“Great vacation location!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 66 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Bartlett, Illinois
“Great vacation location!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stayed at Montecristo with three other couples and can't wait to go back. The villa was perfect with an amazing view! We could wake up every morning and enjoy our own personal infinity pool that overlooks the ocean. It was outstanding. The staff was great. The maids kept the villa very clean. The concierge took care of any issues we had. We had no worries the entire week we were there and simply enjoyed a nice relaxing vacation!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

217 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
NS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We are just back from a week at Montecristo. Wow! The views are amazing over looking the Pacific side of Cabo. The infinity pool is great place to relax and enjoy your days. We where in 3 bedroom unit with 3 couples. The units are laid out terrifically and very spacious. The units have all the essentials for cooking, laundry, bbq etc. if need anything room service is very quick and happy to help you out. The units come with full housekeeping daily and this service was spectular( Eloisa) ensured our unit was spotless daily. We also had a personal conceirge (karen Rameriez) this was a great touch as she answered and booked all of our outings, lunches , and diners. Thank you Karen. I would highly recommend getting a chef in for an evening. This was one of our best meals of the week. You also have accesses to all of the Pueblo resorts, and they make it very easy to charge all expenses back to your master bill. I would not hesitate to return to this property.

Room Tip: We really enjoyed Phase one . The best views on site!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

Stayed with 7 family members over the Thanksgiving holiday. This is our 7th vacation to Montecristo but first time in a 4 bedroom. Very beautiful with great views. Would suggest rental cars to get around since you are located away from the other resorts. They have shuttle services but I have found they are not that convenient. I have always enjoyed giving this place great reviews but....

First the concerns: We decided to do the All
inclusive(AI) since we have done this before for a partial wk and it worked well. We purchased our AI in March. I would not suggest the AI unless you plan on drinking alot. Yes we drink alot if you include all the mango smoothies for the kids. The AI changed approximately 2 months ago. It is more expensive($95/day for adults $105 for non-owners). Fellini's is an extra $10 fee and Lafridas is a $20 fee. Yes, Lafridas is now included. Room service is no longer included. The issue we had is that we purchased before the changes took place. We had to fight to have rm service included with our AI. They ultimately honored our rm service AI but we had to prove we had paid in full before the changes went into effect. Our concierge Celestino was excellent in helping us thru this process and we give him high praises for his service throughout our stay. We don't plan on doing the AI in the future. The lack of rm service being included was the deciding factor.

We have eaten at both Fellini's and LaFridas many times in the past and loved it. This time the experience was sub par. The service was slooowww and some times non-exsistent. The quality of food at Fellini's was below average and served cold to 2 people in our group. We tried to give Lafridas a second try, thought the 1st time was a fluke, the service was so slow we walked out. I believe the new AI changes are not going over well at these 2 restaurants and it's the AI customers that are paying the price. Not that it should matter on the AI (tips are included) I always tip big, it didn't matter at these restaurants. Will not be back.
Another issue we had was the crowded main pool made even worse on special restaurant event days. Most of the chairs were taken away in the morning. This was exacerbated by the hoards of nonexistent people saving pool chairs at 8am in the morning. This needs to be changed. I hope management is listening.

The congratulations: Our concierge Celestino is the best. Always friendly and going out of his way to make our stay feel special. We look forward to seeing him.
2 great restaurants for food and above and beyond service are The Bistro and Cilantro's. Ate at both multiple time and was never disappointed. The staff is great and work very hard to get it all right. Kudos are in order for Raul and Victor(our waiters) at Cilantro's. Best waiters and service. Always with a smile can't say enough about these 2. Awesome keep it up. Coconut shrimp here are the bomb and I usually don't have them.
Had a couple of maintenance issues throughout our stay and they were handled quickly.
We will be back again and over all had a great time.

• Stayed November 2012
St.Eustache Quebec Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Just came back from one of my best vacation with my family. Loved this place, the staff did a great job from our maid to concierge. The view was wonderful. One good thing is that we rented a car and were able to go around a lot easier. Went to the beach at the two sister hotels in Cabo which was good because my granddaughter wanted to swim in the ocean, which was very warm at the time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I don't understand how anybody could give this place less than a 5 star. Everything was perfect. The villa, the service, the staff, everything was A1.... We had an issue with the wireless connection and the hot water and both issues were fixed within 15 minutes. Would go back to Montecristo in a heartbeat!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

