“Miss this resort every day...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Welk Resorts Sirena Del Mar

Save Saved
You added Welk Resorts Sirena Del Mar to your Saves list
Welk Resorts Sirena Del Mar
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Carretera Transpeninsular Km 4.5 Cabo Bello, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
50% off villas rate
Ranked #6 of 66 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Miss this resort every day...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Hotel
This resort far exceeded my expectations. The reviews and pictures are spot on. I was originally nervous about its small size because I like to keep busy at all times, but there was plenty to do and the size contributed to my relaxation during this trip. The resort is a ten minute car ride from downtown. We rented a car after doing a ton of research and reading forum posts. Best way to go, in my opinion. They have quick valet and having a car allowed us to get at least one meal a day downtown. It's a straight shot downtown and parking at the centrally located mall was cheap and easy.
Food:
We tried a few meals at the resort. I highly recommend the Sunday pool party and taco Tuesday. Their fish tacos were the best I had my whole trip. We had dinner at the restaurant one evening and I'd say it was okay, but not worth the cost. The Mexican Fiesta was fun, but because of the cost ($35/pp) and all-you-can-eat/drink status, I think we all over ate and drank cuz we wanted to get our money's worth. Because we had access to a car and a full kitchen, we stocked up at Walmart the first day. We had no problems bringing our own drinks down to the pool in plastic cups we brought from home. We even made lunches and brought them down. The little market by the front desk had a tub of fresh guacamole for $5...it was awesome! Our favorite off site restaurant by far was Hacienda Cocina y Cantina. We loved it so much that we went back a few days later for a second dinner.
Activities/staff:
Fedra at the concierge desk was super helpful. She helped with reservations, gave good recommendations and always a smile on her face. Check in was smooth. We were traveling with another couple and were offered to trade our two premier rooms for a penthouse suite, but after looking at it decided against it because one couple would have a far superior room and bathroom. Plus we liked our privacy. Manny, the activities director was fun and engaging. We tried salsa lessons, water aerobics (even got the husbands to have fun with it), and of course bartending class. All in all, very attentive staff. We liked the beach as well and exploring the rocky shore underneath the resort. Bring aqua socks for the beach- the sand is coarse.
Rooms:
We loved our premier suite! Fantastic balconies with amazing views. The older of the two buildings had superb views of el arco. I'd sit out there every morning with coffee and watch the whales off in the distance. The bed was comfortable...not the best I've slept in but also not the worst. The shower was awesome! My husband called it a car-wash. The kitchen was fully stocked and we even did a load of laundry.
Tips:
Bring an insulated cup to make your own drinks for the pool (they even have blenders in the rooms).
Ask for a room on at least the second floor
The freezers has an ice maker. Even though the water is filtered, we were nervous. Bring an ice tray and use bottled water if you think it would make you feel better.
If you decide to do the timeshare presentation, beware that it can take longer than expected. I'm not sure why, but ours took almost 3 hours. I will admit that I asked questions and it was fun to see decked out suites, but my husband was complaining the rest of the trip about the wasted hours. We did get 2 massages and an extremely discounted snorkel tour out of it though.

Room Tip: Older building, 2nd floor or up for the best views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

886 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Mukilteo, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

The property is placed right on the high bluff overlooking the Sea of Cortez. Some rooms see Los Arcos (Building 1) but all see the ocean. The wales jump right in front of your patio all day long no matter what room you have. We had the small one bedroom which is considered the lockout unit of a two bedroom suite but it had all the amenities including a washer/dryer, fill size refrigerator, two burner stove top and microwave. It was nicely equipped, clean and comfortable. The bed was excellent. We found the food service good, but the breakfast was mediocre. The staff was really friendly and helpful. As the resort is small, there is only one restaurant on site. It requires a long walk or cab to get to others. The beach, while nice but steep, is down an interesting spiral staircase and is not serviced.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Plano, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

