“pure luxury” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 66 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Paradise Valley, Arizona, United States
“pure luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

It was one of the best hotels we ever stayed in. Not a single fault to be found with this place.
Our whole family [3 generations} loved it. Easy access to Cabo and habor for an evening stroll
on the bay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Capella Pedregal is a beautiful resort. First things first; the rooms are AMAZING!! I mean, its pretty hard to beat a gigantic infinity edge plunge pool overlooking the ocean in the STANDARD rooms? how luxurious is that!?! That is a luxury that most resorts will charge double for. So they really have a heads up on the competition with that one! I also love the nespresso machine in the room....nice touch Capella! (I loved the nespresso machine so much, i bought one when i got home!) The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was huge and gorgeous, and the fireplace in the room was so cozy, we used it every night!

We have the package where breakfast at Don Manuel's was included everyday. If you have that option, definitely do it. It was quite the spread. It was kind of like a buffet, but every thing hot was made to order, and brought out to you. So you didn't have to stand there and stare at the omelet guy while he prepared your eggs. You just placed your order with him, and then you could go grab your own fruit, breads, granola, yogurt, sweet rolls, etc. and then go sit down and they bring it out your hot food when ready. The juice station was a nice touch too!

The pools are gorgeous. We had no problem getting a lounge chair, but I don't think they were at full capacity. It was breezy most days, and I am not sure if it is always like that because of where the hotel is located on the Pacific. But it was sunny most days, so the breeze was really relaxing and welcome. They have pool staff who are very helpful, and will bring you drinks and food right off the menu to your lounge chair. We previously stayed at Las Ventanas, and their pool service was completely over the top . Capella isn't quite up to that level, but you will not want for anything here either. My suggestion would be for them to keep the pool butlers out from behind the bar area, so they would be more available for the guests on the lounge chairs.

We ate at El Farallon for dinner on our last night. AMAZING!!!! You have to go eat there for one of the most beautiful, romantic, unique, delicious and special evenings you will ever have! Its not even that expensive considering how stunning it is. Worth every penny!

My only criticism of this resort is as follows; Maybe its because we had just come from Las Ventanas, so are expectations were very high, but I felt that the level of service was just not as impressive. The manager greeted us when we arrived, but never asked us how our stay was. He even walked right by us as we were about to leave for the airport, and he didn't even stop to thank us or say goodbye. It would have been nice to have been acknowledged. The waiters at the restaurants and the pools staff were incredibly gracious and friendly and some did remember our names and greeted us daily. I just wish the management would have done the same. Its such a simple gesture that would have meant a lot to us. I am being a little picky, but that is really the only negative I can think of.

This place is expensive, but not any more than you would expect to pay at a fine resort. $15 margaritas, $20-$40 entrees for lunch, and $40-$80 entrees for dinner. Worth every penny. I would definitely stay here again, and the proximity to town is a BIG plus! We walked in to town several days, and ate some delicious meals. We also went to the spa for massages and it was really amazing and gorgeous!

I cant imagine anyone having a bad time at this resort! It is really amazing, and I would for sure go back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
FashionTravelNYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I am always impressed when I go back to a hotel and it is just as good as the first time...The Capella does not disappoint.

I so wish they had said "welcome back"...I feel a resort should know if they are having return clients, especially if it's within the year.

Our room was better then last time, so close to the ocean the sounds of the waves crashing against the rocks could have been feet away. Service is always impeccable. Mario at Dan Manuel remembered us from our previous trip in 2012, I love that!

Dinner at El Farallon was the BEST, the view, service and meal were top notch.

Love the Capella and look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was our 3rd time to Capella in the last 16 months and they continue to excel as a top shelf (pun intended) hotel. It's such a unique experience compared to the other 5 stars in Cabo. It's not a small property but the way it's set up gives it a very intimate vibe. Now if you're the kind of traveler that likes to stay on the property then Palmilla and Ventanas are just fine, but we like to go in town and the drive back to those properties will put you asleep after dinner and drinks. At Capella you're literally a few minutes from the action and the difference maker for us. That and the guys at the pool. They make it so special for us. We like to try our pitiful spanish and they're so willing to help us along regardless of how poor students we are. The food at the pool bar is great they've added a sushi bar since our last visit and it's so good!!!!.
Look Capella is expensive but so are all of the 5stars in Cabo. They do offer promotions all the time and if you eat in town at some of the locals' favorites, you can really save some money if that's a concern.
I can't think of another hotel I've been at anywhere (the only exception being maybe the Bellair) that has better service than Capella Pedregal.
Another selling point this trip was being able to watch the whales breach the water from our private plunge pool with the binoculars provided by the hotel.
I will say that if you have Verizon wireless don't expect a consistent signal. It's fine once you get into town but on the property it's spotty at best. All the other carriers didn't have a problem at all, but that's a Verizon issue not a Capella problem.
We love love love this property and will be there again and again. Thank you Joaquin, Gino, Sammy, Eddie, Jaime, and the rest of the guys for making it special once again.
I

Room Tip: We like to be by the pool so we can see what's going on while we're having the complimentary...
vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We had never been to Cabo San Lucas before. We had 4 days after a business trip in Vegas before we met our family in Disney so thought we would try out Cabo since it was so close. We were met at the airport by the Capella driver who gave us a guided tour on the 40 min drive to the hotel....bonus!

