“For those who want to learn about real Mexican food” 5 of 5 stars

Calle de La Luz # 12 | Colonia San Antonio, San Miguel de Allende 37700, Mexico
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Hola y muy bienvenidos! As in all cultures, those born and raised in the society are the best source of knowledge about traditions. As a Mexican native, I inherited my Mexican cuisine knowledge from my previous generations. And my passion too! From my earliest years, I watched my mother, my aunts and grandparents in the kitchen, so I invite you to join me in tranquility to take our aprons and spoons, to use the very fresh ingredients of our Mexican Cuisine, and recreate together those delicious dishes. I love sharing my knowledge about one of the most varied and delicious cuisines in the world. I take pride in customizing my classes to suit the needs of all students -that don't have to stick to a fix classes program calendar- in my cozy kitchen with its antique Mexican molcajetes and metates. Just contact us to arrange your own hands-on class with a maximum of 4 students per class to insure individualized attention to each. Classes are from Monday to Friday, starting at 10:00 am. A special schedule can be arranged for private groups. A minimum number students apply for each class. We offer open custom classes for short stay students and professional intensive courses.
Portland, Maine
10 attraction reviews
“For those who want to learn about real Mexican food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Marialau is a consummate professional and purist when it comes to authentic Mexican food. I learned so much about the history of food in various regions in Mexico. I took a private course and was able to choose the items I wanted to learn to make from an extensive "menu". Marialau is patient and detailed in her teaching. I learned several new techniques that will be applicable to recipes beyond the ones we prepared in her comfortable, clean, homey kitchen. What I appreciated most about this class and Marilau's style is that she imparts her vast knowledge of authentic "ancestral" cuisine rather than trying to adapt some native ingredients to foreign sensibilities. In her kitchen, many myths about Mexican food were unraveled and debunked. The final product was delicious and left me feeling nourished but not weighed down! Thank you, Marilau for the great lesson and the interesting conversation.

Basel, Switzerland
“A San Miguel "must" for foodies”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

The moment I stepped into Marilau Ricaud's kitchen, I knew I was in for a treat. It was off-season in San Miguel, but the sunny kitchen of Marilau Mexican Ancestry Cookery School was set for action. We got acquainted over a glass of cooling hibiscus tea, then launched into several hours of delightful conversation, working with chilies and making salsas, including plenty of time for tasting the results.

In all, I took three classes with Marilau. They were all hands-on, very professionally organized and delivered, and enjoyable as can be. Highly recommended for anyone looking to dive into Mexican cooking, or take their skills up a notch! Come prepared to chop, stir and learn the family secrets behind some extraordinary flavors.

For more about my sessions with Marilau, read "Retro kitchen magic with Mexican cuisine" on my blog, Anita's Feast http://bit.ly/14NBhRx

Visited May 2013
“Fun, delicious, and informative”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Excellent teacher, very knowledgable, authentic cooking of the region. And as Steve h said, " I finally learned how to cook rice!"

Coral Gables, Florida
“Cooking with Marilau”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I spent 4 days cooking with Marilau. She teaches you in her kitchen- a home kitchen- that is not fancy and filled with high end equipment. It is a home kitchen so you know you can prepare great food too. It was a great experience as she let me pick the things I wanted to learn to cook and she made some suggestions after I told her what I liked and how I entertained. I was surprised how easy and delicious the salsas were to make.
Cooking alone with her is a little expensive as the minimum is two people so if you go talk a friend into going with you as you will pay for it anyway.
She gives you ingredients but not directions on cooking.This might be a problem but you have time to write it down in a way that you best understand while doing it and she will go over all you have written. She loves her culture and treasure her cusine. You will too if you spend time in her kitchen.

San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
“An Exciting Day at Marilau!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Marilau designed a cooking class tailored to the needs of our group and we could not have been more pleased.
She is patient, engaging, informative and extremely well versed in the cuisine of Mexico.
We absorbed a number of new techniques and corrected some bad habits we had picked up along the way. Finally, we know how to cook rice correctly, in the Mexican tradition.
We were a diverse group with cooking skills ranging from profession to amateur.
Our only regret was not being able to spend an entire week with Marilau!