“Disappointed - less than honest” 1 of 5 stars

Type: Specialty Shops
Attraction Details
Kirkland, Washington
10 attraction reviews
“Disappointed - less than honest”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

This review is hard to get past being grossly overcharged on the exchange rate. First of all, many of the other reviews about tasting, variety, friendly, location, are all true.

This review is about trusting what they say. Don't know name, but person I dealt with is in the picture with the goatee. Told me they don't carry name brands as boutique makers are better - compared them to boutique wine makers. Hmmm. The last I tasted, Chateau St Michelle was pretty good for wine, and Casadores is pretty good for tequila. Maybe off brands are good so you can say what you want, charge what you want, and never really be compared or challenged. So here's my story. Take it for what it's worth and hold onto your wallet.

Found a nice bottle. When I asked price I heard and saw $39 (yes they show mexican peso price, but don't hand you a calculator). When they ran my visa they charged $585 pesos. So you all say - buyer beware. Sure, I should have paid more attention. But the friendliness is not about honesty. So I went back later in the day trying to fix the overage and was willing to pay in cash. When I returned, Marta was friendly and said, "when we run credit, we always use a 15 peso / $1 exchange." Well that friendly tidbit was missing from my discussion when I made the purchase (not with her). She then wandered over to the credit card machine and said maybe she could reverse the charge - nope! Ah, she said, let me try your card - fiddled a bit, but still nope! I think you get my drift here. This is a place I wouldn´t trust what they tell you. Yeah, it was only $10 they took me for, but at some point it also comes down to honesty. All I could do is walk out with my tequila - on the good side, it should be a good siping type.

Visited February 2011

Ottawa
5 attraction reviews
“Angel is great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

This is and I have to say the best place to get a tequila education and get the best prices around Cabo for Tequila as well as a beer from the ohhh soooo cold fridge!

My buddy Brad and I had stopped in to a few of the other shops around town and I was blown away by some of the prices...I was asking about some Gran Centenario Reserva at another shop in town just down from the Cabo Wabo one block down and to the left and they wanted $250 US for the bottle!!!!!!!!!

This kind of blew me away as I had just payed $185 US in Cancun in February, so I walked.

when I got to Angels he was there and greeted us and after some fun chat we got down to business.....after a few samples and a few pints I made my choice of 3

Cava de Oro very nice and a cool bottle with the EMERGENCY SHOT Stopper
Don Fremin AMAZING!!!!!
Provocacion Another amazing one!!!! 7 yr old!

As well he had the one I was looking at in the other shop for $190 not the other crazy price!

I recommend this place to all my friends going to Cabo and I think Angel told me he was opening one in Cancun!

Cheers!

Kevin

Visited October 2010
Saint Charles, Missouri
“The Blue Agave is Tequila 101 for connoiseurs.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2010

The Blue Agave is within walking distance of the marina where most cruise ships tender their passengers. Angel, the owner, is fluent in English, Spanish, and Tequila. Plan to spend 30 minutes or more talking to Angel and sampling a few Mexican tequilas that you can't get in America. Angel will explain the difference between reposado and anejo, not only telling you about the difference in flavor, but allowing you to taste the differences yourself. The education is superb, the tequila is better than you've ever had in America, and his shop is a must see when you visit Cabo San Lucas. By the way, his shop is wheelchair accessible, for which my wife and I were very grateful.

“True Tequila”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

Marta couldn't have been nicer and was very knowledgable about all tequila. Guided me through truly authentic non commercial tequila with a tasting of 10 different tequilas. And they weren't the most expensive but were based on my preferences. Best I've ever had. Walked out with 2 bottles, anjeo and a reposado, and I now wish I could find them in the states. My wife who doesn't drink tequila even tried one and couldn't believe how good it was. A must stop to experience authentic tequila.

New Jersey
3 attraction reviews
“The Serious Tequila Drinker MUST VISIT "Blue Agave"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

First of all Angel has a great location in the heart of downtown, a couple of doors away from El Squid Roe and across the street from the Hard Rock Cafe. In a couple of weeks, look for him on the far end of the marina where the cruise ships dock, near Senior Frogs. Angel is a great guy with a love for both Tequila and fine cigars, so he opened a shop that sells both. This is not for the shot crowd, but rather the person who really appreciates fine Tequila or who wants to learn all about Tequila. Angel knows his stuff and will tell you the truth about the brand you are interested in. He's not there just to sell you a high priced bottle of Tequila. Trust me, this is the place to sit down and relax while you make a good decision about your Tequila purchase without any pressure.
He also has a great selection of REAL Cuban cigars, not those counterfeit cigars the guys on the street try to sell you and he is very knowledgeable about cigars. If you like both cigars and tequila, sit back and have a smoke while you make friends with Angel. You'll be glad you did. I've known him for a couple of years now, and my trip to Cabo would not be complete with a visit with Angel at Blue Agave.