“BE AWARE!!! TIME SHARE!!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos

Save Saved
You added Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos to your Saves list
Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   0.5 Camino Viejo a San Jose, Cabo San Lucas 23450 , Mexico   |
Ranked #29 of 66 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
“BE AWARE!!! TIME SHARE!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

THIS IS A TIME SHARE PROMOTION and as such, you will be required to attend a sales
meeting for about 5 hrs. This 1 day sale has been going on for months.

Our overall experience was very good but there are issues that you need to be aware of:

1. We got the 399.00 for 5 nights and 6 days all inclusive special.
A. The total cost was;
399.00 for the hotel
104.86 24.5% taxes
29.00 Transportation from the airport to the hotel - NOT DEFINED
95.75 We were told this covered tips and services at 19.95 a day.
17.50 Gratuity Program

Total 646.11.

When I asked them to break down the total cost, they informed me that they were not suppose to do that. When I pressed the issue, they said that $29.00 was for transportation but they wanted to make sure we got to the villa safe??
Now, reading the ad, it specifically states that the VIP transportation to the hotel is included.

The contract that you are sent says that 'There is a 3.50 optional charge upon check-out of the resort at the front desk. This is an optional charge'.
Reading that we had no idea what this meant until we were hit with the following:

The night before we checked out we received the weeks invoice. It has defined a 3.50 daily charge for a 'Gratuity Program'. We had been tipping the waiters all along. If you do tip, make sure you attach it to the room bill.
The invoice also stated that 'There is no one at the front desk on the weekends to answer any issues with your invoice'.

We were charged $29.00 for VIP Transportation to the Hotel -- This should have been included.
We were charged $17.50 for a 'Gratuity Program' that we could not ask to have removed because we checked out on the weekend.

It is not the money, it is the fact that we were DUPED and unfortunately these are the things that I will remember the most about our trip.

When I wrote them and asked for a refund just on the 29.00 transportation charge, I got no response. Such a shame.

Over all, the place is beautiful, clean, friendly, and the food was excellent.

If you are aware of these issues, you will hopefully have a wonderful time.

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A TIME SHARE, THERE ARE MANY GREAT DEALS ON THE INTERNET. JUST LOOK AROUND.

Room Tip: This package will not allow you to choose a room. You must take what they give you.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
villadelpalmar1, General Manager at Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
We offer you our sincere apologies for the unconvinced you have kindly reported. Your comments have been shared with those involved. We truly hope that on your next vacations you would give us the opportunity to change this past experience.

Respectfully,

2,069 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (557)
Federal Way, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We just got back from a week long vacation here with 13 family members and friends. It was an unbelievable time. The place was great. From check in to check out the people were friendly and the service was incredable. They were all great but VICTOR at the pool and beach service and OSCAR in the sports bar were the best. This was our third visit and their service is the reason we will keep going back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
On behalf of Villa Del Palmar we thank you for having taken the time to write your review. We look forward to welcoming you once again and provide you with the level of service we are known for.

Cordially,

Arlington Heights, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Just came back from another great vacation in Cabo. Villa del Palmar is the perfect place to stay at. We've been coming here for over 10 years. Close to town but far enough away to feel like you are on a secluded beach. Resort is beautifully maintained. Never a problem getting chairs by the pool. If you can't find an open one, staff will gladly bring you one.
The entire staff is top notch. Special kudos to Ivan Salguero - he is the absolute best Bellman.
My husband passed away just over a year ago. The first time I came back to VDP was very hard for me without my husband...when I got off the shuttle from the airport Ivan was there to welcome me and my family back to VDP. He asked "where's Paul" - when I told him he had passed away he had the kindest words for me. On the trip that I just came back from, Ivan was the first person that I saw getting off the shuttle - gave me a big hug and welcomed me back home.

Thanks to Ivan and the entire staff at VDP for making it so much easier for me to enjoy Cabo once again without my husband.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
We thank you for your kind review. We are glad to know that Villa Del Palmar is your Home away From Home and that Ivan provided you with exceptional service. We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Kind regards,

Fontana, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I read all the reviews and I was nervous about my trip.Fortunately,it was much much better than I expected!! We traveled with our 3 kids.We stayed in the 2 bedroom suite,it was spacious and perfect for a family.The kitchen was well stocked with anything you could possibly need. The pots and pans were in very good condition. We did go to Walmart across the street to get some groceries so we could cook breakfast and for snacks. Taxis will take you for $7.We would go downtown for lunch and dinner ( the resort can get really expensive if you don't have all inclusive) Taxis can also take you downtown for $7. We didn't have any problems getting drinks at the pool. We would go do our activities in the morning and go to the pool around 3:00 pm.It would be pretty empty. Happy hour is 3:00-5:00pm daily 2 for 1.We did not get the all inclusive because we really enjoy the street food ( fish tacos,shrimp quesadillas,carne asada tacos) so it wouldn't be worth it.The beds were extremely comfortable. The kids really enjoyed the pool!! They do approach you a million times for the timeshare,but if you just tell them no,they will eventually get the hint.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to welcome you soon on your next vacations.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Most of the bad reviews on here echo what I encountered:

