“Solmar Resort decent for the price” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Solmar All Inclusive Resort & Beach Club

Save Saved
You added Solmar All Inclusive Resort & Beach Club to your Saves list
Solmar All Inclusive Resort & Beach Club
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Solmar #1 | Col. Centro, Cabo San Lucas 23450, Mexico   |
Ranked #29 of 66 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Bellflower
“Solmar Resort decent for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband and I just returned from our 5 day trip. We purchased a living social deal to this resort (5 nights for 1,000). We also used mileage for our airfare - we were purposely trying to make this a very inexpensive trip. So, for the money, it was fine overall.
Front desk staff was very nice, almost zero pressure from the time share staff, wait staff in the restaurant were great, pool service - average. Maid service was fine. They upgraded us to a deluxe suite and it was very large with a big kitchen, big living room, two bathrooms, two balconies. The bed was quite comfortable... I slept very well! The bathtub was a trip... it was HUGE... like 8 people could fit in there... it was vast and a bit bizarre, but the water pressure was great, so whatever :)
The food was totally mediocre. One of my "beefs" with the place was the beef. :) The flank steak tasted kind of processed and chewy. AND they tried to pass off flank steak as filet. They also tried to pass off rib eye as filet at the Puerto San Lucas restaurant. Very disappointing. You get to utilize the Puerto San Lucas restaurant one time during the trip (it's a restaurant over by the sister property Playa Grande) but really it was horrible. Ambience was not like a fine dining establishment - did not feel comfortable and I did NOT care for the food at all. Back to Tejeban. Breakfast was the best meal - pretty consistent and yummy. It's too bad the food took so long though... personally I don't want to sit around for a 45 minute breakfast and you're forced to if you want to eat. The service really was great at the restaurant though.
The pool was ok. It was dead the whole time, even while spring break was going on, the pool was never full. Very quiet music - random styles, just not a fun pool. There was a swim up bar... sometimes the service was great, sometimes horrible. Sometimes the drinks were great, sometimes very watered down, pretty random. Seats were plentiful, which is a plus. The adult pool was even quieter,, like silent.
The only other all-inclusive we have gone to was the ME cancun (with the level experience) which is like way hipper, more interesting, just a much higher level of amenities, etc. BUT, that cost more than twice as much.
You get what you pay for to a degree. Also included in our package was a two for one to a cabo adventures excursion. We booked a luxury sailing adventure which was AWESOME! Great guides, saw whales, snorkeled, paddleboarded, great food and drinks. Exceptional excursion.
It was Easter so we went to church (there's an English speaking church downtown) - wasn't our cup of tea particularly, but they were friendly.
We also went to Cabo Wabo, Mango Deck, my husband went jet skiing, we walked around a bit, but we spent at least half our time at the hotel.
Oh, one more thing that I thought was very lame was that they were so intent upon selling time shares at the new property next door, Grand Solmar, you couldn't even walk on the property unless you agreed to a time share presentation. The restaurant on that property, La Roca, looked like it might be better than the food we'd had so far, so I asked if we could go there and pay full price and they said NO! We couldn't even have the pleasure of dining there!? Really? I think that's ridiculous. They just lost business... don't get that.
The guacamole was very good - and they put about a ton of cheese on everything.
We lucked out on the construction - being Easter weekend, they weren't working Thursday - Sunday, so the construction began Monday and Tuesday we left. It really wasn't super noisy. Worse up top, and barely could be heard down by the pool.
What else? it's just gorgeous there.. beautiful views - comfortable, long walk from the top hotel portion down to the pool/restaurant,,, but you need to walk a lot on vacation if you don't want to put on 5 lbs right? :)) The property is on the end of the little penninsula - by the arches - so it's more secluded in location. I liked that.. 10-15 walk to the marina... easy to get around. Oh, the RIDGE property is GORGEOUS! We sort of snuck in and looked around and it was beautiful... I would consider staying there.
I guess that's about it. For the money, it was a nice, relaxing, middle of the road getaway. Compared to our previous all-inclusive, it was lacking in several ways, but the service was excellent, basic needs were met, and we had fun overall :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
luis a, General Manager at Solmar All Inclusive Resort & Beach Club, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear customer from Bellflower, CA.;
Thank you for taking your time to share your experience with others. We appreciate very much your sincere opinion it help us very much to work in our areas of opportunity in order to meet our customers´ expectations. We are pleased to read that your purchased package has provided you additional unexpected benefits and it worth for you. Over all it is rewarding to know you have received an excellent customer service from our staff. Thank you again for your visit. Best regards!

706 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Victorville, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

To put things into perspective a little, I am a 24 year old woman who traveled to Cabo for the first time with my 29 year old boyfriend. Sure we like to party, but I was looking forward to this trip more for the relaxation it might offer due to the stress I have accumulated from my job. I purchased a Living Social voucher for a four night stay at Solmar in an all-inclusive junior suite that we redeemed March 28-April 1. Our trip could not have been more perfect! I truly have no complaints. Everyone was so friendly and I felt very comfortable and safe in our new surroundings.

