“Can't Wait to Go Back Again” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Camino Del Mar 1, Cabo San Lucas 23455, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 66 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Dallas, Texas
“Can't Wait to Go Back Again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

Once again, my stay was memorable. The property is amazing, the staff was friendly, courteous and gracious and the food and beverage service was excellent. Despite some windy days, we had an excellent time. Manuel, our major domo, was as always, helpful and friendly. Eddie, my favorite server at the hotel pool always takes the best care of us! And of course, the fishing trip arranged by the hotel was the best - the 50 pound marlin I caught made my day!!! Thanks to all for a great get away.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

My wife and I just returned from Capella celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and we couldn't have been more pleased with our choice of resorts. It was everything we could have imagined and more.

We opted to have the resort provide the transportation for us to and from the resort. Something I would hightly recommen. Once you have your luggage you fight through the crowds to find your driver waiting with cold water and treats. It's a relaxing 30 minute drive up the coast to the resort.

As you approach the tunnel to the resort you realize that you are leaving the chaos of Cabo. When we arrived at the resort we had our personal assistant and a bellmen waiting to assist us with check in. We never touched our bags and everyone knew us by name!

They were kind enough to upgrade to us a Capella room that was absolutely over the top. Spectacular ocean view, sitting area on the side with a fireplace. Huge bedroom area, spacious bathroom, (well appointed), with a tub overlooking the ocean and a rain shower next to it. The view was incredible and we spent every evening sitting in our plunge pool watching the sting rays jump.

Loved the fact that they had a small bottle of Don Julio with fresh limes and salt waiting for us as a welcoming gift. Nice touch. We also loved the chips, guac and Pacifico's delivered every afternoon.

We ate at two of the restaurants. Don Manuels for lunch. Great food, reasonably priced. A must is Farallon for dinner. The view and ambiance is second to none. My wife is not a huge seafood fan and she enjoyed everyone one of the dishes that they served. From the cevieche to the fresh catch of the day, that you pick out! A great experience.

The pool was wonderful. Cabana boys were always available with cold, bottled water, fresh towels and cocktails. Very peaceful and relaxing. Most of the guests get the fact that this isn't Squid Row. So take your shots in town. This resort is for relaxing and unwinding. Oh yeah, almost forgot the free foot rubs and shoulder rubs that are offered throughout the day. Along with free treats every couple of hours.

The spa experience was also over the top. My wife and I each decide on the 120 minute full body massage and we weren't disappointed. If you are into spas you can't miss this one.

We did head into Cabo one night to wonder around the marina and we wished we'd never left the resort and our plunge pool!

We travel extensively around the world and I would say that this is one of the best resorts that we've ever stayed at. I would highly recommed it to anyone.

Waco, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

This was my second trip back to Capella Pedregal and it was equally as nice as my first trip. The setting is beautiful and extremely relaxing. We stayed ina 3 bedroom residence. Perfectly appointed. Had a majordomo that took good care of us. Private plunge pool. Service is second to none. Made us feel at home and made our trip very personalized.
Going back in October.

I have also been snow skiing at Capella Telluride. It too was great experience. First rate company.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Bay Area, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

My husband and I go to Cabo about once per year. We've stayed at Esperanza, Las Ventanas, and Palmilla a number of times - so we've covered most of the 5 star places that Capella competes with. It holds it's own well, but it misses the mark here and there.

Where Capella holds it's own:

Location: really cool. We were at first thrown by the fact that it's a 5 min walk to the town of Cabo. We usually avoid the noisy downtown. But the hotel is on the backside of a huge stone mountain through which they blasted a 300 yard tunnel. The tunnel is lined with chandeliers and torches. Very cool and romantic. Once you cross through the tunnel, you enter a peaceful and beautiful resort leaving the other world behind. The only reason I can't give the location 5 stars is that the Pacific side can be very windy and the ocean is too dangerous to even walk near it. During July the wind mostly benefited us, but at times people take cover.

Rooms: we stayed in a Deluxe Ocean View with a dipping pool. It was gorgeous, spacious, well appointed, contemporary . . . on par with a 5 star place. All the rooms have amazing views, and they are close enough to the water that you can feel the waves hit the beach. We also liked the fact that our patio/pool space was shielded from the wind. At times we would simply hang out there versus one of the pool areas. There are also lovely gardens, sculptures and grassy areas among the rooms as well. in some ways, we liked our room and views better than the more expensive rooms at Esperanza and Las Ventanas. The landscaping is more lush and green, and we felt closer to the ocean.

Service: The people there try to meet and exceed all expectations. They were fantastic. Friendly and accommodating without being intrusive.

Food: Good to great. Breakfast is awesome. Some people claim it's expensive. Compared to some hotels, maybe, but compared to Palmilla? Not at all. Much more affordable than comparable resorts. Wine list needs work, though.

Spa: top notch! A++

Needs some work:

Pools: In some places, the pool areas feel a bit stark and some seating is a bit too close together. They need to find a way to give guests a bit more elbow room between loungers. Also, we love kids, but the vibe of the hotel is very sexy and relaxing - not hugely kid friendly - but they have villas/condos on site, so kids are here and there. There are three pools. I think at least one of them should be specifically designated for play versus quiet lounging.

