“Just the spa” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 66 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
SF bay area
“Just the spa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I spent an afternoon at the spa with a couple girlfriends, but did not overnight at the property. I booked a moon phase treatment and even though the moon was "waning" at the time, I was able to have the "waxing moon" treatment. The facilities are excellent (steam, sauna, ice, plunge pool, outdoor co-ed pool, etc.) and the therapists are very good. We enjoyed a post-treatment snack at the outdoor pool area in our robes - bliss.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
CapellaManagement, General Manager at The Resort at Pedregal / Capella Pedregal, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Busy Mom,
Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful review of our Auriga Spa at Capella Pedregal. We were so pleased to learn that you enjoyed your relaxing Moon treatment.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future for another relaxing treatment.

John Volponi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

Have stayed as las ventanas many times as well as one and only palmilla and several of the all inclusives. Las ventanas is my goto property in cabo with myo fiancé and it was closed for renovations. Amex centurion travel suggested Capella Pedregal and palmilla as an alternative. Since we had been to pal ills figured I would give Capella Pedregal a shot as it was in the same price range (actually a little cheaper).

So things that were great:
Property is gorgeous, room was great, views were stunning. Got upgraded to a 3 bedroom... Sounds great but since was only my fiancé and I it was not really something we could utilize or appreciate. Spa was great and gym was awesome! Don Manuel's was consistently excellent for bfast and dinner and el farron was an amazing experience (service was a bit slow but food was amazing and location was breathtaking). Reservations are tough to get but half the tables were empty which I have heard in other reviews...

Service in general at the resort was just ok. Maybe they were just off their game that week but pool side service was a joke... I felt like I always had to hunt someone down to order a diet coke or ask for water. Getting chairs poolside for 2 was a hassle... Like I was at a Hyatt in maui at spring break... Had to get up early to go down and reserve chairs or they were all gone. Was that way every day which was a bit strange for a supposed 5 star. Ironically I don't think the resort was full... The most surprising thing was the party environment that went on a couple of the nights... There were a couple of groups of folks that were partying on their balconies in their plunge pools drinking and blasting music and being very loud until about midnight. Seemed very out of place for a 5 star... Seemed like a fraternity party in a 5 star setting. I was really shocked no one from management shut it down.

All in all we had a good time but it is by far my least impressive experience at a 5 star here in cabo by a long shot. I would for sure go to las ventanas, palmilla or Esperanza before I went back to Capella Pedregal.

If you are ever in cabo eat at el farron!

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Dman
Thank you for taking the time to post your review after your recent visit to Capella Pedregal. I was pleased to see that there were so many things about the resort that you truly enjoyed including our restaurants and our spa. El Farallon is a very popular restaurant, and due to the timing of the service and the size of the kitchen set out on the cliff, we do have to pace our reservations to ensure that service and attention can be given to each diner.

I was disappointed to note that you felt the pool service was lacking. Usually, this is one of the highlights of the guest experience. I truly apologize for the lack of attention that you felt you experienced and have reviewed your comments with our pool service team. We are in the process of securing additional large teak chaise lounges for the pool to supplement the number of pool chairs that we have around the pool area.

Thank you once again for your review, both the positive points, as well as those areas that we can improve. We hope to be able to welcome you back once again in the future to showcase our efforts at continuous improvement.