Upon arriving, we were informed that we were being upgraded from a junior suite to a one bedroom suite! Although it was more than we needed (kitchen, living space, separate bedroom, two bathrooms, and two balconies), it was a pleasant surprise. The rooms are what I would expect to be somewhat antiquated in comparison to newer resorts, but nothing to be concerned with--all amenities were taken care of. As promised our fridge was stocked with two cokes, two sprites, two waters, and two tecates. So far, so good!

As we had had a long day, we quickly found our way down to Solmar's only, but very sufficient restaurant, Tejeban. To our surprise, Thursday night is seafood buffet night, so we helped ourselves to that instead of ordering off the menu. At the end of our meal, we were asked to sign our check, which we were forewarned about by the front desk. Throughout or stay, in the back of my mind, I kept thinking there would be a fat check waiting for us at checkout but no! All was well! Also, I believe I read that tips were included, so I never tipped while there--I started to second guess myself on the tipping, but we saw the same wait staff daily and everyone was still very friendly so I figured I was in the clear on that. Although there is only the one main restaurant on site, I never felt like my options were limited. There is also a sushi factory by the pool and an upper pool snack shack that offers more appetizer/ comfort food options like hot wings, nachos, and quesadillas. Also, we were informed that we could also eat at Puerto San Lucas as part of our all-incusive package but by reservation (we never made it there). I was very satisfied with the food and the options available. It was also great being able to take leftovers back to the room as if you want food after 10, you will be ordering room service at an additional charge.

Having never been to Cabo, both of our parents were very much concerned about safety. Where Solmar is located could not be more perfect when it comes to safety because it is located down its own private road, somewhat away from all the downtown partying. The upside though is that it is also a stone's throw away from the downtown Cabo area should you want to dapple in the bar scene or even shop for souvenirs. It is only about a 10-15 minute walk to the Marina where the tours take off from as well. Although you should not go in the ocean off Solmar, I found it to be a positive because it made the area much quieter and safer. You don't have random people walking around the beach area. Also, Solmar is a much smaller resort than others in the Cabo area when you look at how many rooms there are--this also provides for the much more peaceful and personable experience.

Although I keep mentioning that Solmar is not RIGHT in the middle of the action if you are going there to party, do not get me wrong--the parties are VERY close if that is what you are looking for. In fact, when it comes to who was staying at the resort, I would say a mix of people of all ages. You had families, true single spring breakers in groups, young couples, older couples--you name they had it, and everyone looked to be enjoying the resort in their own way.

One of the most amazing things to me is that even though there is only one restaurant and two pools, nothing was ever packed! I think their hours help to get people in at different times easing the traffic. I loved that we never had to wait to be seated or felt crowded in the pool area.

Only one thing to add about the nearby construction--because we arrived late on Thursday, woke up early on Friday for a ziplining adventure through Cabo Adventures, and left early Monday, the construction next door did not really affect our visit or sleep. I heard it slightly Monday morning around 7am as we were getting ready to head to the airport, but I don't think it would have awoken us.

I would definitely recommend Solmar to anyone because I can see how it could fit anyone's needs regardless of the varying reasons to visit Cabo!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear customer from Victorville, California, United States;
Thank you very much for your kind comments! We are glad to know that you have enjoyed your holiday and the resort amenities. Effectively our private location allows our guests to enjoy the tranquility and the beautiful views of the Pacific Ocean without being too far from downtown Cabo to enjoy the nightlife. I am happy to know that you enjoyed your upgraded suite and friendly service from our staff. We would be happy to greet you here again and provide you an even better experience. Best regards!
Thorne Bay, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We spent 6 weeks at Solmar Beach Club in Feb, and March. The service provided to us was excellent. Patty, the Activities Director at SBC was a great woman, looking to everyone's needs even outside her duties. She is wonderful. Several service providers bear mentioning also. Adrian, waiter at the pool bar, German, the groundskeeper, and Adreas a bellman, all deserve special recognition for taking such good care of us. Thanks so much. Harvey and Brenda McDonald

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Ms. and Mr. McDonald from Thorne Bay, Alaska;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! It gives us great pleasure to know that you have enjoyed your vacation with us and that during your stay of six weeks the service of our staff has excelled in order to make your vacation enjoyable. I shared your thoughts with the staff; they became happy to know that their efforts are well recognized. We hope to have the honor of your visit again; you can be assured that my staff and I will take the utmost care to make sure you're accommodated in everything you desire. Cordially.
Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Had an excellent time/great value...smaller resort/out of the way of most spring breakers...service at snack bar (jose luis, iriberto), at pool (vicente, gonzalo, anahi), and el tejaban restaurant (francisco, jose, raul) was fab, puerto san lucas-the restaurant down the hill is very good-be patient/slower than usual service...if you want loud, fast, lots of restaurants, excitement--this is the wrong place. Nice short walk down the hill to the marina...easy access to water taxis for a trip to medano beach. no problems getting lounge chairs at the pools...the fish and shrimp and (daily) sushi were delightful. Kitchenette is loaded if you're not on the AI plan/to save $. No vendors on nice long beach/surf is strong.

