“Amazing Experience!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rancho Xotolar

Rancho Xotolar
Camino a Zona Arqueologica, Canada de la Virgen, Municipio de Allende. | Rancho El Xotolar, San Miguel de Allende 37755, Mexico
Website
Improve this listing
Type: Horseback Riding Stables, Ranch & Farm
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to a Working Ranch "El Xotolar", Experience the wide open spaces of rural Mexico not like a tourist, but as a member of the Morín Ruiz Family on Xotolar Ranch. You will ride through spectacular countryside with breathtaking views and stunning landscapes.Guides Tomás and Felíx Morín share their vast knowledge and skills while keeping your safety in mind.After your ride, enjoy an authentic ranch "comida" (luncheon) of delicious, freshly prepared specialties of Xotolar Ranch along with a cold "cerveza" (beer).We are not a commercial tour company, but family owned and operated. We offer a variety of beautiful scenic rides in the mountains outside of San Miguel de Allende. We are located adjacent to ancient Pre-Hispanic Toltec Pyramids, that you will be able to clearly watch from the distance. We can prove with ID and history, that all the staff that makes the tours are the true native. Activities: Horseback Riding adventures, Ranch and Rodeo Demonstrations, Camping, Sunset and Evening Adventures Rides, Cattle Drives for Experienced riders. Hiking tour at Cañada de la Virgin Pyramid and much more, ASKING!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
3 attraction reviews
“Amazing Experience!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

My husband and I got married in San Miguel in July and organized a horseback riding adventure for 25 of our guests for the day before our wedding. I'm so glad we made that decision. The countryside was incredible, the cowboys were both super fun and professional, the horses were safe, and the lunch was one of my favorite meals of all time. Six months later, my friends and family still rave about the experience.

Visited July 2013

Ashland, OR
3 attraction reviews
“BEST RIDE EVER”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Truly, Tomas and his family are well deserved of the rave reviews they have received from everyone fortunate enough to have the time to spend the day with them. I am one of those who is very much a beginner on a horse, as is my spouse, both of us with bad experiences in the past with our horses running wild with us afraid and barely able to hang on. Our day at Xotalar could not have been more different than that. There were as many "caballeros" as there were riders! Safety is the priority with each one of us being watched closely. When we were encouraged to canter, we always had someone ahead of us to control our speed and assist us to stop when we were ready, and those more confident could ride on down the trail. The atmosphere was so much fun with the guys grabbing our cameras to take so many memorable shots from way up above us as we traversed the steep canyon to the river. There was lots of laughter with everyone a joy to be around. Our time on the ranch after our ride was also memorable with such a beautiful lunch made by this family! This was an unforgettable day. I don't believe it is possible to have a bad experience. Call Tomas today! He will pick you up and town where you are staying and you will be happy you experienced this day with him and his family.

Visited December 2013
Greenbrae
13 attraction reviews
“Senor Thomas y famila toto bien!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Booked a ride last week along with a lovely German family for one hell of a great experience. First the children milking the cow then feeding an orphan calf prior to the ride with Roberto in the lead. Cantering thru cactus, horses slipping and sliding down the slick rocks to the canyon bottom, crossing the creek several times along with cantering in the creek splashing water on the following riders, ending with a sterling organic, scratch cooked lunch including cheese made during our ride.

I highly recommend this for everyone including young children. We had two on our ride who were not yet 10 and they are still talking about their experience back home in Mexico City.

Visited November 2013
xotolarranch, Propietario at Rancho Xotolar, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Thank you very much for your advice and good comments, we're glad you enjoyed the ride.We hope to see them again.
Greetings and happy new year.
Tomás!
Santa Cruz, California
“Incredible time - twice was not enough”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

My family and I feel this is the best reason to visit San Miguel de Allende. Some ranches offer horseback riding in the tranquil flatlands, but Rancho Xolotar is in the gorgeous mountains. I'm allergic to horses, so I went on hikes with Pedro. Excellent time that I'll not forget. Meanwhile, my family rode on trails that provided vistas of the surrounding mountains, deep water-filled canyons. and of SMdA. Everyone there was the friendliest and attentive to our desires and safety. My wife grew up on a Arabian horse ranch in a mountainous region of California and says Xolotar was truly and authentic experience and was thrilled to go there twice. The lunch they served was the best food we had in SMdA, and we got to make the cheese we ate! If it wasn't for the Spanish lessons in SMdA we had committed to, we'd have gone to Xolotar a third time. Hurray and thanks to Tomás and family for a wonderful time.

Visited November 2013
San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico
“Breathtaking Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Sure footed, extremely well trained horses. Wonderful staff. Half day ride through amazing terrain, down into a canyon and through a tiny village with an ancient chapel. The absolute highlight when my daughter came to visit. Not for the faint of heart, I might suggest.

Visited March 2013