“Great View Great people.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Solmar All Inclusive Resort & Beach Club

You added Solmar All Inclusive Resort & Beach Club to your Saves list
Solmar All Inclusive Resort & Beach Club
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Solmar #1 | Col. Centro, Cabo San Lucas 23450, Mexico   |
Ranked #26 of 68 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
New York City, New York
“Great View Great people.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

The hotel Solmar was a great experience. Once I arrive everyone was very welcoming. My room was the size of a condo. I had decks where I could sit out and look at the ocean, two bathrooms, a living room and kitchen area. The kitchen had a stove with pots and pans, large fridge, and microwave. My room was incredibly large. The place is clean very well maintained. Although the place is not as modern as most hotels that i have traveled to , and there is construction going on next door It was still nice. The place had lots of character and I would go there again without a doubt. The staff are amazing. They bend over back-words to make you feel comfortable. The food is not five start but its good and helped me save a ton of money during the trip. Ernesto our waiter made it so fun every-time we went to visit the restaurant he made it such a personable experience. He even made me a sandwich before I left for the airport so that i would not be hungry waiting for my flight. Like my title says Great view because you cant bath in that part of the ocean its too rough so all you can do is watch. Great people because they truly make you feel like family.

Room Tip: The rooms are very large. the bed is comfortable, bright open and yes make sure the Air conditioner...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
luis a, General Manager at Solmar All Inclusive Resort & Beach Club, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear customer from New York City, New York;
I appreciate the time you took to share your experience with others. It is rewarding to read that you have enjoyed your vacation and the customer services from our cordial staff, they are happy to know their service is well appreciated for you. Please do not wait too long to comeback and allow us to provide an even better experience. Warm greetings!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Where do I begin? A friend and I went to Solmar on a deal from Living Social. It seemed to be a very good value for an all-inclusive resort, but didn't turn out to be once we got there. We were both meeting up from different states so our flights got in at different times. Because she was arriving early, I called to request to put her name on the reservation. A woman answered the phone and after I gave her my friend's information she said it would be no problem for her to check in before me. She said, "yes, yes" to everything I said (Their answer to everything, even if it's really no.) Once I arrived (five hours after my friend was supposed to have arrived), they said they had no idea who she was or that I had even requested to add her name. After searching, I found her by the pool waiting for me to arrive. I couldn't believe they would make her wait that long. This was my first guess that things wouldn't go so well, but I tried to be optimistic.

Let me start with the PROS:
-the restaurant manager in the morning, Ernesto, was so nice! He made our dining experience at the main restaurant a delight. The restaurant has a very relaxing ambiance. It faces the ocean and if you sit outside, sometimes you can feel the ocean mist.
-the sushi served in the afternoon was delicious.
-A few of the male employees (I forgot their names) working at the front desk were also very nice.
-There's free shuttle service (2-3 min) to their sister resort, Playa Grande. Do your self a favor and try to frequent it as much as possible. It's really nice there!

CONS:
-reservations can only be made via email and although they say they will respond within 24 hours, I didn't hear back from them for days sometimes.
-The closets/storage space were full of miniature ant looking bugs. You could barely see them. My friend stored her laptop and bags in the closet and when she went to get her laptop it was infested with ants. They were so small they got into her laptop! I saw a few in the bathroom too.
-The servers at the pool area were not really attentive, to us, at least. More than once, I had to get up from my pool chair to request someone to come help us and even then it took them a while.
-The construction is right over the pool area. Even though my room was on the opposite side of the construction, I could still hear it. I considered it my wake-up call. It lasts from 8am to a little after 6pm. After sitting long enough at the pool, the noise just drowns out in the background, but sometimes it's hard to forget it's there.
-Spa Cabanas: I considered getting a massage, but all the construction noise would defeat the purpose of relaxing.
- The pools look clean, but when you get in there is a lot of debris.
-If swimming in the ocean is your thing, re-think staying at a hotel facing the Pacific Ocean. It's so dangerous they had security guards at the beach so guests wouldn't get in. There was a swimmable beach nearby that we didn't get to go to though.
-We were only given one key card instead of two because their key card machine wasn't working and soon the one we had stopped working as well. I get that sometimes key cards stop working because they become demagnetized, but after walking all the way back to the front office to get it changed, the woman at the desk was not friendly and did not apologize for the inconvenience.
-Even though there is an activities schedule (that included water aerobics, crafts, and games) there were none that I saw. I even called the front desk and asked if they were still holding the activities listed in the newsletter. They said yes, of course, that they were located by the pool. But we sat for hours at the pool and there were definitely no activities. We ended up going to Playa Grande for that and had a blast. Travelocity visited Solmar few days after we arrived. We knew because of all the "Welcome Travelocity" signs. It was then that we saw they had taken out an old pingpong table, volleyball nets, and random sofas along the pool area--to make it presentable for travelocity, we assumed.

