“One of the Best in the world!” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Camino Del Mar 1, Cabo San Lucas 23455, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 66 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Sausalito, California
“One of the Best in the world!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

From the moment you drive through the chandeliered tunnel and arrive in the open air lobby, you know you're in for something very special. Our room was spacious and beautifully appointed. The piece de resistance was the infinity soaking pool on our terrace facing the sea. The beauty of the property is matched by the quality of service...friendly, efficient and extremely accommodating. We were greeted by our very own personal assistant upon arrival, who was there throughout our stay to make sure everything was perfect. The variety and quality of food service was outstanding.
One of the nicest surprises was the perfect temperature we experienced in June. The sea breezes are so cooling, we probably will return later in the summer.
We are counting on many return visits to The Capella.
Sue & Chris W.

Room Tip: Facing the sea is always nice, and I believe most rooms do.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
CapellaManagement, Manager at Capella Pedregal, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Dear Sue Chris W,

Thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful review. All of us are so pleased to learn that you enjoyed your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back once again in the very near future.

John Volponi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
Mountain View, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

This was our second trip to Cabo; last time we stayed at Esperanza. With Capella costing even more, we expected something at least on par, but it was not. The property is very nice, but there are simply too many flaws to justify this price point. So many I have to write a list:

- Noise. Deafening AC in room. Noisy spa equipment for the plunge pool. Rooms have a lock-off door which admits the screams of partying neighbors and babies. After we asked them to intervene and they (graciously) offered to change our room, we found that other rooms are near another resort which blasts pop music over their pool area starting at noon and ending at 11PM, audible inside the room and very loud out on the patio. We didn't lose sleep over that, but made the whole experience much less relaxing.

- Dirty. Our patio cushions were visibly soiled, and some were filthy on the back. Tiny bugs invaded the unit from every corner looking for a snack. Biting no-see-ums are also present -- we should have guessed this when we saw the can of bug repellant they provide in the rooms.

- Crowded. Couldn't get a spot at the pool in the afternoon. Had to wait for a spot to sit at breakfast. At check-in they said they were at 70% capacity, I'd hate to see what 100% looks like!

- Service was friendly but not always that helpful. We would go to the pool and stand around for a while several times, nobody coming to help us out. On one occasion, we had to ask several guys to move come cushions from another nearby pool so we could sit.

- Beach. Not private and no seating out there. There are no vendors at least, but there are people walking by.

- Attention to detail in the room. Sudden rainstorm -- no umbrellas to be found -- a classier place would have them already at the room or delivered without asking. Some days a newspaper was delivered, sometimes not. Fruit left in the room was not fresh. Some days ice was left in the room (awesome!), some days not.

On the plus side:

- The food was uniformly very good. Expensive, which is to be expected. Surprisingly, the cliffside restaurant was basically the same price as Don Manuel's, and tastier. Room service was only very slightly more expensive than the same dishes at the restaurant, and also very good.

- Walking to town is easy (~10 minutes to the marina, less if you get a ride on a golf cart through the tunnel), if you want to do that.

Room Tip: You don't want to be near the neighboring resort, even facing away from it. Super loud music pl...
Dear Paul E,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent visit. I apologize that all was not perfect with your visit. I have taken note of each of your comments and reviewed them with our staff, as you are correct that these deficiencies should not happen.

I regret that the sudden rainstorm that we experienced last week caught you and us by surprise. It was totally unexpected, and caused a few problem during the morning hours, however, was pleased that our staff was quickly able to return things to normal after the storm passed. The unfortunate part of any storm in this area is that is does tend to stir up various insects from their natural habitats and we take steps to curb the effect with various non-invasive fumigation.

Once again, thank you for your visit, and on behalf of the entire team, please accept my apologies for the lapses in service that you experienced. We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back on a future visit.

Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

My family and friends travel yearly to Cabo in July. We have stayed in private homes, at the Esperanza, Las Ventanas al Paraiso, and the Villa Cortez at the One & Only Palmilla. We could not book the Villa Cortez this year so we were directed to Capella Pedregal by our travel agent. We were not sure we could expected the luxury and service that the Villa Cortez offered but we were wrong. Sorry Ernie, you still are tied for greatest in my book. The beachfront 2 and 3 bedroom villas we stayed in were superb. We had each meal on the 3 bedroom veranda and it went off without a hitch. The beach front location is ideal and very different from where we had stayed in the past. From the moment we arrived at the airport until we returned to the airport every event was pre-planned and well orchestrated by the Capella staff. Patrick was our personal assistant during our trip. Perla was our catering manager. Marco was the director of food and beverages and Yvan is the head chef. Each of these very talented individuals spoke with me personally and ensured everything to do with our stay was perfect and it truly was. The butlers for the villas were Richardo and Raymundo. There can be no better personalized service delivered than was done by these 2 gentlemen. Our group of 13 never was in need of anything because these 2 and their assistants were always ready. Yvan's food selections and preparation are as good as any 5-6 star restaurant in the world. His food is the best I have had during my many stays in Cabo. Finally, the Capella representative who I worked closely with to design our stay was Shirley D. Hanks from Dallas. She was thorough, detailed, complete, and wonderful to work with for trip planning. If you are in the DFW area and plan to go to Capella you should use Shirley to make your trip perfect. There is no exaggeration in my review. Our stay was the best we have every done in Cabo and we will return in the near future. On a scale of 10 for rooms, food, spa, activities, and responsiveness to your needs, the Capella Pedregal is a 20.

Room Tip: The beach front 2 and 3 room villas are the best in Cabo.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Jack G
It was a real pleasure to have you and your family with us for your holiday weekend. All the staff enjoyed working with you in completing the details of your visit, and we definitely look forward to welcoming you and your family back on many future occasions.