New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Just returned from 5 nights at Capella, I'm impressed.
We opted for the "escape to Capella" package at the time of booking, and I'm glad we did. Transportation to and from the airport was included in the price, as well as daily breakfast.
We were greeted outside of the airport by a pleasant gentlemen from Capella who took our luggage and guided us to an Escalade. Cool towels, treats, and water were waiting inside the vehicle. From this point on, Capella never missed a beat.
Our personal assistant greeted us on arrival to the hotel with margaritas, this was a nice touch.
Check in was a breeze. No stopping at a desk, we were taken on a brief tour of the grounds with drinks in hand, then directly to our room in building 1. We came to learn that this was the quiet side of the resort, and we were pleased with this.
Every need you could possibly dream up is anticipated and met.
ROOM: Comfortable feather bed and pillows, fireplace in every room. Minibar stocked with coke, diet coke, water and juice. This is complimentary. Bathrooms boast large dual showerheads with rain shower, separate soaking tub, large bath sheets, bathrobes, bubble bath, large mirror, 2 sinks. Beautiful stone and tile work in the bathroom!
The plunge pool, which is not a jacuzzi or heated, was nice. The outdoor space was comfortable, we sat on the patio in the evenings before dinner, read, and watched boats passing by with binoculars provided in each room.
HOUSEKEEPING: beautiful job. We were very pleased with maid service. They ask for preference of times for morning cleaning and evening turndown service. We always had fresh linens, towels. Special surprises with turndown service every night, completely elegant, nothing tacky.
DINING: Don Manuel's for breakfast was delicious fresh buffet style, but not your typical. Eggs, pancakes, waffles are cooked to order. Fresh pasteries, breads, and a juice bar were available as well. Just lovely without crowds of people scooping from troughs of food. Pool bar was awesome. Drinks, ceviches, and pool snacks were yummy. We also tried El Farrallon which we enjoyed, and I reviewed separately. Room service menu was same as Don Manuel's and was equally as delicious as eating in the restaurant. We did not get to try Beach club.
SPA: Absolutely amazing. I had New Moon phase treatment, hubby had 90 minute massage. This is the nicest spa we have ever been too, even better than Ritz and Wynn! My treatment and treatment room were amazing, overlooking the spa pool. Small touches throughout the spa like the foot therapy room, special tea based on moon phase, the ice room etc. add to the luxurious expeerience. (I could go on all day about the spa, it's a must! I don't want to ruin all the little surprises.)
POOL: Spectacular views from both infinity pools. Pool chairs are comfy with umbrellas. I couldn't help feeling a bit anxious in the morning about getting out of bed and getting to the pool to save a cushy chair. There aren't enough of the large cushioned chairs to accomodate everyone, so people were out there at like 8am saving chairs. This is annoying. Special treats served by the pool during the day seemed to make up for it. The pool guys are awesome, great service, Mitchell and Claude are the only names I remember, but they are all good and anticipate your needs...
GROUNDS: Well kept, groomed. Fire pits and candles everywhere! Pictures do not do this place justice. You can't swim in the ocean because it's so rough, you can actually see the rip tide pulling from the shoreline. But, the sand and beach are nice to walk.
LOCATION: In walking distance to Marina and town. Golf carts at Capella drive you through the long tunnel to entrance of hotel, so your walk to town is much shorter. Though you are so close to town, the resort is secluded by the moutainside it was built into which gives it a secluded and exclusive feel.
MANAGEMENT: Leadership is definitely present in this resort. We were able to meet the general manager, head PA, and food and beverage manager at the cocktail party which is held on Tuesdays. We saw these guys several times a day making rounds on the property. This is impressive and did not go unnoticed.
SERVICE: Outstanding all around without being obtrusive. Employees always smiling. I never carried a towel or a plate of food. Never adjusted my own umbrella or moved an empty glass. I always had everything I needed (and I'm a needy person). PAs were helpful without being overbearing. POOL GUYS ARE AWESOME!
PRICES: Here is the catch. This place is expensive!!! But, you do not need to be rich to visit this place (as stated by others), just well planned. There is a 15% service charge and 11% tax on everything, I mean EVERYTHING, you purchase at Capella, including food, drinks, spa services. So your $13 mixed drink at the pool is actually $16.38 no matter what. Ok, I get the taxes, that's unavoidable, but what if I wasn't happy with the sevice, too bad. Still, I was fine with this because the service was superior.
So, here is my only grievance- the sucker punch! There is a 15% service charge as well as an 11% tax added to your room rate per night. So yes, after I was charged the nightly rate, an extra $105 and $77 was tagged on to each night. I thought this was way out there, and am accustomed to 11% hotel service charge plus tax at most. So prepare yourself for this.
Overall, the total experience was one of the best, if not the best we've ever had. Everything from to china and glassware to the service, to the OFF spray in the room are thought out, beautiful, and make this place unique. I will not let high prices deter my return, it just raises my expectations for my next visit and I know it is worth it. Service, hotel condition, quality of food and spa services should be well maintained at this customer cost.

