“Delightful late afternoon meal” 4 of 5 stars

Salida de Celaya 71a, San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: We ate at this restaurant last and again this year. The menu is prefix that varies daily. The price is 99 pesos and they do not accept credit cards. The food was great each time. The restaurant is know by the locals and this is how I learned of it. I have several pictures of the restaurant and the food that was served that I can send if you contact me.
“Delightful late afternoon meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Really enjoyed our meal here. A little out of the way but that is part of its charm. Delightfully clean and bright. It feels like you are being treated to a lovely meal at a good friends home.That would be a good friend who is an excellent cook! The salad is worth a picture and as you eat it you cannot help but feel the goodness flowing into you with every bite. I had the enchiladas and my husband had the mole. It was a struggle for each of us to share with each other.

• Visited February 2014

vancouver
“Wonderful little restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

Sabores y Salsas deserves all the praise, and the high ranking, it receives. I at there twice in March. The salad was fresh and delicately dressed. The soups were very savoury. When I was told the soup of the day was frijole I wasn't optimistic but it was delicious - not too heavy and lightly spiced. Maria provided a vegetarian option for me. Both times it was Squash Blossom enchiladas in red sauce. My friends were very happy with their meat dishes. And the desert! The rich moist choclatey cake with a fresh berry puree was especially memorable.
My meals at Sabores y Salsas were among the best in my 4 month stay in San Miguel. Highly recommended.

Lexington, Kentucky
“A Culinary Awakening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Friends, when I left the hotel this afternoon, I thought I was simply going for lunch, In my wildest dreams, I never thought this unpretentious restaurant, a tad off the beaten path would deliver one of the best meals in my last 3 months in Mexico.

We were immediately seated and warmly greeted by Maria the owner/chef. There is a fixed menu that changes each day and includes everything from flavored water to dessert. The lemongrass water was perfect--light and really quenched my thirst. Next came the salad which was beautifully presented with home made honey mustard dressing with a hint of ginger. Fabulous! Next was the cilantro soup. I had never had anything even remotely similar. Turns out this is one of Maria's own recipes. I couldn't describe it if I tried, but the word "splendor" keeps coming to mind. Incredible. The two entree choices were chili relleno stuffed with chick-pea, and a tilapia with peanut sauce and basmati rice. I got one, my husband the other. Wow! Not one grain of rice was left on the plate, the meal was so divine. The dessert was a work of art. A piece of pound cake, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream that encased chocolate cake with a fresh raspberry compote over it. Needless to say, it was fantastic. Maria says the specials change each day based on the freshest ingredients she can get at the market.

Friends, this culinary feast set me back $120 pesos. Unbelievable. When they open tomorrow I may be standing outside with my nose pressed up against the window. Once is not enough. Wow!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Yardley, Pennsylvania
“What a wonderful lunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

We had eaten at Maria's previous restaurant last year. She told us that she would be moving in the summer to a new location on the other side of San Miguel. When we came back this year in February we try to find her but were unsuccessful. After checking the trip advisor we decided that we wanted to eat at Sabores e Salsas as the reviews were very good. What a surprise when we entered and saw Maria and the pictures that used to be on the wall of her other restaurant. We had an absolutely wonderful lunch. First we had her famous salad which is like a salad I have never eaten followed by a delicious pumpkin soup. For the entrée my husband had chicken with a blue cheese sauce and I had Enchiladas Suizas which is an enchilada with a cheese sauce. We had a wonderful piece of cake with raspberries and Mexican coffee for dessert. As other reviewers have mentioned Maria has a fixed price menu with a choice of two entrées. The cost of the menu is 120 pesos. We know that we will be back to Maria's several times before we leave April 1st.

Los Angeles, California
“Third time is the charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

We tried three times to get to Sabores and Salas and the third time was the charm! What a wonderful culinary experience! This restaurant is open Wed. - Sun. for breakfast and lunch only. The fixed priced menu starts with a delicious salad made of fresh lettuce, carrots, zucchini, Gouda, jicama, amaranth and red cabbage topped with a well balanced orange-ginger mustard dressing. Bread, soup,lemongrass water, and dessert are included. Chef-owner Maria greets each guest and explains what the two entrees are for the day. Since I am a vegetarian, she prepared a special entree for me. The two entrees today were pork in a banana chile sauce and roasted rosemary chicken. She prepared enchiladas for me with both sauces. Scrumptious! Dessert today was a yummy red velvet cake topped with fresh raspberries purée. Yucatan coffee is served with dessert. We loved the food, service, and ambience. Can't wait to return!