“Reasonable hotel in convenient location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Siesta Suites

You added Siesta Suites to your Saves list
Siesta Suites
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Emiliano Zapata | Between Guerrero & Hidalgo, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Ranked #15 of 65 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
New York
“Reasonable hotel in convenient location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Hotel room was pretty big and clean, bed was pretty comfortable, hotel staffs were nice and friendly.
Located a min from Marina, pretty convenient.
You get what you paid for so I was not expecting anything fancy at all
However, I was not happy with sliding glass door w unsecure looking lock.
If you don’t close the curtain, people can see inside and anyone can break in easily by breaking the glass door.
Also there was no security box.
I know that Cabo is safe, yet glass door does not make people feel very secure and safe.
I would like to pay more to stay at better place to feel safe next time in Cabo.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
SiestaSuites, Owner at Siesta Suites, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at Siesta Suites Hotel.
Please know that the sliding glass doors are AAA approved for safety and they also
have a very secure locking chain on the inside. The doors
bring alot of light into the rooms which is very pleasant here
in Cabo. Thank you for the other positive things you mentioned
about our place.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
The Woodlands, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I chose this hotel based on price and location. The location is excellent. A short walk to everything in downtown Cabo San Lucas. The hotel is very quaint. Not your typical hotel room. It has nice traditional wood furnishings. The couch is a built-in cement piece with a cushion on top. I know from watching episodes of House Hunters Int'l that is also traditional in Latin America. The place was loaded with character.

The owner was super friendly and very helpful as well as a fountain of information. When I called the 800 # for special assistance I reached the owner's sister, Carla, and she was also very helpful. I believe I called her around 8 or 9pm and she still assisted me fully.

Salavatore's next door had really good lasagna. I could hear chatter from the restaurant in my room but it was not obtrusive. I did not notice a strong garlic or food odor like other reviewers mentioned.

The minuses. There is a bar with live music next door. That got pretty loud and would be a problem for people who go to sleep early. I believe they were done by 11pm so it didn't impact my sleep at all. It is downtown Cabo though. So noise is to be expected.

I'm 5"5. I had to do some work while I was there. The table was too high for me to work comfortably. The chairs were wooden kitchen chairs with no cushions. So also uncomfortable for long periods of sitting. The bathroom was very, very small. Like others have mentioned the hot water did not last long enough for a nice, vacation style shower.

Overall I think this is a great value for people on a budget. Or if you just want to save your vacation dollars for more activities, etc.

Room Tip: I had room 105 which is the last room on the end on the ground floor. It was very dark. I also don...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This cozy family owned hotel was just great! It's not your average high end hotel with hundreds of employees and thousands of rooms so if that is what you're looking for this is not the place for you. This hotel is small, quite, clean, free wi-fi, less than 2min walk to the marina, and has a very friendly and helpful staff. The owner "Alex" is onsite and is absolutely wonderful! There is a cafe next to the hotel that sells delicious cappuccinos, homemade baguette sandwiches, and homemade brownies - each for under $2! There is also Salvatore's next door which is pretty awesome Italian food (best tiramisu I've had in my life!). You also have free access to the Skypool at the Wyndham Hotel which has the best view in town! I looked around and for the price this is quite a steal, will be back for sure!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Regina, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This hotel completely met and exceeded our expectations! We were traveling with a 19 month old and the staff accommodated every need that we had. The location is great; a block from the Marina, and any restaurant that you would require. The room was very clean and we never felt unsafe. The use of the pool at the Wyndham (2 block walk) was great. Would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Bullhead CIty, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My wife and I have spent the past two weeks at the Siesta Suites, and have another week to go. We get away for an extended period every Christmas, and chose the hotel based on the mostly positive reviews here on Trip Advisor. We have loved our stay, and look to the hotel as our new “home away from home” when in Cabo!

Alex and Nancy (the owners) are American expats, who are always available to answer questions and generally make us feel safe and welcome. Juan and Romie watch the front desk, and manage the hotel. We always had extra towels upon request, and felt the accommodations were perfect for our extended stay. They only supply bar soap, so bring along (or pick up at any market here) a bottle of shampoo.

We have split our time between the “penthouse” and one of the suites on the third floor. This is not the sort of place to seek out if you are looking for 5-star accommodations, but really we appreciate the balance of amenities, location and price. The rooms are very clean, well decorated, and the beds are surprisingly comfortable. It is true that the front doors are all sliding glass that locks with a regular house key versus more common card-key but we always felt safe. Staff locks the front gate of the hotel in the evening, and we have never seen anyone on property that was not working or an actual guest. Most guests are from Canada and the US, a few families but mostly couples and people on fishing trips (the location for anglers is especially good – an easy walk to the docs even carrying tackle and coolers!)