Overall, when it came to the accommodations, you get what you pay for, which is not much. The all-inclusive dining experience at the restaurant definitely made our stay more pleasurable and less expensive. My friend and I ended up having a blast in Cabos San Lucas, but we definitely wouldn't stay at Solmar again.

Room Tip: Everyone says that the rooms furthest away from the hotel are the quietest, but I could still hear t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
luis a, General Manager at Solmar All Inclusive Resort & Beach Club, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear customer from Los Angeles, CA;
First of all I would like to apology due of the inconveniences you have experienced. Usually we allow our customers to check in at any time if the suites are available. Unfortunately when your friend arrived the housekeeper was still working therefore your friend was invited to use the facilities meanwhile. I have discussed all your concerns with the appropriate employees and measures have been taken to guarantee we work according with our standards and meet our customer’s expectations. I appreciate your visit and your comments. Sincerely
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We travel to Cabo several times a year and have stayed at Solmar in the past and enjoyed our stay. The quality and service level have declined dramatically. The room we booked and paid for prior to arrival for was not available at check in and we graciously accepted a different room. Two days later we were told we had to pack and move to a different room. We were there with a family member recovering from major surgery which made this normal inconvenience extremely challenging. The hotel staff was arrogant & rude and unwilling to work with us to find a resolution for their error. We lost a day of our vacation "moving". The hotel & facilities are old and dated. With the exception of a few great employees the service was lacking and at times non- existent. We will not return.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear customer from Las Vegas;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. I would like to offer you an apology due of the inconveniences you have experienced. I am completely sure this has been a misunderstanding. According to our records you agreed to be free upgraded considering the fact of moving because of the availability. Our intention was that you were as comfortable as possible due of the circumstances. We did not imagine that hosting you in to a Master Suite were going to cause you more inconvenience than satisfaction. I am sorry that we didn't meet your expectations on this visit. I will make sure that your feedback is shared with the rest of the team to ensure we handle things differently in the future. Respectfully; Luis A.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We have stayed at Solmar Beach Club and Grand Solmar many times and wish to give a special nod to Ruben Figueroa. Ruben is one of the gate guards for the combined resort grounds and has always been friendly and helpful. He helps us with our spanish, but we do not have to return the favor as his english is so good. He always greets us with a wave and a smile and represents his resort very well. This year a very unfortunate event occured on the beach and Ruben made himself available to a family member, accompanying him to the hospital, being his interpeter and overall trying to help this family in any way he could. This was done on his own time, carrying him well past his regular working hours, and were it me in that situation I know I would have greatly valued his help and caring attitude. We heard of what Ruben did from persons other than the staff, and this coupled with how truly genuine and openly friendly Ruben has been with us, we believe every word. Ruben represents the best of what we love about Cabo San Lucas, namely the friendly and open atmosphere, and level of excellence we receive at the Solmar Restorts, Grand Solmar, Solmar Beach Club, and Playa Grande. Thank you, Ruben, see you next year!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
luis a, General Manager at Solmar All Inclusive Resort & Beach Club, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear customer;
Thank you for taking the time to express the positive aspects from Ruben, it is rewarding to know we count with service ambassadors committed to the welfare of our guests willing to walk the extra mile to ensure a total satisfaction in a genuine and disinterested manner. Thanks again for letting us know. sincerely
Portland, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My wife and I spent our 25th anniversary at Solmar Beach and Resort. We were treated the best we have ever been by the entire staff. What a great place to go and relax. We would especially like to thank Vencente, Luis. Ernesto, Daniela, Cristina and Vanessa. Although the entire staff was wonderful, these 6 people made our stay the very best. We would recommend Solmar to any one looking for a beautiful place to vacation. The food was good, the drinks were wonderful and the service was spectacular. Thanks for making our trip special.

