“Memorable week” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Welk Resorts Sirena Del Mar

Save Saved
You added Welk Resorts Sirena Del Mar to your Saves list
Welk Resorts Sirena Del Mar
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Carretera Transpeninsular Km 4.5 Cabo Bello, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Announcement
New Villas Open Aug 29!
Ranked #6 of 66 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Atlanta, GA
“Memorable week”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

My husband booked a deeply discounted week at the superb Sirena Del Mar to celebrate my big birthday. It was a very memorable week. The sunrises and sunsets from our balcony porch were off the chart spectacular. The staff were very friendly and the quality of food at the on site restaurant was well above average. This resort is located front and center of the gorgeous coastline and has jaw dropping views of El Arco and the lands end area. The infinity pools and super sized jacuzzi were excellent. And the outdoor massage area provided our first ever couple's massage with the ocean waves pounding loudly below. It was an outstanding resort with outstanding services and outstanding physical setting. A resounding YES!

Room Tip: Request to be in the 1st building, which has balcony views of El Arco.

888 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
misson hills, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This was my third year in a row going to Sirena del Mar, and can't wait to go back again in a few months. The staff is largely the same as it was when they opened 3 years ago, which makes going back feel like you're visiting family, not just being on vacation. Upon arrival I was greeted by Domingo, who remembered me by name. Not uncommon here I may add. He took my luggage and proceeded to bring me an ice cold corona and a bottle of water, also common practice. Antonio, another great guy, got me all checked in, and before going to my room Mario, the manager, made an appearance, and greeted me with a warm handshake and asking how I'd been. Like I said, just like visiting family. There is now a "new" wing holding another 18 units. I was given one of these for this trip. The rooms are still great, nicely appointed with a full kitchen, washer and dryer with detergent, and still the most comfortable beds and pillows of any resort or hotel I've ever stayed at. One small issue was that there wasn't a frying pan in with all the pots, which made making my omelettes a bit difficult, lol, but best of all this building is closer to the water. Great relaxation while out on the balcony. The next day I saw Gina and Fedra, who are at the concierge desk. After getting 2 hugs from them, they gave me my 2 free drink coupons, discount card good at many places in town, and gave me a couple of suggestions for new things to do since I was solo this trip. I did take in the bartending class they have, which was fun. Needless to say the resort was rather quiet the rest of that afternoon, lol. A tip, make you've eaten stuff to soak up the alchohol beforehand. They also have a mexican fiesta on Friday evenings with all sorts of great food, and also have a mariachi band and dancers perform a show. Quite fun. Overall, once again it was a fantastic trip at an outstanding property. If you are looking for a place to get away from the business of downtown, but not too far away, a place where customer service is of the utmost quality, a place. One place I'll recommend as a day trip, especially if you surf, is rent a car and head to Cerritos Surf Colony. It's about a 35 minute drive up the Pacific side. Great waves, a very good burger at the restaurant, and although I didn't make up to there, there is a small boutique hotel on the point, advertising a whale watching bar open to the public. It's definitely on my to do list for next trip.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
San Clemente
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We have rated this vacation our #2 favorite place!! The Welk resort was wonderful. The people are awesome. The rooms were perfect. Our view was unbelievable. We were lucky to get into building 3 which is the newest building and closest to the ocean view. Waves crashing at night made us sleep like a baby. Our view was incredible. I felt like we were in the Almafi Coast in Italy.

Only two things that I can say need improvement: the entrance to the hotel is not manicured and could use some lights along the road. The second improvement would be the food. It was pretty average and few times we have to send the food back. The good thing is we all have our own kitchens and were able to make some nice breakfast. There are plenty of restaurants in and out of town that are great!!!
We will definately go back sooner than later. Sheila S

Room Tip: Ask for building #3
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We booked the Welks Resort through orbitz after reading reviews on tripadvisor. The resort lived up to the reviews and definitely exceeded our expectations. It is a small resort, in a good way. We have a tendency to stay at higher end resorts and the Welks felt like a great boutique hotel. Most people visiting seem to be part of a timeshare, but it still feels like a luxury resort with great rooms, a great restaurant and great service. Most notably, the view is truly amazing. The branded hotels closer to town do not have the same view, which is worth it all. The resort also has an attached beach, where you can snorkel or swim. they even have free snorkel gear (no fins) and lounge chairs for the beach. We rented a car, which definitely helped and was easy. Since the resort is setup with full condo-like units, we stocked up on water,soda, beer and snacks at Walmart(5 min. Drive away). Walmart- the bakery items, tamales and fresh tacos were fantastic. (not walmart-like). You are welcome to bring drinks or food down to the pool, but the pool bar is nice with a drink special every day, 2x1 happy hour from2-3pm and a full food menu. The food at the resort is great. We would be considered food snobs, but We were truly surprised and happy with everything we ate at the resort. Everything is fresh and nothing is premade. The Mexican items were great and the fresh calamari was awesome. We even did dinner one night, which was very good. They also provide room service, which we did for breakfast a couple mornings.

The room.
We had a 1 bedroom villa, which was huge with a fully stocked kitchen,,full dining area. large bathroom, large bedroom with whirlpool, large living room and a nice deck overlooking the water. There is everything you need in the kitchen, including all utensils, tupperware and even a coffee maker. The view is one of the best we have seen. The waves crash right in front, so there is no way not to relax. Bonus- full washer/dryer with detergent in every unit.
Housekeeping is only included 1x per week, but you can pay $12 for any additional times.

