“Fisherman, Foodies & Fun Lovers will Adore the Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tesoro Los Cabos

You added Tesoro Los Cabos to your Saves list
Tesoro Los Cabos
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Blvd. Marina Lotes 9 y 10 | Col. Centro, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Ranked #45 of 68 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Nanaimo, Canada
“Fisherman, Foodies & Fun Lovers will Adore the Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

If you want to catch marlin, hit the night scene or enjoy one of the dozens of AMAZING restaurants with ease this location is for you. When you walk out onto the street you have access to everything Cabo has to offer. My Dad loves that he can grab an early morning breakfast at Captain Tony's and hit the boats. I like that I can walk to any one of nearly a dozen excellent restaurants, and other family members enjoyed the easy access to night life and shopping.

The hotel itself is improving - a lot. They've renovated the pool since we were here 2 years ago. It looks really cool, is fun and lively. It is tricky to get afternoon sun by the pool though ... if you go after 3pm you'll find it hard to find many beds with sun unless you are ok sitting off to the side far away from the pool amongst 100 chairs. If the hotel is busy you'll want to reserve your beds if being near the pool is important or go early. The hotel wasn't too busy when we were there and there were always lots to choose from.

The rooms have been updated and all 4 rooms we rented were spacious with marina views. They aren't luxurious but they are clean and we all found the beds to be pretty darn comfortable. The further away from the elevators you are the less noise you'll hear. The rooms overlooking the pool are also a bit noisy from the music. We were in room 391 and 388 and didn't hear anything really at all once we shut our patio door. Other people in our group with lower #'d rooms complained of a bit of party noise at night as people went to bed.

The gym & spa were closed for renovations so I expect when they reopen it will be quite a good facility. Breakfast was included in our package BUT if you get a package with breakfast MAKE SURE ITS IN WRITING ON THE CONFIRMATION. We experienced a lot of issues because it wasn't on our confirmation and it took 3 days to resolve. We paid for breakfast for 2 mornings and were not compensated for this while we waited for their office to sort it out. It was a very irritating experience and while they admitted it was their fault they did nothing to make it better for us. This is a WYNDAM reservation issue not necessarily the hotel but the hotel did nothing to help us resolve it - making us call Wyndam reservations to sort it out.

A few things you should know:
- if you want to spend time on the beach you're going to have a 20 minute walk to get there. I like the walk because I ate so much that it gave me a chance to walk it off but others may not like it. There is the option to take the water taxi to the beach. If you do this I highly recommend you book it (and all your tours and activities) through Victor who you can find at Salomon's Landing - more on that in a second. You can expect to pay about $3/per person each way to go to the beach and if you don't use Victor for the return you can also expect to pay $1/per person to get off the dock.
- You don't need to bring beach towels. You can get towels from the pool to take to the beach (no charge)
- Don't do any shopping when the cruise ships are in town ... here's an example of why. We were looking at a ring. Monday $40 was the price they started at. Tuesday (cruise ship day) they started at $130. Wednesday $35. We bought it for $20. EVERYTHING is at least double on cruise ship day at the markets and shops. Also when someone asks you if you've been to Cabo before or whether you know how cabo works you can rest assured that they are trying to figure out whether you know that most of the folks live off tips and don't have salaries OR they are trying to determine how high they can start the bidding with you.
- They WILL invite you to a time share presentation when you arrive. Politely decline and they will leave you alone for the rest of the time you're there. If you really want to listen to the presentation to get the freebies go ahead but we know someone who owns 2 units in the building and their annual fees are the same as what we paid for a week and our week included breakfast ... just saying. ;)

Final tip ... we are a family of negotiators. We shop around a lot. My Dad especially likes to negotiate so he walks around asking everyone what they'll charge for a tour or this or that. When it came to fishing, ATVs, wave runners, and tours we got the absolute best price on everything through Victor at Salomon's landing. The only thing he wasn't a better price on (he was the same as the best we negotiated on the beach) was the ATV tour. Plus he took care of us and always made sure we were happy with what we got.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
WyndhamCSL, RDM jmeza@wyndham.com at Tesoro Los Cabos, responded to this review, December 25, 2012
We thank the reviewer for having submitted his kind review, value for money the Wyndham Cabo San Lucas Resort is without a doubt, the best option in the Cabo area. We apologize to the reviewer for the alleged trouble receiving the included breakfast with his reservation, international communication flaws can always happen for which we truly apologize, for the TA community, as recommended by the reviewer we encourage all guests to obtain confirmation in writing of all promotions offered prior to arrival. Once again I apologize to the reviewer. We value greatly the reviewers patronage, please feel free to contact me directly for I would like to personally oversee your future reservations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
Sacramento, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We had such high hopes for this hotel because it’s in a great location. Everywhere we like to go, both in town and on the marina, is easily accessible from the hotel. We spoke to the concierge (Claudia) and the time-share salespeople (Derek and Dan) about the issues noted below and there just seemed to be no resolution. Ironically, at the Member’s cocktail party, the British-accented hotel general manager spoke and said his door was always open and he wanted to hear about issues. He disappeared immediately after the speech, and attempts on subsequent days to speak to him were futile. He was never in his office and no one knew where he was, when he would return, or how to make an appointment for us to talk to him.