And we think the "quiet pool" rules should apply to adults as well! We had one afternoon spoiled by eight Jersey Shore types who descended on the pool, ordered shots, cranked up music on their cell phone and began whooping it up in the pool like they were on Spring Break. Seriously? One by one, the couples who'd been reading and cuddling by the pool that day, got up and fled. The staff seemed helpless to the situation. When we spoke to management at checkout about the one marred afternoon, we were met with a frown and a shrug of the shoulders. Mercifully we never saw those guests before or after that afternoon.

Overall: We'd recommend it, will likely return some time, and give it 4.5 stars.

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

This place is absolutely beautiful. Individual plunge pools cant be beat. Fantastic setting. The shower and tub are lovely, and we spent a memorable evening huddled around our individual outdoor fireplace.
The 'extras' make you feel really special: hotel brings by fresh made guacamole and salsa with beers every afternoon, tequila tasting in your room, and water and fans by the pool.

The only thing that left us a bit miffed was the room service bill was TWICE what it should have been; and when we complained, the waiter asked us to produce the menu where we had ordered from, instead of politely offering to fix the bill.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Placerville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

We stayed a week in a Deluxe Ocean view room with a plunge pool. Loved the room and the pool and views were spectacular. First day we arrived there was no water, but they did comp us a couple bottles of wine. Dinner at El Farallon was fabulous, but be prepared to pay a lot. The surf and views were worth it, but we passed on a second meal there. The signature restaurant was excellent everytime we ate there. Poolside service was good, but room service was spotty. We had to ask for additional hangers three times and finally gave up on being able to hang all our clothes. Turn-down service was about 60% so several times we did not get additional water. The spa was wonderful! Had a couples massage there and one of their signature Moon treatments that left me like a noodle. Fabulous! We liked the location so close to the marina, yet very secure. All in all, it was a wonderful hotel, but they do need to upgrade some of their service.

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

My husband and my immediate family just stayed 7 nights at Capella. I must say, we had INCREDIBLE service-the first 2 days we were there... We were in one of the time-share, 4-bedroom condos, and we had a personal assistant, Pepe. He was incredible the first 2 days we were there. He showed up before 9 AM, made us margaritas and guacamole in the afternoon, and catered to our every needs. He even did laundry for 9!! But, as the days went on and the novelty wore off, Pepe started slacking on his attentiveness to us. He was supposed to come in between 8:30 and 9 every morning, and on average, came in about 9:05 every day-except for the last day, when he didn't show up until almost 11:30 in the morning (we left at 12:45, was there really any need for him to show up at all?).
But, like I said in the headline, the views were incredible!! The location, outstanding! We were like 5 minutes from downtown, by cab ($2 US dollar/head), and everything was at your fingertips-like Medano beach! SO great, as long as you miss the cruise ships docking! Cabo is not known for being able to get into the water and swim around like in Cancun-the undertow is deadly, and there are only certain places on the peninsula that you can swim/surf/jet-ski/kayak/etc. and Medano is a really good one! We went jet skiing for a half hour ($50/ski) and luckily enough, we saw Manta Rays flying out of the water, next to a Carnival Cruise ship-a ONCE IN A LIFETIME adventure and it was A-MAZING!!! But, as for food at Medano Beach, you MUST go to THE OFFICE!!! Sooooooooo good!!!! We had just gone to Tequila Sunrise, in Todos Santos (where the Eagle wrote Hotel California) and had Shrimp Chile Rellenos (house specialty), and The Office gave them a SERIOUS run for their money!! I ate a triple cheese chile relleno there, and I was in heaven!!!! SO GOOD!! A must in Cabo!!! :o)
Anyhoo. I tend to digress... Cabo was fantastic, and Capella was great, but I feel like this: for a brand-new resort (less than a year and a half) the plunge pools were lacking in up-keep (tiles falling off, minute details overlooked), the service-not only (gradually) lacking, but SUPER SLOW as well (or maybe they just weren't well-equiped for a party of 9)! The resort just seemed to be missing a certain "something." I'm not sure what, but for the price, I would just expect a little bit MORE.
On another note: The golf cart drivers were great (it's a hike for those people needed some special service)! My mom needed the service, because she is older and had joint issues, so I'm not belittling anyone who needs additional help, I'm just stating a fact. The golf cart drivers were pretty spot-on. Some times they weren't exactly readily at hand, but within 5 minutes of your golf cart request.
The resort and location are beautiful. I simply don't think it is worth the money for the resort. My husband and I (boyfriend at the time) stayed at the Marquis Los Cabos last year for 3 days and the service was IMPECCABLE!!!! You already have a $35/day charge added to your room stay, and everyone acts like they are at your beck-and0call! The service is completely outstanding and no one is mean/slow/irritable/lacking in detail/etc. I would like to end this note by saying this: If i were to go back to Cabo again, I would stay at the Marquis Los Cabos, in a regular room, for the price and location (and lack of water entry) of the accommodation. I think the service at the Marquis was far superior and I think that it will be my next choice of stay when booking my next vacation in Cabo! :o)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Capella Pedregal? Share your experiences!