Car
Get a car. There are taxis waiting at the resort all the time, but unless you are with a group, it can get costly. Downtown Cabo is about 10 minutes away by car. Driving was easy and we got a car from Avis for $12/day. You will still need to pay for the extra Mexican liability insurance of $13/day. It was worth the flexibility. The resort has complimentary valet.

Things to do
We were happy to just stay by the pool or beach each day. Downtown Cabo is a typical Mexican tourist/cruise port. We had booked a sunset cruise online with cabosailing.com, which was fantastic. If going downtown, The other recommendation is to go to LoLo Spa behind Solomon's Landing in the marina and get a great $25 massage. My wife also got a 1 hr pedicure for $15. It is very simple place, but it was worth it. Keep away from downtown when the cruise ships are in.

There is a restaurant up the street from the resort called Villa Serena that we tried on the first night. It has a nice view, but the food was not good at all. We had made a couple reservations at some of the nicer places in town, but we ended up canceling them. We realized that the resort already has the best view in town and has great food too.

Restaurant must!- 2 min from the resort is a small place called Puerta Vieja. The place was amazing. Some of the best Italian food ever and fresh seafood prepared to perfection. It has a great view with seating on the deck, plus live music. We liked it so much that we went back again the next night. I have never done that before, but it was that good.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We vacationed at this beautiful resort last summer for a week. First of all, this place might be difficult to find at night time, therefore, I recommend that you arrive during the day time, drive slowly with a GPS or good local map and look for a small sign "Sirena Del Mar" on the right side of the road. We stayed at one-bedroom unit on the first floor near all most of the amenities. Lying on our bed, we enjoyed the un-obstructed ocean view – very romantic! August was a slow month in Carbo, the place was very quiet and tranquil, which I craved and needed at the end of the summer. The staff was nice and helpful. The first night we arrived late and ordered room service a few minutes before the restaurant closed, but they took our order and delivered our dinner after their closing time at midnight. We also ate some meals by the pool. We had tacos, lobster and steaks, and the food was tasty and fresh. The pools were clean, and the drinks were all good. The only minor complaints I would have was the towels and bed linens were a little rough for my sensitive and dry skin, but my husband had no problem with them. We used the gym once; the room temperature was too cold. Their hotel private beach is small and not swimmable, so we didn’t stay long. Getting to this beach would be a mini workout in the 98 F degree heat because you need to walk up and down through the narrow stairs. Internet and valet parking are free. If you want to do serious web surfing or working, then it will be difficult since the internet is extremely slow most of the time.
About the location, the hotel is not in downtown Carbo. We rent a car and went to downtown dancing at nights, ate street tacos, watched people and had fun. The streets and beaches in Carbo are not as clean as nearly as beautiful and warm as Cancun. We took a day to visit La Paz and Todos Santos, and these cities are also lovely and have fewer street vendors.
Overall, I would highly recommend this resort for couples who want peace and quiet and still have the options to stay out late at nights.

Room Tip: Since all rooms have ocean view, for your convenience, choose a room near the lobby / pool.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We visited the resort last week, just for one day when our cruise stopped in Cabo. We had emailed ahead of time, after hearing that the resort offers free day passes. Sure enough, we received a warm welcome, with only a request to purchase some food and/or beverages at the hotel restaurant.

The resort was an easy 10 minute taxi ride from the marina/port area. The resort is visually stunning when you enter the lobby. Gorgeous views. Mario showed us where the pools, restaurant, and beach access were located.

We picked up a few of the resort's plush purple towels before heading down to the beach. It's a bit of a walk down to the beach, with lots of stairs. (Coming back up from the beach was a hike!) We stashed our bag under an umbrella and headed for the gorgeous, clear water. There is one particular spot on the beach that is great for swimming, even for kids. Our daughters really enjoyed it. There were several locals (American expat retirees) on the beach, so I don't think it's a private beach. I didn't see where the public access was though.

We used the free snorkel equipment (all nice and new looking, in great condition) from the resort to snorkel a bit. There were plenty of beautiful tropical fish swimming very near the shore.

After a few hours, we collected our stuff and headed for the pool area. There were plenty of loungers available. The infinity pools offer stunning views. The water was cool and refreshing. Plenty of adults were enjoying the swim-up bar, but the atmosphere was still very family friendly.

A waiter stopped by to offer a menu and see if he could get us anything. We ordered chips with salsa and guacamole and a pitcher of virgin strawberry daiquiri. The food didn't take long at all. The bill totaled about $19, and we were allowed to pay in cash. Everything was yummy and fresh. Another family with us ordered a few other menu items (shrimp and ceviche) that they said were good, too.

The restrooms by the pool area were clean and like new.

When we left the resort, Mario and another manager thanked us and welcomed us to return.

Since we were day guests, I can't really comment on the rooms except to say that the one we peeked into looked beautiful and spacious.

We were never requested to take any sort of a timeshare tour or presentation, and we felt very welcomed even though we were just there as day guests. It was a great experience, and we'd love to return in the future!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We spent 4 days here in early November. The location and facilities in person are as exotic as any photos make them appear, and several young men took pains to learn our names and to greet us by name. I particularly enjoyed snorkeling in 85 degree water at the adjacent,secluded beach with Manny. He also lead water aerobics classes in the main pool, besides other events. As Welk owners, my wife and I were leery of a strong sales pitch, but found a delightful lady in Jessica Eiben, who gave us an informed tour of the property, helpful tips and answers to our questions re. sightseeing in the area, but absolutely NO unwanted pressure to invest further. We appreciated our time at exquisite Sirena Del Mar!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Welk Resorts Sirena Del Mar? Share your experiences!