“A very nice getaway, but beware PB owners!” 4 of 5 stars

Pueblo Bonito Los Cabos
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Playa El Medano, Cabo San Lucas 23450, Mexico   |
Ranked #16 of 66 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
“A very nice getaway, but beware PB owners!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Over all Pueblo Bonito (the original in Cabo, commonly known as the "Blanco") is a very pleasant place to stay. The staff is friendly. The rooms are clean (though, oops, I had a couple of cucarachas in the closet) and comfortable. It's aging, as is inevitable, but the saddest thing for us was the greed of the owners. As if the Coppels don't have enough already, they charge for things that Tom Baudette's Motel 6 gives you for free! Like Wifi for goodness sake! The mini-gym is probably adequate, but come-on, let's actually FIX the other treadmill and not pretend that it's 'being repaired'. And something as simple as the lotion and shampoo in the rooms have been downgraded to a less-than-stellar product. It used to be a quality name brand product but his time I couldn't even get the shampoo to foam without using 1/2 the bottle on my very 'skinny' hair! Pretty sure they're just refilling the bottles in a back room somewhere.
And, come on. Could you really put 6 people in those 1 bedroom units? Yikes!
Since the 25 yr. Mexican time-shares should be just about running out, I imagine they'll start fixing up a few units so they can re-sell. Beware you owners! The 'new' ones may not be available as often as they make you believe. Just a heads-up to ask before you leap. No, get it in writing!
Again, the getaway was a good one overall. Don't fail us Coppels. You've got a great product. Please don't get greedy at the expense of those who got you where you are!

926 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

This was our first time at these resorts in Cabo. We visited 5 years ago and stayed at another time share location, this was a little older and rooms as others have said are dated, but perfect for Mexico. This was an RCI exchange and a sale exchange at that, so we did not know what to expect.

Yes there is not a lot to do, unless you are motivated to pre arrange activities before arriving or take a chance and try the vendors selling banana boat rides, parasailing, kyacking, etc. right from the beach. We were looking for a relaxing week, after spending a very hectic Thanksgiving and that is what we got at Pueblo Bonito.

We were in the Blanco part of the resort, which is a 25 years old, but still well kept. The pool was clean, chaises abundant, around the pool and on the beach, and I found food service for breakfast and lunch very good. We never waited long for our meals or drinks either at the outdoor dining/bar area, or the patio bar.

We did make the mistake of purchasing the all inclusive plan. DON'T !!!!! Unless you want to be sloshed the whole trip and drink your money with cheap wine, watered down cocktails and low end beers it is not worth it. The buffet breakfast was very good, lots of fresh fruit, breads, pastries, eggs, omelets and breakfast meats, as well as cereals, yogurt, and smoothies. Lunches were fine, great Guacamole!!!!, Dinners were drab, unappetizing, boring, and service in the evening was just not up to par and not as good as the day service.

Aside from the food plan, which we would not purchase again, I felt the hotel was a great break before the rest of the holiday season.

Suggestions: If you stay in Blanco, us the health club in the Rose building, much nicer once I found it, also the pool at Rose is larger, so take your pick.
The beach was clean, clean clean, so you can comfortably enjoy. The beach vendors are outside a separating roped area, so they will not bother you unless you are interested in engaging them. If you say no that you are not interested, they will not bother you.
I firmly said no in reference to time share issues. The hardest sell was at the airport...but once I said no and my husband backed me up on the NO, there was no problem. The time share vendors in the hotel asked us once, again we said no, took our towel cards and that was that.
Take the $6. cab to Walmart, purchase breakfast and snack food and dinnner food for a couple of nights. Downtown is an easy, safe walk to enjoy dinner or lunch out. There was also another hotel, a short distance from Blanco, that had a similar breakfast buffet for $10, instead of the $19.99 the hotel charges.
I found rooms spotlessly cleaned by house keeping, with little extras left, such as flowers in our table and in our bathroom. These ladies left gratuity envelopes, which I filled, as they deserved the tip, they did an excellent job.

All in all one of the nicest RCI places I have stayed and will return.

The value of average was for the all inclusive food plan, value of the hotel is hard to decide, since I do not know what other hotels are charging, but this was a shoulder season and a sale from RCI, so probably the hotel was a good value.
Gave the rooms an average rating because they are dated, but were very clean, plenty of hat water, no bugs, and sufficient for what we were "spending".
Gave the spa a very good, which was second hand from people told me. The health club in the spa was excellent, with lots of very high end exercise equipment, cardio, resistence, as well as spining classes and zumba classes. These classes were $15 per class which I feel is a fair price for a resort, although I did not take any so can not attest to the quality of the instruction. The facility was spotless with towels and water availalbe.

Room Tip: Middle rooms near elevator give a better view in the Blanco Section, but we were in the -30 section...
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We've been to Cabo many times and have stayed at a number of resorts, however, we continue to prefer the Los Cabos. More of a boutique hotel with a smaller number of rooms, the atmosphere is quaint and friendly. It is reminiscent of the La Posado in Nuevo Laredo for those of you that are familiar with this hotel in its heyday. The hotel is within walking distance of many shops and restaurants, has great oceanfront views, and fronts a swimmable beach. Henoc, Oscar, and Frankie are 3 of the many staff that bend over backwards to make your trip the best ever!

