“Good Value Priced Property” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos

You added Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos to your Saves list
Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   0.5 Camino Viejo a San Jose, Cabo San Lucas 23450 , Mexico   |
Ranked #24 of 65 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
CA
“Good Value Priced Property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We just returned from a 7 night stay at Villa Del Palmar. I did email in advance to request a room closer to the ocean and was disappointed when we were the last room before the lobby. But the view was nice and the 2 bedroom had an extra bathroom in the second room. Our stay last time did not include that.
Service varied from indifferent to excellent depending on the staff member. Ester at the pool was awesome and the site manager walked around each day to make sure everything was up to snuff. I wish I remembered his name as he was amazing. Some days our room was made up promptly but a couple of times we did have to call at around 3pm to have them come clean it. So it was hit or miss. I would say it mostly was very good.
When we arrived the hotel was only half filled and as such it was nice to get up and not have to do the towel dance. I simply would head down at around 8:30 with my kids and get a spot. By the following Sunday, it had completely filled up and then the chairs would have towels on them by 7:30. I find this very annoying and wish that all resorts would just promptly remove items after the hour is up.
My kids greatly enjoyed the Whale slide each day. It did get a little unsafe when a lot of kids were on it and not supervised by a parent. We found the staff to be on top of this though and would address the children who were not obeying the rules.
Entertainment staff by the pool are excellent. They did different activities each day. I wish they had a few more for activities for young children. They only did one that targeted them our whole stay. But we all enjoyed the bingo every day.
They do offer a few paddle board lesson every Monday, Wed and Friday from 9:30-11am. It is free and all you have to do is sign up. I took it and loved it. I also was able to take a board out the following day free of charge. My only complaint was that they only had one working board. I could tell the staff was frustrated by this as well when more than one person wanted a lesson or to take the boards out.
Overall, this is a wonderful family friendly resort. If you can find a COSTCO or time-share package that includes all inclusive I highly recommend it. Food was reasonable and tasty if you just wanted to go to town every night as well. We only spend a couple of hundred to each lunch with our family by the pool every day. I would recommend to a family travelling with young children. If I was alone with my husband, I would much rather stay at Villa Estancia or Del Arco next store as they are more upscale.

Room Tip: 2 bedroom suites in building 1 have a view of the arch but not a 3rd bathroom. They get the afternoo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
villadelpalmar1, General Manager at Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
We appreciate your valuable comments. Do believe they will not go unnoticed. We look forward to welcoming you once again in a near future and make your stay a memorable one.

Jorge Herrán

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (659)
Redondo Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Nice suites with separate bedroom and 2 bathrooms which was much appreciated as my husband and I had our 2 adult children staying with us. We were there hanging out with extended family for our niece's destination wedding so the all-inclusive plan made sense for us as we didn't go off property. Enjoyed the beautiful outdoor California restaurant for breakfast (with whale watching from our table) and dinner with excellent service. Ordered lunch served on our lounge chairs on the beach and at the pool. Awesome guacamole. The all-inclusive plan included use of the kayaks and we had a great time paddling over to Lover's Beach.

Room Tip: Spring for the suite if you have more than 2 adults
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to hosting you once again and provide you with the level of service we are recognized for.

Kind regards,

Tustin, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

i spent five nights in Cabo San Lucas. i bought the Costco Travel Package with air for 2 for about $1150. i did not get the all inclusive because my wife and i like to try street food.

if you have never traveled to mexico beware the "sharks"!!! :) if you buy an all inclusive (hotel/air/transport to and from hotel), you will be greeted as you exit customs. these 'sharks' pretend like they are part of the transportation to the hotel. they are not!!! they say they are part of the Cabo Association and want to give you 2 free activities to enjoy on your stay in Cabo. Keep walking!!! Keep walking!!! They want you to show up at a seminar and sell you time shares. i declined :). people that show up to these seminars end up getting harassed to buy timeshares. alot of people fall for it!! Walk away like i did.

