“Highlight of our trip!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Classes/Workshops
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Hola y muy bienvenidos! As in all cultures, those born and raised in the society are the best source of knowledge about traditions. As a Mexican native, I inherited my Mexican cuisine knowledge from my previous generations. And my passion too! From my earliest years, I watched my mother, my aunts and grandparents in the kitchen, so I invite you to join me in tranquility to take our aprons and spoons, to use the very fresh ingredients of our Mexican Cuisine, and recreate together those delicious dishes. I love sharing my knowledge about one of the most varied and delicious cuisines in the world. I take pride in customizing my classes to suit the needs of all students -that don't have to stick to a fix classes program calendar- in my cozy kitchen with its antique Mexican molcajetes and metates. Just contact us to arrange your own hands-on class with a maximum of 4 students per class to insure individualized attention to each. Classes are from Monday to Friday, starting at 10:00 am. A special schedule can be arranged for private groups. A minimum number students apply for each class. We offer open custom classes for short stay students and professional intensive courses.
US
“Highlight of our trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

I can't recommend Marilau's cooking school more. We had a group of 6 adults, with varying degrees of aptitude and interest in cooking, and each of us agreed it was the highlight of our trip. We made 5 traditional dishes and took home detailed instructions so that we can repeat them at home. We go to enjoy our delicious creations for lunch and I am looking forward to trying to recreate them myself! Marilau is an engaging, warm and charming instructor and she made me appreciate the history, tradition and variety of Mexican cuisine! If you're even considering doing this, trust me and do it!

Visited September 2013

Atlanta, Georgia
“Marilau's Cooking School - what a great experience!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Marilau's Cooking School in San Miguel de Allende is the perfect experience to learn Traditional Mexican cooking that you would other wise not be exposed to. She is full of knowledge about the history of food and the techniques all passed down from generations of amazing cooks in her family. I learned so much that I am planning on taking the two week intensive and can not wait. Just an amazing experience and I love her passion.
Thank you Maria for sharing your passion.

Atlanta, Georgia
“Wonderful class on salsas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I would rank Marilau's classes as a tie for best thing to do in SMA, alongside the mask museum. Both allow you to learn about the rich cultural heritage of Mexico. We were a class of two and got lots of hands on training. Am planning my own salsa cooking experience now that I am back home. Marilau has a serious but relaxed approach to teaching the class. Would like to return for more classes!
One caution: you will likely need to take a cab. We thought we knew where we were going by checking our map but walked to an entirely wrong part of town.

Christchurch, New Zealand
“Authentic and practical cooking Mexican Style”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

FROM NEW ZEALAND!
My wife and I attended a private afternoon lesson of Marilau's called "Cooking with Corn" while on holiday in Mexico. In our lesson, Marilau taught us how to prepare three different salsa's and use these to prepare multiple Mexican delicacies such as Sopes, Torilla's, Taco's and Enchillada's

Our class happened to fall on our very first day in Mexico and I had certain pre-conceived notions of what Mexican food was. These notions proved misplaced and I was delighted to discover authentic Mexican cooking can be both healthy and versatile. It is remarkable how many flavours can be discovered by cooking with corn and serving with different condiments and salsa's.

Marilau went out of her way for us and held our class on a Saturday even though it is usually her day off. The ingredients we used were all fresh, and most importantly Marilau used both Nixtamal (traditional) and Maseca (substitute) bases to prepare tortilla's which is important because it is difficult to make or find Nixtamal outside of Mexico.

While I wished I had taken better notes, I would definitely recommend Marilau's cooking school to other travelers who are looking for an experience in Mexico that they can take home to share with family and friends.

New York City, New York
6 attraction reviews
“We learned to cook exactly what we wanted to!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We had the opportunity to choose our menu ahead of time which meant we learned to cook exactly what we wanted to! For any food lover wanting to learn new techniques, and understand some of the basics behind Mexican cooking and flavors, this is a wonderful, practical hands-on class. After we prepped and prepared our menu, we sat down to a delicious lunch. Marilau is the real thing…she's smart, informed, professional and an all around A+++teacher and person.