While I appreciate your recognizing all the various individuals, I especially appreciate your very kind recognition of Ricardo and Raymundo, out butlers for our Beach Front Villas. They very much enjoyed helping you and your family during your visit.

Thank you for choosing to experience Capella Pedregal with your family. We await you next visit!

phila
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Beautiful,beautiful property.Service is amazing. Rooms are fabulous.Our view from building 2 which overlooked both pool and ocean was breath taking. The staff goes above and beyond to make sure your stay is perfect. The pool staff worked so hard to make sure you have everything you need. Patrick our personal assistant went over the top to make sure our anniversary was special! It was a spectacular trip with great memories,loved everything about Capella !!

Dear Buddy PHila,

Thank you for your very enthusiastic review. We were all so pleased to learn that you enjoyed your visit and that you have some wonderful memories of your experience here at Capella Pedregal.

On behalf of Patrick and the rest of the team, thank you for your visit. We all look forward to the next opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We just got back from celebrating our 10 year anniversary at Capella and it was worth every penny. This place emphasizes service, comfort and luxury. The staff is the best and work hard to make your stay enjoyable and seamless. There's no over the top pandering just an unobtrusive seamless helpfulness. The room is amazing, the pics are accurate, the personal pool is awesome, the amenities are top notch and the food on site is delicious. The breakfast buffet at Don Manuel's is worth getting as part of your package. I could go on forever but believe the great reviews. We will be back.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Heidi A

Thank you for choosing to spend your 10th anniversary with us at Capella Pedregal. We are so pleased to learn that we were able to pamper you a bit and create a wonderful memory for this special occasion.

Thank you as well for sharing your wonderful comments and suggestions with our Trip Advisor followers. We appreciate your support and look forward to the chance to welcome you back for another celebration or special getaway.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I wish I could award fractional stars. You can read the other the reviews and see how magnificent the hotel grounds are, how great the staff is and what a great experience a private plunge pool is to have...but...having come back for a second time. From the time you go though the tunnel and to the welcoming Margarita to the goodbye sugar cookies you'll enjoy your stay.

Still, some things are bugging me...cold beer for one. I was unable to get a truly cold beer my whole stay until I went to the Happy Ending in town. Now, that's a long way to go for a cold beer. Such an easy thing to fix. Not that it stopped me from drinking lots of them. (Try the local craft brews, especially the local IPA). But I always was wishing it was colder.

The room tequila is not as smooth as the tequila they offered last year. But for those that mix their tequila, I'm sure it's fine. But if you're a sipper, you probably want to make the walk into town and pick some up.

But that's about all I can fault the Hotel with.

Get up in the morning and eat the great breakfast, served with cheer and style. Drop your towel on a palapa and have Diego or Omar greet you like an honored family friend. Sip beer. Sip cocktails. Order lunch by the pool. Waddle to your room. Get in your private plunge pool overlooking the Pacific. Sip a beverage and watch the boats sail by. Go to dinner at Don Miguel and stay for the music. Go to dinner at El Farallon for the crazy great view of the ocean rocks. Wander back to your room through the torch-lit grounds. Fall asleep listening to the sounds of the waves. Paradise.

Yes, this is how the 1% live. It's a don't miss hotel. It's my second stay and I'm already planning my third.

Room Tip: Get a room with a plunge pool.
Dear V Patui,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and to share your comments. I was so pleased to learn that you enjoyed your visit and are already planning your third visit!

I have passed along your comments about the cold beer to our Food and Beverage Manager. We generally serve the beers in a bucket of ice, however, admittedly, with the warm temperatures of Cabo, they can warm up quickly. We are already working on some ideas to overcome this problem.

We did change tequila this year to a special “Family Reserva” tequila from Jose Cuervo. This is a tequila that was reserved only for the Cuervo family for many years, however, they have just recently released it to us to share with our guests. When making your plans to return next time, please remind us that you prefer the Don Julio, as it would be a pleasure to ensure that we provide you with the tequila that you prefer.

Thank you once again for your visit. We a look forward to welcoming you back for your third visit in the near future.

San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My husband and I celebrated our fifth wedding anniversary at Capella this past weekend. We knew to expect swanky and nothing short of luxury and it really did live up to everything we thought and hoped it would be. Not only did the staff go above and beyond for our anniversary, but the service is exceptional in every way. By the end of our trip we were greeted by name by different staff members. Our room was amazing, we even had a bit of a problem with our room the first night and we were please with how well the office manager, Alex, handled our situation. We left our second day there to eat in Cabo. We decided after that experience* that we didn't need to leave the hotel again. The food was delicious at each of the hotels. I had the pleasure to enjoy the spa on my third day there and I must recommend any guest to do this. Their spa is by far the best spa I have ever been to. It, like the hotel, was above and beyond my expectations. My only warning is that if getting in the ocean is important to you, July is not a good time to stay on the pacific side of Cabo. You could not get in the water. However, we were very content to walk on the beach and lounge at the pool, which is so close to the water you don't really miss the beach. This did not diminish our trip in any way. I only have the best things to say about Capella. It is truly one of a kind!

Dear Emily C
Thank you for choosing to spend your fifth anniversary with us at Capella Pedregal. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit and have some very special memories of this special occasion.

Thank you for your recognition of Alex, our Front Office Manager, I am so pleased that he was able to assist you so that you could thoroughly enjoy your visit.

We all very much appreciate your kind and wonderful comments and thank you for taking the time to share them with our Trip Advisor readers.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another special occasion or just another relaxing get awary.

John Volponi

Been to Capella Pedregal? Share your experiences!