“Simply the best” 5 of 5 stars

Escape to Pedregal Luxury
Ranked #1 of 65 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
“Simply the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

This is the first review I've written but I felt compelled to write this. Upon arrival in a brand new stretch escalade, we were greeted by nearly ten people waiting for us. My girlfriend and I were handed margaritas as we stepped out of the vehicle. The general manager of the hotel (who would ask us how our stay was going nearly ten more times) said hello as did the residences manager and staff. We were walked to our room which was beautifully decorated and had a view of the pool and the beach/ocean.

We headed straight to the pool where we met "Angel"- one of the kindest and hardest working young men we have ever encountered. He made our trip feel like every dollar we spent was worth it. This man is intuitive enough and hard working enough to be running the hotel. Luckily, for at least some time, guests of Capella get the treat of having him wait on them. We remarked that we wouldn't be surprised if "Angel" gets offered a lot of money to come work for a guest who happens to own another hotel.

The pool was the perfect size, not too crowded. The pool food was excellent. And honestly, we ate at Edith's and Market at Palmilla and the food at Capella was far better. There really is no reason to leave this hotel.

A couple other notes-

- Try the fishing trip for a half day. We saw whales, dolphins, sea lions, and caught plenty of fish. When we got back to the hotel, Angel and the staff made sure our fish was prepared fresh by the head chef!

- the spa is among the best in the world. The experience was noteworthy.

- it was clear everyone staying at Capella was very wealthy but people were friendly for the most part. The beach and pool can be as private as you like it to be. If you like to socialize there is plenty of that, but if you wish to be left alone, that's easy.

Overall, I spent over six thousand dollars in four days on this trip and if I'd been told it was double, I would have paid double. I'm coming back next year and every year after until someone finds some place better.

• Stayed December 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
Sherman, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for our honeymoon about a year and half ago, and we couldn't have been happier with our choice. Everything was just perfect - we even ran into Will Smith a few times. Quite simply, it's my favorite place I've ever stayed and I've been borderline-obsessing over it ever since. I've told everyone who was remotely interested in Cabo how amazing this place was - the rooms, the food, the service, the pools, the spa, the attention to detail, the afternoon snacks, etc. And I was beginning to think I had built it up in my mind so much that I must be exaggerating, so I couldn't wait to go back. Well, we just got back from a Christmas trip to Cabo (although we stayed in a villa in Pedregal this time) and I HAD to pay a visit to Capella to check it out again. I sent my mother to the spa as a Christmas gift so she could experience what we did on our honeymoon (she was raving about it all week - "the best massage and spa experience I've ever had!") and we went to eat as a family at Don Manuel's for dinner on Christmas Eve... and I have to say, it was just as incredible as I remembered it. The gate attendant, waiters, and everyone else at the resort greeted us by name (even though we weren't staying at the resort), the whole place was beautifully decorated with lights for Christmas, the food and drinks were AMAZING once again (try the Guava Margarita), and even though dinner lasted a leisurely 2-3 hours there was absolutely no rush to make us leave our table (again, even though we were not staying there). El Farallon is a must for a romantic seafood dinner at sunset, but Don Manuel's menu is fantastic if you are looking for something other than the day's fresh catch. Every single thing we ordered was delicious, and the atmosphere is second to none. Although we didn't get to experience one of my favorite things about the resort - the suites with their plunge pools - this short visit reaffirmed my view that this truly is one of the finest resorts in the world. The ONLY thing I could possibly complain about is the expensive price tag, but if you're looking for an experience that you won't soon forget then it's worth every penny. I cannot recommend Capella Pedregal highly enough.

Room Tip: Every room is great, but if you're staying in a "normal" suite (by this I mean anythin...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
BURLINGTON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

This resort is one of the best I have ever stayed at in all my travels. The place is kept very nice, and the hotel is beautiful. The staff are awesome and are there for all your needs.

The hotel is right on the south end of the Cabo San Lucas, right on the Pacific Ocean. You have to enter through a 300 foot tunnel through solid rock to get to the resort, very impressive.

The beach is only for looking at , you cannot swim in the ocean due to the very dangerous tides that dominate this part of Mexico, so if you want to swim in the ocean, you will have to go to another beach, there are lots, or swim in the pools.

There are great restaurants on site, especially the seafood restaurant on the northern most part of the resort, great food, watching the Mexican Sunset on the Pacific.

Saw lots of Whales jumping out of the water just off shore, and this is always nice to see.

Overall, a great place to spend a week.