Seal Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Our family and friends have been going to Cabo for over 15 years and we keep coming back to the Pueblo Bonito Blanco for its great location, outstanding and clean facility, and most of all the friendly staff that provides service second to none. Frankie and Antonio are always there to greet us at the door, through the doors and behind the desk Enoc quickly checks us in and takes care of every need, Martin behind the bar and many others around the pool make us feel like royalty. This is our home away from home, or better yet our castle away from home. The beach vendors are fun, the ocean is always warm, and the water activities are plentiful and within reach. The fishing is affordable and you don't need to go deep sea for a game-size catch. While the food has plenty of room for improvement in quality and price, there are plenty of alternatives close-by that are excellent. Our group ranges from 12 to 25 each year, and we always leave with a desire to come back.

Room Tip: Personally speak to the staff in advance, its worth the phone call, they all speak English. We like...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

went for anniversary.1st room was very dirty my wife said no way ,2nd was ok.took the resort shuttle from airport,we felt like cattle.took resort taxi to chelano bay he did not show up after 2hrs like he said ,we ended up going to the hwy and caught a bus.conscier said we could rent snorkle gear there,there was none,hit with the time share chick the minute we walked in ,made a couple local calls from room,to my suprise we got charged a dollar every call.and 5 dollars for the 1800# for the dolphin trip that they promote,of course they dont say anything about that at check in ,the bell boys were great staff was nice ,resort was noisy ,7am they were banging with hammers,rollin those carts around the pool on that very rough surface,woke me up every day,pool was ok,no hot tub,no outdoor bar,looks better online ,had kitchenette,very basic not even a napkin,food was ok but very expensive,restaurants very basic,hotel outdated ,oh dont forget about the roll out bed that was suppose to sleep some one,my boys were with us and sleep on the floor,this bed was 40 yrs old ,nothing to do no activities,they charge more for excursions than you can get on the beach,you pay them then they send you to the beach anyway,pool ser was slow ,if your not by the restaurant you dont get served ,there is a nice beach there,i think that sells them,because everything else was not great

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
LA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

To start off, my husband and I stayed at PB Rose for our honeymoon a year ago. It wasn't our first choice, but our planned trip to Domincan Republic got canceled due to a hurricane, so we had booked Cabo last minute. We didn't like it last year-mediocre food at best, not great service, a little boring and not really worth the price. Just our luck: our close friends plan their wedding at PB Blanco (next door to PB Rose) exactly a year later and we couldn't really say "no." We were hoping that our bad experience at Rose was due to the fact that we were disappointed that original Honeymoon plans fell through… we were wrong. 2nd time around was worse!

FOOD:
The food was TERRIBLE in every sense of the word! Bad quality, no flavor (unless you consider "way too salty" a flavor), under- or overcooked, never hot, no variety and, overall, just gross. They even messed up Mexican food… bland Tortilla Soup, dry and flavorless Veracruz fish (as was the case with all their fish), nasty ceviche, etc. On a side note, the day after eating at their Mexican Seafood buffet, I had excruciating sharp pains in my stomach and spent half the day hovering around a bathroom. Oh, and the desserts all taste like they were frozen for a decade and then just said in a fridge to defrost before being served (kind of had that freezer-burn, semi-soggy taste). I will give them props on drinks – my husband loved the Pina Coladas and I was happy with my Margaritas.

SERVICE: Service is plain bad - staff is not attentive (I always had to ask 3 times for drink refills, ordering food at the restaurants, or any special requests); every time I asked for anything, I felt like I was bothering them and that they were doing me a favor; don’t do anything special for birthdays, anniversaries, etc; there’s not consistency in rules/ practices/ processes (Ex: one person said the day spa facilities were part of All-Inclusive, while another said no. One person said there’s no fee for room service, while another said yes. Restaurant times are different on different informational brochures/ printouts.).

ACTIVITIES:
There’s really nothing to do at the resort. There are about 5-6 dinky activities planned each day-some sort of poker, water aerobics, stretching, some art activity and maybe something else depending on the day-but there’s no guarantee that they’ll start at the time listed or that they’ll even happen at all, so you can’t plan on those. One of the days, it rained, and they didn’t even try to set up anything for guests to keep them occupied.

Needless to say, I WILL NEVER STAY THERE AGAIN!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere! If you absolutely have to book at PB (any of them), say it's a special occasion...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We were at Blanco Dec 3-10, this was our second trip this year to Cabo San Lucas and the first time for us exchanging through RCI so I wasn't sure what to expect. Check in was a breeze and smooth and we were on our way to our room within 20 minutes.
The room was nice but a bit out dated in comparison to other resorts that we have been to over the past couple of years. We had requested a room with a full view of the ocean and beach and was assured that our room (one bedroom suite) would have full view. We got 529 and stuck in the corner, so if your planning to go, try get a room in the low numbers, 01-15, that way you'll get a good view of the Marina and Lands End.
The time share lady was overly aggressive and although we politely told her we weren't interested she followed us around for first three days, I know she has a job to do, but it did get to be annoying and to the point were we tried to stay away from the lobby.
With only two restaurants at the resort, there is not much to choose from and after the third day found ourselves going into Cabo to eat. We did pay the full price for the seven day all inclusive, but if we were to go back, I think I would only take the three day package. Oh yeah, keep in mind that ordering room service is not included in your all inclusive. Most other places include room service, but Blanco doesn't....so read the fine print of your all inclusive deal or you'll end up with a hefty room service bill upon checkout. Luckily for us, a couple that we spoke to warned us to stay away from room service as the prices and services charges are considerable.

If you are looking for a quiet place just to go to and relax, then this is the place for you. It's quiet, the beach and Marina are within walking distance and the resort pretty much shuts down at 11:00 p.m.

Room Tip: Anything in the low numbers, i.e. 501-515 and you'll get good views of the Marina and Lands End.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Pueblo Bonito Los Cabos? Share your experiences!