“All Inclusive at Pueblo Bonito Rose” 3 of 5 stars

Pueblo Bonito Rose
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Playa El Medano, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Ranked #30 of 66 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
San Clemente, California
“All Inclusive at Pueblo Bonito Rose”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stayed at here last week and paid to get a Luxury Suite with the All Inclusive Package. Upon arriving we were informed all the Luxury Suite were booked and either we moved to a Junior Suite or could go to their sister resort (note we were meeting other couples at this resort) we opted for the Junior Suite, given that we were to receive a credit for each night's stay back on our credit card - which to this date, I do not show on my credit card.

We were All Inclusive and unfortunately since the hotel is unable to decide what type of hotel it wants to be (regular resort, all inclusive, or timeshares) we had to wear bracklets the whole stay and on top of that we had to sign for every single thing we ordered, so they had a record of it. This was very annoying to say the least.

The pool guy Jay was great! Attitude and service was awesome at the pool!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

1,397 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
Plantation, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

This was our second trip to Cabo. I will start with the good. The location of this resort is perfect. The rooms & grounds were kept very clean. The beds/pillows were comfortable and the rooms had plenty of space. It was nice to have a roped off beach area so that vendors couldn’t hassle you. The gym was great; our friends really enjoyed the couples massage at the spa.

We did the whale watch tour with Whale Watch Cabo and it was the highlight of my trip. Not only did we see whales the entire time, the guide was a marine biologist that was very informative and could answer any question you had. Happy Endings Cantina is always a blast, Monkey Business has amazing fresh squeezed margaritas that are out of this world and we had a lot of fun at the Mango Deck.

We booked our round trip airport tranportation with Trip Trips since my husband brought golf clubs. The driver was courteous, on time and very well informed.

The bad: We were extremely disappointed in the AI. We felt nickeled and dimed the entire week. If you wanted coffee that was “included” in the morning, you had to go and get it from the restaurant. The same went for bottled water. Sometimes we’d ask for bottled water in the restaurants and were told they were out. Although there was a fridge in the room, it was not stocked with anything. There was no beer/liquor in the room either as we’ve had with other resorts in the past. There was a coffee machine in the room but the coffee, creamer, etc. delivered to the room was extra. AND anytime anything was brought to the room there was a $5 surcharge. It was advertised that there was 24 hour room service when we booked the trip, it stopped at 1AM. There was not a bite of food to be found on the property after 1AM. If you wanted premium liquor it was extra. If you wanted to eat at Fellini’s it was $10 per person extra then once inside, certain items on the menu were – you guessed it, extra. And the food was mediocre at best. Breakfast was my favorite; the woman at the omelet station did a wonderful job. I was afraid to eat anything else from the buffet as I sat and watched birds land on and eat from the serving utensils. Bird droppings on the chairs, birds landing on our plates as we ate - completely disgusting. And anytime you ordered ANYTHING, you had to sign for it. I’ve never had to do this at an AI before.

We took a trip to Wal-Mart to get coffee, creamer, bottled water and premium liquor. The prices were comparable to the states.

The shower in the room would go from warm, to scolding hot to freezing cold. The shower head also doesn’t move so the constant change in temperature is unavoidable.

The service itself was not very good either. I felt like we were overlooked with my all-inclusive wristband on. One of the friends we travelled with wanted bacon with breakfast and each morning he had to ask for it and wait and wait and wait. The waiter sure could have recognized him each morning and got a head start on getting some bacon cooked up. Wilver the poolside waiter was the only exception. And he took extra care and greeted me by name each morning. My husband enjoyed the sushi a lot but the service never came with a smile, just attitude.

As everyone in previous posts have said, if you want a pool chair you have to get up early and save it. I’d recommend bringing your own beach towels so you can recognize which is yours. A couple next to us placed bandanas on top of their towels which I thought was a great idea.

We have travelled to several parts of Mexico & have always been respectful of the people and the culture. We’ve always tipped well for service and remember when the people used to be nice. Each time we went downtown we were constantly being pushed drugs, it just didn’t feel safe anymore. We will find another place to vacation in the future.

Room Tip: Either get a ground floor for your own loungers or a top floor for the best view.
Olympia, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

When my family arrived at the PBR late in the afternoon of Saturday, February 16, 2013, we were told that none of the three suites we had reserved were available, and would not be available until, Monday, February 18th. Recognizing that the hotel had overbooked, the Rose desk staff responded with placing us at another PB resort and giving us, after I asked, a credit of $100.00. I had reserved the suites in November, 2012 from two different timeshare owners and had received a confirmation from the Rose for two of the suites and had a letter of introduction for the third one, which was reserved in the owner's name. Needless to say, our group of 10, which included 4 tired and hungry children, was in a state of confusion. In addition to our family, there were several other guests unhappy at check-in because their rooms were being occupied by others. We don't know what caused the overbooking; but this lack of attention to detail is not only upsetting for guests; it is very uncomfortable for the desk staff. We thank Perla for all of her help. Ultimately, we enjoyed our two night stay at a Montecristo villa as well as our five days at the Rose. And all of our family appreciated having the two different experiences. Patty Bergman

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Mayra P, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Rose, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Patty,

We really appreciate your positive attitude and we feel very happy to hear that after a not so pleasant arrival you ended up having a great vacations with your family at both Pueblo Bonito locations, thank you for giving us the opportunity to make your stay enjoyable.

