“Finally made it. Now one of my SMDA favorites. Excellent food for great price.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sabores y Salsas

Sabores y Salsas
Salida de Celaya 71a, San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: We ate at this restaurant last and again this year. The menu is prefix that varies daily. The price is 99 pesos and they do not accept credit cards. The food was great each time. The restaurant is know by the locals and this is how I learned of it. I have several pictures of the restaurant and the food that was served that I can send if you contact me.
Chocowinity, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Great salad to start along with bread and a chive type spread. Someone has posted a great picture of the salad before. Wonderful bowl of squash cream soup. Main courses today were a white fish in a curry and more sauce plus pork cutlet with mango sauce. Both come with a large serving of rice. The fish drew raves from the four of us who chose it. Scrumptious. Kudos from the one who ordered the pork as well. White cake with berries and chocolate sauce for desert. The basic ingredient of the sauce came from Hershey, PA but the overall effect was quite good. The best cafe de olla I've ever had. Perfect balance of the brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves and orange peel. Needed absolutely nothing added. It's a great place for a Mexican lunch from one to six, closed Sunday and Monday. And the 99 peso price for all above simply can't be beaten. Other places with similarly priced lunches for sure in town, some darn good ones and some cheaper ones. But the quality of the food and portion sizes places this one at or near the top for the money.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Denver, Colorado
“One of the best secrets in SMA.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

This place is amazing. The food served is creative, colorful, artistic, original, and delicious. The service is great and so is the fixed price menu. The only drawback is it's tiny size. That's why most customers are locals and keep it to themselves. Don't want tourists to find this place! Oops! Now you know! Please don't tell anyone, OK?

Visited July 2012
Orange County, CA
“Claustrophobia!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Lovely friendly women run this place. It's just like visiting your mother's kitchen, with everybody stirring and cooking away. The food was very good, tasty and healthy. It's just that... the place was tiny, maybe 10 by 20, with maybe 6 tables and 12 chairs, and it made me just go crazy from claustrophobia. Had we not been joining friends who raved about how much they love this place, I would have left right away. Also, the adjoining street was busy, and with the restaurant being so small, I really got the noise and fumes.

Now, I recognize that EVERYONE loves this place, and probably YOU will love this place. But I pretty much hated being there and will never be back. Still, I'll give it 2 stars, as it's probably just me...

• Visited April 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
san miguel de allende
“Fresh home cook delicious meal !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

Do not expect anything fancy about this place, it's like you were invited to someone house to enjoy a delicious home cooking meal, no menu presented . Best value in town for 99 pesos , I sat down and they served me a refreshing lemongrass tea without ordering then a fresh yummy salad, then a creamy cilantro potato soup .when I was done with the soup the waitress offered me two choices for entree , chicken or pork . I chose the pork and it was yummy. After the entree I got a yummy ice cream and coffee all included in the price 99 pesos. Will be back soon

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
“Our Special Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

We eat at Sabores y Salsas an average of once a month, often to celebrate something. They offer a four course prix fixe which changes daily. You start with a wonderful salad, followed by soup. There is a choice of two entrees (plus a vegetarian option) and dessert. The meal includes agua de sabor and cafe de olla for a cost of 99 pesos. The atmosphere is like eating in someones crowded dining room (only five tables) and the service is very friendly and very basic. You feel you are eating in the home of a great cook with a thorough knowledge of Mexican and world cuisine. The best part is always the warm hospitality of owner/chef Maria Auxilio. They are open Monday - Saturday, noon until 6pm.

• Visited March 2012