“Capella vs Esperanza vs Las Ventanas” 5 of 5 stars

The Resort at Pedregal / Capella Pedregal
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Camino Del Mar 1, Cabo San Lucas 23455, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 66 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Tucson, Arizona
“Capella vs Esperanza vs Las Ventanas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

I just returned from a mostly stellar stay at Capella Pedregal. Capella is a worthy rival to Palmilla, Esperanza and Las Ventanas. I haven't stayed at Palmilla but it compares favorably to the others. Capella's rooms are hard to beat: huge, comfortable and stylish. Service was unfailingly friendly and helpful, as it is at the other resorts. The beach is the most walkable of the three, and at least on my visit, was very breezy, which is an advantage in the summer. In winter the corridor might be more comfortable.

Capella's spot on the Pacific is lovely but doesn't come close to the natural beauty of Esperanza's more rugged setting. Even though Esperanza's beach is pebbly and small, it has tidepools that are fun to explore. Las Ventanas' beach is wide but unremarkable. Las Ventanas is the most architecturally beautiful of the three, and possibly the most relaxing, but it borders on being austere and museum-like. Capella is more convivial. The pool area is long and winds along the beach. I found the party crowd at one end to be a bit loud and fled to the mostly-deserted kids' pool.

I can't imagine having a bad experience at any of the three resorts but I would give Capella the edge in comfort, food, modern facilities and proximity to attractions. That said, the other two seem more authentically Mexican and have a bit more soul.

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

This really is a 5 star hotel, but there were too many hiccups plus one major flaw which soured my review. We most certainly would like to come back some day and have that 5 star experience which I know they can pull off.

1. Booking processed: 2/10 (Web site booking process did not work and I had to call their call center to complete the reservation)

2. Pre arrival communication: 2/10 (Our personal assistant did not contact us until after I tweeted Cappella.)

3. Airport Transfer: 0/0 (We booked Cabo Transfers which was half the price of the hotel pick up service.)

4. Hotel Arrival: 10/10 (Our rooms was not ready, but they gave us a complimentary lunch at Don Manuel’s which more than made up for the room not being ready.)

5. Don Manuel’s: 8/10 (Food and service are very good.)

6. Beach Club: 8/10 (Same as above. Their gazpacho was the best thing I ate on our trip to Cabo that was filled with really good food.)

7. El Fallaron: 9/10 (Food, service and views are great, but I could do without the salt water spray.)

8. Pool: 9/10 (Service, food and drinks at the pool are great, but they need heavier bases for their umbrellas as we saw a couple of them dangerously blow over.)

9. Beach: 0/0 (Beach was closed due to repairs, but not that big of a deal because the ocean waves are too strong to swim. Plus the pool is right there and much nicer than any beach.)

10. Room #1: 0/10 (Our first night was spent in the cappella suite #26. The room is very big and nicely decorated, but the view was not that great due to palm trees blocking the view. The outdoor terrace pool was nice, but it was too hot. There was also another separate area with a hammock. The major flaw with this room is there is a lot of foot traffic going by this ground floor unit which can see into the room from many different angles plus the outdoor terrace has no privacy what so ever. From the indoor bathroom shower you can see people walking by and them you. This needs to be addressed in a major way by Cappella. We talked to the hotel about switching rooms which they could not do till the next day.)

11. Room #2: 9/10 (We moved to room #25 and wow what a view. It commands one of the best possible views on the property and is very private. There are two terraces attached to this unit, one with a massive fire pit which we used every night and one with an infinity pool that overlooked the pacific. Only hiccup here was the pool on the terrace was not heated which took a service man to fix.)

12. Location: 10/10 (Perfect combination of the desert, rocks and the raw hypnotic power of the ocean waves. The town of Cabo is very walkable and the buggy ride back and forth through the tunnel helps in that endeavor.)

13. Service: 10/10 (Everyone was great and very responsive)

Room Tip: Cappella suite #26 is great
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

Gorgeous property! Wonderful staff! The attention to details were amazing! From the grounds maintenance to the spotlessly clean room and perfect meals, services that were thoughtfully provided before we had to ask. Amazing! Best spa experience! Delicious dinning! Loved the daily complimentary 4:00 p.m. chips, guacamole, salsa and Coronas service. The cookies upon departure were a treat and the personal assistance at the airport for our return trip home was the icing on the cake! We breezed through the ticket counter and security.

• Stayed May 2014
CapellaManagement, Manager at The Resort at Pedregal / Capella Pedregal, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear Rh1n0
Thank you for taking the time to share your review of your visit to Capella Pedregal. I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit and so many of the services and amenities that we are able to provide.

We have a wonderful relationship with the VIP Lounge at the Cabo airport which enables us to provide you with the extra airport service and attention upon departure. We are glad that we could help make your departure just a little easier!

Thank you for choosing Capella Pedregal. All of us look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back once again during a future trip to Cabo.

Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

This place was incredible. The view from the room was perfect. The private plunge pool was amazing. Loved the infinity pool on the beach. Everything about the resort was amazing. The people and the services were fine, but no where near the level promised. More on that...

I have since stayed at the Capella Ixtapa resort. They don't come close to Pedregal as far as location and beauty, but as far as service, they were unsurpassed.

