TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY More info

“Basic hotel in stunning location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Posada Barrancas Mirador

You added Posada Barrancas Mirador to your Saves list
Posada Barrancas Mirador
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Est Chepe Km 622 | Estacion Posada Barrancas, 33421, Mexico   |
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Copper Canyon
Jerusalem, Israel
“Basic hotel in stunning location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

The best hotel at this stop on the Chepe train from Chihuahua to Los Mochis, all rooms are the same and like the dining room and public terrace, have a balcony perched directly over the breath-taking canyon. The furnishings are basic but adequate. Our main complaint is that the dining and lounge areas were inadequately heated. There was one charming wood fire set each evening (we were there for 3- most stay for 1 or 2) but this was far from sufficient to warm the space and on the cooler evenings many sat in their coats for dinner! My other gripe is that much of the china and glass was chipped. However, the rooms were kept clean and the staff were friendly and helpful.
Most people come here for the wonderful zip line, about to be extended to become the longest in the world. We took a wonderful private guide (Gustavo Lozano 635 104 9307) to outlying Tarahumara villages and also hired horses for a guided walk through the nearby forests where more Tarahumara live. A small settlement is situated just below the hotel too and the personable Mirador guide David takes visitors there daily at no extra charge, and also on an early morning walk.
We had bought our train tickets to continue to Los Mochis in order to fly on from there to Mexico City but were advised to get off 3 hours earlier at the previous stop, El Fuerte, a charming, authentic, colonial small town. From there we took an early taxi for 1 hour 20 min. ride to the airport. This cost more overall but saved travelling time and was worth it to us.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

What a wonderful overnight alongside & perched magically at the edge and top of the copper canyon. Wonderful walks & a cable car nearby. An overnight from and to Los Mochis on the train. Food a bit pedestrain, but nothing wrong with it!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We spent two nights at the Mirador during our Christmas vacation. The hotel is lovely inside and out. The interior has many original paintings and decorations that exude the natural beauty of the location. The food was also wonderful- a generous buffet for breakfast, chicken or fish served at lunch, beef or chicken for dinner. Lunch and dinner include soup, bread, and a nice dessert.

It was very cold in late December. Our room was toasty, but the reception, dining room, and bar were colder than a meat locker! Guests were wearing gloves, scarves, hats, and ski clothing. I understand that there is no air conditioning anywhere at the hotel in the hot weather. You would think that management would go all the way to satisfy customers' basic needs...but they don't! They have done so many things well at the Mirador, why not go all the way?

Room Tip: We were halfway down the main block of rooms up the stairs. It was quiet and had an exceptional view...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ingolf
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

We stayed here on our tour of the Copper Canyon in Jan 2012. We booked our tour through The California Native who did an excellent job of arranging everything for our unescorted tour. We had made special arrangements to stay overnight at the Mirador in the middle of our tour and were not disappointment. There were very few of us staying at the hotel, the food and dining room service were sufficient but not as spectacular as the views of the canyon which is after all the reason for staying here. My only regret was I did not find out about the zip line adventure that is operated next door by the same company that owns the hotel. I wish they had promoted it more. By the time I found out about it I did not have time to do the zip line but did take the tram ride. If you stay here plan on including time for the zip line.

Room Tip: do the zip line
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Mexico DF
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I planned this trip with my girlfriend with some months in advance and she had no clue I would propose to her during the trip. I was in contact with the hotel personnel for organizing the proposal (which actually took place at the Divisadero Overlook). It was a memorable moment and it was all possible thanks to the hotel personnel. Diana and David helped me organize everything. The hotel rooms are extremely romantic and very rustic. They fit in with the views perfectly. The king size bed we had was super comfortable and the cleanliness of the room very good. We also loved the fact that meals are included with the price and the meals and service are very good, specially breakfast. Lunch and dinner are good, don't expect anything gourmet, but you will get excellent meals which fit in perfectly with the environment. In our experience every person at the hotel is kind and they make strong efforts to make you feel at home. Specially David, Diana, Israel and Tomas. The views from the rooms, lobby and restaurant are simply amazing!!! In our opinion the price is very fair. Also don't hesitate in taking some of the tours they offer directly at the hotel. Our favorite one was a 6-8am hike to see the sunrise and some Tarahumara homes. I want to go back every year!!!

Room Tip: Choose a room on the second floor and if possible the farthest from the reception. But if you can...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Rio de Janeiro
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I gave this review a lot of thought, so that other travellers get to know what I didn't. If you are planning your copper canyon trip, please read it.
Posada Mirador is not a hotel, As the name suggests, it's a POSADA (guesthouse, in spanish).
Granted, it is a pretty big posada, with over 80 rooms. Such capacity would require a least investment in service and, in their case, that is close to none.

Posada Mirador has undoubtably the best view, amongst the other options. The balconies in almost every room offer full time private canyon view, as well as the shared restaurant balcony.

Trouble starts with access. From the Posada entrance, at the main road, to the actual door, there is a 10 minute uphill walk. And, by "walk", I mean HIKE, on an unpaved, uneven, gravel road. No pulling your wheeled luggage here. So, if you happen not to arrive with the train (only time when they will mind to pick you up down there), prepare your deltoids, because you will have to haul your own stuff up there. I mean, REALLY UP there,

When I finally got up there, I find out that my reservation is not actually for the posada mirador, but for their poor cousin, the "Rancho". No arguing, Posada is fully booked and I was "lucky" I could still get Rancho. Maybe next night

Well, Guess where Rancho is? Yeah, downhill. Exactly where I began my hike from. At least, I got offered a ride down there.