When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by hotel staff and our personal concierge as well as welcome margaritas; I am 56 years old and this was my first margarita ...delicious!

After a tour of the hotel we were taken to our room which was beautiful and felt very exotic just right for that feeling of 'holiday'.

We went each day to the gym and they have great equipment as well as rooms off the gym if you feel like doing personal yoga or other training.

The beach is long and the sand is great with no problem walking barefoot along the whole length. When we were there the whales were around and they could be seen easily while walking along the beach as well as from our room! I was watching them from the gym while I was on the treadmill.

They provide lounge chairs around the pool as well as on the beach and the staff is quick to bring towels and bottled water in ice buckets.

They also bring to your room around 4 pm each day corn chips guacamole and fresh salsa with two mini corona beers. Unexpected treat!

The food was great at all the restaurants and we tried them all. We had breakfast included in our package and it really left nothing to be desired. The breakfast buffet had everything you could ever want and plenty of it; fruit, fresh squeezed fruit and vegetable juices, fresh cooked eggs, cheeses, breads and sweets, yoghurt and cereals. I love hot sauce and the first day I was there they brought me several different types until I got it as hot as I liked it and from that time on no matter which restaurant I ate in on the resort they had hot sauce for me! For me that is a nice personal touch thats a great way to make someone feel pampered and special.

We wanted Italian food for Valentines day, the concierge recommended Capo San Giovanni's Mari e Monti for us and we enjoyed the classic italian dishes (eggplant parm, scampi, and pasta) that were very tasty..... live music in an outdoor garden that really was picture perfect.

My only complaint is an air conditioning unit that was on top of our room made a really loud humming noise. The staff was great and came up to find out what the problem was and when he turned off the unit the noise stopped. He left it off for us since it was not a very hot time of year but when I go back I will make sure that I dont have a room with an air conditioner on top.

It was a great 4 days and I would highly recommend Capella Pedregal and I am already planning to back again very soon!

Room Tip: the reason I put average for sleep quality was the noisy air conditioning unit above our room. Bed...
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

The Capella Pedregal is a unique hotel, in that it is very secluded but a few minutes by foot from the Marina and downtown. The property is beautiful. The color of the buildings against the blue sky is enthralling!

From the moment you arrive at the airport and are picked up by your car, the service is superb.
It seems as though your every need is anticipated by staff. Sometimes it can be overwhelming.
If you call the desk for anything, the response is immediate. The waiters are always at your ready (except for our last breakfast, where, for some reason we became invisible and didn't even get water or coffee).

The food is very good at the breakfast buffet, at the Beach Cafe and at Don Manuel's . We had a very disappointing meal at El Farallon. I wish the Beach Cafe stayed open later than 5, because it is great for a casual dinner. Don Manuel's every night is too much and we were disappointed in the food at the restaurants we tried in town.

The negatives (and there were some) were that our room was very dark and the toilet was problematic. We also had only one chair in our room. In retrospect I should have asked for another room or at least another a chair! My bad. We had a few nights with very noisy neighbors who woke us up several times, and one guest was walking around with a cigar each day at the pool, but most of the guests were there to relax and enjoy the ambience and service.

Tipping is stressful. I was never sure when to tip. The resort charges a 15% service fee, which comes to $150 plus per day depending on your room. A 15% tip is added to restaurant bills and spa services. What we did was add a little extra for the waiters, tip the maid each day, tip the bellman and gave our concierge a small tip when we left. We assumed that the service fee goes to staff, but I am not sure. If anyone has any ideas, please elucidate!

Finally, we chose to pay $30 each for the VIP room at the airport. It is a small lounge and they have complementary drinks, sandwiches and salads. We did not know about the food, so,we ate lunch before leaving hotel. Anyway, a rep of Capella meets you at the airport, takes your bags, escorts you through check in, escorts you through security, and the takes you to the VIP room and checks you in. Frankly the process was humiliating! It would have been better had we been given some sort of voucher to use rather than be treated like incompetent morons. Using the room was a good idea because there is not enough seating at the gates and people were sitting on the floor. They need to fix that procedure.

Texarkana, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I'm trying to be objective so you know that I'm being truthful... honestly there were no downsides to this resort. Yes we had a loud neighbor one night and the price makes it pretty exclusive but the location, staff, city, ease of travel... everything about it was wonderful. If you want to just relax... this is the place!
Thanks Capella Pedregal!
Ben M

Room Tip: If you are looking for more privacy.. ask for a room that is on level 2 or higher... but really you...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Capella Pedregal? Share your experiences!