Room Tip: All the rooms in this resort are top quality, regardless of location.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

You have got to stay here! On the way over they offered snacks and water, followed by a "tour" of town on the way to the hotel, and upon arrival, alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. We then met our personal assistant and someone took us up to our room in Vistamar 3. The bedroom was a little small, but the HUGE bathroom and balcony with a private plunge pool made up for it. Food is good, but not many vegetarian options. There are several pools, none chlorine or salt, and the beach is very nice. You can take a golf cart through the tunnel, then walk just a few blocks into town. Staff are very attentive, but pool side service lacks a little. Overall, a great resort!

• Stayed December 2011
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

OK, I must say I´ve always been a bit hesitant going to Cabo... The usual image of being with a pile of margarita drinkers and teenagers on the beach. This was not the case at all for me at Capella Pedregal.

PROS
- Outstanding service: flawless check in (even shadowing St Regis standards!); great attention to detail with your first and last name. Great personalisation features when sharing information with you and always remembering you by your name
- Excellent food and location: restaurant and breakfast were just perfect
- Lovely rooms (we stayed in a suite) and the room was impeccable all the time and clean.
- Extremely nice spa and staff: we had several massages and mani pedis
- Extremely well equipped gym with latest technogym machines as well as a large fitness studio. Personal trainers were also available.
- Stillness and tranquility: it was heaven!

CONS
- Dont expect to have a sandy beach to swim (a wee bit dangerous) but the hotel pools are lovely.
- Prices could be on the high end but this is a top class resort and you will not feel ripped off with the quality

Overall, I want to get back whenever possible!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Culver City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

There's not a lot to say that hasn't already been said. This truly is a wonderful place. I went here with mi amor two weeks ago and we had a magical time. Location is fantastic since you can easily walk to town although the fact that the beach is non-swimmable is a drag. We had dinner at El Farallon the first night. It is very expensive but the food is amazing. We don't do something like that very often so its ok. I had the swordfish which is my favorite and I've eaten it all over the world; in the Mediterranean, the US, Europe & Asia. If its fresh I will order it. This was the best swordfish I've ever had, bar none. The service is fantastic here. My wife had a Mexican white wine that was out of this world. $40 for a half bottle but wow! She ordered the parrot fish which she liked but wasn't over the moon about it. Speaking of the moon - there was one that night. Spectacular location and view. Not to be missed.

My minor niggles are: what's up with the coffee at breakfast? For $5 one expects a premium blend. This tasted like a downmarket Columbian. The breakfast itself is also expensive but in my opinion, unlike El Farallon, not worth it. $16 for an omelet, $18 for huevos rancheros is a lot of money and should be amazing; it wasn't. Very ordinary but a fantastic location! At $30 we gave the buffet breakfast a miss.

We were in a Capella room - fabulous without a doubt. Bathroom fantastic. Fabulous view. Complementary bottle of Don Julio in the room was a very nice touch. However - the bed was surprisingly uncomfortable. I had a back ache every morning. Your mileage may vary but I expected something at least as good as a Westin Heavenly bed... nope.

Our veranda overlooked the roof of beachfront suite and since the weather was so nice we turned off the AC upon arrival and left our sliding glass door open all night to hear the crashing waves and experience the perfect night air. Unfortunately there were AC units on top of that roof and they cycled on and off all night long. Not a very pleasant sound in the middle of the night. We had to close the sliding glass door. Too bad. I don't even think anyone was staying in that unit. Maybe I should have said something. Oh well.

Everything else was top notch. Get better beds, coffee and upgrade the food at breakfast and I would rate it a AAA+!

Room Tip: There are only 66 rooms and it would be hard I think to get a bad room here: If you can spring for a...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

I picked this hotel because each room has its own plunge pool and the hotel has a cliff-side restaurant and its own tunnel. When we arrived, it was indeed a very impressive hotel. The room is beautiful. We just stayed at an ocean view room. We needed to climb some stairs to get to our building. However, we had a better view because our room was higher relative to other buildings. Also, it meant that we won't get any noise from the children pool or music from the restaurants. We ate the El Farallon and it was just so romantic to hear the crashing waves while eating dinner. The tunnel was also so beautiful at night. We usually walked back at night and the tunnel was lit up by torches and at the end of the tunnel, a tree was decorated with all the Christmas lights (like a tree of life!)

We enjoyed our quiet moments in the main pool. We were lucky that there was no noisy guests in the pool. However, on our last day, there were some noisy guests (middle-aged people but thought they were in Spring Break) who played their own iPod country music and became more rowdy after more drinks. Other guests (like couples who just wanted romantic and quiet atmosphere) were slightly annoyed by these. We just left the pool and went back to our room to use our plunge pool. I think for a high end resort, they should separate the guests who want party central and guests who want a romantic getaway. Last year, we stayed at the Four Seasons Maui and the resort provides a tranquility pool which is catered for quiet adult guests.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Resort at Pedregal? Share your experiences!