Go past a few more slidiing doors until you are outdoors. there you will see your transportation company person holding a company sign. find your transport company and be on your way.

the timeshare selling doesn't stop though. once you get to the hotel, they will try to sell you on it tooo. don't do it. nothing is free!!! nothing is free!!!

the hotel was excellent. clean rooms with fridge, stove, and microwave. my wife and i used the bus system in Cabo. saves alot of money, but you may do a little more walking because the bus stops in general areas. we liked the walking. the hotel was within walking distance of downtown. we walked during the day and late at night. i did not have a concern about safety. its SAFER to walk there than in downtown Los Angeles or my hometown Santa Ana, CA :)

the only thing i didn't like was wifi was not free. $10.00 a day is too much. i used the wifi at the local mall. the resort credit can only be used at the Villa Del Palmar and not at the other 2 establishments (Villa Estancia and Villa...something i can't remember the name), even though your told its one big place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
We thank you for sharing your thoughts after your stay with us. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you once again and offer you the quality and service you deserve.

tacoma, wa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Nice clean rooms, pleasant staff, great location. What's not to like?

Food on resort was a bit overpriced, so don't get locked in to the resort. Don't think the all-inclusive is worth it unless you plan on drinking a lot.

Great kid's pool with a killer whale slide. Full access to the beach.

Great location with short drive access to excellent restaurants "downtown". The rooms were nice and they all come with kitchenette which is great for heating leftovers or some on the spot cooking if you get tired of eating out every meal.

Time share presentation was long but not unpleasant. Great value for the family.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
We thank you for having shared your experience with others. We look forward to welcoming you once again on your next visit to Cabo.

Mayfield, Ut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

This was our first trip to Cabo. We were traveling with our 4 children, ages 9-18. I will admit after I booked the reservation I was a little concerned about our safety and food. After staying a week I can say that neither concern was an issue. We did not purchase the all inclusive, felt that it was way too expensive. We did eat a couple of times at the resort but mostly we ate in town at local places. We were careful with the water outside the resort but other than that pretty much ate what we wanted to. This is the first time I have ever written a comment but will admit the main reason I am writing is to compliment the concierge staff, especially, Teresita Partida, she was exceptional. She went out of her way to be helpful and got us some awesome deals on zip lining and swimming with the dolphins. With 6 of us traveling she made it very affordable, so just wanted to say thanks to her. We had an amazing time and this resort is very kid friendly, I loved how we had easy access from the pools, to the beach, back to the hot tubs. Our kids stayed busy all day long.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from a week at VDP Cabo. The beach is amazing. The firepit us the best way to end the night. Great rooms. Sergio is the best waiter at the pool/ beach. Victor the restaurant manager is amazing. Whales everywhere.

• Stayed February 2013
Villa Hills, Kentucky, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We just got home from our first trip to Cabo San Lucas. We own timeshares that we trade through Interval International. We have had the good fortune of staying at some very nice resorts in Maui, Cancun, Riviera Maya, and Puerto Vallarta. I would say that this resort ranked up there with the nicest places. First off, we were pleased to have an ocean view (actually Sea of Cortez) from our room. We were on the 6th floor. There was noise from another resort that traveled amazingly well. My husband and I are both around 50 but we're not overly critical, and this was not a problem for us. If you are super sensitive to noise, you can close the sliding glass door. Room amenities were pretty standard. Not much of a vanity in the bathroom, but workable. Our maid service was EXCELLENT! Lots of personal touches. The bed was really comfortable! I have seen some complaints by others about the beds/pillows. We certainly had no complaints at all!!!!

WARNING - When you land at the airport, after going through customs and passport control (which moved briskly), you will have to run the gauntlet of timeshare salesmen. These guys are very good at LYING! Do not talk to any of them unless you really want to see a presentation. We paid for TransCabo transportation which also was excellent. Remember, if you talk to someone indoors,it's not TransCabo. They hang out outside and their shirts are clearly marked with their company name.