This was our first time to stay at Montecristo. We stayed in Villa 66 which was a great location. Next time we want to stay even higher up the hill for a broader view (we will request a lower number villa, as #1 is at the top). The daily maid service was superb. Our concierge, Azael, did a wonderful job of taking care of all our needs. He helped with our golf outings, set up our fishing trip and arranged for a chef to come to the villa and cook our freshly caught "mahi mahi" dinner. It was delicious and much less expensive than in town. All three couples had wonderful spa services. The shuttle service was superb. We can't wait to come back to Montecristo! Thank you Azael for making our vacation so much fun and relaxing!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I read about 100 reviews on this site about the Montecristo before we came, and it really helped me on my whole trip, so I figured if I posted from my experience I might help someone else. :)

My boyfriend and I arrived to Cabo on Sat Sept. 1 for 7 days, and were approached by several people immediately at the airport after passing through customs asking what we were looking for/how could they help us get to where we were going. Being to Cabo before, we knew to watch out since these were people working for the timeshare companies and trying to wrangle you in for a tour. We've done tours before, and you get good gifts in exchange for signing up, but just be prepared to be there for about 2 hours (they do feed you) and have some great willpower towards the sales reps. They're quite pushy. We were asked by one of the airport solicitors what we were looking for and we said "the Budget rental car counter" (since we had never rented a car in Cabo we weren't sure where to go) and he immediately led us to a girl standing at a booth and she asked us to show her our rental confirmation that we should have printed from our email. I had it and handed it to her, and she placed it down and went into a pitch on the gifts she could offer us if we did a presentation. LOL. We were almost had, but decided to pass on the timeshare gimmick for now. So we went outside and saw a Budget shuttle and it took us about 1/2 mile down the road to the facility. We rented a car (which we had pre-reserved through Amex travel with Budget for 7 days for $85 and were upset to discover when we arrived that this quote did NOT include the $200 mandatory Mexican car insurance for the week.) No one told us anything about that when making the res, so we felt blindsided and taken advantage of. They insisted that the Budget website states this, and the only way around this fee was to have pre-contacted our insurance company in America and have Mexico added to the policy and then provide them with a copy of that addition, OR....we could do a timeshare presentation to avoid that $200 upcharge. Scam scam scam. There were many other Americans at Budget who were going nuts on the staff over this same issue. We decided to do the timeshare thing just so we could get the keys and go. We took highway 1 (straight shot to the resort) and when we passed Costco we stopped for some groceries. We also stopped at Wal Mart for some smaller sized items. We arrived at Montecristo about 2 hours later, and the staff was very friendly. Everyone spoke english, but immediately they were trying to get us to sign up for a timeshare presentation (even though we already are owners there) and also to promise NOT to do any others while in Cabo. That was strange, but we said no thanks and took the car up to the room. We were in Phase 1 which is up the hill. We stayed in #48 which was an AMAZING 3 bdrm, 3.5 bath home. The place was large. There were 5 A/C units that I turned on full blast the moment we walked in since it was so hot out and then we looked around and were just in awe. Upstairs was a nice size marble kitchen and full size fridge with dishwasher and everything we needed for our cooking adventures. There was a 6 person dining table and 3 stools at the counter, a living room with TV and the master bedroom. The bed, I found just a little stiff (so I stole every pillow off all the other beds to throw on there), but the master bath made up for the bed. I loved the large tub that had panel windows that opened up to the outside garden with fountain. Large shower with the rain faucet directly from the ceiling. Walk-in closet. 2 sinks and toilet with a separate door. Right outside the sliding doors in the master was a large hot tub. We were in the hot tub every day. Whether it be in the early AM before it got hot, or in the evening after the sun went down. The daytime was about 90 something degrees, so it was HOT coming from Southern California.
Downstairs was a full size washing machine and dryer, 2 additional bedrooms with great bathrooms, a living room/family room with tv and computer, and the infinity pool. This pool was the absolute highlight of our trip. We splashed around with all the privacy in the world, day and night. It was so clean and our housekeeper who came daily would put little fresh flowers to float around. Such a nice touch! Everything that didn't work, we called the front desk about and within 30 min it was fixed. The fountain out front ran out of water (it was a clogged and they fixed it) and at one point the hot tub started to smell like algae which they came and refreshed the chemicals and cleaned the filter. It was perfect and an hour later we were back in it. There is a free hotel shuttle (big air conditioned van) that will take you (warning: it comes about 5 min from the time you order and they start ringing the doorbell, so be ready) to the Sunset Beach, Pacifica or Rose which are the 3 sister resorts. You can charge stuff to your "room" which was really convenient. We went to the spa at Pacifica which was gorgeous, but the massage was atrociously expensive and mediocre at best. We ate brunch at the Pacifica once which was a sunday buffet our near the pool. It was pretty good. (Be sure to mention you are staying at Montecristo and you get a discount.) We had dinner at Sunset Beach one night which was delicious (there is a pricey Mexican restaurant and another one that has everything, and we ate at the other, but I can't recall the name.) The banana creme pie was the highlight of that meal. We checked out the rooftop infinity pool at the Sunset Beach, which is high on a cliff and gorgeous, but there was LOUD music and a lot of young single people so it felt a little spring break-ish. I'm 33 and that was great 10 years ago, but not so much now. We were more focused on romantic times than partying this trip.