We prepaid through RCI for a room with a kitchen. Upon checkin on Saturday was told there were none of this room type available but to check back the next day. Kept checking daily. On Thursday we were told that there was a room with a kitchen available but we would be charged an additional $27/ day. We informed the staff that we had already prepaid for a room with a kitchen and had already gone 5 days without receiving the room type we had paid for. The staff finally moved us into a room with a kitchen on the next Saturday. We went to the grocery store, purchased food and placed it in the tiny, mini-bar sized refrigerator. I discovered the next day that it wasn't keeping food cold and therefore all our food spoiled. The room was poorly furnished; no sofa or chair to sit on despite space where clearly it would go so we had to sit on the bed to read; the bathroom was older and dingy, towels clearly not new, dirty grout and shower curtain. Ironically, the time-share model rooms were beautifully furnished and clean.

The refurbished pool was lovely until the dj started blasting music at a volume that made conversation impossible. When several of us asked him if the speakers could be angled away from the rear of the pool where we were sitting he refused. We asked him, "don't you care about the hotel guests?" He (his name was Felly) stated that no, he didn't care about us. Some of the music played was rap with swear words and graphic language despite the presence of children. Very inappropriate music. The pool was closed for special events two of the days we were there. We were told that the pool is not owned by the hotel but by a separate corporation that promotes the pool for events, thus displacing hotel guests.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
WyndhamCSL, Manager at Tesoro Los Cabos, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
We are truly sorry for not being able to provide the reviewer the Resort stay she was expecting, and for our short falls in our customer care regarding the follow up to the reviewer’s concerns. We have instigated further Customer Care Training to all staff in order to avoid similar situations in the future. I do hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future, and can assure you that upon your return you will see the improvements which you have helped shape with your valuable feedback.
Riverside, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

This resort is in the best location facing one of the most beautiful and famous marinas in the world, and backs up to fabulous downtown Cabo San Lucas. I stayed in a studio suite which was quite large with a sitting area with sofa and coffee table, a large king bed and a generous balcony overlooking the harbor and lighthouse.

The decor was fine but could be a little updated, however the bed and linens made up for it 10-fold! I slept wonderfully and even found myself wanting to leave a fun night out just to lay in the bed! We also ordered breakfast in bed a couple of mornings. I mean, it's vacation right? ;)

The food was also very good. I recommend the Americana breakfast with a fruit plate. The bacon they make is delicious! I usually don't like bacon at all. As expected in Mexico, the Guacamole was amazing and we ate A LOT of it over the course of the week. Lastly, for lunch, get the blackened fish sandwich with Sea Bass. Trust me, so good.

The pool area is gorgeous and has the best views around. I had read in previous reviews that the music was not tolerable but that was not the case for us. It would seem that they have taken the advice of previous reviewers and turned down the volume. There was a lot of techno which I felt didn't suit the atmosphere but we were told they are still experimenting with the music. I would have liked to hear some rock hits here and there but we had a nice time regardless of the music. Nelson was our favorite waiter at the pool. He was very attentive and friendly. He left a good impression and we will visit him next time we go to Cabo.

The gym and spa were not open last week so unfortunately I can't review them. I was told they'd be open by the end of The month (Dec 2012). I would have loved to have worked out in the mornings and then hit the spa. Something to look forward to next time I guess. Overall, i would recommend the Wyndham to anyone seeking a resort in Cabo.

Oh, and I almost forgot; they have wonderful staff who are willing to go the extra mile to make guests happy. One night my hubby and I tied one on until after 3AM. We were starving by the time we got back to the room with nothing open so we called the lobby. Within 20 minutes we were enjoying some cheeseburgers in our room. In the morning I felt like a jerk but it was so nice of them to do that for us. We will be back!

• Stayed December 2012
WyndhamCSL, Front Office Manager at Tesoro Los Cabos, responded to this review, December 25, 2012
We are so pleased that we could go the extra mile with RockyRitz, and thank her for having submitted her kind review. We specially appreciate the assessment of the service provided by Carlos our Night Manager. This type of public recognition is truly motivational and encourages staff members such as Carlos to continue providing extra care in special situations to ensure the vacation experience of our valued guests is memorable, for all the right reasons. We value greatly the reviewers post and patronage and certainly hope to host him again in your future trips to Cabo. I take this opportunity to advise the TA community that in response to the generous Guest feedback, I am glad to say that we have modified the original Skypool | Dayclub program and no longer have loud music all day, we have limited the party ambiance to particular selected weekends, and we can also allocate guest rooms further away from the pool to minimize any unwanted noise.

Been to Tesoro Los Cabos? Share your experiences!