Our driver picked us up at the airport and called in our welcome drink order...no welcome drink upon arrival. Our personal concierge had zero recommendations as far as things we should see and do while we were there. We talked to another concierge that was there one day and he handed us a couple brochures...laziness in my opinion. Our afternoon drink/chip service was nice, until I stayed at Ixtapa. They offer you different daily choices...I requested a different special margarita every day of my trip and my boyfriend had beer. This choice was not mentioned at Pedregal and we both loved having the option.

The restaurants at Pedregal were amazing and even eating breakfast at the resort every morning never got boring.

The resort does have a kids pool and we were very disappointed when they allowed a family with a screaming child and a baby in diapers to swim in the adult pool. When we complained, they offered to give us an order of nachos. I didn't want nachos, I wanted peace and quiet. Management did not take care of the problem.

Room Tip: Our room was third level right next to the El Farallon restaurant and I loved the privacy.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sheabens
Thank you for your kind comments in your review about Capella Pedregal as well as for your compliments and recommendation about our sister resort, Capella Ixtapa.

I also appreciate your suggestions that you have made for how we can continue to improve our resort. We truly value your thoughts and suggestions and continue to look for ways that we can further enhance and improve our hotel and the services offered. Your experience with the child in the adult’s pool is unacceptable, and I have taken the time to address your comments with our pool team so that they can better respond should they encounter this situation in the future.

Thank you for choosing Capella Pedregal for your vacation. I hope to be able to welcome you back during a future visit to Cabo.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

My wife and I returned from Capella last week we spent 5 days and this is a outstanding resort. I usually lean on Trip Advisor for places to stay. So when we looked this place up and it was ranked #1 in Cabo and all the reviews were excellent it made us want to book.

Our personal assistant Reynolds was great he made dinner reservations for us every night a few weeks prior to our visit. The hotel offers 2 nice restaurants for dinner. El Farron and Don Manuels . El Farron is outside located right over the Pacific Ocean so your dinning while looking over to the Ocean and you get to see and hear the waves. Seafood is unreal and so fresh. Don Manuels also offers lunch and breakfast. The lunch is fabulous the breakfast was about aveage.

All rooms have an ocean view. We were upgraded to a 2 Bedroom Suite when we arrived. Most rooms have a infinity pool located on the balcony which is heated. From the service to the rooms this hotel gets it right in every way, It is a little pricey but you get what you pay for. We will be back soon.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Wally D
Thank you for taking the time to post your review after your visit to Capella Pedregal. I am so pleased that Reynolds and the rest of the team were able to make your visit so special and personal.

Thank you for your recommendations of El Farallon and Don Manuel’s Restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you and your wife back on your next trip to Cabo.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

This place is great without a doubt paradise. The service provided is fantastic. I would give this a higher rating then 5 but thats the limit. Would come back any day for a another wonderful vaction with the family.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Jim A
Thank you for sharing your comments with our Trip Advisor community. All of us were so pleased to learn that you enjoyed your visit.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you and your family back sometime in the near future.

Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

Lets just get it out of the way early why I didnt give this place 4 stars

1) 4 days of a backhoe pushing sand around the beach with 1 days notice to guests, virtually shutting down the south pool and overcrowding the north
2) the Umbrellas....its windy on the pacific....and if its too windy, the staff lowers ALL umbrellas so they dont topple over. Problem is....everyone is then exposed to the VERY potent sunshine. I tried to put my umbrella back up ( winds werent that bad) and the pool waiter told me if i do... " I am liable for any injury to any guest" Ok....didnt know the pool staff had jurisdiction over my legal remifications towards other pool guests. My suggestion GET BETTER UMBRELLAS WITH HEAVIER BASES!!
3) Wedding guests: there was a wedding the weekend we stayed here....and the wedding party AND all their non Capella staying guests, enjoyed the pool , pool bar etc and were loud for an entire day. Hey....if they want to bring their guests, they should have to spend $1000 a night to drink at the pool just like I did.

Overall, the grounds are immaculate. The staff is courteous, though you need to stay on top of the PA's as they do not verify much with you in terms of reservations.

Excellent location. Stay closer to the El Farralon restaurant side of the resort for less noise and more privacy. Top floor rooms really are the way to go.

Also, make sure you bring small $1 bills for cab fare. anywhere you go is $25 and they never have change for a 2 $20s...so you end up paying a lot more.

Great resort, impecible surroundings and weather, but is not up to Four Seaons service.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Ohio Travel 26
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and comments here on Trip Advisor. I do apologize that the backhoe disturbed your visit. A recent tropical storm had caused the waves to push a great deal of sand up against the beach side pools which had to be removed to avoid any intrusion of sand into the pools which would have necessitated closing the pools down entirely. We attempted to complete this work as quickly as possible and I regret that this overshadowed your experience.

I would agree with you that our staff could have relayed their concerns about the umbrellas in a different manner and have reviewed your comments with them so that can have a better response in the future. Being situated alongside the Pacific Ocean, when it is windy or stormy, we can get surprised by gusts of wind that can topple umbrellas and obviously be dangerous. This is a rare occurrence and we usually find that the bases are adequate for most situations, except of the periods of exceptionally strong wind gusts. Your safety is important to us as is the safety of our other guests, so I hope that you will forgive us for being somewhat cautious.

Thank you for your visit. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back once again during a future visit to Cabo.

John Volponi

Been to The Resort at Pedregal / Capella Pedregal? Share your experiences!