“Stop Whinning...Do A Little Research Before Going to Cabo” 5 of 5 stars

Pueblo Bonito Rose
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Playa El Medano, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Ranked #24 of 68 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Stop Whinning...Do A Little Research Before Going to Cabo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

Before writing about my week at Pueblo Bonita Rose, I feel compelled to respond to those who had bad experiences while visiting Cabo. (1) The taxi service from the airport can be expensive if you are unprepared. But, don't blame the resort. The airport is an hour drive
from the resort. A little research would have led you to Cape Travel taxis that could be reserved from your home, via the internet, before you departed. My wife and I paid a total of $38 for the trip from the airport to the resort ($19 per person). Dropped us off at the front door. (2) Easiest way to avoid that $18 tequila shot is buy your own tequila. Asking how much the drinks are before ordering helps too. Then you can make a choice whether or not you wish to spend that for a drink. I didn't like spending $12 for a pina colada, but that was my choice to do so. (3) Don't know if these travelers had ever been to Mexico before, but beach sellers are common everywhere. That's how they make a living. Just a "No gracias" to them and they are gone. As far as offers for "weed or coke", we were in Cabo for eight days and never experienced this type of sale offer. It's unfortunate that some visitors had that experience. (4) We found all the staff that we dealt with to be friendly, cordial and helpful. Naturally, if you go to a resort that deals with timeshares and was also offering "all inclusive" the people are going to do their thing. Firm no's and thank you's usually work. That being said, I will say that we had a great week at Cabo. Easy walk to town or $6 taxi ride or 6 peso bus ride. The resort food was good, but we also enjoyed eating away from the resort. We did use the fishing charter that the resort is hooked up with, but we went directly to them and arranged our fishing day and it was no more than any of the other fleets. Walking the Marina and getting fishing FYI was fun. The pool area is great, even though a fair skinned man from Minnesota could have used a bit more shade. We really do not have anything to complain about our week at Pueblo Bonita Rose' or our time in Cabo. My wife is a beachcomber so she was disappointed by the lack of shelling in the area. But we both would return to the Rose' in a heartbeat.

George

Room Tip: We just had the smallest suite and it was more than adequate for the two of us. If rooms are import...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

Rose is the place to stay in Cabo, it is in the middle of everything so you don't have to go to far for anything that you need or to do..the staff is wonderful and the grounds are very very clean...the rooms are beautiful and roomy..we just returned tonight, it was hard to leave such a awesome place...

• Stayed September 2011
Kirtland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

I booked my five days here and upon my happy and excited arrival in the airport, it turned to a complete anxiety and a horrible experience as I was approached by 8 mexican men for a taxi ride only to find out the charge for the taxi was 180.00 dollars. The hotel does not inform the guest that not only do they not provide any transportation to the hotel but that also be aware of the wolves in the entrance posing as taxi cab drivers and later try to get you to do a time share presentation on top of the blown fair. I've never been to cabo so was not aware of the insufficientcy of transportation in their airport. As for the food I suggest the all inclusive because the a la cart and room service was terrible. It is less expensive to buy your own liquor as well drinks run up to 12.00. My son ordered a shot of tequilla and was charged 18.00. The hotel is not the party scene so music is not good around the pool. Go to Nikki beach! To end, don't waste your money upgrading unless you have a high up exectutive suite cuz you get treated the same all over the hotel.

Room Tip: We spent one night on east second floor and enjoyed the singing birds in the cage but did not have a...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

I just can't get past the lack of "friendly" customer service this resort has. I was lied to by the concierge lady when I asked her to look up a number I had lost to a local fishing company I had previously researched. She got on her computer looked up the site, which I saw was on her screen, and bluntly said "No, I don't see it". But then tried to have me book a trip with their fishing company (top anglers) which would have costed me $600USD more.

Also, the beach is beautiful but please be aware that the vendors selling items at the hotel beach will ask you or your kids, that look old enough, to buy drugs after you tell them no the first time. I can't even remember how many times I was asked if I wanted cocaine or weed. I feel the hotel should increase security as this is not only annoying saying "no" over and over but could one day be a potentially threatening situation.