Every room has a coffee maker, and a five-gallon bottle of drinking water. The “suites” are really just small front room with sink, table, refrigerator, credenza, sofa, and microwave, TV with cable (almost all Spanish of course, but a few channels with English language/Spanish subtitles), with a small bedroom with a queen-size bed. The penthouse is much larger, with a full kitchen and larger front room. The real nice thing about the penthouse is the open deck, with a roof-top city view of the downtown area (lots of pics available on the internet). It is true that each room has its own water heater, but there is enough hot water available at any one time for a fairly long shower, or at least two short ones. The water heats up pretty quickly; my wife and I would shower about 30 minutes apart and never had an issue of not having hot water for showers. There is no elevator, so this might be an issue for individuals with mobility problems. If you drive or rent a car, there is only limited parking available in front of the hotel. I am sure they will find you a place to park, but the street is small and gets very congested during the evening. We walked and took the bus everywhere, including to San Jose del Cabo and are planning to take a bus to Todos Santos, so have not felt the need for a rental car.

The location of the hotel is in central Cabo, and on some nights the bands at Cabo Wabo and Cabo Cantina would crank up their music, but we never found the noise particularly troublesome. There is a church next door with services on Thursdays and Sundays, but again the music was really part of the experience for us. Look elsewhere if you are looking for solitude and silence.

The free Internet WiFi is generally good, which is important for me because I am actually working via my “virtual office” on this trip. I was surprised that nearly every bar and restaurant also offers free Internet, and the speeds were very good as well.

Our favorite aspect of the hotel is the location: literally a 2 minute walk from the marina, and less than that to Cabo’s “restaurant row”. Cabo Wabo is just around the corner, and the other local tourist stops are all within easy walking distance. There is a restaurant on the premises (Salvatore’s), which offers excellent Italian dining. The Wyndam Hotel across the street has a very nice pool area (with a great view of the marina, swim-up bar, and two jacuzzis) that is open to the public but surprisingly had very few people there the days we stayed. It is a very close walk, not really any different than what we have experienced at a large all-inclusive in the sense the walk to the pool is about 5 minutes. We have felt very safe on the streets the entire trip, and have not witnessed or heard of travelers having any problems.

A few points we have learned: if you are looking for any form of tequila or liquor, avoid the tourist stores in and around Cabo. We made a few trips to the local WalMart (an easy 4.5 peso (less than 50 cent) bus ride away. Rum and tequila were literally half as much as in the tourist stores in town, and even cheaper than the local grocery store in Cabo (example: one particular brand of rum sells for 220 pesos “special discount” in the liquor stores; 185 pesos in the local supermarket just on the next block from the hotel, and 114 pesos at WalMart). The buses run all the time, and with a little experience were very easy to navigate and we enjoyed our excursions out around the city. Avoid the timeshare people – they are on every corner – unless you have half a day to kill in a high pressure sales pitch and can handle the arm-twisting sales games. Ask around for where the “good” (meaning non-tourist) restaurants and bars are. We found the drinks and food at some of the more local-patrons bars to be far superior and much more reasonable than the touristy places.

All in all, we love Siesta Suites and will be returning again! Best tip: get the penthouse, if it is available!

Room Tip: Get the penthouse if it is available - more like a small apartment than a hotel room!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Read the reviews and stay in the kind of place you want. For me I was not looking for a hotel that could be anywhere, I wanted more of an authentic Mexican feel, that's why I travel. I got everything I needed staying here: Great location to walk everywhere, budget price, a frig to put my cerveza in, a microwave, ceiling fans, a good comfy bed, a great water pressure and hot shower, table & chairs on the balcony, nice helpful owners. Only once in the week I was there did I feel the need to use the computer to check my emails and it was only $3 for an hour. There are US TV channels too so could watch Good Morning America while I had my coffee. I always prefer to pick up some items at the local store so appreciated the full size kitchen.
I loved Salvatore's Restaurant, the smells would waft up to my balcony and it was fun to watch the bustle of activity below. It's really busy starting about 6PM closes down about 10PM and then all is quiet. I also enjoyed the next door church's rousing music one evening and again early afternoon on Sunday. It makes me feel like part of the community when I stay in places like this.
If you are this kind of person too, I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Lehi, Utah, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed the night in Cabo and needed somewhere close to downtown Cabo and found Siesta Suites. It recommended by a local. It was no more than $64/night and great service! We enjoyed being able to walk from the docks to our hotel. Pancho's restaurant is right around the corner and that place has WONDERFUL Mexican food! Mmm mmm! This hotel had big showers, T.V, clean sheets, etc. It was an overall great experience! :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Siesta Suites? Share your experiences!