We booked an exchange through Interval International into the ME Cabo. We had seen the reviews and it looked like a fun place to stay. However, there were many things that turned this into a disappointing stay.
Immediately upon arriving in our room, we found numerous problems. The first was that there was a huge puddle of water on the floor, right in front of the refrigerator. The unit had stopped working and the little freezer portion had melted, causing the puddle on the floor. This was not something that could have occurred in the last few minutes; it had to have been not working for quite a while for all the ice to melt. Someone should have seen this puddle.
Next, we found that the safe was not working. When the maintenance man checked it, he said the batteries were dead. Not going dead, but totally dead. Once again, this is something that should have been noticed prior to releasing the room for occupancy.
We later found that the bathtub stopper was malfunctioning, and when you took a shower, the tub filled with water when it should have drained. Maintenance was unable (or unwilling) to fix the problem, so I took matters into my own hands and pulled the stopper out of the tub. Magic, it now drained!
Another issue was the simple quality (or lack of) of the room. First, it was quite small, even for hotel standards. There were only 2 of us, but it was very cramped just moving around the room. Second, the room was in drastic need of maintenance. The paint was chipped, the countertops were chipped and stained, and the whole room was in need of a makeover.
The next issue we encountered was that you were not allowed to take food or beverages into the pool area. Everything you consumed had to be purchased from them. That's not totally uncommon for hotels, but when you exchange a timeshare, being able to bring your own food and drinks is a major part of the timeshare experience. The food and drinks were decent, nothing spectacular, but was EXTREMELY expensive. Very disappointing.
The last issue we had was with a couple of bartenders. We ordered some margaritas from the pool bar, and when I gave the guy a $100 bill, he said that he didn't have change and couldn't take it. I told him that was all I had, so he was gonna have to get change. He made a big production out of having to find someone to get change for him, and I overheard him complaining to his co-workers (I speak enough Spanish to know what he was saying, and it wasn't pleasant!). After about 15 minutes he came back with change, laid it on the bar, and walked away. He didn't say "Here's your change", "Sorry for the delay", or anything else. Just sat it down and walked away. Well, no tip for you!!!
The bartender was an isolated incident, as we found the rest of the staff (especially the people working at the front desk and the front door) extremely friendly and helpful.
The resort is pretty, but not superb, like some neighboring resorts. The location is pretty good, right on the beach and an easy 5-10 minute walk into downtown Cabo. Overall, we would give the resort a 2 out of 5 rating. We would not recommend this hotel, as there are much better resorts in the area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On the finest stretch of beach, as one of the premiere Cabo San Lucas resorts, ME Cabo resort steps down to the sea, its 155 rooms and suites arranged in a terraced embrace of free-form pools and gardens, Bali beds and sunshine. Well known for being a midweek Lounge hotel & a hip-sexy-cosmopolitan weekend Party Hotel Me Cabo holds a cool hypnotic groove. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Melia, Odigeo, Priceline, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your ME Cabo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Me Cabo Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Melia San Lucas
- Melia Cabo San Lucas
- Me Cabo San Lucas
- Cabo San Lucas Hotel Melia San Lucas
- ME Cabo Cabo San Lucas, Los Cabos