“Great Place for a Good Value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Carly

You added Casa Carly to your Saves list
Casa Carly
Calzada de la Aurora no. 48, San Miguel de Allende, Mexico (Formerly Casa Crayola)   |
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
“Great Place for a Good Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

We just got back from San Miguel having stayed at what is now called Casa Carly. We were in Casista #1 which backs up to the street so it may not have been as quiet as some of the others. However, it was spacious and had most everything we needed. Bring your own hair dryer as those are not provided. I will say that the bed was not all that comfortable but there are also 2 beds that serve as sofas in the living room that you can switch to. The breakfast which is not included is very good. There is a green smoothie drink that is awesome. Cookies are baked each day. Get those, they are the best! Staff is very sweet and helpful. Having been to SMA before, I feel that it is pretty centrally located for the walk. Not far to the Jardin, maybe 10 minutes.

Room Tip: Casista #1 backs up to the road. If you can get an interior one, it would be quieter.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

Loved staying here! The rooms are large and colorful. The owner is a delightful human being who is American and was willing to share ideas about where to go and what to see while there. There is a small cafe on the premises but I did not eat there. I was able to walk where I needed to go. My friend was able to do a lot of fun things while I was in a conference. I checked in without problems other then the key was a small situation and perhaps has been updated. The room has a kitchen with the basics. Staff was always helpful. Starbucks is up the hill and was a great walk in the morning. There is a spa there which I did not get to visit but when I go back I will be there. Many classes at the spa. Life is a slow pace in San Miguel. My stay was in March 2009 and I could not get to that date.

Room Tip: The owner will assist you with this.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

I was in SMA for 10 days in early November. My room (casita #3) was colorful, comfortable and roomy in a very thoughtful and artistic way. I was greeted by Carlos who was helpful in getting me situated for the night, and who brought me an Advil at breakfast the next AM and patiently diagramed maps and pointed me to easy and convenient places to change money, get my bearings and get to my class location. The grounds were beautiful ( I took more pictures at Casa Carly than out in town---and it is a beautiful town)...and like a private oasis.

One amenity I really appreciated was having a 5 gal cooler of bottled water on the kitchen counter! It helped me stay hydrated and other people I knew stayed in places where they had to buy their bottled water. What a nice treat --a great way to treat their guests.

Room Tip: Casita #6 was quieter and more spacious. I stayed there the first night. Casita #3 was a beautif...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Palos Verdes Estates, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

Here is a breakdown of my stay:

Convenience: 3 stars. First of all, when I arrived in the early morning, I had to ring several times at the front gate, to no avail. I thought we'd be stuck in the street with our luggage, but fortunately my friend was able to use her cell phone (with roaming charges) to reach the owner, who buzzed us inside. Also, it's walking distance to the city center, but I wouldn't recommend that walk late at night or in heels. There's a bit of an upward slope, all cobblestone streets, and a tad further from the town center than a lot of other hotels.

Style/Design: 5 stars. Super charming and colorful. The little courtyard within the entrance gate is like a small oasis. Beautiful--just what you'd want to experience in Mexico!

Comfort: 2 stars. This low ranking is mostly the result of no hot water during the 2nd day of my stay. I tried several times to reach hot water throughout the day, to no avail. I ended up taking a cold shower that night, which was definitely not nice considering I had just come down with a flu. This establishment provides soap and bottled water, but do come prepared with everything else you will need (shampoo, blow dryer, etc.). The large bed is actually two twins put together. They are fairly short (my husband and I are tall), and rather hard and uncomfortable. The duvet was nice, though. Also, I happened to be in town during a festival, so the street noise was quite loud at all hours of the night. The owner's dog may also bark when you're trying to nap.

Hospitality: 5 stars. Very friendly owner and staff. I am sure they'd be willing to help out with questions about the city or how to get around.

Value: 4 stars. Pretty fair prices. While breakfast is not included, I would highly recommend dining there for brunch. The food and drinks were fabulous at the in-house cafe, service was great, prices were fair, and it was conveniently located right next to my casita. Enjoy the scenic outdoors while dining.

Overall ranking: 3.8 stars...or rounded up...4 stars.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

My wife, 14 year old son and I stayed here for a couple nights in July. We loved the room--it was almost like an apartment, with a nice sized living area. Having a semi-separate room with bunkbeds for the kid worked out great for us. The place has a nice, mellow vibe and all the staff were tremendously helpful. For the price, there may not be a better deal in SM.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

I stayed at Casa Carly for 4 nights at the end of July, 2011. This is my second stay there and it works perfectly for me--a folk art business owner on a buying trip to SMA and the surrounding area. The B&B is lovely--large rooms, decorated with humor and folk art, quiet and clean. It is on the end of town closest to the artisan's market and on the road that leads to Delores Hidalgo and Guanajuato. Carly and her assistant, Carlos, were beyond helpful in solving some shipping related issues for my purchases. The cafe is delicious and although not included in the rate, it is very reasonable. I loved the French toast and the yogurt/granola/fresh fruit combo. I got a very good deal on the daily rate by following them on Facebook...perfect for me and I will be back!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

I stayed here with a group of students from Canada doing Practicum work in San Miguel.
We used 5 of the rooms there and had an arrangement to have our meals included. The food was FANTASTIC. Fresh fruits, freshly juiced juices every meal, dessert, and delicious main courses. We had some people in our group that had food limitations and the staff were very watchful of that.The staff were very friendly and VERY helpful, fresh bottled water was brought to our rooms each day, our beds made up, and rooms cleaned daily. The beds were very comfortable and the rooms were spacious. There were 3 of us in the room we were in and we had plenty of space. There were 3 seperate beds, a kitchen area, a bathroom and a large seating area as well as an outside bistro table and chairs. The gardens were beautiful and we saw hummingbirds and butterflies all the time. The staff even helped us out with a bit of Spanish, allowed us to conduct meetings at the end of our day in the restaurant and set up a few excursions for us such as Salsa dancing lessons and a day trip to the Pyramids. The little piece of heaven was also very near, within walking distance, of the city centre where nightly entertainment happened. The bank was close by as well as a very tasty ice cream shop!!
I would go back and stay at this establishment anytime as I had a wonderful experience and would highly recommend this for any travellers.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Been to Casa Carly? Share your experiences!