“Soul food in the heart of Mexico” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa de la Cuesta

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Miguel de Allende
Casa de la Cuesta
You added Casa de la Cuesta to your Saves list
Cuesta de San Jose #32, San Miguel de Allende 37700, Mexico   |
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
“Soul food in the heart of Mexico”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Staying in Bill and Heidi’s magical ‘house on the hill’ fed my soul. Their establishment was undoubtedly the most delicious place I have ever stayed in. I’m reluctant to label it a ‘hotel’ or a ‘bed and breakfast’ because it is so much more – an extraordinary treasure-filled home, a celebration of beauty, a living work of art which breathes the warmth and colour and history of Mexico. From the comfy burnt umber leather chairs on the patio, to the rich ochre and rust and slate blue walls, to the intricate inlaid tiles on the stairs, to the ceramic soap dishes in the bathroom, to the folk art and masks on the walls, to the hummingbird feeders outside my door – every detail, every object has been carefully selected and arranged to delight the senses and soothe the soul.

Sitting down to breakfast in the morning was always a pleasure. While I struggled with some of the unfamiliar Mexican dishes, the intimate atmosphere in which the food was served around the communal table brimming with gorgeously crafted crockery, made for a joyful start to the day. As a host, Bill (Heidi was away) was superb. Unflappable, knowledgable, accessible, witty, warm, he quickly averted my contact lens crisis – I’d left mine at home, and seriously doubted whether I would find disposable lenses in the heart of Mexico, but Bill searched and found and went off to collect substitute lenses for me from an optician in town. And when my daughter and I got lost in San Miguel’s maze of cobbled streets, Bill was there, on the phone, cheerfully directing us out of the maze.

Fast forward a few weeks and I’m sipping a latte in a trendy coffee shop in Los Angeles, perched on a square grey cushion, my laptop on a silver grey metal table. The shop walls, inside and out, are grey. Most of the coffee drinkers are clothed in grey. The windows are framed in heavy black metal, while the buildings and the parking lot outside are – grey. Everything around me seems drained of colour and history. All this grey does not feed my soul. I need to go back to Casa de la Cuesta, and contemplate the mysterious power of beauty.

Room Tip: All the rooms are magical
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Since we arrived till we leave, all the moments and "vibe" were great! Bill is an excellent hostess, kind and very funny :-)
Breakfast really delicious with the music... by the way im listening now hehe
Few steps away from the food & craft fair/market and also from downtown where every thing happens.
Enjoy and send a hug to Bill!

Room Tip: i got the big one with the terrace and top floor :-) its good for the nights you got home late and s...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Casa de la Cuesta is certainly a unique place in several aspects: decoration, view, style, food (outstanding breakfast) and very importantly hosted by Bill (we did not meet Heidi since she was travelling). In addition, Bill is a serious collector of Mexican masks and has a museum at the back of the main house. You cannot miss his personal tour to the museum - it is an exceptional cultural treat. Bill is a wonderful host and a chat with him was always delightful; we can only imagine his wife Heidi to be the same. Consider that the house requires a few up-hill streets to get there (just a couple, not bad at all), so plan your days wisely. The walk is worthwhile the view once you get there. We stayed at the Colibrí room, with exceptional view, and our kids at the Escondido, well selected so one of my sons could have quite time and space for studying. Our outmost recommendation!

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Again, won't regurgitate what other reviewers have stated but yes, it's really great. Staying at Casa de la Cuesta is like staying in a museum. Everything here is a very well oiled machine (housekeeping, instructions on how things work, etc.) I've stayed at all different ranges of places in my travels and for the price point this B&B is really great.

We stayed in the San Miguel room which is more like a suite. The other rooms sit a little back off of the road and might be slightly quieter, however, most of these are large single rooms. I really think you can't go wrong staying in an room, as the rooms facing the center courtyard are gorgeous. The San Miguel room is equipped w/ a small kitchenette (no stove) but beautiful glassware for you to enjoy wine from one of the two private patios/decks. Perfect for a peaceful afternoon enjoying the panoramic view of SMA and soaking in the hot Mexican sun.

The views from everywhere in the house are outstanding -- obviously a LOT of thought went into building the house.

As the other reviewers say the breakfasts are incredible. We had breakfast w/ another couple who is going to have their wedding there at Casa de la Cuesta -- yes, it's that beautiful.

Bill also offers complimentary admission to the Mask Museum which is incredible. It is arguably the best museum in all of SMA, right in the back of the B&B! I wish I had gone back to look at it once more.

You really can't go wrong staying here. There is currently a summer promotion going on -- stay 3 nights for the price of 2 - a killer deal.

Room Tip: All rooms are great -- San Miguel and Garden Casita are closer to the street.
Miami, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I traveled to San Miguel for a personal get away... been dying to go for 15 years. Luckily, I landed at Heidi & Bill's. They are the best at making you feel like family. I ate the best food, (huge, authentic mexican breakfasts) I had while in SMDA... amazing breakfasts that will lasted me until dinner. Bill & Heidi provided lists of things to see and do, great maps and personal recommendations. I really feel like I got to see the best of SMDA. Thanks, guys!!!!

Room Tip: My room, Colibri, had french doors that opened up to an amazing view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Huntington Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

This was a great B&B, the owners (Bill and Heidi) make you feel at home. Wonderful view, great rooms, and a mask museum all in one place. I recommend Casa de la Cuesta to anyone and everyone!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Las Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

At first I thought this place was a little bit too expensive for my vacation in Mexico but it actually worth every penny. In fact, a stay at Casa de la Cuesta alone almost worth the flight flying to San Miguel. The house is absolutely gorgeous. It is one of the most romantic places that I've ever stayed and therefore, highly recommend for couple. The room was spacious and comfortable. Breakfast is big and delicious. Most importantly..the hosts were very friendly and thoughtful.

On the bad side..the bed is hard, the house is not in a good neiborhood and bit of a walk to the main town square (but the taxis are cheap here). However, I still go back to stay here in a heart beat if I was in San Miguel again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa de la Cuesta? Share your experiences!