Room Tip: Buildings 1 and 2 are quiet, farther from the family pools.
Dear BRNurse
Thank you for taking the time to write such a long and wonderful review. I appreciate how you seem to have hit every highlight of the resort! All of us here at Capella Pedregal are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit. Your positive comments are a real motivation for us to continuously seek new ways to surprise and delight our guests.

I have also noted your comments, and the comments of other reviewers about the pool chairs. I want you and the other members of our Trip Advisor community to know that we have new teak chaise lounge chairs on the way and will soon have additional seating in our pool areas.

Once again, thank you for your wonderful comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the very near future.

Best regards,
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Incredible service from the moment you arrive until you leave. Stayed in a 3 bedroom, 3.5 bath villa that had 2 patios and 2 plunge pools. The décor is 'glamorous rustic', perfect for a week of relaxation. The majordomo service is excellent, besides making excellent fresh meals, there was always a pitcher of margaritas, in perfectly chilled and salted glasses, waiting for us along with guacamole and salsa. A quick walk down the beach takes you to the back side of the arch with incredible rock formations. The fishing yacht was fun, but no fish were biting that morning. Highly recommend this hotel.

Dear karengrudzinski
Thank you for posting such a wonderful review after your visit to Capella Pedregal. I am so pleased to note your visit as well as the extra touches and service that our Majordomo was able to provide.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Capella Pedregal in the very near future.

Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

The key takeaway about Capella is that if you are visiting Cabo and money is not a concern, then do yourself a favor and stay here. That being said, let me provide you some valuable tips so that you can make the most of your visit...
1) MOST IMPORTANTLY -- If you are a couple looking for a private, cozy room with an amazing view, then be sure to request an ocean view room on one of the UPPER floors, or even better (if its available) one of the private suites that look directly onto the ocean to each side of the main pool area. This request is very important because my understanding is that even though each of the 66 rooms at Capella have the plunge pool with ocean view, NOT every room has the same level of privacy. Some rooms have basically no privacy for the balcony/plunge pool area - either because they are first floor, poolside, or exposed to neighbors. If you want a more private location, be sure to ask for it. Then again, if you want to party with neighbors, then be sure to request a room which has a balcony/outdoor area that is poolside - some of the suites have amazing outdoor areas that are basically right beside the pools and really close to the beachcomber bar. It's all what you are looking for
2) Yes, Capella is expensive. There is no getting around it. However, if you can afford it, you will not be disappointed. I was there with a group of 20+ and to a person everybody said this was the nicest place they had ever stayed. My wife and I agreed. You cannot beat the view of the ocean from pretty much anywhere on the property - from the moment you arrive, the OUTDOOR lobby area overlooks the ocean, all the eateries overlook the ocean, the spa does so too, and of course the view from your room (assuming you get an upper floor) has one of the most gorgeous views you will ever see. Breathtaking.
3) A possible money saving tip - ask if you can get breakfast included with your room rate. this is a regular special there and the breakfast buffet at Don Manuel's is amazing - besides cooked to order hot foods, the variety of local fruit is awesome, and the fresh smoothies/juices really good. Just be sure to ask for still water and not order bottled water because that is extra. if you follow this tip, your breakfast bill will be $0!
4) Auriga Spa - I have a separate review of this but the quick tip here is that the spa is fantastic and I would suggest you get at least one treatment. They have some packages that offer 2-3 hours of multiple treatments - they are good but kind of long. Just opt for 1-2 hours at most and enjoy all the extras that you get as part of the spa package.
5) I have separate reviews for Don Manuel's, El Farellon, and Beachcomber -- all are good but pricey
6) The kids pool is next to Beachcombers - it's ok but nothing special. The main adult pool is by Don Manuel's - good pool bar and amazing infiniti pool -- this is the place to be
7) SERVICE - we were all amazed at the fantastic service at Capella. The ratio of staff to guest is like 3-1. There was always somebody there to help and they were all so friendly.
8) Extra's - each day around 4 you will come back to the room to find complimentary chips/guac and 2 coronitas (small coronas) - very cool. You also get a welcome bottle of tequila.
9) SWIMMING - this is NOT the place to stay if you want to swim at the beach or go surfing, etc. You cannot swim at the Capella beach - the rip current is too dangerous. You can only swim at the pools at this resort. This did not matter to us but if that's a concern, then choose a different hotel in Cabo
10) You will be amazed that they were able to build this hotel into the side of the mountain - we still don't know how they did it!
11) Airport to Hotel - Capella will pick you up and drive you from airport to hotel (and vice versa). It's about a 45 minute ride as Capella is basically at the very southern tip of Cabo.
12) FAMILY - request the 2 bedroom suites - it's huge. You will get a kitchen with dishwasher and large fridge, laundry with full size units, dining room table, living room + tv, large master, giant master bath, powder room, large closet, upstairs with double beds and large bath, and 3 balcony areas, plus a plunge pool. These are not usually in private locations but if you are with a family that probably doesnt matter as much. Easy to enjoy yourself here!

