TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY More info

Ranked #5 of 6 hotels in Guaymas
San Francisco, California
“Not so bad !!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

This was our first stop after crossing the Mexican border.

The hotel is nothing special, the pool is nice for the kids, I regret that there have been many people are drinking beer in the pool.

The staff is helpful, we only stayed one night because the city of Guaymas does not really interest.

Good Stop if you want to continue further south.
Secure and clean

@

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

25 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

We stopped in guaymas exhausted from the drive on ourway to P.V. I think the place is over priced it looks rundown and not clean. The worst thing about the place is it smells like cockroach spray yuk! I didn't see any of the little critters but smells like they were here! The noise was unbearable we had to call the front desk 3 times to see if they could tell the kids to keep it down. The reviews say it is a great place to stay. I would like to know if they are talking about the same hotel.. Think I paid to much around 120.00 US. Will never return!

Room Tip: Don't bother with this hotel!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
San Francisco Bay Area
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

I came with a group so it is difficult to assess some aspects of the hotel. The check-in and subsequent service at the front desk was efficient. Much of the staff speaks at least some English but this is variable. It was never a problem with me because I also speak Spanish. However some of my English only speaking friends did have a few minor problems.

The security at the hotel seemed okay although I had been told by others who have stayed at this hotel that theft by the housekeeping staff is common. As a result, I kept all valuables with me at all times. This aspect has been mentioned by other reviewers.

The interior courtyard of the hotel is quite attractive however the rooms themselves are simply ordinary at best. WiFi is available in the lobby but not in the rest of the hotel. There were a large variety of television stations available on TV including some English language stations. The room furnishings were somewhat Spartan. Lighting, a perpetual complaint of mine in hotels, was somewhat dim; I had to use a flashlight to be able to see into my suitcase.

There were two problems with the room as I saw them. First, the bed has no box springs at all and as near as I can tell, it might have been concrete instead. Everyone in our group commented on the extreme firmness of the beds. This did affect my sleep because one arm or another was almost always asleep. I did not wake refreshed in the morning. The second problem was the shower/tub. Although there is a tub, there is no way to take a bath and a shower is the only option. That being said, the tub surface is slick and there is no safety mat available for use. Some of the members of my group threw a hand towel at the bottom to avoid falling.

The food service was very good. There is a steak house and another more typical, larger Mexican restaurant. Breakfasts were excellent with a large variety of offerings in a buffet style. The steak house was also quite good. The steaks were cooked appropriately and portions were relatively large. I simply loved the platters of various types of shrimp being served. The flan for dessert was outstanding, one of the best I have ever had. The service was also very good.

Noise was also a factor on this trip. One can hear cars starting at all hours and one night a band was playing very loud until well after midnight.

The hotel is located on a major street in Guaymas and the traffic was heavy most of the time I was there. On the positive side, there are a large variety of shops and restaurants within close walking distance.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Marlborough, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Stayed here while we were getting our boat hauled out for hurricane season. Picked the hotel based on other trip advisor reviews and was not disappointed. The rate was very reasonable and the room was clean. Yes, it could use a little updating but not terrible and it was missing smoke alarms like you are use to seeing in the States. We had a Ejectivo room with a king bed overlooking the pool. We paid more as we did not want to have a room facing the main street. Our room was quiet and the AC unit worked well. The maid brought us more towels when I left a note in the morning and the front desk staff was helpful with our limited Spanish and there limited English. The breakfast buffet was very good and offered a wide variety of food. The steak restaurant at the hotel was a great place for dinner and the waitstaff spoke perfect English.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Yuma, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

I'm almost afraid to write what I really feel about the Hotel Armida because it might attract more of the Gringos that currently go to San Carlos, and that could drive the price up. I visit the Guaymas / San Carlos area at least once per month, and have found the Armida to be the best value in the area. The rooms are always clean, the restraunt is superb, and the El Oeste Steakhouse is absolutely the best in Guaymas. Their pool and garden area is absolutely beautiful, clean and well maintained.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

