“Don't expect any luxury, but staff is amazing” 3 of 5 stars

You added Casa Carmen to your Saves list
Casa Carmen
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   31, San Miguel de Allende 37700, Mexico   |
Texas
“Don't expect any luxury, but staff is amazing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

A little disappointed at for $150 dlls a night I expected a clean/new or remodeled place. It's an old house with a gorgeous courtyard. The cook and staff saved the day, great people, good location, but I don't think I would stay there again unless their prices were lowered. Food is included though, but generally you will only have breakfast there (which is OK) It's truly a bed& breakfast.
If you are planning on purchasing and shipping stuff to the U.S.
DON'T HIRE Alan Kent Moving Company, he shipped some very valuable pieces to Texas and my merchandise arrived broken, he made me paid in full even before I got it knowing that the piece have been broken before it crossed the border and even made me pay $100 dlls. more for extra packing! Better hire someone professional like La Union, it is more expensive but it is worth it!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Dear Beba,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. And thank you for the compliments to my staff. I will certainly let them know. I'm so sorry that your stay with us was unsatisfactory, we strive to make our guests' stay a memorable one in Mexico and the fact that so many of our guests return is a testament to our efforts.

Regarding the price you mention, I would just like to clarify that you must have stayed in our penthouse suite, that is the reason for that price; the other rooms are $96 for a single, discounted to $88 for a 1 week stay and we apply another discount if staying over 25 days.

Secondly, we always endeavor to have our premises impeccably clean. I will check the date that you stayed with us and will look very carefully to see what happened when you stayed with us and definitely make adequate changes where needed.

Also, please give us more information regarding your response on the quality of your sleep here. One of the advantages of Casa Carmen and the reason many people pick us is that we are only one block from the Jardin. It is a very sought after location. But it is certainly an area that is typically noisy with the church bells and all the festivities that typically occur near the Jardin.

I agree with you, Casa Carmen is a typical B and B and we pride ourselves in being the first one in San Miguel, since over 50 years ago. Little by little we have been remodeling and the quality in the food has dramatically changed using only the best seasonal products and our staples are the best quality (I’m a nutrition consultant). Next time you come you will notice even more improvements and new homemade marmalades, for example. We are not a Boutique hotel and will always strive to keep the same atmosphere that entails a B & B.

I will appreciate your comments and take them into serious consideration.
Again, thank you so much for your comments.
Cynthia
Casa Carmen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

I stayed in Casa carmen with my family and we all enjoyed this wonderful house, the lovely atmosphere, the excellent breakfast ans the quiet colonial patio.
Casa Carmen is a great adress for leisure located right in the center of San Miguel.

Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Dear Chil0e,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about Casa Carmen. And for writing such a nice one. As a return guest we will be happy to offer you a discount. We greatly appreciate your comments and are very happy that you had a nice time at Casa Carmen. We have new breakfast goodies!
Hasta Pronto!
WashintonDC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

Returning to Casa Carmen is always a treat. I always look forward to my stay there and to the old world hospitality that one receives from the owner, Cynthia Kulander, and her employees. The cook, Dona Beatriz, is truly a find. Here you will find the best Chiles en Nogada as well as other traditional central Mexico dishes that you won't find in restaurants anywhere. And the breakfasts are to die for as well.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Ghibellina,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is greatly appreciated specially coming from a guest that keeps on returning to Casa Carmen. Next time you visit us you will find new additions to our breakfast!
My staff and I are always happy to receive such good reviews. I will let Dona Beatriz know that you remembered her Chiles en Nogada, she will be thrilled.
Thank you!
Nashville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

Casa Carmen exudes the flavors of Mexico. The rooms are centered around a private courtyard with seating for quiet reading or hanging out with friends. The rooms offer traditional Mexican furniture, authentic and simple in design. Our room was large with a closet and a private bathroom.

Breakfast includes traditional Mexican dishes, and American bacon is available for those of us who just can't give up our favorite breakfast meat. The owner, Cynthia, is eager to please, and her staff are available to help with whatever you need. When requested, Cynthia's staff prepared several appetizers (fresh guacamole, cheeses, empanadas, etc.) and brought out sangria and tequila for our group. The lunch entrees were yummy, too. We always started with a bowl of soup followed by a traditional Mexican entree and a sweet dessert to finish.

The location of Casa Carmen is perfect! It is a short block or two to the large church and the city garden. It is easily within walking distance of all the best the town has to offer.

There is a computer in the lobby for use by the hotel guests, and Cynthia's office is close by.

I highly recommend Casa Carmen for the traveler who wants to experience authentic Mexico. I commend Cynthia and her staff for their willingness to tackle whatever we needed. They want to please!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Nashvegas,

We at Casa Carmen appreciate all reviews about their stay at our B&B. My staff and myself would like to thank you for yours as well. Your well written and descriptive one will help others view what Casa Carmen is really all about. We are looking forward to your next visit!
Again, thank you so much for your kind review.
Brentwood, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

From the beautiful courtyard filled with flowers and lemon trees, to the delicious and authentic cuisine, to the friendly staff willing to do whatever it takes to make one's trip a pleasurable experience, I would highly recommend Casa Carmen as a great place to stay in San Miguel. The convenient location within easy walking distance to the center of town (El Jardin) and the charming owner who speaks both Spanish and fluent English make this B&B a haven for travelers.

• Stayed October 2010
Richard C, Staff at Casa Carmen, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
On behalf of Cynthia, the owner, and the whole staff of Casa Carmen, I would like to thank you for writing a glowing review. We are proud of our long tradition of providing the best service and accommodations for those who stay with us, and we hope to see you again.
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

Casa Carmen is charming with a beautiful courtyard. Most of our rooms open up onto this area. There is a dining room and breakfast and lunch were included. We explored and toured every day and returned to a delicious,traditional Mexican meal.
One evening they served us margaritas and wonderful snacks while a 3 piece mariachi band played.
I would definitely stay there again. The location is perfect for touring the areas and everyone is very helpful in giving directions, making suggestions or even getting a great masseuse who came to the hotel.

• Stayed September 2010
Richard C, Staff at Casa Carmen, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you very much for providing a review of Casa Carmen. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay here and hope you will come visit and stay with us again.
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

very cozy, and excellent location for everything. a block from the Jardin. The city is lively, and sometimes it was noisy at night, but I had no problem sleeping. I felt like I was part of the city. The atmosphere was warm. Not a luxury hotel, but who needs luxury if you have this sort of warmth.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Casa Carmen? Share your experiences!