We really hope to welcome you and your family again so we can treat you the way you deserve.

Lakeville, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Four years ago we spent a week at the Rose and love it. Loved it so much that we decided to go back again this February. I have to be honest and say that from the moment we checked in until we checked out it was a lot of disappointment. It started out with check in and even though my sister made the reservation under one name for two rooms we ended up on oposite ends of the resort. The front desk staff said they were unable to move us closer even though the reservation and been made 9 months ago. After a lot of discussion we were told that if we waited until the next day we could be moved to the side of the building (with my sister and her husband) though not on the same floor. We decided to do that even though it was still a pain because we always go to Walmart and shop for groceries and then share the food. Not being next to each other or near made it much more difficult to do this. The next day we had to check out of the one room at 10 am but couldn't check in to the other room until 1 pm. When we finally got to the new room it didn't have a refrigerator but a mini bar frig. I had to call and ask to have that removed and a regular frig brought in. I also had to call and ask later that day for a hairdryer and there was a holder for one in the bathroom but wasn't one there. Warning...If you go here with your children watch out for the showers. The water goes from warm to cold to scalding constantly. It's bad enough for an adult but if you had children it would be scary!! The timeshare agents are a pain!!! They just won't leave you alone and they all seem to give you different offers. They bug you at the check in area, pool, out front, you just can't get away from them!

There are things we really do enjoy about the resort like location. It's so easy to walk downtown and shop, have dinner at The Office, Mango Deck, etc. Also the view is beautiful, pool is great and we love watching the whales, sea lions, boats and water activities. I also had a massage while I was there and it was wonderful.

As much as we like some of the things about this resort I don't think it would make up for the problems!

Room Tip: If you are traveling with children, friends or family and want to be in rooms near each other good l...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Mayra P, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Rose, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear reviewer.-

We are very sorry that in this occasion Pueblo Bonito Rosé did not meet this reviewer’s expectations. Fortunately the occupancy of the hotel has been very high and it is very difficult for us to fulfill special requirements about rooms next door to each other, even this guest made it in advance. When the occupancy allows us, of course we do our best effort to fulfill any guest’s requirement. Some of our units have refrigerator and hotel rooms have a mini-fridge and a kitchenette, if our reviewer moved from one room to another, it is probably that it could have been a hotel room, although it is completely equipped as the rest of the units. I am sorry if the hair dryer was missing, but it was sent once it was asked to our Call Center. Remarks about the shower are taken into consideration to be revised. Be sure that our main philosophy is our guest’s satisfaction and we will continue reinforcing all these issues.

Yours cordially,

Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I came here w/ 5 other friends for a "girl's only" getaway. This resort is very pretty. The rooms seem a bit old but it's very well maintained & the staff is friendly. I looked @ other options but chose this one since 2 of the girls have a timeshare here & we wanted to be @ the same hotel. Also, I stayed at their sister resort ( Blanco) next door before & it was nice. Check-in was quick & easy & we were upgraded to an Executive Ste. because of mtc. issues w/ our originally booked Luxury Ste. The room was decent & very spacious. We spent 4 nights in this room & when my roomie flew home today I switched to a Jr. Ste. since I was staying an add'l night. Jr. Ste. is also spacious. The only issues I have (& they're minute) is the shower head pressure is too light & the beds in this room are lumpy. Luckily, I can sleep on a rock if needed. Pool area is nice & it was nice that at this time of year there aren't many children around. We only ate the breakfast buffet here & it was good however not worth $20; maybe $15. And, I never ate the fruit because it was always swarmed by bugs. We had a panini for lunch @ the deli 1 day & it was delish.

Back to my extra night ordeal real quick. There are 2 things to be aware of:
1) If you try to book an extra night through the front desk they ridiculously over charge you. You have to pull out your laptop & book it online to get the lower rate. I found this pretty stupid.
2) When I did book online, I had to turn around & email the reservation conf. # to them. I was told at that time what my room # was and that that room was being held for me. Well, when I checked out & checked back in, I was given a totally diff room. Not a biggie, but it was a lot of zig zag walking to get to it.

We spent most of our days on the beach & there was never an issue getting chairs; even at noon time. However, the chairs are too close together. Not even an inch between them. I guess it's so they can have more. Every day we walked a little way down the beach to some beach bars: Mango, Billigan's & The Office. Mango's quesadillas are delish. We also spent 1 afternoon @ ME which is a couple of resorts down & much more catered toward adults. The resort will let you hang out there as long as you spend $20 pp. I actually considered this resort for this trip but so many reviews had guests complaining about the loud pool music. I have no idea what they are talking about. It wasn't loud at all & we enjoyed it. However, I don't believe it's worth its nightly price tag. Also, the abundance of beach vendors is too much. We were hit up literally every 2 min. And, this is in front of all the hotels. For the most part they weren't overly pushy but the beach bars/restaurants on Medano Beach (above mentioned bars) allowed them to come up to where you were hanging out. This was extremely annoying. It used to be roped off & they used to have "no gracias" signs you could put in the sand next to you. I don't know why they stopped that.