Room Tip: higher the better, closer to the big pool/beach-loud surf.
Dear customer from Las Vegas;
We are pleased to know that you have enjoyed your holiday with us and staff have contributed to make your vacation memorable. Thank you for your comments about the food and sushi I'm sure there were some dishes for tasting. I look forward to welcoming back on your next visit to Cabo; it will be a pleasure to host you. Cordially.
Boise
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

This was a last minute trip so the options were limited due to Spring break time. We chose Solmar because of the location, away from party marina. This is where the positives stop.
We reserved one bedroom suite with king, which was not available upon our arrival. After two days in a double Q room and multiple complaints, conversations and empty promises, we were in a proper room. It took us 3 days to get the Internet connection, after much frustration and more empty promises. All inclusive is an illusion as you get UPCHARGED for EVERYTHING! You sign a ticket for everything in hopes you will tip them every time.  Water - sign a ticket, coffee - another ticket ... Average meal 5-7 tickets.  Annoying but not nearly as bad as the meal itself.  It is rather unbelievable how TERRIBLE the FOOD is.  The service is RUDE and clueless.  Not one order was correct in 10 days. Speechless! The whole experience at Solmar made me SAD for the people, the food, and the culture of Mexico that we love.  The only saving grace is that "all inclusive" boing gave us the access to the Playa Grande, Solmar's sister resort.  We used their pools, gym, and we're happy to pay for decent food.  Shame! Shame! Shame Solmar!

Room Tip: Don't bother!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
luis a, General Manager at Solmar All Inclusive Resort & Beach Club, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Barbara H.;
I thank you for sharing your experience with us. I really am sorry not to have had the opportunity to fulfill your request of bedding since your registration to the Resort. We usually do our best to accommodate our customers according to their desires. I am glad to know our front desk manager could move you as soon as we had a suite according to your desire.

I am very ashamed to read we did not met your expectations on food and service at the restaurant; we will certainly work harder and smarter in order to meet our quality standard in benefit of our customers especially since our staff has been characterized by its friendliness and customer service.

Once again I appreciate your comments. I will be honored with your visit once again and have the opportunity to provide you an even better experience.

Respectfully;

Luis A.
Resident Manager
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

If you want to stay in a lovely location that still has the feeling of being in Mexico to it, try the Solmar Resort - the 'old' Solmar as some of us who have been staying there in past years call it! The staff is so friendly and helpful, everything is spotless, food is excellent and the setting can't be beat. You are able to sit on your balcony and watch whales, fish boats, the sunset and the incredible waves. It's a very short walk to the Marina but that slight distance results in a peaceful, quiet setting.Front desk manager Nicte-xa along with her staff are great, willing to do everything they can to make your stay what you want it to be. I have 9 more years left on my Solmar timeshare and I hope to be able to visit this 'old' location, as it is, for each of those years.

Room Tip: The higher up you go, the better the ocean view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
luis a, Manager at Solmar All Inclusive Resort & Beach Club, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Marilyn B. from Vancouver, Canada;
We are grateful for your visit and patronage along all this years. We are delighted to know you have enjoyed the Mexican atmosphere of the Resort, its secluded location and the friendliness of our personnel. Thank you for your comments regarding food, our chef cooks everything a la carte to guarantee freshness and good flavor. Our chef and our front desk manager will be happy to know you recognize the efforts they do to meet the needs of our customers.
It will be an honor to have your visit next season again, you can be sure we will keep the Resort as it is and in the best shape to host and serve you as you deserve.

Sincerely yours.
Luis A.
Resident manager
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

This was a very nice resort. I really enjoyed my stay here. I stayed for 6 days and it was very relaxing. Lounging by the pool was nice and the waiters were very attentive. The rest of the staff were so kind and friendly. The maid was awesome and always left our room spotless. A kitchenette also made it easy for making meals and storing drinks if we decided not to eat out. All-inclusive deals are available for $60/day.

Whales could also be seen right off the quiet beach right in front of the resort. If you are looking for lots of traffic and plenty of action this is NOT the resort for you. No peddlers where anywhere in sight. Located on the opposite side of Lover's Beach, Sol Mar offered plenty of privacy and a great view of the ocean. Morning walks on the beach were always nice and peaceful.

A little under a 10 min. walk can take you to the Marina and downtown for plenty of dining and mingling with the locals. My friend and I walked to eat and for clubbing with no problem. There is also about a 15-20 min. walk to get to Medano Beach and places like The Office and Mango Deck but a simple water taxi can return you closer to the resort.

Room Tip: Whale watching can be seen from upper leveled rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
luis a, Manager at Solmar All Inclusive Resort & Beach Club, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Vacay G. from Ashland, KY;
Thank you very much for your kindly comments, it is our pleasure to read that you have enjoyed your vacations and the secluded location of the resort as well as the kindness of our staff have contributed to that. It will be our pleasure to see you here again. Best regards!

Been to Solmar All Inclusive Resort & Beach Club? Share your experiences!