The hotels setting is breathtaking, we could see Lands End. Every morning enjoying our breakfast on the patio watching the whales was amazing. The waiters at the pool, Alex & Carlos did a great job! Jazzy the concierge took care of us weeks before we came to the resort, setting up transportation, helping us order grocery and suggesting activities, she is the best in the business. Manny was fun at the pool especially Friday night Mexican Fiesta. We spent most of our time at the pool, we loved the views and quiet atmosphere. We stayed in the small 1 bedroom, I would suggest getting an upgrade, very small and bed was uncomfortable. The resort is secluded, needing a car or taxi to go into town. If you like to relax, this is your place

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

The hotel is beautiful as is the location. Only advice is to find places outside of the hotel to eat. Ordered breakfast first morning and hash browns are 100% identical to McDonalds. Ordered the bagel, egg, cheese bacon sandwich. What was brought to me was a different version and stone cold. There was only 2 tables occupied and no waiters in sight. No condiments and service lagging.

Tried dinner as we got back from a half day excursion with Xtreme Adventures (excellent, rode Razor dune buggies), ordered filet migeon, lobster, rice and asparagus. No steak knife was offered. No butter for lobster and he asparagus was forgotten. Waiters dont seem to have ever worked in a higher class restaurant before.

• Stayed March 2013
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

After a lot of searching and looking at reviews, we decided on Welk. And boy are we glad that we did. The place is great. The suites are super comfortable. It is on a cliff so the view is breath taking. We could see Land's end from our room. We spent most of the time at the pool and at the swim up bar. You can hear the pacific crashing into the cliffs at night. It was unbelievable.

The service was excellent. They were not pushy about any "time share purchases". We did attend one of the presentations just because we got a couple of tours for free, but even that was painless and they let us go pretty quickly (may be screaming kids had something to do with it).

Only reason I give it a 4 start is because the food is downright awful and they don't have a full kitchen

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Gilroy, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We enjoyed the location, the facilities and most of all the views from our ocean front patio. Whales from early morning til sunset.. The pools were clean, not crowded and service was great. We only ate breakfast in the restaurant a couple of times. We shopped at an incredible Walmart nearby which had an amazing selection of fresh fish, shrimp fruit and freshly prepared tortillas. The kitchens are fine just the usual poor knives and coffee maker. You can also use the barbecue down by the pool.

Room Tip: Rooms are spacious and ocean front. Our room was on the third floor and we had excellent views of th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I am here now, looking out at the Arches from my room. I'll start with the current stuff: POOL: very nice. Always able to get a chair, not crowded, exercise in the pool with Manny=fun. Pool staff for drinks, etc-I think they are struggling to find balance between being too pushy (they are not) and me having to find someone to bring me a drink. Overall, the guys are great. FOOD: Hamburger at pool not so good but breakfast has been fantastic. Beverages are well done (pina coladas, etc). They also let you bring food in and cook it on their grills, how great it that. ROOMS: We have a nice room with a great view. Cleaning is once a week I hear, unless you request something special. We got fresh towels and otherwise this works for us. Bathroom is very nice and clean.
LOCATION: We took the bus into town, easy and cheap as we did not rent a car.Also hitched a ride with friends into San Jose which I recommend-I liked it more more than Cabo.
FUTURE: I hear that Welk is expanding this location-adding 2 more buildings that will not be ocean front. This resort is well balanced today-nice amenities and not crowded. High Quality food. Quiet with just enough activities to participate in if you want. Hope they consider adding a pool near new buildings or designating a family pool in the back. As a DINK (Dual Income No Kids) we like that there are NOT kids running or cannon-balling into the pool while we are trying to relax.
Only thing that was not my favorite: A bartending class that was more of a drink-a-thon. I get that people want to have fun but pouring 4 shots and 3 drinks in an hour in the sun was not a class I would do again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Welk Resorts Sirena Del Mar? Share your experiences!