Ok, back to Rose. I wish the free wifi covered more ground. Also, and this is a BIG one, they are not a true all-inclusive. PLEASE don't be fooled by their AI. In my opinion, it is not worth the add'l. money esp. when even though you pay extra money for it, you can't order anything on the menus you want & many of the items are just discounted. I was stunned by this. Say you pay $100 a day for AI you will actually end up paying about $200 a day if you eat & drink here. They also have surcharges. AND, you have to pay to use the gym. What a joke. You should not have to pay for gym use. I can understand spa use but not the gym. I guess my biggest pet peeve w/ this resort is that they nickel & dime you. Also, my last night since I stayed in & I really wanted another one of those great paninis from the deli so I looked thru the guest book in the room to see what time the deli closed & it said it was open from 6a-10p. What it didn't say is that the 'kitchen' part closed at 9:30p so I threw on some street clothes & headed down there & all for nothing. I told them they need to include that in their book!

Drinks prices are outrageous. They need to extend the time of their happy hour or just lower their prices.

The hotel is an easy 10 min. or so walk to town where all the action is. Also, to the marina. We went into town every night. If you like to go out & party, the bars don't really get going 'til about 11p & stay open pretty much all night. We never got back to the hotel 'til after 3a each night so that tells all. And, a cab is only $6 each way so you can do that too. As w/ anywhere, be aware of your surroundings but Cabo is pretty safe. We actually walked into town @ 4a one morning because we wanted street tacos. We never felt unsafe.

I do want to mention 1 other thing since I brought up safety. Our 3rd night, about 9p, someone was banging on our door. And, I mean banging; not knocking. I thought it was odd an employee would be banging like & we assumed it was an employee because we weren't expecting anyone. I was in the bedroom when my friend looked thru the peep hole & said it wasn't an employee. Before I could say don't open that door, well, she opened it. It was another guest (from Australia) & he was complaining about how loud we were being when we walked across the floor & he couldn't sleep. We didn't even put our heels on 'til time to leave. We have no idea what he was hearing but it wasn't us. And, even though we were NOT being loud she kept apologizing to him & he just kept going on. She finally shut the door. I felt very unsettled after this. We went to the front desk to inform them of this as I felt threatened by his actions & I'm pretty sure I heard one of the receptionist say that the man did come & complain there too & they gave him our room #. I hope I'm wrong because no hotel/resort I know of gives out room #s of one guest to another; esp. after that person was upset w/ other guest. This is dangerous & they'd be liable if something happened to a guest because of their ignorance & negligence.

Ok, I believe I am done. I know this is long but I didn't want to miss a thing. Oh, LOVED the swans.

To sum it up:

PROS: Nice hotel/grounds. Spacious rooms. Minute walking distance from lobby/farthest rooms to beach. Very close proximity to town/marina. Good food. Good drinks. Quick & easy to get a cab. Lots of beach/pool chairs avail. even @ noon. Not many kids. Food in deli was yummy & not too pricey. Room service is quick & the margherita pizza yummy.

CONS: A totally diff. room rate booking online vs @ hotel. Not a true AI. Drinks TOO expensive. Too many bugs on food @ buffet. Put the rope out farther to keep vendors farther away. (PS We did buy some items from the vendors. But, only the ones who weren't pesky.). Don't give out room #s!!!

Pros & Cons are about even but unfortunately the cons are worse than the pros. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Stratford, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Rose' from Feb. 15-22, 2013 and what a wonderful time we had!
The staff is very helpful and friendly and the food was always prepared perfectly.
We will be back next year.
If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them for you.

Room Tip: You want to be high enough to enjoy the view. We were on the 6th floor which was perfect. Our bed w...
Dear Amber,

Thank you for your kind remarks and for taking the time to review us, it is great to hear you had a wonderful time with your husband at our resort.

Looking forward to welcome you next year.

Tomah, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

The facility was very nice, not great. I had to renegotiate with the front desk to get the ocean view room we booked and paid for in advance. Booked an appointment with the spa for a massage and paid in advance with a prepaid coupon from attending a timeshare presetnation. Spa supervisor, Carlos, took the coupon and said he would hold it until the appt. Went back to confirm the appt two days later and they had incorrectly booked the time for our date of departure. We corrected the error and showed up for the appt on time. Carlos informed us that he had no coupon from us, was unable to get a replacement for us, even though it was issued by a sister resort, and that if we cancelled the appointment due to no coupon, we would be charged a 50% penalty for not using the service. We argued that he had the coupon and should replace it since we gave it to him,. He did offer to provide the massage for a 20% discount if we paid in cash. We declined. He sumgly said we wold be charged regardless, s owhy not pay the extra $30 and get the massage. We left and spoke to the front desk manager. She was sympathetic, but said she could not speak to the general mgr until after we had departed. I am glad I never gave them my CC to cover incidentals or would have been billed for it. Beware of the SPA!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Pueblo Bonito Rose? Share your experiences!