I recently drove from the border at Nogales to Puerto Vallarta. The drive was awesome - especially from Mazatlan to PV. That piece was about 4 1/2 hours. If anyone is looking for a great drive, maybe visit both destinations with a short overnight in Tepic - charming Mtn town. I digress. We were expecting to spend our 1st night at the Holiday Inn in Ciudad Obregon, but after a longer than expected stop for car permit, tourist card and dinner in Hermosillo (Mariscos los Arcos - Delicious!!!) we only made it to Guaymas. We tried to find a hotel recommended by the waiter at Los Arcos to no avail and we spontaneously pulled into Hotel Armida. It is a business class hotel with a nice steak restaurant and it was quite lively for a Thursday. The rooms were not 4 star, more 3 star, but they were safe, comfortable, clean and the grounds are beautiful with a great swimming pool. The breakfast buffet was absolutely amazing. One of th ebest breakfsts I've ever had in Mexico. If you are passing through - at least hit the breakfast! We paid $US65 for a standard room. That was a discount vs the posted rate.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2007

First, I can’t believe that the bad reviews were about the same hotel we stayed at last week (November 14th, 2007). My husband and I drove up to the Armida, exhausted, on Night 5 of a 6 night road trip and couldn’t believe our good fortune. It was all we needed, but not more than we wanted to pay for (resort-style amenities we wouldn’t use). We left the next morning fully refreshed.

Big pluses of the Armida

1. Secure parking (gated with an attendant), convenient to the rooms.

2. Clean comfortable room with nice large bathrooms (ample counter space)

3. Good price. Since we arrived without a reservation, we took what they had left which was the most expensive “Executive Room” (900 pesos, which still isn’t bad). If I were reserving though, I’d be just as happy with the Economical Room at 570 pesos. The only difference I could see between them (from the pictures on their website) was a bit of décor difference and the fact that the Executive Room has a King bed and the others have 2 Queens. From the hotel website, which depicted our room accurately, all the rooms appear to be equally large with work desks and large bathrooms.

4. Excellent Complimentary Hot Breakfast Buffet (including made to order omelettes).

5. WiFi in public areas. The only thing we missed was the lack of WiFi in our room but this wasn’t by any means a deal-breaker because the WiFi worked fine in the restaurant and pool area which were steps from our room. (Possibly if you had a room which opened onto the pool area it would work in your room as well).

6. Two excellent restaurants. When you’ve been traveling all day, the last thing, (in our experience) you want to do in a town or city that is new to you is to hunt for decent restaurants or even get back in your car. Here at the Armida they have two on-site. One, the casual restaurant where the breakfast is served, also serves lunch and dinner. The menu is mostly Mexican (fajitas, enchiladas, etc.) at what appeared to be very reasonable prices. It’s bright and a bit noisy so we decided to eat at El Oueste, their steakhouse. What a lovely place! The décor is like a small and cozy northern hunting lodge (wood paneling, dim-lighting, Buffalo and deer heads on the walls). My husband and I ordered Chateaubriand for two which was as good as any we’ve had anywhere. The 380 pesos plus tip (for two of us) included the Chateaubriand, baked potatoes and veggies and a huge salad/soup bar. Looking around us, the clientele appeared to a mixture of American (or Canadian) travelers like ourselves and locals. There were several local couples out for a nice dinner and a table of 9 young women obviously celebrating a special occasion. Service was pleasant and very efficient. What appeared to be the manager was running around making sure everyone had their drinks and food as quickly as possible.

7. Lovely outdoor pool surrounded by gardens and small fitness room (about 5 pieces of equipment: elliptical, treadmill. Not sure what else).

All in all, this place is a “keeper”. I can’t imagine anyone who wouldn’t like it unless they were unreasonably fussy. It’s not the least bit crummy or dirty and, in my opinion, exceeds the standards of similar places in the US or Canada (Ramada Inn, Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn Express) Having read the bad reviews I kept looking for bugs and dirt and I didn’t find any. Oh sure, the ironing board in our room needed a new foam under pad, but often mine at home does, and it was still very useable. And yes, the frame around the wood door into the bathroom of our room could stand refinishing, but, who cares. This is one of the nicest places I’ve ever stayed at on the road and better value than many equivalent places in the US or Canada. If we find ourselves in Guaymas again when it’s time to stop for the night we’ll definitely be back. In the meantime, I’d recommend it to anyone without reservation.

• Liked — Given our needs (as travellers enroute) everything.
  • Disliked — Small point, but lack of WiFi in the room (but it is in public areas)
  • Stayed November 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Armida Motel? Share your experiences!