The buses into down are a cheap form of transportation and a great way to go on a little adventure. We caught the bus into San Jose one day just for fun. We talked to various people who said renting a car is very expensive and seemed to have a lot of hidden fees. If you are taking cabs, remember to negotiate the cost before you set off.
I could continue to go on about how wonderful our experience was but I will end by saying that I am available to answer questions through email. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxurious secluded 7-acre resort is perched on the cliffs of Cabo San Lucas corridor peninsula, with amazing views of El Arco. Every villa is ocean front. Whale watching Dec 15 - March 15. Sunbathing and swimming at private protected cove beach (no vendors permitted). Resort is ten minute drive to heart of Cabo San Lucas shopping and night life. Guest amenities: two infinity-edge pools and spa, swim-up bar, al fresca body massages, al fresca Las Palapas restaurant and bar, ocean view fitness center, multiple planned activities for all age groups, game room, fire pit and mini-market. 2011 Tripadvisor #2 Romantic hotel/resort in Los Cabos and 2012 Tripadvisor #1 2012 Cabo San Lucas hotel and resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com and Tingo so you can book your Welk Resorts Sirena Del Mar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Welk Resorts Sirena Del Mar Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Welk Resorts Sirena Del Mar Cabo San Lucas, Los Cabos