Dear customer from Portland, Texas;
We appreciate very much your kindly comments. It is rewarding to read that you have enjoyed your vacation and our staff has contributed to that. Thank you for having choosing our resort to spend such special occasion, we hope to have the opportunity to greet you here again as our guest, be assured that my staff and I will take the utmost care to make sure you're accommodated in everything you desire. Best regards!!
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I was unsure of how much I would enjoy this resort because the reviews appear to be all over the place. However, my two friends and I just got back last night from a five night stay at the Sol Mar, and we absolutely loved it! We used living social and got a great deal from this resort

Some things we loved:
-The staff is extremely helpful and kind.
-The resort is very clean and orderly.
-The resort is smaller in scale, and seems very intimate.
-The meals are delicious, some nights it was a buffet, sometimes you order off a menu
-The drinks are delicious, I suggest the mojitos and mango margaritas (they were not watered down and some were even a little too strong) (Also you can order doubles if you need more alcohol)
-At one point we had more friends join us at the resort, one of which is handicapped, and they graciously upgraded our room to a huge suite.
-It's a close walk into town (about 10 minutes)

Some things we would have made a little different:
-Construction is a bit annoying at first, but you get used to it quickly. It's not that obnoxious either, as long as you aren't all hoity toity about it.
-Wifi is not free. We paid for it several times during our stay, it's $3 for an hour or $6 for 4 hours
-We were hoping to get a massage, but they are very expensive. Something like $80 for half an hour
-Sometimes service in the restaurant was slow

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear customer from Denver Colorado;
Thank you very much for your sharing your experience with others. We are pleased to know that we have exceeded your expectations and you have enjoyed your "Living Social" program and its amenities. At the same time we are working to improve the aspects you are referring in order to ensure you a better experience in the future. Best regards!
Corpus Christi, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Solmar All Inclusive Resort and Beach Club turned out to be quite a jewel. It is a small, intimate resort, where all of the employees are attentive, friendly, and helpful. From check-in to check-out we were pleased with all aspects of the resort.

The resort and its location of being right on the beach on the Pacific side was absolutely beautiful. Our room, even though a little dated, was exceptional with a beautiful view. Martha, with housekeeping, did an outstanding job each day and even made me a huge birthday card on the dining table using coffee beans, colored rocks, and confetti. This came after the concierge (I wish I could remember her name!) overhead me mention my birthday in the lobby and she passed it on to housekeeping. The nightly turn down service was especially nice and the bed was very comfortable.

Estafan and Alejandro in the restaurant gave exceptional service and their interaction with all guests was very pleasant. Even though there is only 1 restaurant, 1 snack bar, and 1 sushi bar - we never lacked for a variety of foods to choose from. We stayed for 7 nights and enjoyed the pool with the swim up bar and the hot tub each day. The community restrooms close to the pool and lobby were attended to constantly and were absolutely spotless.

We visited 2 other larger sister resorts - and went back to Solmar feeling very glad that we were staying there instead of the larger places. If you like a quiet, beautiful, intimate resort then Solmar All Inclusive is for you. There is construction going on next door, but we couldn't hear it at all when in the room or the restaurant, and at the pool the construction noise was minimal.

The resort is a 5 minute walk to the marina and a 10 minute walk to downtown. If you need a taxi or shuttle, David, Andres, Juan, and Gerardo would take care of it and within 2-3 minutes they would arrive to pick us up. All-in-all this was the perfect place for us to celebrate our wedding and we are already recommending it to our friends.

Room Tip: We had a junior suite, on the second floor on the hill, which could sleep up to 4 people and had a f...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
luis a, General Manager at Solmar All Inclusive Resort & Beach Club, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Robin from Corpus Christi, Texas;
We appreciate very much for share your experience with others. It is our pleasure to read that you have enjoyed your vacation and the warm of our personnel. Certainly our resort offers to our customers a secluded location with such intimate atmosphere from the small resorts where everybody knows each other’s. It will be an honor to see you here again as our guest and have the opportunity to provide an even better experience. Best regards!!

Been to Solmar All Inclusive Resort & Beach Club? Share your experiences!