So, Rancho is the poor cousin of a mexican over-capacity guest house. Upon arrival to my room, I get greeted by a spider on the wall. Not a big scary spider, but one you wouldn't want crawling about, while you sleep. 2 inches maybe, legs fully stretched. BAM, it's dead.

Within 10 minutes I had found 3 more, including one inside the toilet bowl. Yeah, not funny. Justice be made, I guess this is an issue any countryside hotel could face, so I decide not to give it too much importance. Just double check every single corner, push your bed to the center of the room, and you should be fine.

The room itself is a joke. One of the beds had one of its feet broken, making it completely unstable. Of course, I only found that out late at night, when no one, literally not one single soul was available. Pillows were made from the cheapest chips of foam you could possibly think of, bagged together. Same quality for furniture and linens.

Rancho doesn't have any facilities AT ALL. Front desk is empty 24/7, "lobby" is an old room with absolutely NOTHING in it, just a big, old, empty room. With a deer head on the wall.

Dinner time, let's hike back up to Posada. That's where all the action takes place. Posada has a fairly big dining room, with huge tables you must share with other parties. Dinner is served from 7pm - 8:30pm, and within that span only. You actually have to be seated at that time, otherwise you will miss the first course.

Yes, dinner comes in courses, served at the tables. Options are: ONE. There is ONE meal option, take it or leave it. Mine was a quite edible chiken breast with some kind of omelet, I think. It was okay, but made me wonder what happens if you don't like the only choice.

Ah, mind you... The Posada takes dinner reservations, even if you are not staying there. So people from all over the world can experience hell with a view. The problem is that the dining room is not big enough to hold full hotel occupancy PLUS reservations. And, since reservations have priority seating, you may be LEFT OUT of dinner, regardless you being a guest there. Yup, it happened to a couple I met there, and the answer to "so where should we eat?" was "there is nowhere else, señor". Since meal is served on such tight schedule, and not again, there is no waiting for an available seat.

So I had my lousy meal, and went down to my lousy room to try and get some sleep. Checked the room for any more spiders, and laid down. No TV, no air conditioning, just me and my ipod.

And some horrible creature trying to make its way from hell through my toilet, every 20 minutes, all night long. Some kind of air or water reflux down the piped made my toilet bowl bubble loudly, splash around and gargle. Every. Twenty. Minutes.

As soon as the sun came out, I packed my stuff, hiked back to the posada and demanded a new room. Front desk was not impressed by my sweaty, wheezy figure, and said they would try something later at noon, "if I stayed there to guarantee". So now I also have to throw away half a day of activities, in hopes some other guest will vacant a room, and BE THERE to be sure it will be mine. A bit more than 15 minutes of explaining the concept of "reservation" allowed me to get something else done with my life.

So I come back later that afternoon and am gladly offered a room at the Posada. They have rooms in 3 different levels, and I am offered either one up the "colina" (hill), or one on the lower level. I am already tired of all the hiking so I take one at the lower level. After all, it's just one night and I wasn't planning on spending it on a nice balcony.

Big mistake. The room I stayed in was incredibly dark. Two 60W table lamps was all I had, although the bathroom had a lamp probably designed for a chicken farm. It generated so much heat, it was impossible to stand underneath it for over 2 minutes. Or to sit.

The room had the same rustic look as the Rancho room, although it seemed a little more "on purpose". Bed was ok, but pillow was the same foam-flake-bag you'd expect to get at a community shelter.

But the biggest nightmare wasn't there. It was actually a morning-mare. These rooms (75-83) are just under the dining room. At 7AM, I was woken by staff moving furniture around, preparing the room for breakfast. Nice symphony of chairs and tables being knocked and dragged, over the wooden floor that made my ceiling. That went on until I totally gave up on sleeping, and decided to go get breakfast myself.

Ah, breakfast. Fruit (3 choices) eggs, sausages and chilaquiles (mexican delicacy, basically nachos soaked in salsa, with mashed black beans to follow). No bread, no toast, no nothing. Well, they did have tortillas, so I guess their concept of "international breakfast" is limited to their own nationality.

So it's 9am, I had some fruit and juice for breakfast and decide to head back to my room to pack my stuff and chill a little. Maybe a quick nap.

Clickytty-clack, someone is trying the door. Fortunately I have the latch on, so they will probably go away, right? Nooo! Insistent knocking, I go check what's up. It's the maid, and she wants to clean the room. It's 9:30am and checkout supposedly is at noon, so I politely ask her to come back later. She gives me an extremely impatient look, puffs and says "may I AT LEAST take the towels?".

I don't want to pick a fight, so I let her in. She swiftly removes both towels from the bathroom and all the linen from the beds, throws them on the balcony across the room and leaves, to my complete disbelief. She wasn't planning in CHANGING anything, she just took it all and left.

So now I am left in this room with no sheets on the bed, for a nap, or towels in the bathroom. Luckily, I had showered before breakfast. Basically, I was kicked out of the room at 9:30am by a grumpy maid.

At this point, I decided I had had it, and that staff wasn't going to do bananas about it anyway, so I packed and left.

Well, If you got to this point, I hope you found my review as useful as amusing. If you are planning a trip to Divisadero, consider the other hotel that rests on the cliff. The view is as amazing, and their service is much better. I actually called THEM asking for help to move around and, although they weren't able to get me a taxi, they sent one of their staff members to pick me up and different locations, for a tip. They are also very close to the Divisadero train station, so everything you need is a few steps away.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here. Please.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Rio de Janeiro
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Posada Barrancas Mirador? Share your experiences!