BOTTOM LINE - this was totally amazing and we can't wait to return. Cheers!

Room Tip: upper floor = private lower floors = party
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Thehelpfuldad

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and wonderful review for all the readers in our Trip Advisor community. I loved your “bottom line” comment. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

It starts at the gate when they ask you how you would like your welcome drink made "salt or no salt"? Then you drive through a tunnel lit by chandeliers and torches on the side and emerge onto an exquisite property. We didn't have to even turn the car off before we had drinks in our hands and were given a quick tour of the grounds and shown our room (no checking in at the front desk with credit cards and passports). The staff is exceptional and put all of our luggage away as we soaked in the view from our private infinity pool directly overlooking the ocean. Even though it is expensive they really go above and beyond with extras. A few to mention- Bottle of Tequila in room with fresh cut limes and salt, apples and nuts, coffee, water, juices and sodas stocked daily, delivered complementary guacamole chips and corona to the room, massages and special treats pool side throughout the day as well as a cold bucket of waters, and sangria every evening by the front desk... Tennis is also free with good rackets and beautiful views of the marina. The gym is fantastic and has a room where there is a big screen to do a spin class or yoga to name a few. It is an easy walk into town or if you are feeling adventurous you can walk down the beach and climb the rocks over to lovers cove. I absolutely recommend you stay here

Dear Jilland Scott
Thank you for your wonderful review of Capella Pedregal. I am so pleased that you enjoyed so many of our extra touches and surprises. All of us very much appreciate your kind comments and for choosing to stay at Capella Pedregal.

We look forward to welcoming you back once again in the very near future.

Best regards,

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

This was my first time to Cabo and I was so impressed! This resort is stunning! Every small detail was beautiful from the tiles in the sidewalk to the colorful drinks and beautiful views. The prices were steep but you are paying for the attention to detail and fabulous customer service. The spa is divine! We had a 3 bedroom villa complete with a major domo. The resort is in walking distance from downtown Cabo but you'll need a cab if you go anywhere past the marina.

Room Tip: Building 7 is the farthest away so requires the most walking. However, it is very close to the chil...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Resort at Pedregal / Capella Pedregal? Share your experiences!