Once we arrived at the resort and checked in, we were quickly shuffled to our "concierge". These people are helpful, but their primary job is to get you to sit through a timeshare presentation. You will have done a lot of traveling most likely and your defenses will be down, and it's likely that you'll just go ahead with it. Well, we did, even though we told ourselves we wouldn't, but this was probably the best presentation we endured. We had a nice breakfast (on the house) with Ricky, and he showed us their newest property, the Villa del Arco. It really is very nice, and he wasn't too pushy. In fact, he was quite entertaining, and we didn't kill our day. I will tell you that they can make things seem pretty enticing, and there is nothing wrong with buying, but do your homework before you leave home, as there are lots of bargains on the secondary market. I'm not sure what the advantage would be of buying new.

We pretty much go on vacation to relax, and mostly just enjoy doing nearly nothing for a week. We like hanging out by the beach/pool with a good book and a cold drink. So I can't really comment on the "adventures" that you could take. We did, however, do a sunset cruise on the Sunrider and that was GREAT! Not only did we cruise around and have great views of the arch and Pacific, but we also had a great whale watching experience too. Food on the boat is so-so, but that's really not the main reason for doing it. BTW, you can negotiate for excursions for the timeshare presentation, so know going in what you want to do. Also, make sure you get a Gold Card, which gives you discounts on everything at the resort and even some places in town.

Town is a reasonable walk, but the streets/sidewalks from the resort are a bit treacherous. If you are a bit older or accident-prone, you can take a cab. We took a cab to the marina, and it was $12. For $7, it turns out we could have gotten to the Wyndham, which was pretty close to where we needed to be to go on the boat ride, so keep that in mind. Wear comfortable walking shoes.

Speaking of clothing, if you go in the winter like we did, make sure you have a light jacket/sweater/sweatshirt, as once the sun goes down, it really cools off. The resort has a nice fitness room with good treadmills and weights. As someone who has worked out religiously for 30 years, I was impressed. Not only that, there was no additional cost. You can also go over to the Villa del Arco. Their gym is even better! There is a small menu of fitmess classes. The Body Blast class was really excellent but limited to 8 people. You HAVE to sign up by the day before at least.

The only thing that was a bit bogus was internet connection. You can get it in your room, but it averages around $10/day and is only good for 1 device. So if you have a computer and a phone, you'd have to pay twice. Huh? The good news is that you can get free wifi in the hospitality center next to the gym. Just be sure to ask for the password from your concierge.

We thought Cabo was pretty cute and seemed pretty safe. Unlike other places we have been, we did not see armed police officers in the airport and on the beaches. We walked around at night and didn't really worry about being mugged. As for money, virtually everyone wants your U.S. dollars. You can actually get by without converting any money. I only did $30 to pesos and really didn't need to. You sign for everything at the resort, and in town they all take credit cards. The beach is pretty, but not a swimming beach. This time of year the water is pretty chilly. There are a lot of vendors on the beach. It can be a little bit of a nuisance, but no one is pushy at all.

Unfortunately, the resort has some of the worst beach chairs you will ever use. They just won't lay down at all. The pool had a mix of good and bad chairs. If you go there, you'll see what I mean. The pool is nice and there are activities if you are so inclined. There is a quiet pool as well if that's more your speed. The place overall is very pretty. The staff is always cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. There is a nice market on-site. Make sure you take advantage of it (or if you are staying a long time, there are places like Costco to shop) instead of using the honor bar. A can of Coke is around $4 through the honor bar. It's around $1 a the market..

Overall, we had a great stay and I would recommend the resort if you are planning a trip to Cabo San Lucas. We would absolutely go back again !

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
villadelpalmar1, General Manager at Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
We thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your stay with us. Your comments are taken by heart. We look forward to hosting you once again on your next visit to beautiful Cabo and provide you with the level of service we are recognized for.

Kind regards,

Jorge Herrán

Been to Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos? Share your experiences!