Things I found helpful to know:
1. Costco rocks, just be careful paying with dollars. They stiffed us $100 pesos when we paid in dollars and they gave us back pesos as change. We caught it and the manager came running over and apologized. I'd like to think it was a mistake, but it didn't feel that way at the time.
2. No matter where you go, you will be solicited for timeshare things. Just brace yourself.
3. Depending on your personality (at this point I'm more mellow in my life) I'd avoid Mendano Beach. We had been warned that the solicitors on the beach were pretty aggressive and they were straight up APPALLING. Every step we took it was, "want some blow/coke? want some painkillers? want some weed?" They were aggressive and would follow us down the beach no matter how many times we said 'no gracias'. That was the worst part of the trip. It's sad b/c that beach is where you could rent jet skis, glass bottom boat rides, kayaks, etc. We were instantly disinterested in doing anything anymore, and just wanted to leave.
4. Cabo Wabo has live music at night in a patio area. The menu is small, but they have good finger foods. They play all Van Halen, Bruce Springsteen kind of music.
5. We ate lunch at Squid Roe, which we'd been to on previous trips as a nightclub, but the food was great. They made the guac on the table and it was super yummy.
6. Renting a car is a MUST if you're at the Montecristo. We kept saying, "oh thank GOODNESS we have a rental car." It's a little off the beaten path, so if you want to explore other areas of Cabo, go into downtown, grocery shop, etc it made life 1 million times easier. We spent a fortune in cabs last trip since we stayed at the Hilton Los Cabos on the corridor. (the corridor is a LOOOONG (like 20 miles) worth of hotels on the ocean between the airport and downtown Cabo.) Montecristo is 5 min past downtown Cabo.
7. The house is great for families and multiple guests. It was just us 2 in that huge place, but the rooms are so spread out that I'd imagine it would be really easy to have 2 other couples with us and not feel crammed at all.
8. We ate out a little more than eating in, but there is a nice bbq on the back porch so we grilled up some steaks and hotdogs several nights.
9. Hot water heater works on overtime, so when you turn on the hot faucet which is marked "C" for Caliente, not "C" for COLD, lol, just beware. It's scolding hot if you don't mix in some "F" for frio/cold immediately. Great for washing dishes though.
10. If you rent a car, you have your own driveway, which I liked. This place really felt like home. And people were NICE. All the staff waved every time we drove or walked by.

Bottom line, I loved this place. I'd give it 6 stars if I could. My boyfriend and I are very successful people, and have high standards when it comes to vacations. We don't get much time off, so we like to spend it wisely. This place was the perfect mix of "off the beaten path and relaxing" and "luxurious and playful". We splashed around like kids in the pool each day hitting each other with the pool noodles they left for us. And had romantic dinners with gorgeous views at night. We meant to go to the gym daily, but whoops. haha.It looked nice when we saw it down in the clubhouse when we checked in.
And I know this might come off as a little conceited, but no matter where we went on the island and were asked where we were staying and we said Montecristo, the reaction was always, WOW THAT'S THE NICEST PLACE IN CABO, YOU MUST BE RICH! We didn't care so much about people assuming we were rich, but we LOVED the place and it IS so nice, so it felt good to know that where we were staying gets the credit it's due. We are timeshare owners, so it only cost us $699 for the entire 7 days which made us feel like we'd won the lottery b/c it was available and turned out as amazing as it did. We were told it's normally $1000 a night for the 3 bdrms. We felt very blessed the entire week and didn't fail to acknowledge that every single day.

So that's my review. I hope someone will find this useful. I took so much from the reviews I read before heading to Cabo, and felt more comfortable when we got there. What a spectacular trip, and we've been talking about it non-stop since we've been back, so I hope you go!

Room Tip: I heard the Phase 1 units above the cliff (where we stayed) were bigger and more luxurious, but olde...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Montecristo Estates Pueblo Bonito? Share your experiences!