My overall feeling about this resort was uncomfortable. I didn't appreciate the few rude staff members in the spa and concierge. I didn't like the beach-vendors offering me drugs and finally, I did not enjoy paying an expensive tab for the poor food quality. I don't think I would ever go back to Cabo for a relaxing vacation, I would just go to fish as that was the most fun I had my entire trip.

The food at this hotel and Cabo in general was just ok, stick to the seafood.

Room Tip: All of the rooms face the ocean. The hotel is shaped like the letter V
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
PBRose, Public Relations Manager at Pueblo Bonito Rose, responded to this review, September 30, 2011
Thank you for your comments. We appreciate you feedback and we have notified the appropriate individuals at Rose. We pride ourselves in having impeccable service, and we take service issues very seriously. We hope to see you again so that we can demonstrate our superior service and customer attention to you.
Petlauma, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

We have stayed at this resort for many years. The location, service, activities, food, drink and accomodtions are outstanding. I ended up with an ear infection. Spoke to the concierge about medical attention, and within 15 minutes a local doctor was knocking on my door. I received a shot and medication and within an hour I was out of pain and back to my activities. Price was very reasonable. Love this place!

Room Tip: we like the bottom floor units. Top floor has poor water pressure
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

Whoa, just read the last review and, had I read it before last week's vacation, I might have stayed elsewhere! GLAD I DIDN'T!. I just returned from the Pueblo Bonita Rose with friends and we all LOVED IT!!!!!

Yes the beach is small. It was NOT stinky. Yes, the vendors are annoying. Same problem in other resorts in Mexico.We booked the all-inclusive for 3 days and ended up extending to 7 because the food was so good and the waitstaff was wonderful. We had lunch one day at Blanco and couldn't believe that almost two hours had passed. With the beautirul view, great conversation and several courses (all EXCELLENT), time flew by. All other meals were served quickly. In 7 days, we never had a complaint about a meal or the service. Fellini''s, however, was not a favorite. Small portions and they switched the menu for the meal plan users.
The weather was unbearably hot but the pool and activities were more than satisfying. Lounge chairs on the beach and pool were perfectly fine and comfortable. The surroundings were immaculate! I woke at 7 each morning and saw staff in the pool cleaning and scrubbing, groundskeepers clipping the landscaping.
We did the time share presentation. 50% off spa, 50% off all inclusive, discounts on wave runner, ATV riding and free dinner cruise which we LOVED.
All in all, I would def return. Just not in Aug or September! Too hot!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Arlington, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

Love Cabo - have been there a few times. Love this resort. The pool is humungous and the scene is lively. I got to take a free mini-scuba lesson in the pool! The location is to everything and right across from the Arch. The staff is friendly and will help you with anything you need. Before I forget, zipling with Wild Canyon Tours was super fun and only 20 minutes away! I think this resort skews to a litte bit of an older crowd, but for R & R, that was fine by me.

The best part about this resort is the spa and gym. It is by far one of the best spa/gyms of all the resorts. We got two heavenly massages while we were there, and got in a couple of great workouts, which were much-needed b/c the beach in Cabo isn't the best for running due to the uneven shoreline and slant of the beach.

We decided not to do the all-inclusive since we are only moderate drinkers, and didn't want to feel tied to eat all our meals there. The daily breakfast/brunch is $21 dollars pp and well worth it. Lunch was usually a yummy salad by the pool, and dinners varied so we could try the many wonderful restaurants in town.

Arrange your tours & watersports through the hotel for better deals, despite the people on the beach trying to wheel & deal with you.

Would stay here again for sure, if anything for the spa! Just ignore all the time-share people. It's part of Cabo/airport/resort experience to be asked to go and tour something to get coupons, discounts, etc.,but a firm no thank you does the trick.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view. This place is sprawling. Some rooms are right over the pool, and I think those m...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Pueblo Bonito Rose? Share your experiences!