Two hour check in only to discover we could not get the room we booked. The company we purchased the trip from, not the hotel, of course, overbooked. We were forced to sign a waiver to accept the downgrade-and no, they will not give you a refund for the downgrade. DOES THIS STORY SOUND FAMILIAR?

It smelled like sewer at night-not a light whiff, I mean every breath it was all up in your nostrils pungent. NOT ROMANTIC.

CONSTANT hounding to attend timeshare.

Extremely rude, not helpful staff.

Expect to be lied to.

Creative charges appeared on our credit card statement once received after trip.

Did I mention the constant harassment to attend a timeshare? A lady from the hotel literally kept running along us yelling at us as we walked to go find the bus.

Look at the bad reviews. This has been going on more than five years.

I hope people who go in the future will capture this stuff on camera phone and post it. I'd left my iPhone at home so I didn't have it with me. Ultimately big mistake.

I don't believe most of the positive reviews after what I experienced. It was the worst vaca EVER. I will never get my $ or that time back.

Miserable.

• Stayed April 2012
On be half of Villa Del Palmar we offer you our deepest apologies for not providing you with the level of service you deserve. Do believe actions are been taken in order to correct any service issue. Your comments are taken by heart. We truly hope that in the future you would give us the opportunity to change this past experience.

Respectfully,

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon in Feb 2013. We found a good price online if we agreed to go to a timeshare presentation. It was a very nice, and there were restrictions. They did let us know this right when we arrived. They first put us in a ground floor room facing the parking lot, but we went back and told them I cannot sleep next to so much noise. They moved us to the 7th floor, so that was great.
You have to wear a bracelet, which I really dont like to do because it leaves a ring from the sun, and it also is a kinda 'status' thing around there. Depending on the color the staff can tell that you have these restrictions. Still had really great food, and bottom shelf drinks. This was fine with us because we dont need to have the finest of everything, we care more about having a good time.
For this vacation we just wanted to relax (the stress of a wedding will do that to you) so we just found a place on the beach every morning to hang out all day. You really do have to be down early in order to get a spot either by the pool, or on the beach area that has chairs and umbrellas. We would go before breakfast and put our towels out and leave a book.....make it look lived in because if you just put your towel on the chair they will move it and say you cant save seats. There are a few great beach waiters that bring your drinks and food right to the beach chair. That was just awesome!!! Some of them take forever to get back, so I ended up going to the bar to get us a soda while we waited.
During the reservation process we were required to pay $20/day for a 'staff tip.' I am pretty sure this tip did not go to the staff, because they all had their hands out. I did tip the few that gave outstanding service, but feel this is really manipulative. Either tips are included or they are not, staff should not be expecting tips if you have already paid them. I dont mind tipping for good service, but if I tipped every time it would have cost about another $100/day.
Overall it was a really great experience (even the timeshare presentation was not bad and we would have considered purchasing if we were in a better spot in our lives). We really enjoyed the sun and the sand, and it was really great that we did not have to go into town to purchase novelties as the vendors come right along the beach.
The activities and entertainment staff are AMAZING!!! They do pool games and teach water sports all day then do the entertainment for the show at night. They are really hard workers, and fun to be around.
Highly recommend this for good relaxation and good food.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
villadelpalmar1, General Manager at Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for having shared your experience with others. Your comments are highly appreciated. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you once again on your future vacations.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

The location and ammenities are wonderful. The all inclusive deal is awesome because you can go use it at the Argo resort as well which is walking distance. I left my I.D. with a cab driver and the bellman (Ivan Salguero) handled the whole situation for me and got my I.D. back the next day. He was also very knowledgable about everything there is to do in Cabo and pointed our group in the right direction! Only bad part was the restaurant and drinks situation. you have to sign for a drink or food everytime you get a drink regardless if you all inclusive or not. this was a huge hassel and sometimes it would take an hr to get a drink by the pool. other than that the experienceat this resort was a "10". Thanks again to Ivan Salguero!!

• Stayed March 2013
We thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. They are taken by heart. On the other hand we are please to know that Ivan and the rest of the staff provide you with exceptional service. We look forward to you hosting you once again on your next vacations.

Cordially,

Jorge Herrán

Been to Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos? Share your experiences!